PS3 Video HD playback information and starter guide. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with the PS3 and it's video playback capabilities within the XMB. So far this is what I've been able to discover. Consider it a Starter Guide.

Although PS3 says it supports many formats it's extremely particular with how it handles video. You must comply with Filename, File Extension and Formatting. Since this is an HDTV guide, I will only cover those aspects tested with regards to HDTV. In order to maintain the original quality of a HD TS Capture, i will not be covering any sort of re-encoding or transcoding methods (however there is a PS3 video converter available free here http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/)

Getting the Video onto the PS3

You have 3 options to get Video onto your PS3, Burn the files to a DVD-R, DVD-9, DVD-RW (all tested). Put the video files on a USB thumb Drive (FAT only), USB HArd Drive (No NTFS), Download it via the built in Web Browser (I recommend Red Kawa - http://www.redkawa.com/fileserver/) Red Kawa is a freeware file server that will let you download files from your computer from the PS3, this is the quickest way to test.

When using Red Kawa to download, you must ensure that you ahve the latest firmware 1.11 on your PS3, and you must have .MPG as the file extension in order for it to download to the video's section of your PS3. .TS files will only give you the option to save to memory stick or a USB storage device not the PS3 Hard Drive itself. IT's also important to note that it will not download any file names with spaces - dashes or such characters. Underscores are okay. ie. Transporter_2_hd.mpg (is okay)

Video Formatting
While you can rename a standard HDTV discussion in .TS format to .MPG and it will detect as video on the PS3 you will likely find that the Audio will not work for you. The video will play without audio. If you check the information on the video file by pressing triangle, it will show as 1920x1080 MPEG2-TS and nothing for the audio. I'm not quite sure why this is. So far the only way I have been able to get AC3 audio to play is to convert it to an MPEG-PS using HDTV2MPEG2. This will then detect in the PS3 as a 1920x1080 MPEG2 with Dolby Digital Audio. I have tested both 5.1 and 2.0 and they seem to be working. Please note converting using VideoRedo does not work at all. I have tried every combination of saving as ts or as mpeg and for some reason the PS3 detects it as unplayable or corrupted video. Again I'm not sure why.

I have also noticed that the PS3 is not able to play 1920x1088 video, or 1280x1088. I'm guessing that the PS3 does not like anything but standard hdtv formats.

I don't understand enough about H264 to try to convert it without re-encoding to a format that the PS3 can use, perhaps someone else could try a few things out and get back to me.

Comparing Video output with Xbox 360 Media Center Streaming.

I have directly compared discussions using the sin city cmore 50hz and transporter 2 as a comparison playing them simultaneously on the PS3 and the Xbox360. I find that the PS3 gives a more true representation of colour and blacks. However Both consoles do a great job with HDTV. I have always found Xbox360 to be slightly "overbright" when using the 360 with a plasma its difficult to always readjust brightness settings, when all the other devices Xbox1/DVDplayer/Satellite Receiver - all seem to have the black levels correct. I notice this also while watching dvds on the xbox 360, the blacks are often more of a dark grey than a pure black.. The ps3 seems to be outputting a better pure black. After doing a little more research it seems that the xbox360 pedestal is in fact set a 7.5 at least through component which is causing the "overbrightness"

More on the Xbox 360 Brightness (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...unction=search)
"The 360 passes a below black pluge, but its default black level is 7.5 IRE with no way of adjusting it to 0 IRE. You'll have to adjust your display accordingly, as black levels will appear elevated. The white level of this player is a tad low at 98 IRE but still within our passing criteria. I wish manufacturers would pay closer attention to their output levels, as a properly calibrated display will have to be re-adjusted for these issues.
"

Blu-Ray Authoring to DVD+-9R/RW (unsuccessful)

It is possible to author a Blu-ray disc onto DVD-R/RW/+-9 however I have not found a working solution as of yet. These are the steps taken so far.

