PS3 about to go back to store - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. New here first post. So I finally get a PS3 a few days ago. I was under the impression it would display 1080i. BTW I have a Hitachi Ultravision 53 in. from 2002 and my tv is only 1080i/540p/480p. Blu ray movies look great. Played resistance and it absolutely sucks. Mine as well play PS2. With no fix in sight I will probably return it. Played COD 3 on 360 and that is a whole different story. I thought about keeping PS3 for Blu Ray movies for a minute but Sony's ignorance makes me not want to give them the sale nor buy the a2000 60 in. I have in my sights. Luckily it seems I have a good model that is quiet and does not lock up. All DD and DTS plays fine. I dont foresee a fix in the near future. For what it is worth standard dvd looks better and I think my tv upscaled to 1080i because I had to adjust my aspect ratio for a standard dvd.

OK. I feel better. Needed to complain a bit in a place where people understand me. It frustrates me because I always liked Sony and never had a gripe. Things wear, they break, but the PS3 thing is just plain retarded. I sent SONY an email and although my opinion doesent count I advised they should check all the forums around including their own. There are tens of thousands of potential customers who feel this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You can always repurchase when you get a diff TV and/or there is a fix for the issue. As for TV's CES is coming up so maybe wait to see what's coming out in 2007? Might as well jump on the HDMI1.3 bandwagon!
post #3 of 44 Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

When I saw Killzone 2 was coming out in July I decided I wanted one. I may return and purchase around the summer time and see what kind of bugs they fixed. I am due for a new tv anyway but waiting til sales are best. BB should have their best sales this Sunday a rep told me.

I would only imagine SONY is getting hammered from everyone about down conversion issue. I will be upset if it a hardware fix only b/c then I am screwed.
post #4 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

FYI - Sony will probably fix this pretty quicky, it was definitely more of an "oversight" in the launch software and not a shortcoming in the hardware. The PS3 has more than enough power to re-scale the game output to whatever format your TV might require. I would expect either an OS patch or individual game patches, and increased requirements for software makers to support scaling before releasing titles, whichever route they take, I don't expect the status quo will remain for long.

I think they just underestimated how many people have set that can't handle 720p.
post #5 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

You're right, maybe I overreacted.
I'm just so sick of all the haters.

I hear you brother the console wars make the optical wars look like fuzzy animals... In any case I am almost totally neutral. Just need a Wii and D-VHS.
post #6 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

I hear you brother the console wars make the optical wars look like fuzzy animals... In any case I am almost totally neutral. Just need a Wii and D-VHS.

I have them all

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #7 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All I want to add is buy a PC and all your problems go away. Consoles pfff....
post #8 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

Besides, PC's equal drivers, viruses, and Windows.

Debunk....
I have a "PC" that runs Linux and one that runs OSX. They all have drivers and exploits. I also have a cell phone that performs many of the same functions as a "PC" with no Windows in sight.

Steam: Guts
post #9 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At this point, the consoles are far, far more powerful from a CPU perspective than any PC is, and this time, this lead will be maintained for quite a bit longer than in previous generations, me thinks.

The current series of consoles (with the exception of Wii) are using more than just the basic re-purposed processors of yesteryear - they have specially designed floating point monsters with multiple cores (3 symmetric for the 360, 1 + 7 SPE's for the PS3) designed specifically for the rigors of gaming.

Besides, PC's equal drivers, viruses, and Windows.

The PS3/Wii/360, regardless of your position on them (and if you're a gamer, not a fanboy, your position is you want all 3 if you have the financial means), offer hassle free, insert-disc/play-game functionality.

At 11:00pm when I just want to zone out, I far prefer that - regardless of the higher CPU power.

I would disagree. The PS3 really only has one general purpose core processor. It's a 3.2Ghz PowerPC based chip which I believe is somewhat stripped down to run at a lower clock speed. The unit only has 256MB of RAM as well. I would guess a nice celeron machine would run Linux better than the PS3.

The Xbox 360 has (3) general purpose cores of whcih are 3.2GHz PowerPC based but I believe they are also stripped down. It does have 512MB of memory available though.

The reason developers find the 360 easier to desgin software for is because they don't have to specialize the application around the hardware as much as one does for the PS3.
post #10 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

I've read a number of comments on other sites where people downplayed this problem and actually blamed consumers for purchasing "gimp" TVs! I was amazed that people had the nerve to blame consumers instead of Sony.
post #11 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok....return it if you're not happy......I'm sure the store you bought it from will take it back no questions asked. Perhaps a year or two down the road, you'll reconsider and buy another one.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #12 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well I know this much, I am returning Resistance today. Some games are displayed in 480p to 1080p so we are going to depend on the developers for this issue. At least what Sony said. They can't fix the harware but pressure the developer to make them in all formats. Seems easy enough to me. Not too many releases until a few months it seems.
post #13 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I am not bashing the system because I feel the games are going to be great. I will say as far as a Blu Ray player mine is fast and no issues on shut down or anything. My wife likes the resident evil series and played it on the PS3 and it didn't look the best but was playable. I may be over reacting.

