Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5157 Old 12-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pioneer email

Bringing A New Dimension to High Definition

The Pioneer Elite® BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Disc® player is now arriving at specialty stores and is bringing the ultimate high definition experience and two Disney Blu-ray Disc blockbuster titles with it. The new BDP-HD1 Blu-ray Disc player delivers a new cinematic picture quality for Blu-ray Disc movies like Invincible and Eight Below, as well as your existing collection of DVDs. What's more, the BDP-HD1 does what no other Blu-ray Disc player can with home networking capabilities for complete access and control of movies, music and photos on your networked PC.

The Pioneer Elite Blu-ray Disc Player: Epitome of High Definition Lifestyle

The BDP-HD1 allows you to take full advantage of the technology's enhanced picture and audio benefits. One of the most exciting features of Blu-ray Disc is the sophisticated interactivity it provides. You can access film commentary and jump to new scenes without ever having to stop the scene you're watching. Did we mention the menus are also delivered in HD quality? The player offers a visually rich HD graphic user interface (GUI) for easy, user-friendly navigation. It's designed for simple setup, and includes HDMI® connectivity for a single wire solution with other HDMI-connected home theater components as well as high speed processing of HD video and audio content. The future of high definition has arrived.

A single dual layer Blu-ray Disc gives an amazing 50GB of storage capacity-the storage equivalent of five DVDs. So with all that, you're going to need a player strong enough to keep up. And the BDP-HD1 does just that, outputting a full 1920x1080 HD picture and multi-channel audio performance so you don't miss a thing. Match the player to a Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 50" 1080p plasma and top-of-the-line Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS or VSX-84TXSi A/V receiver, and you'll experience an entirely new dimension in high definition.

In addition to delivering all the unbelievable benefits of Blu-ray Disc, the BDP-HD1 offers Pioneer's exclusive Home Media Gallery function that lets you enjoy music, movies and photos from an existing home network directly on a connected HDTV rather than a small computer screen. The BDP-HD1 provides easy access to protected content stored on a DLNA compliant server or PC using Windows® XP and Windows Media® Connect. So if you've just been reeled into the addicting world of online videos, you can purchase new web content on your home office computer but watch it on your family room television by connecting the player to your network.

Whether it's personal home videos or photos, a favorite DVD or your new Invincible Blu-ray Disc, all of it will look stunning in high definition from the comfort of your living room with our BDP-HD1. The player is currently available with a suggested price of $1499.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Yes I have bass management on my analog ins on my reciever. It allows you to set speakers small or large & set the crossover frequency for the bass on analog ins. It's the Pioneer Elite flagship receiver VSX84TXI. It has the firewire connection but no HDMI.

I don't have a seperate subwoofer. I have the Pioneer Elite TZ speakers with 300 watt subs in each speaker so I don't need a seperate subwoofer.

Has anyone compared the picture & sound quality to the Panasonic Blu-Ray player?

Is it worth it to trade it in & get the Pioneer Elite?

I would be losing the DVD-audio & CD playback & the 7.1 analog outs I have with the Panasonic. Panasonic is the only one that has promised the advanced codecs in March-April timeframe.

I have the Pioneer Elite Pro730HDI T.V. which I'm almost sure doesn't do 24fps. I think it's 60fps.

Is there anything I would gain by trading in the Panasonic & getting the Pioneer Elite? Better Blu-Ray picture or sound?
post #183 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

So if I don't need the new updated receiver. I can get the full bitrate uncompressed LPCM tracks thru the analog outs from the Elite DVD player into my analog ins to my Elite receiver?

And if they do the firmware updates for the Dolby True HD & DTS HD MA I can get the full bitrate Dolby True HD & DTS HD MA thru the analog outs from the Elite DVD player into my analog ins to my Elite receiver I already have?

The new Elite BD player has the Dolby True HD & DTS HD MA decoders built into it so the receiver doesn't have to have the decoders? They just need the firmware updates to send out the Dolby True HD & DTS HD MA signals & that can be sent out full bitrate thru the analog outs if you don't have a HDMI receiver?

If so that means I wouldn't have to update my reciever later from what your reply was? I can just use the analogs on the Elite flagship receiver I have now & won't lose any sound by doing it that way?

High-Def DVD Player Manufacturers - BOTH FORMATS - Knew it would be a
very long time [probably 5 years] before the INSTALLED Base of older Receivers
would someday be replaced. Therefore they said lets make sure customers could
enjoy Lossless audio during that transition period. Therefore we will provide two
paths for that ---

1) 5.1 Analog Out - with INTERNAL PLAYER Codecs.

2) 7.1 PCM HDMI Version 1.1 with INTERNAL PLAYER Codecs.

3) Current HD Movie content [both formats] is authored to require
INTERNAL PLAYER DECODE. That means even if you had a receiver
with HDMI 1.3 and lossless codecs in the receiver they WOULD DO
NOTHING. All Decoding would take place in the DVD Player.

If you have 5.1 audio in today - you can enjoy lossless audio over the 5.1
analog channels.