So far I have made a few attempts using Ulead VideoStudio 10.0 (pre-removal of blu-ray authoriing).
Load up Video Studio, go to the Share tab, then click on the Create Disc Button. On the next screen add your media (which must be in MPEG PS format) Click the bottom drop down box and choose blu-ray, and set your settings checkbox to Do no re-encode compliant video files.

You can chose to create a menu. (however I have found that while the menu background page will come up, you can not navigate or use any of the menu controls).

Go to the next step, since you do not have a blu-ray burner, you will not be able to burn directly to disc, but you can create the disc image as an ISO and burn it with nero. Please remember I have been completely unsuccessful in burning a Blu-ray disc to DVD+-9 aside from being able to see the menu background. If anyone has had any better luck, or a working tutorial please let me know.

Conclusion. There is much more experimenting to do with regards to HDTV video playback on the PS3. Linux will hopefully offer us a competative media center to XBMC but this will take some time. Hope this has helped some get started with HD playback on their PS3

Xbox 360 is still currently the only console solution for "network streaming" of Video content to your HD connected console

PS3 is currently the only solution(xbox-hddvd aside) for burning HD .TS files to DVD/DVD9 for playback, but involves a conversion to PS MPG

[UPDATE 1] It seems that even after converting the HD .TS to a PS stream, the PS3 will play the audio, but not send it as bitstream to your AV receiver, or at least I have been unable to get the AC3 decode to come on for my receiver, it seems Prologic at best. I've also noticed the same problem with the Downloadable Trailers from Sony, when playing through the XMB it seems all you will get is Prologic, if you boot into a blu-ray or a game (ie. motorstorm game demo) it will flip to the Dolby Digital Decoding right away.

If anyone has some more information with regards to H264 TS files and how they may be losslessly converted to Mpeg4 or another PS3 compatible format, please share your ideas in this thread.

There also may be some errors with time remaining/playing on larger Mpeg2 TS files, ie. i have seen 40 minute clips show up as 5 minutes, if this occurs you can only skip ahead to the 5 minute mark, you will have no ff rw features beyond the 5 minutes, however you can watch the entire clip, even if the play time clock is stopped.

Additionally for those who don't know the PS3 defaults to resuming where you last left off in the video, which is a nice feature, however you can always skip back to the beginning by pressing triangle and using the pop up menu option. This also stands true for blu-ray movies, provided you do not eject the movie. ie. you could be watching a blu-ray movie, exit out to message a friend or play a game, then go back to the same spot where you left off in the movie. (360 added this feature in the spring update)

I've successfully installed the official sony approved version of linux yellowdog 5.0 for ps3. It's a very smooth install and and seems to be a good start into the homebrew scene for ps3. Currently hardware acceleration is not supported within linux, hopefully this will be added in future updates. Here is a good link showing video running in VLC and mplayer plus some installation instruction
http://forums.qj.net/f-ps3-linux-283...-50-81670.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post

I have also noticed that the PS3 is not able to play 1920x1088 video, or 1280x1088. I'm guessing that the PS3 does not like anything but standard hdtv formats.

nice guide but this is pathetic considering you'd have to reauthor all your files to play on the PS3, even if it DID stream over the network.

houston, we have a problem.

DVD's are about movies & people watch them in living rooms, how many people actually use their computer drives to sit and watch movies- Bluray's Andy Parsons
post #3 of 50 Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch View Post

nice guide but this is pathetic considering you'd have to reauthor all your files to play on the PS3, even if it DID stream over the network.

houston, we have a problem.

Agreed. Although the official support should be MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP and MPEG-4 AVC/H.265 video formats. Audio formats included are: AAC, Wav, MP3 and ATRAC. and image formats JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF.

The hardware formats supported are BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Super Audio CD.

