Sony KDF-60WF655 + Sony PS3...component or HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
boxsterbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

Need some advice.

I have a 60" Sony LCD Projection TV...KDF60WF655. (480p/i, 720p, 1080i), one HDMI input, two component inputs.

Currently have:
- a Samsung upconverting DVD hooked up via component
- Motorola HD-DVR hooked up via HDMI

Now have additional Sony PS3.

What should I do to get the best out of my gear?
I've been reading a lot about connection issues, handshaking etc with HDMI switchers...and now the fact that component may even be better than HDMI for the PS3?

Is it true that in my case, I don't have to worry so much about component vs. HDMI since 1080i is not true HD anyway? If so I would save a bunch on buying an HDMI switcher and HDMI cables...enough to maybe buy one or two games!

So if this is the case, I could probably get away with putting two of my devices on component mode, and one on HDMI...and if so, which one do you folks suggest putting on HDMI?

Thanks!
boxsterbri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Member
 
Matt-05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterbri View Post

Hi folks,

Need some advice.

I have a 60" Sony LCD Projection TV...KDF60WF655. (480p/i, 720p, 1080i), one HDMI input, two component inputs.

Currently have:
- a Samsung upconverting DVD hooked up via component
- Motorola HD-DVR hooked up via HDMI

Now have additional Sony PS3.

What should I do to get the best out of my gear?
I've been reading a lot about connection issues, handshaking etc with HDMI switchers...and now the fact that component may even be better than HDMI for the PS3?

Is it true that in my case, I don't have to worry so much about component vs. HDMI since 1080i is not true HD anyway? If so I would save a bunch on buying an HDMI switcher and HDMI cables...enough to maybe buy one or two games!

So if this is the case, I could probably get away with putting two of my devices on component mode, and one on HDMI...and if so, which one do you folks suggest putting on HDMI?

Thanks!

Well, having that upconverting DVD player hooked up to component is doing nothing for ya...you should have it via HDMI...Cable box should be component. I would get rid of the upconverting DVD player and hook up the cable box via component and the PS3 through HDMI and use the PS3 for Blu Ray and DVD. Movie playig on the PS3 is not really going to stress the system all that much.

I have the same TV as you(except its a 55inch) and I have: HD-A2 and PS3 via HDMI(got a switcher from monoprice), Xbox360 via component and a Scientific Atlantic Cable box(Time Warner) through component. I have had my Cable Box through HDMI before and I notice no difference.

Waiting on a winner....or the SamsungUP5000
Matt-05 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
rupertoooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lorton, Virginia
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having the GWIV model means your sets native resolution is 1386x788 so an HDMI connection may not yield the best results. The only way to determine which offers the best results would be to try both.

From all of the info out their the concensus is the PS3 is not a superior SD player (Personally Im not sure if this is the case) and does not offer upconversion capability so it probably would be best to keep the Samsung as you SD player and use the PS3 for gaming and Blue-ray playback, but again the only way to be sure is testing it for yourself.
rupertoooo is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
boxsterbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks...

Question:

1. What is GWIV?

2. Stupid question...is there a big difference between 780p and 1080i? Is it better to run at 780p? I have no idea about this stuff....

Thanks again..
boxsterbri is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dogdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 3,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterbri View Post

Thanks...

Question:

1. What is GWIV?

2. Stupid question...is there a big difference between 780p and 1080i? Is it better to run at 780p? I have no idea about this stuff....

Thanks again..

1) Sony RPLCD tv's are also called Grand Wega's (GW) and the I, II, III, IV represents the generations of technology - your TV and mine is classified by many on the boards here as a GWIV. You can find a GWIV owners thread and GWIV tweaks thread.

2) the difference is all in what you see. I can see a significant difference between 720p/1080i on my 50 set. So I set most things to 1080i and let the sony do the scaling.

Here is a great laymans read on HDTV stuff - link

As for your situation - definately check to see if your Samsung DVD player doesn't upconvert over component like Matt said. If have a DVB318 upconvert that does a wonderful job over component (but few do) and an HR10 Directv HD tivo over component as well - the HDMI is reserved to the PS3. If your DVD player needs to be HDMI and you like the HDMI for the cable, then you have a few options - either get and HDMI switcher or get a receiver that can act as HDMI switcher. And/or get a new TV with multiple HDMI inputs.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
dogdoctor is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
boxsterbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, thanks for all your help.

Last question, is the GWIV HDCP compliant?

I was just reading the PS3 manual last night and it says the PS3 won't display properly using HDMI cables if the set isn't HDCP compliant; I went through the set's manual and couldn't find that info...
boxsterbri is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Terrll23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Marcos, Tx
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterbri View Post

Cool, thanks for all your help.

Last question, is the GWIV HDCP compliant?

I was just reading the PS3 manual last night and it says the PS3 won't display properly using HDMI cables if the set isn't HDCP compliant; I went through the set's manual and couldn't find that info...


Yes it is HDCP compliant.

HD DVD: 184
Blu Ray: 148
Terrll23 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
the49ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have the 55 inch, and I have mine connected to my Onyko 604 via HDMI, I have the PS3 connected via HDMI to the receiver. I have a cablecard, so the frees up space. From everything I have ever seen about this tv, 1080i looks better than 720p. If your not concerned with getting the best sound out of your ps3, then component and optical will be best for your setup.
the49ola is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off