5.1 Uncompressed & Optical Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not. I am new to blu-ray. I have an A-1. My receiver is a Denon 3805. The A-1 uses the analog ins and I don't have HDMI inputs on the receiver. I put in Stealth which has a 5.1 & a 5.1 uncompressed. The PS3 is set to bitstream.
With the 5.1 uncompressed chosen, the receiver shows up Pro-logix IIX.
With the 5.1 chosen, it shows un as Dolby Digital but with a very muted and compressed sounding soundstage. This is the first movie that I have run into with that problem. X3 sounds great. Is this normal? I am running firmware 1.32.
I will get a new receiver when it decodes the other formats.
Again, sorry if this isn't in the right forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can't get 5.1 uncompressed audio through optical out or coax. You must buy a new receiver with HDMI 1.1+ to experience the uncompressed audio from Blu-ray on the PS3.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have a Denon 3803 and my receiver will play the 5.1 uncompresed setting with the coax. The receiver will show Dolby PLII, they sound is extremely dynamic and better than DD. When I switch the receiver to the 5.1 analogs, it almost sounds the same as the uncompressed over coax w/ PLII.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

I have a Denon 3803 and my receiver will play the 5.1 uncompresed setting with the coax. The receiver will show Dolby PLII, they sound is extremely dynamic and better than DD. When I switch the receiver to the 5.1 analogs, it almost sounds the same as the uncompressed over coax w/ PLII.

Is it true that there are a handful of receivers than will accept multi-channel PCM over optical or digital coax. They are far and few between.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Didn't know that , I now feel lucky!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, but no.

Your receiver shows Dolby PrologicII because that is what it does for stereo sources. Through coax and optical, you can only get stereo output on LPCM tracks. Your receiver can apply Dolby Prologic IIx processing to create virtual 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround from that stereo signal, but it's not true discrete surround. It's the same type stereo signal you get on analog TV programs.

Quote:

Is it true that there are a handful of receivers than will accept multi-channel PCM over optical or digital coax.

No Blu-ray player outputs anything beyond stereo (2.0) LPCM over optical / coax.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle View Post

Is it true that there are a handful of receivers than will accept multi-channel PCM over optical or digital coax.

PCM data transmitted over S/PDIF (optical and coax) is always 2-channel, so no receivers can accept multi-channel PCM over those connections.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #8 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

PCM data transmitted over S/PDIF (optical and coax) is always 2-channel, so no receivers can accept multi-channel PCM over those connections.

Sanjay

You're right assuming the receiver only can accept one SPDIF input. There are receivers that will accept 2 or 3 SPDIF inputs to give 4 or 6 channel PCM. Don't ask me which ones because I have no idea but I do know it is possible.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle View Post

You're right assuming the receiver only can accept one SPDIF input. There are receivers that will accept 2 or 3 SPDIF inputs to give 4 or 6 channel PCM. Don't ask me which ones because I have no idea but I do know it is possible.

Even if that were true, which I am sure is not, then you would need to have a player that would have multiple optical outputs and capable of using all of these outputs preset for different channels simultaneously.
I think this is more of a wishful thinking than a fact, my friend. This is not a limitation of a Blu-Ray player, but limitation of the optical S/PDIF interface.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for the info. Mabye this is a question for the software part? Are there a lot of audio tracks of movies encoded in DD that sound that bad? The DD sounds worse than the standard definition disc I own.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Sorry, but no.

Your receiver shows Dolby PrologicII because that is what it does for stereo sources. Through coax and optical, you can only get stereo output on LPCM tracks. Your receiver can apply Dolby Prologic IIx processing to create virtual 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround from that stereo signal, but it's not true discrete surround. It's the same type stereo signal you get on analog TV programs.

No Blu-ray player outputs anything beyond stereo (2.0) LPCM over optical / coax.

Does anyone know what the bitrate of the 2.0 LPCM is being output from the PS3 over optical? My Pioneer Elite's dsp applied to the 2ch PCM sounds fantastic. The PS3 displays 4.6 Mbps, but I'm not sure if that is the actual bitrate coming into my receiver or just what's being read off the disc.

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #12 of 14 Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

Thanks for the info. Mabye this is a question for the software part? Are there a lot of audio tracks of movies encoded in DD that sound that bad? The DD sounds worse than the standard definition disc I own.

I've heard that the PS3 when set to bitstream and playing SD DVD applies DRC(dynamic range compression) to DD. With SD DVD's if you set the PS3 to PCM output, the PS3 does not apply DRC to DD tracks. Can anyone else confirm this?

post #13 of 14 Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The PS3 displays 4.6 Mbps, but I'm not sure if that is the actual bitrate coming into my receiver or just what's being read off the disc.

The PS3 only displays what is being read off disk. The 4.6 Mbps bitrate is what you get on a Blu-ray title with 16-bit, 48Khz LPCM.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The PS3 displays 4.6 Mbps, but I'm not sure if that is the actual bitrate coming into my receiver or just what's being read off the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The PS3 only displays what is being read off disk. The 4.6 Mbps bitrate is what you get on a Blu-ray title with 16-bit, 48Khz LPCM.

That's correct, but is the 2ch PCM that goes over optical still at 4.6 Mbps?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page