So either we're missing something or Sony needs to continue to work on it's firmware. Granted Xbox360 was not much better at it's launch. Requiring Media Center, and having to install HDTV pump to even get started with HD .TS streaming. Lets hope sony is able to shed some light with regards to their supported formats.. the .TS files almost play - it just can't detect the audio unless it's converted to PS. Regular mpeg1 and mpeg2 videos seem to play okay.. It's the HD stuff that has been more tricky
post #4 of 50 Old 12-02-2006, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hey,

I guess I'm just lucky. My Fusion HDTV card captures HD as native Mpg so I don't have to convert any of it. If all goes well,... I'll build a library of HD movies as Mpg's on a PC and transfer films when I want to watch them via the free fileserver to the ps3.

-Brian
post #5 of 50 Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

puppy, good work! Keep us uptodate with the experiments and the firmwares.

Brian, hope you'll conduct your experiment soon.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #6 of 50 Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 79
23 more days unless... She gives in.

I'll see what I can do

=Brian
post #7 of 50 Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

23 more days unless... She gives in.

I'll see what I can do

=Brian

I have no idea what that means.

But this should be a sticky and modded by puppy.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #8 of 50 Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 AM

So what's the proper file/directory format to watch an HD MPEG-2 file when watching from a USB drive, etc?

IE:

G:\\videos\\file.mpg

How should it go?
post #9 of 50 Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight View Post

So what's the proper file/directory format to watch an HD MPEG-2 file when watching from a USB drive, etc?

IE:

G:\\videos\\file.mpg

How should it go?

It should be g:\\VIDEO\\file.mpg
post #10 of 50 Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post

Blu-Ray Authoring to DVD+-9R/RW (unsuccessful)

It is possible to author a Blu-ray disc onto DVD-R/RW/+-9 however I have not found a working solution as of yet. These are the steps taken so far.

So far I have made a few attempts using Ulead VideoStudio 10.0 (pre-removal of blu-ray authoriing).
Load up Video Studio, go to the Share tab, then click on the Create Disc Button. On the next screen add your media (which must be in MPEG PS format) Click the bottom drop down box and choose blu-ray, and set your settings checkbox to Do no re-encode compliant video files.

You can chose to create a menu. (however I have found that while the menu background page will come up, you can not navigate or use any of the menu controls).

Go to the next step, since you do not have a blu-ray burner, you will not be able to burn directly to disc, but you can create the disc image as an ISO and burn it with nero. Please remember I have been completely unsuccessful in burning a Blu-ray disc to DVD+-9 aside from being able to see the menu background. If anyone has had any better luck, or a working tutorial please let me know.

Conclusion. There is much more experimenting to do with regards to HDTV video playback on the PS3. Linux will hopefully offer us a competative media center to XBMC but this will take some time. Hope this has helped some get started with HD playback on their PS3

Xbox 360 is still currently the only console solution for "network streaming" of Video content to your HD connected console

PS3 is currently the only solution(xbox-hddvd aside) for burning HD .TS files to DVD/DVD9 for playback, but involves a conversion to PS MPG

Currently, there is only one BD format that the PS3 will accept and that's \\BDAV (no menus, limited bps). I'm hoping the March update will allow \\BDMV's, you will also need the latest version of software to correctly create \\BDAV's, I don't know about Ulead (contact them to find out), but Cyberlink Power Producer you need the latest version (which is not the version that came with the BD drive )
post #11 of 50 Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks for that info! Useful!

