PS3 Blu-ray PQ problem through HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, well last week I finally got me a new 1080p set (Got the Samsung HL-S5087W) and got everything hooked up, gave my brother my old HDTV (4 year old CRT... so it wasn't a huge loss)... anyway, I had my PS3 hooked up using Component on my old HDTV, and the movies looked great at 1080I, but my new TV supported HDMI, so I moved to that, but after watching a few Blu-Rays I am not sure what the problem is... I have tried watching the movies I own and I seem to notice some strange noise on the screen as a whole, even on Kingdom of Heaven... it isn't THAT bad, but as I just spent 2 grand on the TV, I want the best I can get and I know this isn't it.

My question is... could this be an HDMI "handshaking" problem (or whatever)? I have the PS3 going directly to the TV, games look fine, but I think that might be because it isn't as obvious while playing a game as while watching a movie... would moving back to components fix this most likely? I realize using components would mean I would only get 1080i on Blu-ray movies, but wouldn't my set deinterlace to 1080p anyway?

After some searching on the forums I found some suggestions, but none of them seemed to remedy the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an HLS5087 but my PS3 is hooked up to my HLS5088. Have you pressed the info button on the Samsung remote to confirm what resolution is being received and displayed? If so, what is it?

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, and it showed 1920x1080@60Hz, which is 1080p, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunt View Post

Yeah, and it showed 1920x1080@60Hz, which is 1080p, correct?

That's right. What picture preset are you using - Dynamic, Standard or Movie?

And do you have any other HDMI/DVI source for comparison to see if you have a bad digital board in your HLS5087? If so, how does it look?

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have tried all 3 of those, and no, right now the only other sources are all analog, my PS3 is presently the only digital hookup I have. But like I said... I can't notice it during my games... maybe too much motion, but usually I notice it when there is a close-up of a person and the background is kind of stationary... the background just looks really bad and it didn't look like this at 1080i (my old CRT HDTV).

I don't mind using components, so long as my set will deinterlace from 1080i to 1080p, which it will right? Only problem is I will have to buy some new component cables for my PS3 since I gave my brother my old ones so he could use them with my old TV.

Oh well, thanks for the help... hopefully it is just an issue with something I am doing and nothing with my set or anything.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 AM

For what it's worth, I just got my PS3 hooked up to my Sony 50a2000 and I'm noticing a lot more noise in the movies I'm watching compared to my HD-A1. I put in Monster House first and I was really surprised at how "swimmy" the background seemed. I understand now that they put an artificial grain in the image to simulate film grain. When I first put it in, I was pretty surprised at how noisy it was, though. Sometimes I could see the actual pixels dancing and found it fairly distracting. I tried Click next and in some ways this one was worse. Just tons of noise.. maybe it's film grain.. but it's certainly not the smooth, highly detailed image I was looking for. What's weird is film grain has obviously been in some of the HD-DVD titles I've watched, it's just never been so pronounced or distracting.

I did give Stealth a go(was a free rental, no way I'd pay for that.. this is important to note).. and it's quite a bit better. Not near as much noise in the image and sometimes it looks really great. In a few of the dark scenes there is quite a bit of noise but that's to be expected.

My point being maybe what you are seeing is title dependent. I'm trying to get more of a sample before I come to any conclusions but so far I've been fairly disappointed. Especially with Click. I couldn't believe how noisy the image was.

Anyone know if Click is just exceptionally grainy or is there something wrong with my setup? I'm not sure what I could change..
post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone know if Click is just exceptionally grainy or is there something wrong with my setup? I'm not sure what I could change..

Click has a lot of grain, yes.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Well, welcome to the audiophile paradox, video-version...
If your system is too transparent and revealing, you can hear all the crap produced by the original recording sessions, equipment and the audio engineer mistakes. You can even see player limitations.

Once you get the same on a high-definition tv set, you can see all those problems that were there, but you never knew...

On another note, it seems that lots of HD-DVD titles have less noise, which might indicate either some specific filter with the VC-1 encoding process, or some pre-filtering on the master that Universal and Warner adopted to have more 3d-like results with less noise/grain. There are some pretty excelent BD releases that have lots of intentional grain, and only a handful that are free from that artifact...
Still, i would check your RGB/YCbCr settings on the PS3, and redo contrast/brightness/saturation for the HDMI output. If everything else fails, try the component cable.(which would indicate an issue with HDMI...)

Allan
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page