post #181 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

Ah yes, the 360 launch comparison. When the 360 launched, it launched in 3 territories, not 2.

It was also in such short supply that you could not find units on store shelves until well into 2006.

It also had to deal with the usual shite storm of Sony urging people to wait for the PS3 instead of buying the 360, promising that the PS3 launch was just around the corner when in fact it did not get off the ground until a year later, and exclaiming that it was going to be much more powerful than the 360 (I personally recall Mr. "destroyah" perpetuating that argument over at Beyond3D around X360 launch time, by the way.)

Now we see what happens when the hardware is out there on even footing and people can judge the performance for themselves and determine if it's really worth the price premium, or anything at all. The result is that the PS3 is readily available, and has sold about 1/2 to 1/3 of what the 360 did this Holiday season despite riding an unheard of wave of hype.

The irony is that Sony would not have been in such a terrible position had they not shackled BluRay to the PS3. Now they are staring down a ton of backlash in the press, games that look as good or better on the 360, and an overpriced system late to launch that is readily available and not selling anywhere near expectations. They have developers jumping ship left and right for the 360 platform, and all for what?

They sacrificed their #1 most profitable division for some foolish attempt to exploit their user base and pry Blu Ray into everyone's living room.

The fact that they keep on lying and spinning just makes them look worse in a market that is not as dumb as it used to be.

Amen brother....this could be a sermon all in itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah yes, the 360 launch comparison. When the 360 launched, it launched in 3 territories, not 2.

It was also in such short supply that you could not find units on store shelves until well into 2006.

So we'll wait until June for comparisons instead, sound good? 360 sales only recently 'took off' with the launch of Gears of War (that's what the power of a single game can be). 360 sales were pretty steady otherwise; even through your so-called months of scarcity.

Quote:
(I personally recall Mr. "destroyah" perpetuating that argument over at Beyond3D around X360 launch time, by the way.)

The above is my formal response to your post, but this here I'll deal with seperately. You're certainly welcome to find a *single* post with me indicating such. I promise you won't find one, because I never would have made an argument like that. Telling other people to 'wait' for something instead of purchasing something they might otherwise want is absolutely not my style.

Sean, you were a troll on B3D, and you're a troll here as well.
post #183 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Does absolutely nothing to change the fact that the PS3 outsold it in North America during the same time period.

What you just did is called "spin." PS3 outsold the 360 at their respective launches, and because you don't like it you look for some data to change the subject in order to spin it so it doesn't look as bad or even worse make it look good, regardless of the fact that the initial data was not inaccurate to begin with and was intrinsic and self-explanatory. Since NPD only deals with North America I'm not sure how other territories factor into the equation especially given the fact that worldwide shipment numbers were hardly any different considering that the PS3 shipped more units to Japan in December than the 360 has the entire year of 2006, so saying that the PS3 shipped in "less territories" which you are indeed insinuating means they "shipped a lot less outside of America" is deliberately misleading.

Quote:

Now we see what happens when the hardware is out there on even footing and people can judge the performance for themselves and determine if it's really worth the price premium, or anything at all. The result is that the PS3 is readily available, and has sold about 1/2 to 1/3 of what the 360 did this Holiday season despite riding an unheard of wave of hype.

Ridiculous to compare the sales of a system that has been on the market for one year to the comparable time period of one that has just launched. Only type of person that would do this is one with an agenda.

And we all know that the PS3 was not "readily available" in December. So first you spin the subject, then you deliberately mislead people, then you compare apples to oranges, and now we have you lying about the PS3 availability last month when we all know it was not easily found in December. I feel like I'm on a video game forum. And you have the gall to accuse Sony of spin and lying? I don't disagree with that... but are you really the man to raise that issue?
post #184 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Here in the SW Sub of Chicago...PS3's are plentiful...Gamestop, Target, CC have had them for awhile...the only one sold out was BB. I think the price is hurting PS3 sales along with THE Wii thingy selling like crazy...Xbox360 are also plentiful.

Joe V.
post #185 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 PM

Reading all these replies, it's hard for me to tell who is on what side...I am confused!

BluRay titles - 46 and counting
BluRay players - PS3 and BDP-S1
post #186 of 231 Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Well, what can I say other than I disagree with you trgraphics. I think comparing to a year ago does matter. Or would one have felt it fair to compare the 360 on it's launch to say the PS2 sales from the same year? And in that sense, should we be comparing 360 to PS2 even now?

Apples to apples - that is the way. Launch month compared to launch month, system generation to system generation.

