Is there a blu-ray player better than the rest? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will end up buying a bluray player sooner or later, right now I own an HD-DVD player, and I am very pleased. I am wondering if there is a player that has an advantage picture wise over the competition.

Is there another player besides the usual suspects, Sony, panasonic, Pioneer, and the infamous samsung? I just saw a philips blu-ray player for sale online and it stated it was in stock.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no concensus 'best blu-ray player' at this time.....they all have thier pros and cons. Likely there will be more hardware announcements at CES which is less then a week away as well.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

There is no concensus 'best blu-ray player' at this time.....they all have thier pros and cons. Likely there will be more hardware announcements at CES which is less then a week away as well.

I was reffering to picture quality, surely the samsung does not look the same as the other players?

post #4 of 15 Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Depends on who you talk to. I tried out the Sony and the Samsung at the same time. Kept the Sony and returned the Samsung (even though it was a few hundred $$$ less money). Any PQ differences were negligible. I just felt more comfortable somehow with the Sony.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 AM

Ps3.

Blu-ray is the way!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 AM

The Panasonic is what i recommend:

1) Excellent picture quality only bettered by the Pioneer Elite by a small almost unnoticeable margin..

2) The best audio quality and support of all the Blu-Ray players:

a) CD Audio Support
b) DVD Audio Support (Only Blu-Ray Player to do so)
c) DTS-HD and Dolby True HD Support via 7.1 Analog Outs (with April Firmware release) (Only Blu-Ray Player to do so)

3) Very reliable and plays all Blu-Ray discs unlike the other players, who are currently having problems with some discs eg Descent.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexortega View Post

1) Excellent picture quality only bettered by the Pioneer Elite by a small almost unnoticeable margin..

a) CD Audio Support
c) DTS-HD and Dolby True HD Support via 7.1 Analog Outs (with April Firmware release) (Only Blu-Ray Player to do so)

3) Very reliable and plays all Blu-Ray discs unlike the other players, who are currently having problems with some discs eg Descent.

Thank you Alex. I have always liked Panasonic products. They always seem to deliver good solid units. Saludos.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexortega View Post

a) CD Audio Support

I agree about Panasonic, but how did you get Pioneer Elite in Australia. Elite products are only sold in US and Canada. Did you import it form US?. In my opinion Blu-ray picture is the same on both. However Panasonic SD DVD upconversion looked slightly better to me than Pioneer.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I will end up buying a bluray player sooner or later, right now I own an HD-DVD player, and I am very pleased. I am wondering if there is a player that has an advantage picture wise over the competition.

Is there another player besides the usual suspects, Sony, panasonic, Pioneer, and the infamous samsung? I just saw a philips blu-ray player for sale online and it stated it was in stock.

There is a lot of talk that the PS3 is the best BD player to date...this is not my opinion! ...just from reading this forum.

Joe V.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

There is a lot of talk that the PS3 is the best BD player to date...this is not my opinion! ...just from reading this forum.

There are two issues with the PS3.

1) SD-DVD playback (no upconvert)

2) No support for IR based remotes.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM

I view the lack of an IR remote to be a good thing. The Blue tooth remote works from ANYWHERE in the room, pointing in ANY direction. I LOVE THAT!
post #12 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild View Post

That's pretty cool, but no IR receiver means it won't work with universal remotes, including the much loved Harmony series.

If you have a Harmony that uses RF, you can already point it anywhere and have it work courtesy of the IR/RF repeaters - just not with the PS3. There is that workaround using the PS2->USB adapter and the PS2 IR receiver from the original PS2 DVD remote, but that's pretty ugly.

Hopefully Sony (or some industrious third party) will release a cheap little "knub" USB plug (like the aforementioned PS2 IR receiving knub for original PS2 consoles) to add full time, non-ugly IR reception to the PS3.

Of course, if Sony isn't totally retarded they'll add a built in one to a revision of the PS3 (like they did with PS2).

I love the Harmony remotes (I got two - a 550 and a 880), but in my main HT, I have an awkward setup. The TV is on a blanj wall with nothing around it except the speakers, all cabling is hidden behind the drywall. My equipment is right angle to that on a rack between all the movies on cabinets --- that's 90 degrees to the TV.

This means that when I start an activity like : [Watch HD-DVD], I have to be careful with the angle I point it. 3/4 times, it will work correctly, but when it dosn't, one of the devices didn't get the IR signal because I pointed it at the wrong angle or I moved the the player just so that it now didn't work.

The Activity button in the harmony is one of the coolest features in there.

Longer term, what I prefer is for all the CE devices to move to some form of RF (bluetooth or not is immaterial). Harmony has a 890 version that supports RF, but as I don't have any device that takes RF, I didn't get that.

Now, if Harmony has a bluetooth compatible RF version, I would buy that immediately.

---

To answer the thread. I never thought I'd say it, but the PS3 looks better than my samsung. It drives my plasma via HDMI, even supports 1080P on my LCD, has photo slideshows more advanced than the samsung, web browser.

I am now debating whether to keep my panasonic.

One thing for the panasonic --- it is compatible with many authored BD-RE disks. BDAV or BDMV, MPEG2 or AVC. The only thing it can't handle is 25fps materials --- the screen shows up black, but chapter advance works. 24P or 60i mpeg2 or AVC all work.

The PS3 paradoxically will handle BDMV content only if the disk is a DVD/R (not BD-RE) with AVC --- it thinks it is an AVCHD disk. It will also only work if the title is 30p or 60i, it seems to play any 24P materials I threw at it. And it plays a lot of files if the headers are fixed. They need more firmware upgrades for BDAV and BDMV (on BD-RE) to the same extent as the panasonic and samsung players handle it.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

I agree about Panasonic, but how did you get Pioneer Elite in Australia. Elite products are only sold in US and Canada. Did you import it form US?. In my opinion Blu-ray picture is the same on both. However Panasonic SD DVD upconversion looked slightly better to me than Pioneer.

I imported the Panasonic from the US. The Pioneer Elite reference is quoted from another AVS member Joerod who owns both players.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

For picture quality the Pioneer exceeds all others. No doubt about it.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 AM

ps3 is on par with most players for picture quality
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page