Who wants to talk me out of selling my PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, on x-mas eve, I was one happy camper. I was doing some late x-mas shopping and at a local A/V - furniture store, I came across a PS3. They had just put out about 10 of them just minutes before I went in there. I picked up the 20gb.

For now, my main reason for the purchase was for blu-ray. I already had the Toshiba HD-A1. I also picked up the game Resisstance, which I haven't opened yet. From what I've read and heard, the consensus seemed to be that the PS3 was a better blu-ray player than both the Sammy and Panasonic - video wise. So I was pretty excited.

I finally get it hooked up via HDMI (the HD-A1 is also hooked up via HDMI), set the resolution output to 1080i and threw in T2. I wasn't impressed at all. I then threw in Tears of the Sun. Same thing - not impressed. I tried these two titles, along with Jay and Silent Bob and X3. I would say X3 looked the best out of all of them, but was inconsistant. My main gripe is that the color looks washed out, on all 4 titles I tried. None of them had that "WOW" factor that I've experienced with HD-DVD - not even Tears of the Sun. The only thing that's impressive is the uncompressed audio soundtracks.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it the PS3 or is it just Blu-ray in general? I can't return it because the store I bought it at doesn't take returns on game consoles and computers, so it would have to go up on ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe hold onto it long enough to see the next round of titles? You should have what; 30 days to return it? maybe something will Click before then. Sorry for the bad pun.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

Maybe hold onto it long enough to see the next round of titles? You should have what; 30 days to return it? maybe something will Click before then. Sorry for the bad pun.

Actually I don't have 30 days. The store I bought it at doesn't have a satisfied or your money back deal. So I'm stuck with it or have to put it up on ebay. Also, Tears of the Sun is supposedly a reference or near reference title video-wise and I wasn't impressed with it at all.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

If your not happy with it, sell it......
post #5 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, just return it. You're not going to make much if anything selling it. Also, I'd suggest you not shop anymore at stores that don't have a 30 day return policy. I know I wouldn't.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post

Actually I don't have 30 days. The store I bought it at doesn't have a satisfied or your money back deal. So I'm stuck with it or have to put it up on ebay. Also, Tears of the Sun is supposedly a reference or near reference title video-wise and I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Yeah, if ToS looks "washed out" to you, then something has got to be wrong with your display. You may want to make some adjustments as each new CE device can require different settings on each type of input. My guess is you may want to lower your Contrast a bit (at your own risk of course ). ToS ranks up there with the best of HD-DVD, that's for sure. I would definately hold on to the PS3 as there are a lot of great titles coming out in the next 90 days exclusive to Blu-ray. Some other Blu-ray titles to try would be:

Kingdom of Heaven
Transporter 2
Corpse Bride

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM

1080i vs 1080p could also be a factor depending on the size of ur tv...some ppl can tell a difference and some can't.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post

Yeah, just return it. You're not going to make much if anything selling it. Also, I'd suggest you not shop anymore at stores that don't have a 30 day return policy. I know I wouldn't.

I agree.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
These things are toys, they're supposed to make you happy. If you don't enjoy it, just return it. But before you do that, check contrast and brightness settings on your TV, the defaults for contrast and brightness and sharpness are usually way too high (sharpness should be 0 btw). TotS has a screen that can be used to calibrate your display. In the menu screen 7669 will bring up a few test screens. On the first one, play with brightness until the lower right bar looks same shade of black and then bring it up a little so a small part is visible (at least that is my preferred mode).

In the 3rd screen, you can play with contrast until you get as many distinct shades of gray as possible.

Ice Age II has a lot of 'wow' factor. Haunted mansion has too (but has some problems in a couple of dark area scenes). If you're in the right age group, Tony Bennet's special has a chapter with Diana Krall that should be very shiny (although the streisand chapter was terrible). The Wild started with a few minutes of bad video (deliberate) that turned out to be 'flashback' mode. The actual movie after that is very clean.

(Btw, which HD-DVD titles gave you the wow-factor? After PotO and Serenity, there's actually very few that are consistently good, and quite a few that seem to be worse than PotO.)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Closed before this thread goes south. Answer provided.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page