It's sold more units than the 360 did at launch. If 360 is selling 1.1 million in December of this year, so might Sony sell 1.1 million PS3's in December of next year. That is the key message here that some folk are having trouble with.

WRONG. All that matters is that in spite of higher PS3 than Xbox initial sales, the PS3 is currently being outsold by both Wii and Nintendo and if this trend continues it is mathematically impossible for the PS3 to catch up to its competitors.

Apples to Apples is total units sold to date and current sales rates. X box sold one unit last year it means diddly squat because its outselling PS3 by at least a 4:1 ratio right now. How you like them Apples?
post #187 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

WRONG. All that matters is that in spite of higher PS3 than Xbox initial sales, the PS3 is currently being outsold by both Wii and Nintendo and if this trend continues it is mathematically impossible for the PS3 to catch up to its competitors.

Wait a minute... both Wii and Nintendo!?!? Oh man....

I think you're confused overall though apocada; I'm not talking bout PS3 becoming #1, I'm talking about comparative performance levels as trend indicators. And in that, I very much stand by what I've said.
post #188 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Who cares how the PS3 is selling compared to the xbox 360 from a year ago? It's not selling very well now. And thats what matters. Looks to me like the PS3 came in dead last. You know that spinning false numbers can only get you so far. Sooner or later the truth comes out!

Nintendo DS 1.6 mm, Total: 9.2 mm
PS2 1.4 mm, Total: 37.1 mm
GBA 850.7 K, Total: 35.1 mm
Xbox 360 1.1 mm, Total: 4.5 mm
Wii 604.2 K, Total: 1.1 mm
PSP 953.2 K, Total: 6.7 mm
PS3 490.7 K, Total: 687.3 K

How do we read these number? with the Sony hate firmly in place (and a little bit of BluRay hate as well i guess?. Then we can say that Sony got fullfaced owned by the XBOX 360 that sold an impressive 1.1 Million while Sony had PS3´s collecting dust on the shelves.

Or we can try a little bit of the middleway (which i´m sure will be looked at with hate anyway). XBOX performed nice, maybe not up to the 1.5 Million that some expected but with 3 competitors they did very good just as Nintendo did with a brand new console. Sony also had a nice Xmas with fair PS3 sales (if we believe their shipped numbers units) and a very healthy PS2 sale.

Or we can try the Sony road, Sony sold every PS3 they put into the market eventhough their console was priced at minimum 499$. And they earned alot of cash and moved more units with a 6 year old console than Microsoft could do with a heavily PR backed and hyped console that even had a new AAA title backing it. With very few top games, a high price tag and lots of bad Buzz the Playstation platform delivered what Microsoft could only dream about: "starting the next gen".

In some ways this is like when we had HD-DVD supporters gloating and lol'ing all day in the Blu-Ray forum, you know before there was BD50/VC-1/PS3 and more movies on the Blu-Ray platform. In other words before the war even had started.

Love!
post #189 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
You all do realize the NPD data still doesn't show you all U.S. Sales. Alot of companies like Wal-mart do not report their sales data to them. So for any of these systems the numbers are still higher then what they report. The only source you can get the total is from the companies themselves. Just because NPD is the official spokesman for sales data in the U.S. doesn't mean it is the holy grail showing all sales.

The 5.0 is here
post #190 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.gwn.com/articles/article....es_Demand.html
post #191 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

When Circuit City offer free shipping for PS3 60GB, and many of their stores showing PS3 20GB in stock you know the shortages is way over.......this is very suprising so soon in the game.
post #192 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I am late to the party. Is the 60GB version the silver version or is this something different?
post #193 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Good article. He misses the point at the end though with the Gamecube - if Resident Evil suddenly sold a lot of Gamecubes - well thats not a fair comparison, given that the cost of the Gamecube is so darned low that someone might just buy a used or new one for a single game anyway.
post #194 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 AM

While reports of shortages make great news stories, you can't grow your market if you don't have a product to sell. And while people are wait for your product, your competitor is selling and growing his market.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #195 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrx View Post

Good article. He misses the point at the end though with the Gamecube - if Resident Evil suddenly sold a lot of Gamecubes - well thats not a fair comparison, given that the cost of the Gamecube is so darned low that someone might just buy a used or new one for a single game anyway.

