post #181 of 2891 Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by esjerry View Post

I got my BDP-S1 on Dec 6th, just couldn't wait any longer. I intend on taking it back as it has locked up on me 4 time, 3 of these time I had to unplug the unit and let it reboot, it has done this on SD-DVDs and BDs. never on the same disc. I find the image to be very soft and not near as 3D looking as my JVC D-VHS deck. In order to see detail in black I had to set a memory with the black level turned up as high as I could. The unit does a poor job in high contrast scenes such as daylight and a shadow this lproblem exist on both BD & SD-DVDs, ie Great Raid chapter 10, the shadowed parts of faces are black with little to no detail, WTC and Phantom is just as bad, I don't have this problem with either my Denon 3910 or Oppo 981. I was also disapointed with the deinterlacing of SD-DVDs. Recognizing Bd to be in its infancy I am still disapointed, I will say the BDP has less video noise than my D-VHS and is very smooth on 24fps mode during film based material, that is about all it excells in. I put my name on the waiting list for a Pioneer. I have a Panasonic AE900 720p 3LCD projector and took the unit to a friends house and hooked it directly to his Sony VW50 and had the same image complaints.

I have had the same freezing problems. However, I have had no problems with black levels and I don't recall anyone else having mentioned problems. Have you checked the color space settings? If you have DVI in the chain, as I do, it has to be set to 16-235 to avoid black level problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2891 Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pioneer the same? It seems I suffer from a disorder known as "Early Adopter Syndrome" I have so many gripes about the Sony I would like to try something else. One of the local Magnolia employees is an EE and has taken the cover off the Sony,Pani & Pio pre production units and says it is built the best, I borrowed the Pio proto type and in the short time I had it thought it looked pretty good compared to the D-VHS unit. On Dec 27th I will be able to compare what I have to a freinds PS-3. I hope I have the pio by then, if not it will be the BDP-S1, if I don't see a great deal of difference I will trade it for a PS-3 and may get a used Toshiba HD player. I hear that Denon is working on a BD player but not to expect it before fall 2007.
post #183 of 2891 Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Could a few more BDP-S1 owners report if they are having any freeze ups on SD or BD and also any owners that are not having any freeze ups if you would mention that also. Too often only the people having problems report on them and we never hear from owners that are happy and problem free. I'm trying to make a purchasing decision and determine if this is an across the board problem.

Had one for a couple weeks now with no glitches at all....and ironically enough ..it even syncs perfectly at 1080p with my Optoma H-78...which is a 720p pj. ...that happens to accept 1080p

I have watched at least a dozen BD's, and my family has watched at least that many sd dvd's without a hitch.
post #184 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I have had the same freezing problems. However, I have had no problems with black levels and I don't recall anyone else having mentioned problems. Have you checked the color space settings? If you have DVI in the chain, as I do, it has to be set to 16-235 to avoid black level problems.

dsinger,

Please tell me more. My BDP-S1 is due delivery tonight (UPS) and I will be at the new house Fri night & most likely connect it early Sat morn. My TV has the DVI connection, so please tell me what other (additional?) settings I should choose for optimal performance! It was a lucky snag for me just spotting your 16-235 setting suggestion! I'd like to set it up right THE FIRST TIME if possible. Also, did you choose 1080i or 720p...as I'm assuming your TV (like mine) is just 1080i capable.

Thanks in advance,
Ty-K
post #185 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esjerry View Post

.... I was also disapointed with the deinterlacing of SD-DVDs. Recognizing Bd to be in its infancy I am still disapointed, I will say the BDP has less video noise than my D-VHS and is very smooth on 24fps mode during film based material, that is about all it excells in. I put my name on the waiting list for a Pioneer. I have a Panasonic AE900 720p 3LCD projector and took the unit to a friends house and hooked it directly to his Sony VW50 and had the same image complaints.