Blu-ray is the way!
post #12 of 50 Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to add couple items.
  1. PS3 plays back .M2T files perfectly. And you don't have to convert anything.
    .M2T files are MPEG-2 TS files in HDV format with 1440x1080i video and MPEG Layer 2 audio produced by HDV camcorders.
    I have Sony HC1 HDV camcorder and I tested playback of .M2T files on PS3 from BD-RE and DVD+RW, it's beautiful.
  2. You can copy MPEG file with more than 4GB file size to internal HDD on PS3!.
    I tried it. So, I assume format of internal HDD is NOT FAT32, may be NTFS!
    AND PS will play the whole file, it's just that you won't have any navigations means when playback reaches time at 4GB size point.
post #13 of 50 Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

I would like to add couple items.
  1. PS3 plays back .M2T files perfectly. And you don't have to convert anything.
    .M2T files are MPEG-2 TS files in HDV format with 1440x1080i video and MPEG Layer 2 audio produced by HDV camcorders.
    I have Sony HC1 HDV camcorder and I tested playback of .M2T files on PS3 from BD-RE and DVD+RW, it's beautiful.
  2. You can copy MPEG file with more than 4GB file size to internal HDD on PS3!.
    I tried it. So, I assume format of internal HDD is NOT FAT32, may be NTFS!
    AND PS will play the whole file, it's just that you won't have any navigations means when playback reaches time at 4GB size point.

Data disk on BD-R/RE are fine (they work great on the PS3) but I'm not sure if standalone players can handle it? But it would nice to have a menu, etc...
post #14 of 50 Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I took my burned BD-RE data disk with MPEG files to BestBuy and tried to play it on Samsung that was on the shelf. It didn't.
post #15 of 50 Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I took my burned BD-RE data disk with MPEG files to BestBuy and tried to play it on Samsung that was on the shelf. It didn't.

It's good to know! So if your target is standalone players you might have to go with \\BDAV or wait for a firmware update to allow \\BDMV with BD-R/RE.
post #16 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I took one of my MPEG2 files with 5.1 audio, and was able to make a BD-RE in BDAV mode using Powerproducer. It didn't need to transcode the file at all and started buring the disc within 30 seconds. So this means the MPEG2 file is left untouched. The kicker is that it only plays back in 2.0, not 5.1, on the PS3 even though itt shows up as Dolby Digital multichannel audio. Is this a current limitation of the PS3 firmware, since it does the same thing with MPEG2 5.1 files played back from a USB device? If I try this BD-RE in a standalone player, should the 5.1 stream play?

Marc.

MDC
post #17 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D Carra View Post

The kicker is that it only plays back in 2.0, not 5.1, on the PS3 even though itt shows up as Dolby Digital multichannel audio. Is this a current limitation of the PS3 firmware, since it does the same thing with MPEG2 5.1 files played back from a USB device?

Marc.

Yes.

There are rumors that March firmware update will fix that. But it is rumors only.
post #18 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.

There are rumors that March firmware update will fix that. But it is rumors only.

Thanks for the reply. I figure it had to be the PS3 , since there's no way that Powerproducer was doing anything to a 20gig file in 30seconds. The picture quality looks amazing so if the patch can fix the 5.1 issue, we will be set.

Marc.

MDC
post #19 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

I still have suspicion that Powerproducer re-encodes the audio, and (may be) video when it authors BDAV. I need to do more test.

And it would be great if Sony enables BDMV playback on PS3.
post #20 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The video is definitely staying as is, but it was the audio that was worrying me. To test the video, I put a small chunk of my mpeg2 file on a usb stick, and played it back directly on the PS3. I made a note of the bit rate levels as they varied in the scene. The BD-RE made with powerporducer has the same bit rate levels at precisely the same spots. And the picture quality looks identical. That and the fact that it starts burning 20gigs within 30 seconds, I don't see it doing anything to the file at all. It was just the 2.0 audio that has me concerned, but as you stated, it's probably the PS3 firmware thats is to blame.

Marc.

MDC
post #21 of 50 Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For the audio issue, you use the optical out right? Maybe it will output the correct DD5.1 (or decoded in 5.1 LPCM) over HDMI?

Currently it's not really a issue of outputing in only 2.0. The PS3 actually downmix the DD track to 2 channels PCM via optical output. It simply does not output the DD track in bitstream, at least not over the optical connection.

regards,

Li On
post #22 of 50 Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post

For the audio issue, you use the optical out right? Maybe it will output the correct DD5.1 (or decoded in 5.1 LPCM) over HDMI?