Look at the chart in post #182. One game can make a huge difference; it doesn't matter the price of the console.
post #196 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
Just got back from Fry's in Irving, TX and they had 2 pallats over 6 feet high of PS3. The problem is you have to spend $819 to get one as they add 2 movies and warranty to the product. When they get rid of the stupid bundle requirement, i might consider getting one, but that 220 bucks is better spent on movies, in my opinion.
post #197 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerm View Post

Just got back from Fry's in Irving, TX and they had 2 pallats over 6 feet high of PS3. The problem is you have to spend $819 to get one as they add 2 movies and warranty to the product. When they get rid of the stupid bundle requirement, i might consider getting one, but that 220 bucks is better spent on movies, in my opinion.

I ran into the same thing at my Fry's in San Diego. They must be crazy. This was two weeks ago. I went straight to CC and picked up a 60g. Someone needs to tell Fry's that other places have the PS3 in stock. I am not spending 220 bucks on games that I didn't even want on my 360 six months ago.

VanillaHD
Simple. Clean. information about high definition
post #198 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Look at the chart in post #182. One game can make a huge difference; it doesn't matter the price of the console.

I believe the price of the console does matter. These will sell at $499-$599 to the early adopter (BD and videogame player) but for the average consumer I do not see it happening. It is way too much money for a videogame console.
post #199 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I believe the price of the console does matter. These will sell at $499-$599 to the early adopter (BD and videogame player) but for the average consumer I do not see it happening. It is way too much money for a videogame console.

Well, I guess we could gain insights into consumer price sensitivity if we had a breakdown of core vs premium 360 sales over the months of November and December. Until then it's hard to say. iPhone will start at $499 with a two-year contract; too much for the average person? I consider iPhone, 360, and PS3 to be targeting similar demographics; the money is certainly there to be spent among the 25-35 young professionals crowd, and that's a gaming generation.
post #200 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does. See post 194. People will possibly move to another consloe and then there is less a chance they will go for another one even with a hot game launch.

It's one thing to spring $100 for a Gamecube if a hot game comes out. Its another to pony up 5x that much if a hot game comes out. Plus the cables etc to really experience it.
post #201 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Got my PS3 last week by bestbuy.com on the internet. Then today at my local best buy in San Antonio, there were 3 (2 x 20 GB, 1 x 60 GB) in the brick and mortar store!

However you can't really declare the shortage over when they have not launched in Europe yet. Plus it needs to be over in the US by having many in every store and in plentiful supply, like the Xbox360 these days.
post #202 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I went to EB games and gamestop yesterday. They had been sitting in the stores for a few days after Xmas, but the employees said for some reason they are now selling quick. EB games had 8 the end of last week and none this week.
post #203 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I love it, gathering dust. How biased. Why don't they just say that all PS3's are recalled, no more games will be available and Sony is going out of business. The article reads like it wants the PS3 to fail.
post #204 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerm View Post

Wow. You meant 2 games are required, right?

My local BB got a shipment of 100 60GB versions yesterday morning. It was the first time I have seen any available. They were all gone when I checked this afternoon.

And the movie section looked like a tornado had gone through.

Gary

- Don't trust sigs
post #205 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I think PS3 sales are kicking in big time. I maybe biased and optimistic, but I think owners are going to be the best sellers and marketers of the PS3. When I have showed people what it can do and how it looks, they want one.
post #206 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I love it, gathering dust. How biased. Why don't they just say that all PS3's are recalled, no more games will be available and Sony is going out of business. The article reads like it wants the PS3 to fail.

How is that surprising. If I had bought the PS3 it probably would be collecting dust as we speak just for the fact that there are no games out for it at this point. I would still be on my 360 playing the latest games. Either spend $600 for a system that based on up until now events it collects dust. Or, wait for the games I actually want to get and save on warranty time and collecting dust bunnies. Sounds about right for me.

The 5.0 is here
post #207 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The smart people will wait for something worthwhile to be released on the PS3 or else they run the risk of it collecting dust like mine I have the disease that we all have though that I need to buy into new tech stuff when it is released.
post #208 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

cluephone, a fix is just that, a fix. Doesn't require purchasing a whole new unit like getting a 360 with HDMI requires... duh
and FYI, the PS3's 480P playback of SDdvds is just fine. If you have a good scaler in your display, (if you have a good display of course that is..) there's virtually no difference in PQ running 480P and say, letting your display upconvert to it's native res. Same exact thing an upconverting player does. Just does it in a different place along the way. I have an oppo dvd player that is very highly rated for upconversion and at 720P compared to 480P being upconverted by my PJ they are VERY close... I have a 2x1 HDMI switcher and switched back on forth on the same material (2 copies of a DVD...) in many places.