Sorry about your general malaise with the Sony BDP-S1, I'm quite happy with mine. I have it paired with a Sony VPL-VW100 via a Lumagen Vision HDQ. Since acquiring the BDP-S1 I'm actually using my Sony 1080p Ruby more than I was before it arrived...

I'm guessing the 24fps playback was done with the VPL-VW50 and not your AE900???
post #186 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TytaniumK View Post

dsinger,

Please tell me more. My BDP-S1 is due delivery tonight (UPS) and I will be at the new house Fri night & most likely connect it early Sat morn. My TV has the DVI connection, so please tell me what other (additional?) settings I should choose for optimal performance! It was a lucky snag for me just spotting your 16-235 setting suggestion! I'd like to set it up right THE FIRST TIME if possible. Also, did you choose 1080i or 720p...as I'm assuming your TV (like mine) is just 1080i capable.

Thanks in advance,
Ty-K

I am not going to be of much further help. Using 16-235 solved black level problems as well as contast for a DVI hookup. I use a Lumagen HDP video processor and the player is set to output 480i over HDMI for SD and 1080i for BD. The Lumagen deinterlaces and scales both to 1080p for my 65" 1080p Panny plasma. IMO the SD PQ is excellant and BD very good to excellant. Check the manual regarding player setting possibilities. The 3 memory setting available allow you to tailor color/hue etc to your tastes. Play around with these until you are happy.

One final thing on DVI. The player I have reverts to something other than 16-235 (0-255 ?) when turned off although 16-235 remains identified as the choice in the menu. If you turn it off, go into the setup menu and click on 16-235 again before playing a movie!
post #187 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I am not going to be of much further help. Using 16-235 solved black level problems as well as contast for a DVI hookup. I use a Lumagen HDP video processor and the player is set to output 480i over HDMI for SD and 1080i for BD. The Lumagen deinterlaces and scales both to 1080p for my 65" 1080p Panny plasma. IMO the SD PQ is excellant and BD very good to excellant. Check the manual regarding player setting possibilities. The 3 memory setting available allow you to tailor color/hue etc to your tastes. Play around with these until you are happy.

One final thing on DVI. The player I have reverts to something other than 16-235 (0-255 ?) when turned off although 16-235 remains identified as the choice in the menu. If you turn it off, go into the setup menu and click on 16-235 again before playing a movie!

OK, thanks dsinger!

I will read the manual & play around w/the settings this weekend--when I actually get to our retirement house--and see what happens. I have a rear-projection 51" Hitachi (UltraVision) HDTV w/DVI input which is why I was asking. Already bought the HDMI-to-DVI cable...so I'm ready! Also bought 6 BLRs at Best Buy & ordered 4 more from Amazon (better prices). Can't wait to hook this puppy up...and listen to it thru my 750-watt Onkyo Home Theatre (already connected). Expecting good things! Thanks for your advice...I'm definitely a novice in the blu-ray field so far!

Ty-K
post #188 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 07:33 AM

HDMI set to AUTO, I notice HDMI switches to 480p intermittently when viewing DVDs & BDs.
post #189 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM

Will the Sony up-rez SD discs to 720p through component or am I stuck with 480p?

Jim
post #190 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney View Post

Will the Sony up-rez SD discs to 720p through component or am I stuck with 480p?

Jim

None of the players do that.
post #191 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply. Second question, can I output 480i through component? I have a faroudja that will process 1080i to 1080p and 480i to 960p. It will not handle 480p.

If I have to, I can go through an elaborate scheme to change HDMI to DVI-D to Component (stripped HDCP) but what a pain in the ass. I'm feeding a G90 which has relatively new tubes and I knew I would eventually reach this roadblock...just hoping it's a little further down the road.

Jim
post #192 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney View Post

Thanks for the reply. Second question, can I output 480i through component? I have a faroudja that will process 1080i to 1080p and 480i to 960p. It will not handle 480p.

