Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 First End User Reports - OWNERS ONLY - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am taking a break! I have been at it for about 4 hours now. I was drawn into watching a couple of the movies (more than I planned to) when I was doing those comparisons. And the odd thing is it was usually when I was playing the Blu ray disc on the Pioneer. Now so far I can say the picture Q differences are subtle, the average person would either not notice or not care. But I would say they are there. I really do like this Pioneer player thugh, being able to change the output from the remote is much easier than having to always go to the set up menu on the panny. Speaking of MENU the Pioneer may have the best looking GUI I have ever seen. You can tell they are done in true HD. I am also liking very much what I have seen so far playing SD dvds. Both with and without my crystalio II. Sorry for not going into much detail yet but I will definitely do it in my next post. I can say now I do like the Panny (very much) but as far as for my Theater set up the Pioneer will be front and center. It is very fast to load and the response time is right on. I do not know if it is worth it for everybody to switch to this unit. It depends on your set up. Each unit has different bells and whistles. The Pioneer is a tweakers dream though. Being able to hit display to see every drop of info is a very nice feature (more on that later). Overall so far the picture quality is excellent and if anyone would dissagree I would have to question their set up. To put it bluntly if you want the BEST of both formats I would have to give the nod to the Pioneer (Blu ray) and expect to do the same for the XA2(HD DVD) next week. Also I should point out that there was a slip inside asking to register the unit for warranty and for future updates... Of course they weren't specific but I think that is a good sign. I must get back down there (I spent to much time watching Kingdom Of Heaven and Little Man on the Pioneer). Oh and so far not one single glitch!

Thanks joerod for the review so far. Looks like another satisfied Pioneer BDP-HD1 owner!

Go Celtics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Walkamo (aka, Chris),

Setting aside whether in fact Pioneer is going to provide a firmware upgrade to allow the Pio BD player to fully decode multi-channel advanced audio codec material, can you at least answer whether the current Pio BD player has the necessary hardware/software support to permit this should Pio decide to upgrade the player via firmware?

I think I would buy just knowing that at a minimum it IS POSSIBLE even though there would be no guarantee that Pio has plans to do it.

I think you've posted that you continue to push to get this done, which has certain implications in my mind: 1) the player physically can be upgraded via firmware; and 2) Pio currently does not plan on providing such an upgrade to this unit but instead will offer it in an upcoming 2d gen unit.

Anything on this you can offer would be much appreciated...thanks
post #333 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

1) the player physically can be upgraded via firmware;

At least I know that much - it can be upgraded with a supplied disc
from Pioneer.

What will be Upgradable - I DO NOT KNOW!
post #334 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 PM

Walkamo's silence tells me all I need to know. Come on guys, wake up and read the writing on the wall. He knows it will not be upgradable, otherwise he would respond...I'll be waiting for second generation also....If there even is one!...
post #335 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Walkamo's silence tells me all I need to know. Come on guys, wake up and read the writing on the wall. He knows it will not be upgradable, otherwise he would respond...

This is a very poor assumption. There could be a number of reasons why there is no response.

Quote:

I'll be waiting for second generation also....If there even is one!...

Want to bet? I didn't think so.

