Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

Need some advice.

I have a 60" Sony LCD Projection TV...KDF60WF655. (480p/i, 720p, 1080i), one HDMI input, two component inputs.

Currently have:
- a Samsung upconverting DVD hooked up via component
- Motorola HD-DVR hooked up via HDMI

Now have additional Sony PS3.

What should I do to get the best out of my gear?
I've been reading a lot about connection issues, handshaking etc with HDMI switchers...and now the fact that component may even be better than HDMI for the PS3?

Is it true that in my case, I don't have to worry so much about component vs. HDMI since 1080i is not true HD anyway? If so I would save a bunch on buying an HDMI switcher and HDMI cables...enough to maybe buy one or two games!

So if this is the case, I could probably get away with putting two of my devices on component mode, and one on HDMI...and if so, which one do you folks suggest putting on HDMI?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterbri View Post

Hi folks,

Need some advice.

I have a 60" Sony LCD Projection TV...KDF60WF655. (480p/i, 720p, 1080i), one HDMI input, two component inputs.

Currently have:
- a Samsung upconverting DVD hooked up via component
- Motorola HD-DVR hooked up via HDMI

Now have additional Sony PS3.

What should I do to get the best out of my gear?
I've been reading a lot about connection issues, handshaking etc with HDMI switchers...and now the fact that component may even be better than HDMI for the PS3?

Is it true that in my case, I don't have to worry so much about component vs. HDMI since 1080i is not true HD anyway? If so I would save a bunch on buying an HDMI switcher and HDMI cables...enough to maybe buy one or two games!

So if this is the case, I could probably get away with putting two of my devices on component mode, and one on HDMI...and if so, which one do you folks suggest putting on HDMI?

Thanks!

Well, having that upconverting DVD player hooked up to component is doing nothing for ya...you should have it via HDMI...Cable box should be component. I would get rid of the upconverting DVD player and hook up the cable box via component and the PS3 through HDMI and use the PS3 for Blu Ray and DVD. Movie playig on the PS3 is not really going to stress the system all that much.

I have the same TV as you(except its a 55inch) and I have: HD-A2 and PS3 via HDMI(got a switcher from monoprice), Xbox360 via component and a Scientific Atlantic Cable box(Time Warner) through component. I have had my Cable Box through HDMI before and I notice no difference.

Waiting on a winner....or the SamsungUP5000
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Having the GWIV model means your sets native resolution is 1386x788 so an HDMI connection may not yield the best results. The only way to determine which offers the best results would be to try both.

From all of the info out their the concensus is the PS3 is not a superior SD player (Personally Im not sure if this is the case) and does not offer upconversion capability so it probably would be best to keep the Samsung as you SD player and use the PS3 for gaming and Blue-ray playback, but again the only way to be sure is testing it for yourself.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...

Question:

1. What is GWIV?

2. Stupid question...is there a big difference between 780p and 1080i? Is it better to run at 780p? I have no idea about this stuff....

Thanks again..
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks...

Question:

1. What is GWIV?

2. Stupid question...is there a big difference between 780p and 1080i? Is it better to run at 780p? I have no idea about this stuff....

Thanks again..

1) Sony RPLCD tv's are also called Grand Wega's (GW) and the I, II, III, IV represents the generations of technology - your TV and mine is classified by many on the boards here as a GWIV. You can find a GWIV owners thread and GWIV tweaks thread.

2) the difference is all in what you see. I can see a significant difference between 720p/1080i on my 50 set. So I set most things to 1080i and let the sony do the scaling.

Here is a great laymans read on HDTV stuff - link

As for your situation - definately check to see if your Samsung DVD player doesn't upconvert over component like Matt said. If have a DVB318 upconvert that does a wonderful job over component (but few do) and an HR10 Directv HD tivo over component as well - the HDMI is reserved to the PS3. If your DVD player needs to be HDMI and you like the HDMI for the cable, then you have a few options - either get and HDMI switcher or get a receiver that can act as HDMI switcher. And/or get a new TV with multiple HDMI inputs.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for all your help.

Last question, is the GWIV HDCP compliant?

I was just reading the PS3 manual last night and it says the PS3 won't display properly using HDMI cables if the set isn't HDCP compliant; I went through the set's manual and couldn't find that info...
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Cool, thanks for all your help.

Last question, is the GWIV HDCP compliant?

I was just reading the PS3 manual last night and it says the PS3 won't display properly using HDMI cables if the set isn't HDCP compliant; I went through the set's manual and couldn't find that info...

Yes it is HDCP compliant.

HD DVD: 184
Blu Ray: 148
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 PM

I also have the 55 inch, and I have mine connected to my Onyko 604 via HDMI, I have the PS3 connected via HDMI to the receiver. I have a cablecard, so the frees up space. From everything I have ever seen about this tv, 1080i looks better than 720p. If your not concerned with getting the best sound out of your ps3, then component and optical will be best for your setup.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page