If I have to, I can go through an elaborate scheme to change HDMI to DVI-D to Component (stripped HDCP) but what a pain in the ass. I'm feeding a G90 which has relatively new tubes and I knew I would eventually reach this roadblock...just hoping it's a little further down the road.

Jim

It will output 480i thru component.
post #193 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Could a few more BDP-S1 owners report if they are having any freeze ups on SD or BD and also any owners that are not having any freeze ups if you would mention that also. Too often only the people having problems report on them and we never hear from owners that are happy and problem free. I'm trying to make a purchasing decision and determine if this is an across the board problem.

Have owned BDP-S1 since about first of December and have encountered zero glitches or freeze-ups. Serial number is S01-8007835-H SPEED, however, was very slow load but I understand that this is disc problem. I have also owned the Samsung player since introduction with zero freeze-up or drop outs. I also have Toshiba HD-DVD player and it is difficult to get through a movie without drop outs and lip sync problems. The Toshiba also has experienced several freeze ups requiring power off to resolve. Both Samsung and Toshiba players have latest software. Of the three players, the Samsung seems more refined in its operation with the Toshiba at the bottom.
post #194 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

I have to say, I actually prefer this players hdmi-dvi picture when upconverting sdvd's vs. my HDA1. the colors just seem better or more right I guess. I will give the edge to the Tos for the sharpness/depth of image but the image just seems more pleasing to the eye with Sony. I'm going into a Mits 55" crt by the way.
post #195 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM

General Question:
I just purchased the BDP-S1 and hooked it up to a Sony KDL46xbr2 1080p TV via
HDMI cable. The BD's I have played up until now are amazing, but the SD's are marginal at best.What can I do to sharpen them up?? I have already:
1)Calibrated the tv(using settings from the Bravia forum)
2)When I ran through the start-up menu(step6),I selected the "1080p"option for video output format.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm just diving into this complicated buisness.
post #196 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Try outputing SD as 480i over HDMI and letting the LCD do the scaling. Perhaps it does a better job. Finally, what is your point of reference. I output SD as 480i but use an external video processor. Relative to prior DVD players I have owned, I think the PQ is great BUT it will never match BD.
post #197 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM

I recieved my BDP-S1 today. I connected it to my Sony Pearl by HDMI.
Put in "Kingdom of Heaven" and it worked fine. Switched of the player and
turned it on again 1-2 hours later to try a few more discs.
Now it will not load "Kingdom of Heaven" anymore!

The following discs do work:
Fifth Element
Rocky
All the Kings Men

The following discs do not work:
Kingdom of Heaven
Black Hawk Down
Talladega Nights

SD DVDs are working.

I unplugged the player but it did not help. Any ideas whats i could do?
post #198 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildZero View Post

I recieved my BDP-S1 today. I connected it to my Sony Pearl by HDMI.
Put in "Kingdom of Heaven" and it worked fine. Switched of the player and
turned it on again 1-2 hours later to try a few more discs.
Now it will not load "Kingdom of Heaven" anymore!

The following discs do work:
Fifth Element
Rocky
All the Kings Men

The following discs do not work:
Kingdom of Heaven
Black Hawk Down
Talladega Nights

SD DVDs are working.

I unplugged the player but it did not help. Any ideas whats i could do?

I don't have any ideas, but is it a coincidence that the three discs that work are suppose to be SL (25GB) and the ones that don't DL (50GB)?
post #199 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Blackhawk Down worked for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #200 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM

The strange thing is that "Kingdom of Heaven" did work when i first tried it.
It was the first disc i put into the player after taking it our of the box.
Now no DL discs do work...
I tried umplugging, is there any other way to reset the player?

I think i will go and watch some LDs now...
post #201 of 2891 Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildZero View Post

The strange thing is that "Kingdom of Heaven" did work when i first tried it.
It was the first disc i put into the player after taking it our of the box.
Now no DL discs do work...
I tried umplugging, is there any other way to reset the player?

I think i will go and watch some LDs now...