In the mean time, stop trolling.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #336 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Since I have guests coming in here any minute now I will have to brief. I have been playing with the Pioneer since yesterday morning. Doing 1080p/24 on its own proved to me it is THE BEST Blu ray player on the market. The picture is better than the Panasonic but not by a lot. In fact I would say it is 5-7% better. Now I bet 80% of consumers would not be able to tell but it is there. Pioneer did a great job on this unit. I think mine being a December build date helped insure it would not have ny glitches. My Wife even mentioned at how great the start up screen with the Pioneer logo looked. Now believe me when I say she has never said a word before about a menu screen ever! And she has been thru plenty of dvd players... To many to count! Now is it worth it for Panny owners to switch to it? It all depends on yor set up. I like the Pioneer better because I can do 480i over HDMI which makes SD dvds look incredible going thru my crystalio II. I also like being able to change the resolution via the remote. The Panny does have 7.1 analog outs as most of you know but that trade off is not worth it to me. I know Panasonic has announced the new firmware for April and hopefully Pioneer will do the same. Inside they did have info about signing up for updates. Of course they were not specific. Both units have a nice look to them. Of course this depends on your tastes. Some will want to squeeze out every last drop of better picture Q. That is also the group where I fall into. Not just for Blu ray but also for SD. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me. But in conclusion I am very happy with this ELITE unit and think Pioneer did a great job with The flagship BLU RAY player. If one wants the best in picture Q with these HD formats I think the Pioneer and the soon to be released XA2 will definitely achieve that. This will be the first ever Pioneer Elite product I am keeping in my theater!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #337 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 03:38 PM

An update from a little fooling around today. Trying something that worked for Walkamo I installed Twonkymedia on the machine in the living rrom in an XPsp2 partition; gave the Pioneer and the computer a little time to say hi and with a direct connection between the two HMG came up. Tried displaying some pictures first which went fine although was on the slow side (probably downrezing to fit the HD screen dimensions) and then the big test some video files. While I was able to easily play a hard drive copy of a SD DVD with picture and sound, when I tried to play an MPEG2 file from a sat recording off DISH network the picture is just fine (even in HD) but there is NO sound, an interesting problem. Made adjustments to the sound configuration in the Pioneer but to no avail; there's no sound from the l/r analog outs to a stereo system and no sound via the HDMI connection to the Qualia either--so more work to figure out what is going on with this-wishing everyone on the forums a HAPPY NEW YEAR-
post #338 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

This is a very poor assumption. There could be a number of reasons why there is no response.

Want to bet? I didn't think so.

In the mean time, stop trolling.

I don't even know what "trolling" means...(nor do I want to)...Ask Robert over at VE if I just cancelled my Pioneer Elite order...I love both formats, I even ordered the HD-XA2 from Robert due to ship on the 3rd...I have the PS3 but want to dump it because of no IR and I want to be able to incorporate my Blu-Ray into my MX-3000...(unfortunately, that can't happen)...So now I simply want a Blu-ray player that actually plays "all" blu-ray movies and is for sure going to be upgradable...Robert told me 2 days ago that Pioneer has actually said they "are not" going to offer an update for new audio codecs...If I were in the position of Chris, I can assure you that you would hear more than silence...Nuff said...
post #339 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

At least I know that much - it can be upgraded with a supplied disc
from Pioneer.

What will be Upgradable - I DO NOT KNOW!

i knew that much as well

i meant upgradeable to support full decoding of the advanced audio codecs via a firmware upgrade...meaning not that it has the physical ability to accept a firmware upgrade in general, but if it has the hardware/software that would permit it to decode the advanced audio codecs IF upgraded via firmware
post #340 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Robert told me 2 days ago that Pioneer has actually said they "are not" going to offer an update for new audio codecs

Wonder if this is true???
post #341 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

i knew that much as well

i meant upgradeable to support full decoding of the advanced audio codecs via a firmware upgrade...meaning not that it has the physical ability to accept a firmware upgrade in general, but if it has the hardware/software that would permit it to decode the advanced audio codecs IF upgraded via firmware

I knew what you meant Mr. Bend Over

But I could only say what I knew for sure and didn't
want to speculate on what I don't know for sure !
post #342 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I have guests coming in here any minute now

I am very happy with this ELITE unit and think Pioneer did a great job with The flagship BLU RAY player. If one wants the best in picture Q with these HD formats I think the Pioneer and the soon to be released XA2 will definitely achieve that. This will be the first ever Pioneer Elite product I am keeping in my theater!

Thanks Joe for your diligent testing.

Now PARTY hard until NEXT YEAR [GRIN]!

Only 4-1/2 hours to go!
post #343 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Wonder if this is true???