If you buy ANY RECEIVER on the Planet that has at least HDMI 1.1 - then
you are GOLDEN until that receiver DIES of OLD AGE.

The only warning I would put on that last statement is pay attention to
the Video Format the HDMI interface can support. The HDMI 1.1 and up
standards support 1080p. However - some Manufacturers may not have paid
the EXTRA royalties to get the interface certified to 1080p format. If your
new receiver switches 1080p - Then the current receiver technology is GOOD
until it dies [GRIN]!
post #184 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

I am trying to get my Pronto programmed...I am tired of having to keep my closest door opened where my rack is just to use my Pioneer...LOL!

You DID Notice that Jeff Hagg posted the Pronto CCF file?

It has 100% of all the Player Codes in Pronto Format.

My Crestron Programming is done. A Piece of cake.
post #185 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

The HDMI 1.1 and up standards support 1080p. However - some Manufacturers may not have paid the EXTRA royalties to get the interface certified to 1080p format.

drhankz. The "1080p support" in the HDMI 1.1 specs was "optionnal". That's why some manufacturers didn't include it.

BTW, I didn't received my Pio Elite last week... Pio Canada told me they were doing a "last minute firmware upgrade" before shipping, causing a delay... No more details... Sigh...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #186 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone experienced any freezes on SD or BD? I am curious to find out if the BDP-HD1 has the same problem several users of the Sony S1 have reported. Both machines use a very similar build and share the same drive so it may be possible that Pioneer has made some firmware changes that has solved this problem.

Clark
post #187 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
So far the very few that have them have put them thru the paces and have had no issues...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #188 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

drhankz. The "1080p support" in the HDMI 1.1 specs was "optionnal". That's why some manufacturers didn't include it.

BTW, I didn't received my Pio Elite last week... Pio Canada told me they were doing a "last minute firmware upgrade" before shipping, causing a delay... No more details... Sigh...

Got to LOVE those OPTIONAL capabilities.

As for the Pio Upgrade - Maybe they left out the Canadian
French Language Support [GRIN]? Besides - you told me 12/27.
It is only 12/24 [GRIN]! Santa hasn't arrived yet.
post #189 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Has anyone experienced any freezes on SD or BD? I am curious to find out if the BDP-HD1 has the same problem several users of the Sony S1 have reported. Both machines use a very similar build and share the same drive so it may be possible that Pioneer has made some firmware changes that has solved this problem.

I have had my BDP-HD1 running for three days now.

I have loaded lots of Blu-Ray discs and SD DVDs.

So far - I can not find one single glitch.
post #190 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I experienced a freeze when I was first using it but it was not during play and was likely my fault. I pressed the display dimmer button on the front panel during loading. The player froze such that I had to power it down and re-boot to do anything. Lesson learned.....don't touch anything during loading process. Multi-tasking not allowed.
post #191 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

If that's the worse then I think we will be alright...

post #192 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 90
For what it's worth in terms of evaluating a possible freeze issue, my S1 appears to be worse than most (5 out of 10 DVDs and 1 out of 6 BDs). With the exception a 1 or 2 slight stutters, all my freeze ups have occured at about the mid point (i.e. layer change ?) or later in the movie that actually froze. The ones that froze after the mid point also showed some stuttering problem starting around the mid point. The only BD to freeze was Pearl Harbor (50 GB) at ~ 1 minute past mid point. My guess is that the read head in my unit may have some problems with data located further from the surface.
post #193 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If the freeze (SD discs) is just momentary (1-2 sec) and then play resumes fine on it's own - it's a layer change. (However not all layer changes are mid-point.) If the image stays frozen - and you have to FF, REW or power off the unit - that's something else.
post #194 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

I experienced a freeze when I was first using it but it was not during play and was likely my fault. I pressed the display dimmer button on the front panel during loading. The player froze such that I had to power it down and re-boot to do anything. Lesson learned.....don't touch anything during loading process. Multi-tasking not allowed.

Using any BLEEDING edge Technology is like DRINKING
and DRIVING.

You need to use it in MODERATION [GRIN]!
post #195 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

If the freeze (SD discs) is just momentary (1-2 sec) and then play resumes fine on it's own - it's a layer change. (However not all layer changes are mid-point.) If the image stays frozen - and you have to FF, REW or power off the unit - that's something else.

John: My number counts are only those instances where FF, power off etc. were required.
post #196 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info on the lossless audio. So it will do the uncompressed LPCM thru the analogs. And once it is available it will do Dolby True HD & DTS HD MA thru the analogs also at full bitrate & sound as good as the audio would have sounded thru the HDMI connection? My analog in on my receiver has full bass management.

Do you think it's worth it for me to trade in the Panasonic & get the Pioneer?

I'd be going from 7.1 analog outs to 5.1 analog outs & losing DVD-audio & CD playing capabilities that the Panasonic has.

Has anyone compared the picture quality & sound on the Pioneer Elite unit to the Panasonic Blu-Ray player?

Is it worth the extra cost to trade the Panny in? I know Panny said they would have the advanced codecs firmware update by April.