Check the manual for reset. Seems like I remember instructions something like hold down the start botton on the player for x seconds.
post #202 of 2891 Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 AM

Bought the Sony BDP-S1 last Saturday and it won't play Mission Impossible 3 Blu Ray format disc. Took the disc to CC where I bought the Sony, and it won't play in their display BDP-S1 either. Salesman stuck my disc in a Samsung Blu Ray player and VIOLA! it played just fine. What gives?? I thought the Sony would be better. The salesman agreed that it isn't right that the Sony wouldn't play this disc but the Samsung would. He said I should return the Sony. I will return it unless there is a reasonable explanation or fix for the problem.
post #203 of 2891 Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just bought the Sony BDP-S1 and am hooking it up tonight. Coincidentally, I rented MI:3 from Netflix and plan to use that as the first test disc. From all reports, it seems like a crapshoot in that some buyers have freezing problems while others are fine.
post #204 of 2891 Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've had no problems playing MI:3 or Kingdom Of Heaven in my Sony BDP-S1.
No problems playing TFE or TOTS either.
Haven't tried Pearl Harbor, Swordfish or The Last Samurai yet (they just arrived from Amazon).
post #205 of 2891 Old 12-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else had a problem with the Sony losing the correct settings? I installed the unit today and did the Easy Setup followed by choices for 24p and the correct audio. I then played a few minutes of a test movie and went back to work. Tonight, I turned the movie on again from the beginning and found that all of my settings (24p, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc...) had gone back to the default settings. I thought that you could just set it once and then forget it?
post #206 of 2891 Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 AM

LisaM,
I hope someone answers the "losing settings" difficulty you've identified--and I tend to agree w/your synopsis about a 'crapshoot'. I bought the BDP-S1 on ebay last Friday--it was delivered Wed night & I will hook it up this weekend...hoping I got one that doesn't FREEZE UP as returning it would be a fiasco--not as simple as returning it to my nearest BestBuy. Wish me luck! We shall soon see if saving $300 via purchasing on eBay rather than BB was the better idea~hmmmmmm. WWYD? (What Would You Do?)

olden51,
I hope I don't experience your problem as MI: 3 is one of the 6 I purchased from BB. Why is the Sony machine so flaky? Natch I will be posting my experiences/results either Sat night or Sunday morn. Again, wish me luck with MY particular blu-ray unit AND all blu-ray movies!

Ty-K
post #207 of 2891 Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TytaniumK View Post

LisaM,
I hope someone answers the "losing settings" difficulty you've identified--and I tend to agree w/your synopsis about a 'crapshoot'. I bought the BDP-S1 on ebay last Friday--it was delivered Wed night & I will hook it up this weekend...hoping I got one that doesn't FREEZE UP as returning it would be a fiasco--not as simple as returning it to my nearest BestBuy. Wish me luck! We shall soon see if saving $300 via purchasing on eBay rather than BB was the better idea~hmmmmmm. WWYD? (What Would You Do?)

Ty-K

Did you buy from an "authorized Sony dealer" on e-bay? So the warranty will be honored if you have a problem - or does it not matter w/ Sony products ?

I shy away from buying electronics on e-bay. Too risky. (but good luck too you)
post #208 of 2891 Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Did you buy from an "authorized Sony dealer" on e-bay? So the warranty will be honored if you have a problem - or does it not matter w/ Sony products ?

I shy away from buying electronics on e-bay. Too risky. (but good luck too you)

Yes, John....I did purchase from an "authorized Sony dealer!" So, it's not that the warranty won't be honored, per se, just that an exchange will take mo' time! But at least I was smart enuf to buy it BRAND NEW-IN-BOX from an auth rep!
post #209 of 2891 Old 12-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

I thought that you could just set it once and then forget it?

That's all I did. I've never had any malfunction with settings or when playing BD discs or DVDs.
post #210 of 2891 Old 12-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

I am going to check it this morning to see if the settings held.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page