Robert personally finds it hard to believe that Pioneer "would not" offer updates for the audio, but told me they actully said they would not...So again, Pioneer seems to be very "unsupportive" when it comes to their clientelle...(kinda pisses me off)...
post #344 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Robert personally finds it hard to believe that Pioneer "would not" offer updates for the audio, but told me they actully said they would not...So again, Pioneer seems to be very "unsupportive" when it comes to their clientelle...(kinda pisses me off)...

Quite a few class action lawsuits against Pioneer for non performance, so no wonder they are being careful!
post #345 of 5157 Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
All I can do is hope that they do. Even though panasonic said they were going to unless it was in writing (maybe it was) the panny could be in the same boat as the Pioneer and Sony. I am not going to worry about it. Cant wait for it to get here. Look at it this way, if they dont you have grounds for a replacement because it does not do what the directions say and that is play BD. I have faith that they will though.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #346 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

Even though panasonic said they were going to unless it was in writing (maybe it was) the panny could be in the same boat as the Pioneer and Sony.

Panasonic has it in writing. There was a mail-in registration card for the DTS-HD and DTHD upgrades.
post #347 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:

Look at it this way, if they dont you have grounds for a replacement because it does not do what the directions say and that is play BD. I have faith that they will though.

I have the Pioneer preordered, and I too hope the audio codecs will be updated; however, this is easily the most illogical statement I've seen today...

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
post #348 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I can do is hope that they do. Even though panasonic said they were going to unless it was in writing (maybe it was) the panny could be in the same boat as the Pioneer and Sony. I am not going to worry about it. Cant wait for it to get here. Look at it this way, if they dont you have grounds for a replacement because it does not do what the directions say and that is play BD. I have faith that they will though.

look at it this way.
there is no provision stating that bluray has to have onboard decoders but hd-dvd is mandated to include them in every player.
I can almost guarantee you that pioneer ,sony will want you to buy one of the new recievers that will decode the advanced audio.In fact you will have to do this to get the new audio.
Panasonic is the one who went their own route and did install the advanced decoders you will usually find only in the hd-dvd players.
So if you own the pioneer or sony be prepared to buy a new reciever.
Note: this is one reason the panasonic was so expensive.
new audio:
hd-dvd requires no new reciever just one with 5.1 analog inputs
bluray requires a new reciever excluding the panasonic dmp-bd10
post #349 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I have guests coming in here any minute now I will have to brief. I have been playing with the Pioneer since yesterday morning. Doing 1080p/24 on its own proved to me it is THE BEST Blu ray player on the market. The picture is better than the Panasonic but not by a lot. In fact I would say it is 5-7% better. Now I bet 80% of consumers would not be able to tell but it is there. Pioneer did a great job on this unit. I think mine being a December build date helped insure it would not have ny glitches. My Wife even mentioned at how great the start up screen with the Pioneer logo looked. Now believe me when I say she has never said a word before about a menu screen ever! And she has been thru plenty of dvd players... To many to count! Now is it worth it for Panny owners to switch to it? It all depends on yor set up. I like the Pioneer better because I can do 480i over HDMI which makes SD dvds look incredible going thru my crystalio II. I also like being able to change the resolution via the remote. The Panny does have 7.1 analog outs as most of you know but that trade off is not worth it to me. I know Panasonic has announced the new firmware for April and hopefully Pioneer will do the same. Inside they did have info about signing up for updates. Of course they were not specific. Both units have a nice look to them. Of course this depends on your tastes. Some will want to squeeze out every last drop of better picture Q. That is also the group where I fall into. Not just for Blu ray but also for SD. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me. But in conclusion I am very happy with this ELITE unit and think Pioneer did a great job with The flagship BLU RAY player. If one wants the best in picture Q with these HD formats I think the Pioneer and the soon to be released XA2 will definitely achieve that. This will be the first ever Pioneer Elite product I am keeping in my theater!

Great review...thanks for letting everyone know.

