Sorry PS3 and HDMI issue with Sony KP-65WV600 RPTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can not get the HDMI output to work between my Sony PS3 and my Sony KP-65WV600 RPTV. I know for a fact that the TV supports 720p, 1080i, and HDCP. All of the specs required are there. I'm using a standard HDMI to DVD-I cable. I know for a fact that the TV and cable are working correctly because I can get a working 1080i image from my HD Tivo which is a HR10-250 model.

Can ANYONE confirm that the PS3 and KP-65WV600 are compatible? I've submitted a tech support question but since its X-mas here in the states I doubt I will get an "official" answer from Sony anytime soon.

I'm quite frustrated with the whole thing. I have two Sony products and I can't get them to work together. Does Sony QA any of this own stuff? I'm about to take this very expensive gaming console back for a full refund along with all of the games and Blu-Ray discs that I purchased.

Sony is about to lose a long time loyal customer on this stupidity.

Yes, I did upgrade my PS3 to firmware 1.32 and re-tested everything. No dice. Again, any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK. I tried the "auto HDMI config" trick with the power button out of standby. Still nothing at all. Yes, I waited for the 2nd beep before letting off of the power button.

Just for the hell of it, I obtained a different DVI to HDMI adapter (Monster brand) and a different HDMI cable. I still get no video at all, even after repeating the double beep process. I confirmed that the 2nd cable setup works correctly using my Tivo and I get a full 1080i image, no problem.

Its just the stupid PS3 that won't work. Everything is closed today. No chance of running out to get a HDMI switcher to test, nor am I real sure I want to purcahse a bunch of HDMI switchers on a trial and error basis wondering what will work.

Can anyone CONFIRM any particular HDMI switcher that is known to work?
post #3 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to have the 57WV600 and your TV does NOT support input nor display 720P. You should unselect that as an output resolution on your PS3 to start.

Your TV supports inputs of 480i, 480P, and 1080i ONLY. It's DVI port IS HDCP compliant however so you are good there.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #4 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is no option to set resolutions until you actually get the HDMI output working.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK. After confirming that my downstairs Hitachi Aspect TV supports HDCP over DVI I was able to use a HDMI to DVI cable and get 1080i and 720P working using the HDMI output from the PS3.

This tells me that the Sony KP-65WV600 does NOT work with the PS3 most likely due to HDCP handshake issues. Since the manual that I have covers four models I suspect all 4 may have problems.

KP-57WV600
KP-57WV700
KP-65WV600 (Confirmed NOT working)
KP-65WV700

If you have any of these 4 Sony TV models, your PS3 may not work using the HDMI output.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by showard View Post

OK. After confirming that my downstairs Hitachi Aspect TV supports HDCP over DVI I was able to use a HDMI to DVI cable and get 1080i and 720P working using the HDMI output from the PS3.

This tells me that the Sony KP-65WV600 does NOT work with the PS3 most likely due to HDCP handshake issues. Since the manual that I have covers four models I suspect all 4 may have problems.

KP-57WV600
KP-57WV700
KP-65WV700

If you have any of these 4 Sony TV models, your PS3 may not work using the HDMI output.

In HDMI mode, the first mode is usually 480P, you can individually turn on or off each mode after that in checkboxes. My plasma which is supposed to handle 1080P via DVI - did not. My LCD handled 1080P only via component, so the whole thing took a while to configure.

Try manually allowing only 1080i and 480P to see if this works. It is possible that the handshake can report wrong supported modes and you have to bypass them. Also if your HDMI goes to the AVR, be careful about which AVR you use as some of them apparently don't pass the video portion of the handshake correctly.

One last thing to check is to see if the HDMI output is RGB or YPrPb. YPrPb is supported only in firmware 1.3 or later.

I'd get the component connection working, do a firmware update via the internet and then try again to see if it makes a difference.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I never had good luck with the DVI port on my WV600. I think that its baseline settings are way off from the component inputs. Is there any reason that you need to use the DVI port ? Since the PS3 doesnt upconvert and Blu Ray will still pass 1080i over component I suggest that you dont use the DVI port on this tv at all.