I have to make the decision this next week if I'm going to trade it for the Pioneer Elite.
post #197 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Thanks for the info on the lossless audio. So it will do the uncompressed LPCM thru the analogs. My analog in on my receiver has full bass management.

Do you think it's worth it for me to trade in the Panasonic & get the Pioneer?

I'd be going from 7.1 analog outs to 5.1 analog outs & losing DVD-audio & CD playing capabilities that the Panasonic has.

A deciding factor may be how The Descent is handled in your situation. The movie is coming out this week. From what I understand it will be the first BD movie with 6.1 PCM sound. Will the Panasonic output the discrete back channel from it's 7.1 analog outs? How will a 5.1 analog output device, such as the Pioneer, handle this. This isn't an issue for HDMI AVRs, but in your case it might be.

I have the Panasonic BD player, but won't have my copy of The Descent until this week. I'll be curious to see how the Panasonic 7.1 outputs handle this soundtrack.
post #198 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Good question Frank. Let me know if you get the discrete back channel on the 7.1 LPCM thru the analog outs. You can PM me or post it in this thread. I'd really like to know the answer to that question.

Also if anyone has compared the picture quality & sound quality of the Pioneer Elite vs the Panasonic let me know.
post #199 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You DID Notice that Jeff Hagg posted the Pronto CCF file?

It has 100% of all the Player Codes in Pronto Format.

My Crestron Programming is done. A Piece of cake.

Yes I did...already downloaded it and I finished programming my Pronto last night. Gotta love copying and pasting IR codes...definitely saves a lot of time. Was done in a matter of minutes!

Go Celtics!
post #200 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had my Pioneer since Wednesday...only had one minor issue, I think it was just my impatience though. Have played a bunch a Blu-ray discs and SD-DVD's, perfect so far!

Go Celtics!
post #201 of 5157 Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's great to read! Can't wait to give her a test drive!

post #202 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
I am saving money for this, I am very impressed about no glitches but I do not like the look of the DVD player but with no glitches, stability is all that matters
post #203 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I agree. At this point it is either the Pioneer or the Panasonic as the best Br players to get!

post #204 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I agree. At this point it is either the Pioneer or the Panasonic as the best Br players to get!

JOE:

If the Panasonic is so GOOD - Why does the Panasonic website
HIDE all the Specifications. I can not find real Specs on the Panny
anywhere. I don't call the Specs Below - very imppressive. I view
them as NEGATIVE Specs.

UNPARALLELED PICTURE QUALITY
Advanced I/P Conversion with P4HD (Pixel Precision Progressive Processing for HD)
1080P Up-Conversion for All Discs
post #205 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Specs or no Specs it puts out an impressive picture. I could stick my head up a cow's rear but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it! Serisously, I know the spec sheet is hard to find (if there is one) but it has to have something good inside otherwise it wouldn't have stayed this long in my set up.

post #206 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Before my Panasonic broke, I found the image a bit soft. It could very well have been the software though, and now that there are more discs out, I look forward to really seeing what Blu can do, with the Pioneer.

Phil
post #207 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:

JOE:

If the Panasonic is so GOOD - Why does the Panasonic website
HIDE all the Specifications. I can not find real Specs on the Panny
anywhere. I don't call the Specs Below - very imppressive. I view
them as NEGATIVE Specs.

UNPARALLELED PICTURE QUALITY
Advanced I/P Conversion with P4HD (Pixel Precision Progressive Processing for HD)
1080P Up-Conversion for All Discs

Can you tell us how these few specs that you mention are bad and how they make the Panasonic a bad player? Do you think Panasonic is hiding something by not publishing their specs? Does Panasonic get any points for being the only company to promise a firmware upgrade for the newer audio codecs in April? If Panasonic was being deceitful, would they have already announced the planned firmware update? Pioneer took longer to come to market. Shouldn't they have had the time to incorporate the new codecs? Does that make Pioneer inferior?

Also, can you tell us which specs you'd like to see and what the differences in the specs between the players would make a noticeable difference in PQ or SQ that would affect your decision on which to purchase? Can you quantize the numerical differences that would make one player better than the other on a 1 to 10 scale?

If you can't do this, then I have to wonder why you're so disturbed that the Panasonic specs aren't yet available and why you feel the few "specs" that are available are negative.
post #208 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is nothing negative about the Panny. It is a very nice unit. ANd with its 7.1 analog outs I think they get extra credit. Plus the fact they have announced a new firmware coming in April... I am only doing an A/B with it and the Pioneer becasue like I have posted before I like being able to do 480i over HDMI for my SD dvds... My crystalio II will have a field day deinterlacing it to 1080p!

post #209 of 5157 Old 12-25-2006, 10:42 PM

Is there any info yet on what Pioneer is using for the SD mpeg decoder and scaler.? I expect a great BD picture, but I also expect to be watching SD discs for quite a while.

...alan
post #210 of 5157 Old 12-26-2006, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder how the Pioneer does SD layer changes???
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page