but what do I know. I actually own these things I'm talking about. Do you own a PS3? Do you know how the 480P looks through HDMI? And the 360 can't upconvert SDdvds over component anyways, only through VGA. Many people don't even have VGA inputs on their display. So for many, if you want either HDMI or upconverting of Sd you will need to buy the new 360. Like I said, if I had bought a 360 say last month instead of the PS3. (I went with the PS3 because the HDdvd releases have dried up) I would be a bit peeved. That's what I said about ME. I am allowed to think anyway I like. I didn't say, "Man, I bet all those early adopters are peeved." I said "I would be.." Got it...? Comprendo...?
If you aren't whoopiedoo.
If they released an upgraded Ps3 next year I might be peeved too. These next gen devices were suppossed to be "next gen" meaning they should not be replaced within a damn year.

Peeved about what. Where is all this coming from with some of you peeved that a system is updated. You act like this has never happened before in the world of electronics and for some reason you keep talking like everyone is getting a 360 or PS3 for movies. IT IS A GAME SYSTEM FIRST NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY AND SPIN THE ISSUE WITH VGA OR HDMI THE AVERAGE PUBLIC REALLY DOES NOT CARE AT THIS POINT AND IT SHOWS. Nobody needs to be pissed about any revision except maybe be pissed that the damn PS3 doesn't upconvert in the first damn place or have a scaler or somthing to fix the issue of resolution. But at the same time since a lot of average customers don't have an HD display this won't matter right now.

Think how you like sure but saying someone needs to be pissed about new versions that im sorry they did state both MS and Sony how their systems can be upgraded or revised because the technology gives them that flexibility. Mainly for MS it has been software sideo f things for Live in just 1 year. If you are using your system just for BD playback then what does it matter to you if there is a revision. It will still play your movies.

Have you or anyone not figured out about the HD-DVD add-on yet. You keep thinking that MS should have included the HD-DVD add-on or whatever setup besides what they currently have. Again all the downplaying still didn't stop it from being the best selling system this Xmas because it does 2 things right. I believe if there was no 360 add-on we would still see what we see now with the numbers. All this talk about PS3 owners that bought the PS3 just for BD playback but you don't here that about the 360 and the add-on. It is guranteed that games and movies if the add-on is purchased are being bought because it is a game console first HD-DVD playback second. I can choose to do what I want with this package anyway I like. I don't even own the add-on yet but I still have other options for HD like have for the last 6 years like HD Direct TV. Not everyones life is revolved around home theater for the average person. I love HD like the next person but I also have a job, I am currently deployed in Iraq and I am a single parent with 2 kids at home. But I have all these toys to play with when I have the free time to do it like nights and weekends for me. The average person is the same way and so is some of the people on this very forum. If MS didn't have the add-on I don't believe it would hurt them at this point. Alot of you like to make it sound like HDMI or HD sound is hurting MS and that simply is not true. You and others are not their primary target. It is the gamers first who see the system as a game system and multimedia second. It has both right out of the box but I have the option to setup anyway I like. It is smart to just have the options vs everything at once in my opinion to know if I have the time in my lifestyle to use it.

The 5.0 is here
post #209 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

The smart people will wait for something worthwhile to be released on the PS3 or else they run the risk of it collecting dust like mine I have the disease that we all have though that I need to buy into new tech stuff when it is released.

I have the disease too I have just been going through rehabilitation though. Seriously I would be clamoring for a PS3 now if it did what it is supposed to do at this point if online was further then it is at this point and have the games that I have to wait for later to get. If the PS3 came out first the rolls might bereversed I would be waiting on Halo 3 before I got the 360.

The 5.0 is here
post #210 of 231 Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

How is that surprising. If I had bought the PS3 it probably would be collecting dust as we speak just for the fact that there are no games out for it at this point. I would still be on my 360 playing the latest games. Either spend $600 for a system that based on up until now events it collects dust. Or, wait for the games I actually want to get and save on warranty time and collecting dust bunnies. Sounds about right for me.

So a lie, a completely erroneous statement saying they are collecting dust sounds right to you? You are saying this while not owning one which means although you can have an opinion, your opinion has no validity. You don't know, because you don't own one, you think, which you are entitled to do.

I can assure you even with the limited games, mine is not collecting dust. I have been renting PS3 games and playing R:FOM multi every nite as well as watching BD movies.
My PS2 and every other system is collecting dust too then.

I am self employed and have a lot of time off this time of year. Even with lots of free time, how much can I really spend between tv, movies, gaming and still get other things done.

Alot are assuming that if you don't use your system all day, or hours or everyday it is useless or collecting dust which is just BS.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page