However after you get your PS3 updated and deselect 720P as a output resolusion you might be able to get it running.

Let us know how it goes.

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #8 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, after many days of constant frustration and fighting with the HDMI option I gave in and purchased a component adapter. The build quality of this this analog cable really leaves something to be desired, however it does in fact work.

I was able to test and display:
480i
480p
702p
1080i

All of these modes worked just fine. I was able to get the 3 Bluray discs I have to play through without any hangs or drop outs. I guess I'm stuck with component. Given that this is an analog RPTV with 7" CRT guns I'm going to assume (can't prove) that the difference between 1080i component vs 1080i HDMI will be little or nothing.

It sure really would have been nice if my SONY TV with HDCP worked correctly with my SONY PS3. Anyone from SONY reading this?????
post #9 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Component is amost exactly the same as HDMI and better than DVI in my experience. The DVI on the tv's I have seen sucks. Component looks amazing, I wouldnt sweat it.

Still I don't see how you have gotten 720P to work because the WV600 line dont not accept nor display 720p.

Good luck and enjoy your equipment. There will alwalys be a next display and player.

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #10 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Why don't you go to the store and purchase a cheap HDMI upconverting DVD player just to see if it will work with your TV and show a true 1080i signal. If it only displays 480p than that means that your television does not have HDCP or it is malfunctioning. After that you can take the "Sorry PS3" off of the title since its not the PS3 at all giving you the problems. I can almost guarantee that your television is your problem
post #11 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Naw. I like the title Sorry PS3. :P

Maybe someday there will be a patch for it.

P.S. I have HDMI working with my HD Tivo HR-250 and when DirecTV broadcast HDCP enabled content on a special channel a while back I tested my TV and Tivo to make sure DirecTV wouldn't lock me out of anything I wanted to watch and it all worked just fine.

So in my mind the TV is OK.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I would still just check it out. There has never been any sort of HDCP content displayed on comcast, but I suppose since you have DirecTV this could be the case, I can't say your wrong on that. Still, I would just go and give a cheap upconverter a try, then take it back. Or hell get an expensive one if you like since your gonna take it back anyways
post #13 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showard View Post

KP-57WV600
KP-57WV700
KP-65WV700

Showard,

I know you frustration with that particular model lineup. I had the KP-65WV700 model (upgraded this year to the VPL-VW50 projector). I bought the tv thinking it would be future proof since DVI is compatible with HDMI (of course video only & HDCP compliant). Earlier this year when experimenting with upscaling dvd player, I found out that there is Sony bulletin about a modification that needs to be done to the tv to get the DVI port (with hdmi adaptor) to handshake with a hdmi output device. I was trying to get a DVP-NS9100ES to work with the set and ran into this problem. Luckily, I bought a 5 year warranty with the set and was able to get the modification done before parting with the set (passed on to the brother-in-law).

I am sure this is not something you want to hear but I think it will help you from pulling out all of you hair.

Mark Goode
CC, TX
HT Nut Since 1992
post #14 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGoodeCC View Post

Showard,

I know you frustration with that particular model lineup. I had the KP-65WV700 model (upgraded this year to the VPL-VW50 projector). I bought the tv thinking it would be future proof since DVI is compatible with HDMI (of course video only & HDCP compliant). Earlier this year when experimenting with upscaling dvd player, I found out that there is Sony bulletin about a modification that needs to be done to the tv to get the DVI port (with hdmi adaptor) to handshake with a hdmi output device. I was trying to get a DVP-NS9100ES to work with the set and ran into this problem. Luckily, I bought a 5 year warranty with the set and was able to get the modification done before parting with the set (passed on to the brother-in-law).

I am sure this is not something you want to hear but I think it will help you from pulling out all of you hair.

I've had the 57WV600 for several years and never got the DVI connection working right. I tried connecting a PC to the DVI port, best resolution I could get was 640x480, SVideo is 800x600!. Now a few years later I try and hook up a Playstation 3 HDMI to the DVI connection and run into the same problem, The DVI connection is crap. I called Sony and they do not have any service bulletins and have no documented issues with the DVI port, WHAT? I guess I have to continue using my component connections, unless someone gets it working.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I have the Sony KP-57WS520 which does have HDMI. However, there is no difference in picture quality between HDMI and component on this display once both are equally calibrated. In fact, component *might* even be a hair better in terms of sharpness/contrast - but it's very, very slight and hardly noticable.