Also got someone to buy my Hitachi for 600 to put towards another TV. I may keep it yet.
post #14 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 PM

There's a massive firmware update coming in March in time for the European launch. I don't recall if they said it will address the scaling issues, but considering it's the number one most talked about problem next to the lack of a true multitasking OS you can bet they're working on it.

Format Apathetic
post #15 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

By Sony's standards they are blaming the software developers for not making the games in other formats but Sony is the developer of RFOM. Go figure
post #16 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM

RFOM plays great here. I don't regret the purchsae at all-unlike my 360 purchase. It might be time to add a second HDTV to the inventory.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My PS3 is becoming an expensive dust collector. Don't want to pay the Blu Ray disc prices ($30+ for decade old movies?!) and there isn't very many games I want to play yet. Hoping, and glad I got a 360 for Christmas in the meantime.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #18 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Yes, the PS3 does have one general purpose core... but the 7 other cores for floating point vector math (which well written games take advantage of) are where the computational power of the PS3 comes from.

Everything I have read so far state that currently 1 of the 8 SPE's has been disabled to keep yields up so that leaves 1 for the system and 6 for everything else.
post #19 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they plan on making all games 1080p which will easily dowscale to what ever your chosen resolution is. WHich is why the upscale feature was overlooked.
Much in the same way that sony IMO plans for 50gb BD's to be the rule soon rather than the acception. Just my prediction.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:
post #20 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

My PS3 is becoming an expensive dust collector. Don't want to pay the Blu Ray disc prices ($30+ for decade old movies?!) and there isn't very many games I want to play yet. Hoping, and glad I got a 360 for Christmas in the meantime.

Try Amazon to buy and Netflix to rent.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #21 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i've got a couple coming from netflix, but I think they come from mars. My discs normally arrive in LESS than a day, now it is three days on since shipping.
post #22 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb_hburg View Post

Try Amazon to buy and Netflix to rent.

It does get a little old hearing people complain about spending 30 dollars for a disc doesnt it. Ive 64 BD discs and have never spent more than 24.99. Most are usually less. Car Salesman must love a lot of these people.
post #23 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I sure am glad you have 64 BD discs....
Until you know everyone's story (including inept mail delivery that sends stuff to three houses over many times a year), don't be so cocky.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #24 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

I sure am glad you have 64 BD discs....
Until you know everyone's story (including inept mail delivery that sends stuff to three houses over many times a year), don't be so cocky.

Its not just the mail. Target, Walmart, etc. Ive heard people on hear say the had target and best buy price match eachothers and amazons online prices. Or you can even have them sent to a friend or family member in a different neighborhood. Im just saying there are options. And also I wasnt just directing that comment to you. I see it on numerous threads by numerous people complaing that their local best buy has a movie for 34.99 and they buy it without even looking around and then come on here and complain about it. Sorry if I offended you.
post #25 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Debunk....
I have a "PC" that runs Linux and one that runs OSX. They all have drivers and exploits. I also have a cell phone that performs many of the same functions as a "PC" with no Windows in sight.

And how much gaming do you do on it?
post #26 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 PM

Liked: 14
I took mine back as well. I will probably get another one in a year or so, but it depends on what blu-ray titles are released.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #27 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 PM

i'am amazed by everyone bitching about $34 per movie when you just paid $500-600 for a ps3. lets go back to 97 when dvd came out. the cheapest was $29-39 and they were a pain to find any place selling them. no target,wallmart, hell the only place was fry's. blu ray and Hd dvd came to those stores hell lot faster and were cheaper most bd movies are $19-27 same as HD dvd.

113 Blu ray movies 600+ dvd
post #28 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyrocket View Post

i'am amazed by everyone bitching about $34 per movie when you just paid $500-600 for a ps3. lets go back to 97 when dvd came out. the cheapest was $29-39 and they were a pain to find any place selling them. no target,wallmart, hell the only place was fry's. blu ray and Hd dvd came to those stores hell lot faster and were cheaper most bd movies are $19-27 same as HD dvd.

Actually, I am surprised folks are paying that much (be it BD or HD-DVD) to watch movies they already saw in SD DVD!!

But I agree with you. When someone blows that much dough on a platform while knowing the movie price ahead of time, there is no reason to complain about price.

-T
post #29 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

Actually, I am surprised folks are paying that much (be it BD or HD-DVD) to watch movies they already saw in SD DVD!!

But I agree with you. When someone blows that much dough on a platform while knowing the movie price ahead of time, there is no reason to complain about price.

-T

Agreed. I'm mostly going the rental route for most of my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray titles, except for those movies that I know I'll watch repeatedly. I would suggest that to those who are complaining about the price of the movies (didn't you take a look at the prices before you bought the console?) My mother, who is not the most tech-savvy person, is currently considering purchasing a HD-DVD player. She's already looked online and at Best Buy at the prices of the HD-DVDs. I would imagine most informed consumers would do the same before making a major purchase like this.
post #30 of 44 Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

Get real.

You have fun playing "next gen" games on any of those. Mac games are notoriously delayed compared to their Windows counterparts, Linux games are virtually non-existent (unless you want to run them in emulation, which has it's own raft of problems), and cell phone gaming is hardly comparable.

If you want to game on computers, Windows is where you need to go, and therein lies the problem.

Nice try, though.

I was just sticking it to your "PC" = Windows point.

Steam: Guts
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page