Go Celtics!
post #350 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

look at it this way.
there is no provision stating that bluray has to have onboard decoders but hd-dvd is mandated to include them in every player.
I can almost guarantee you that pioneer ,sony will want you to buy one of the new recievers that will decode the advanced audio.In fact you will have to do this to get the new audio.
Panasonic is the one who went their own route and did install the advanced decoders you will usually find only in the hd-dvd players.
new audio:

I thought the Sony S1 and the Pioneer Elite lack the HDMI 1.3 that is necessary to carry the new audio codecs undecoded using HDMI? Even with a new receiver the Pioneer and Sony will be unable to process the new codecs.

Clark
post #351 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by units View Post

I have the Pioneer preordered, and I too hope the audio codecs will be updated; however, this is easily the most illogical statement I've seen today...

Its not illogical, if it wont play movies such as the Decent, and some others yet to be found then they have to give you a replacement. The player is advertised and in the manual as playing BD. If they up and decide that they will not provide this until the second generation then you have the right to get your unit replaced. Bottom line is if the player does not do what is advertised then you have the right to obtain one that does. On them.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #352 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if it wont play movies such as the Decent,

And What IF -- the Finger Pointing goes towards Lionsgate?

Is that Pioneer's Fault?
post #353 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

And What IF -- the Finger Pointing goes towards Lionsgate?

Is that Pioneer's Fault?

I had sent Chris a PM about this and he sent me a reply. I didn't post it, thinking he would want to post it himself later. Since I don't think he did, I thought he wouldn't mind if I copied it here:
Beginning of info from Chris ---------------------------------
I am aware of the Descent not playing, however it appears to be an authoring error. The file which contains the instructions on what to do are located in the root directory of the main .jar file. These instructions are supposed to be located in a specific directory.

I am working with Lionsgate about this issue. I have every BD disc that is available worldwide and personally tested each one that was available with the player prior to shipping.

Please give me a few days to get an official response from Pioneer Japan and Lionsgate...

Thanks,

Chris
End of info from Chris ---------------------------------
post #354 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 AM

I'll bet if all Sony and Pioneer owners were to take their units back and have their money refunded, you can bet your azz those companys would start jumping through hoops and correct all these issues really quick!... Power to the People!
post #355 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

look at it this way.
new audio:

Just a couple of quick points: 1) receivers that will decode the advanced audio require a player with HDMI 1.3 to pass the undecoded bitstream-- neither the Sony nor Pioneer have HDMI 1.3; and 2) I think the reason why the Panasonic player is so expensive is that it uses the Panasonic BD burner drive as transport, which itself had a list price of $999-- I don't think audio upgradebability was a reason, or the sole reason.
post #356 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning101 View Post

I had sent Chris a PM about this and he sent me a reply. I didn't post it, thinking he would want to post it himself later.

I will be surprised if Chris is HAPPY you posted
the PM that he sent you IN CONFIDENCE!

It is really up to Chris to post this info when he
feels it is appropriate.
post #357 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

You might want to reread bferr1's post. I think he is saying that the Panasonic uses a Panasonic BD burner drive, not that the Pioneer does.

John
post #358 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

You might want to reread bferr1's post. I think he is saying that the Panasonic uses a Panasonic BD burner drive, not that the Pioneer does.

This is what I'm saying, but are you responding to another post that's been deleted?
post #359 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

This is what I'm saying, but are you responding to another post that's been deleted?

Yes, there was. Looks like he misread your post, then saw mine, and then deleted.

John
post #360 of 5157 Old 01-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the review Joe. I'll be keeping my Panny...i think i won't upgrade again till we have HDMI1.3, 1080p24,Ethernet, BD-J, MultiRegion both on DVD and BD players available and sorted out. Probably a third generation player. I wonder also if any Blu-Ray players by then will have DVD-Audio, SACD....and will a third generation player bring on a truce in the format war with Blu-Ray and HD_DVD?..just like it did with DVD Recorders and DVD Audio/SACD Players.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page