I just bought a PS3 today and will try out component and HDMI tonight just to see how component is implemented, but I bet they'll be virtually identical. In fact, the clipping issues of the PS3 only occur with HDMI as far as I know, so might just use component myself. I'll post comments later. Looking forward to see how well the 480p output is for SD DVDs, as well.

post #16 of 21 Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2600 View Post

I've had the 57WV600 for several years and never got the DVI connection working right. I tried connecting a PC to the DVI port, best resolution I could get was 640x480, SVideo is 800x600!. Now a few years later I try and hook up a Playstation 3 HDMI to the DVI connection and run into the same problem, The DVI connection is crap. I called Sony and they do not have any service bulletins and have no documented issues with the DVI port, WHAT? I guess I have to continue using my component connections, unless someone gets it working.

Apparently whenever they have an issue they don't bother to document it !!! I have had nothing but problems with the DVI input since I bought my 65WV700. About a year ago I tried to hook up a Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc changer and... NO PICTURE. Now I get a PS3 and guess what... NO PICTURE. The part that really burns me, is that I can get a picture from my off brand HD cablebox. My parents bought the same TV at the same time and had the same issue. After multiple calls to customer service they have never admitted a problem or offered a solution. It wouldn't be so bad had they given us more than 2 measly component inputs but now I have to upgrade my receiver so that I can hook up all of my dvd players.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

to the OP i have the exact same tv u are using......i can output 720p and 1080i no problem with the ps3.....i'm running a hdmi cable to a monster hdmi to dvi adapter and it works flawlessly......hopefully that helps.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattsp View Post

to the OP i have the exact same tv u are using......i can output 720p and 1080i no problem with the ps3.....i'm running a hdmi cable to a monster hdmi to dvi adapter and it works flawlessly......hopefully that helps.

After reading your post, I decided to try and set it all up again. I was finally able to get my KP-57WV600 working with the HDMI to DVI connection. It currently supports 720p and 1080i, I did have to change the BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) to automatic, the default Y PB/Cb Pr/Cr setting was really screwing with the screen. I don't know if it's just me....but the HDMI / DVI connection looks slightly better (than component).

Thanks....
post #19 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2600 View Post

Somewhat good news for anyone with this TV and the notorious non-working DVI. My DVI port has never worked since I bought this TV. I went round and round with Sony trying to get this fixed and finally just gave up (I only had one component that could use DVI/HDMI at the time anyway). Well, I was coming to the end of my 5 year extended warranty so I decided to just tell the warranty company that the DVI port was broken (need to get something for my $300). Well they replaced it yesterday with a brand new card and guess what... My PS3, 400 Disc Sony player, and HD DVD player now all work over the DVI Connection. This is somewhat good in that I have now confirmed that this issue can be resolved. Somewhat bad in that most people who run into this problem now are probably out of warranty and Sony has NEVER offered to do the right thing in this case. By the way... this TV with Blu-ray looks awesome and now I can finally, finally... upconvert DVD!
post #20 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Oops, didn't realize this was in the Blu-ray section... sorry guys. Mods should probably move this to the RPTV section as it's now confirmed to be an issue with this sorry TV and not the sorry PS3.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 PM

what settings you guys recommend for a older CRT RPTV set?

I have a older CRT RPTV set, its one of the best ones though, a Sony KP-57WV700 with DVI

Right now I have my PS3 hooked up with the Component cable and set it at 1080i (I figured the PS3's upscaler is better, tv's of this type only support 480i/p or 1080i anyways right?)

but I noticed I can use my HDMI -> DVI cable and run the audio through analog output, which is perfect for my set becuase my DVI input has analog input for it.

Also for my set, I know it doesn't support super whites, but RGB range should be full on the HDMI setting right?

You guys think I should just stick with with my current setup or I change it?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page