Currently it's not really a issue of outputing in only 2.0. The PS3 actually downmix the DD track to 2 channels PCM via optical output. It simply does not output the DD track in bitstream, at least not over the optical connection.

regards,

Li On

Interesting , Li On. I never thought that it might pass the 5.1 over HMDI. I'll see when I upgrade my reciever next month (unless Sony releases a patch before then)

Marc.

MDC
post #23 of 50 Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

When I play DVD on PS3 I get DD 5.1 surround sound through the optical to my Sony receiver.

But when I play SD/HD MPEG-2 file from the data disk with DD 5.1 surround sound audio track PS3 down converts it to 2.0 channels.

And this is the issue (for me at least) because I don't have HDMI in my receiver.

There is no point to do that. PS3 should be passing through DD bitstream like with DVDs.
post #24 of 50 Old 03-01-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post

regards,

Li On

Presumably the 2.0 PCM via optical issue is only for MPEG2 file replay, and not for DVD and BluRay replay, which is still a 5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream if the source is DD 5.1?

Is it just that the PS3 transcodes everything to 2.0 PCM for optical in XMB file replay? (Wouldn't you expect the HDMI audio to be identical in this case?)
post #25 of 50 Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Presumably the 2.0 PCM via optical issue is only for MPEG2 file replay, and not for DVD and BluRay replay, which is still a 5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream if the source is DD 5.1?

Is it just that the PS3 transcodes everything to 2.0 PCM for optical in XMB file replay? (Wouldn't you expect the HDMI audio to be identical in this case?)

It probably does the same downcoversion over HDMI, but it has yet to be comfirmed by anyone. The strange thing is the files (and my BD-RE disc) show up Dolby Digital Multichannel audio , on the screen info while being played, but it still only outputs 2 channel. It makes me wonder if Sony is doing this deliberately. Then again, their own Mpeg4 movie trailers on the Playstation store only playback in 2 channel.

Marc.

MDC
post #26 of 50 Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 PM

I have successfully converted .ts files with HDTVtoMPEG2 to play on the PS3. However, these have only been about 1GB in size.. Last night I tried it with a 4GB file and it didn't detect the file... Is this a known issue? Or perhaps there is something else I did wrong.. But if it's a known issue please let me know so I don't waste a lot of time trying to figure out what could be causing it
post #27 of 50 Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Oh I think it's because my drive is NTFS... And stupid Windows won't format a volume larger than 32 GB if you want to use FAT32
post #28 of 50 Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh I think it's because my drive is NTFS... And stupid Windows won't format a volume larger than 32 GB if you want to use FAT32

Try Fat32format:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

I formatted 80 GB hard drive and PS3 recognized it no problem.
post #29 of 50 Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 AM

1080i MPEG-2 PS no longer works for me after installing the 1.60 firmware. The preview icon works, the file information shows all the correct info, but when I try to play a file, it stops after half a second and gives the error code 80028818

post #30 of 50 Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

1080i MPEG-2 PS no longer works for me after installing the 1.60 firmware. The preview icon works, the file information shows all the correct info, but when I try to play a file, it stops after half a second and gives the error code 80028818

The problem is you are using hdtvtompeg. The new firmware (1.6) has apparently tightened up playback even more. One of the big issues with hdtvtompeg written by forum member Cris Moore is that the timestamps of the new mpeg2 file are not correct. Hence before the update to 1.6, people were unable to FF past a certain point in the ps file. The lesson is don't use hdtvtompeg for PS3 conversions (or any for that matter).

By far, the best program for ts to ps is VLC media player. I have had absolutely zero problems with VLC transcoded files on firmware 1.6. Use the wizzard on VLC, skip the covnersion part, and then you will be able to select the output for transcoding (choose ps).
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page