YCbCr vs RGB? What's the difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my Blu-Ray video output options on the Playstation 3, it gives me these two options. What should I set my Playstation 3 to output? What's the difference?

Or should I set it to auto output? (3rd option)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

In most cases YCbCr would be the right option.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM

The possibility of HD vs crap....
post #4 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Will auto usually do the right thing? Or is it best to force it to YCBCr?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post

You could do a search and learn the technical differences. (RGB is certainly not crap) In an easy nutshell. YCbCr is a consumer video format and this is the way HD is encoded. RGB is the traditional computer format. One is not superior to the other because each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. YCbCr is preferred because it is the native format. However many displays (almost all DVI inputs) only except RGB. If your display is HDMI it will likely except YCbCr if not switch to RGB. Auto should use YCbCr whenever possible.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

Will auto usually do the right thing? Or is it best to force it to YCBCr?

AUTO will typically do the right thing, though it may fail for some displays that do not correctly implement the HDMI specification.

One of the nice things about DVI / HDMI is the ability for a fairly sophisticated exchange of information between the device sending the signal and the display about what modes it supports. Unfortunately not all displays provide accurate information about their own capabilities. Are there any EDID experts out there who know more about the limitations of the device description than I do? Are there reasons why a device might not accurately describe its preferred color space?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

YCbCr is preferred because it is the native format

Native to what?

Video sources produce RGB, which is then converted to component.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
YCbCr is the digital counterpart to analog YPbPr component video. (YCbCr converted to analog is YPbPr). Digital RGB converted to analog is usually referred to as VGA.

SD and HD DVDs are encoded in 8bit YCbCr 4:2:0. After/during decoding it's upsampled to YCbCr 4:2:2. If RGB output is required the YCbCr is upsampled again to 4:4:4 (sometimes done only once 4:2:0 -> 4:4:4) and a standard and simple transform converts to RGB 4:4:4. If done properly, you'll never notice the difference between the two. The advantage of YCbCr 4:2:2 is that it can be sent as 10bit (or 12bit) video via HDMI (all versions). RGB 4:4:4 is restricted to 8bit (except for the new deep color formats). However, if your display takes 8bit video and then upsamples to 10bit or higher for display, you may only need 8bit video. RGB is also the only format used with DVI (with a few exceptions).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

On my Sharp XD1E HDMI has options for Ycbcr 4 2 2 and Ycbcr 4 4 4.

Which should be selected for Blu-ray playback with PS3?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Either is fine.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd say leave it on auto if you don't care or switch between the two and use what you think looks better. On my HD CRT I picked RGB because the blacks are black rather than a dull grey. On the Sammy LCD my parents have I leave it on auto because it looks better than when you put it on RGB. So I think its entirely up to the display.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
post #12 of 13 Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Iknow that early Samsung DLPs were inherently RGB displays (don't know about the newer ones). My Sammy HL-P5063W is an RGB display even though it has an HDMI input (it also has a DVI input). Years ago when I had my set ISF calibrated I was only using the DVI input so, it was calibrated to a RGB signal. When I select YCbCr on my PS3 it totally throws off the calibration a little, especially in the greens. When I select RGB, everything comes back to the proper levels according to my calibration. Basically, I just bored you with all this to say it all depends on your display. I was lucky enough to have a very long extensive thread in the display devices forum about my TV were I was able to determine that my HLP was a RGB display. If you can't determine which signal is native to your display just go with what looks best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post

It's comments like this (and others like 1080p is the only real HD) that continually confuse the general public about HD and HDM. If you didn't know the difference, why bother posting? That comment doesn't help anyone especially since it is 100% wrong.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

I'd say leave it on auto if you don't care or switch between the two and use what you think looks better. On my HD CRT I picked RGB because the blacks are black rather than a dull grey. On the Sammy LCD my parents have I leave it on auto because it looks better than when you put it on RGB. So I think its entirely up to the display.

All PS3 games are always displayed in RGB regardless of settings.

The YCBCR setting is only for BD/DVD playback.

AUTO uses YCBCR, but you can also force YCBCR or RGB for Blu-ray playback.

When playing back Blu-ray's you can press the triangle button, select AV Settings, and it will allow you to switch RGB/YCBCR, and Superwhite/Full/Limited.

Apparently Superwhite gives you the deep blacks with YCBCR you see with RGB FULL.
Reply Blu-ray Players