Closed Thread

post #91 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

If I saw a PS3 or stock of PS3's in a shop, I'd tell people in the PS3 forum first and second I'd buy one for ebay. Actually I'd stick it on Amazon marketplace where you could undercut prices and still make a great profit. Remember, in most parts of America the PS3 is very hard to find

Or not..you would end up paying ebay fees and not making anything. I dont know why people still have this impression they are hard to find, when they are sitting on retail shelves everywhere. I saw 5 at Target yesterday.

Its a $600 brick. Its not going anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It is the coolest brinck I've ever experienced, that is for sure! Can't wait to get one myself!

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #93 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp View Post

It is the coolest brinck I've ever experienced, that is for sure! Can't wait to get one myself!

The average consumer wont spend $600 on a videogame system for the widest majority of the year. Sales will continue to be slow. The people in this forum have a warped view of reality as they are enthusiasts, a small market segment who can justify that money to themselves.
post #94 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was at the Dublin (East Bay of Silicon Valley) BB and they had a bunch yesterday and I was also at Walmart and they have some too. Both were sold out of the Wii which is what I was looking for.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Yup. Still sold out in Silicon Valley.

post #95 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

As originally posted here regarding the disappointing Japanese sales of PS3:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...965#post9414965

Excerpts from a New York Times article today:

Analysts also said they had expected a slow start by PlayStation 3 in all major global markets, as production delays limited the number of machines available. But they and retailers said they have been surprised by just how tepid Japanese demand has been so far. They said the main reason consumers were shunning PlayStation 3 was its high price, twice as expensive as Wii.
post #96 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post

The current market analysis, and I think it's got weight is that MS will drop $100 before Christmas to put them closer to Wii and farther from PS3, and drop the Halo 3 bomb

Sony needs to drop $100 by then as well, and with the costs of the drives dropping all the time, they can probably make it. They'll be dropping Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, and a bunch of other franchises by then, so it'll definately be on on the software front

In addition, I think Sony (and MS to some degree) are in a good position to benefit from a pricedrop just on perception. A $100 drop in price would make the system seem like a "good value" when comparing to the original price. Whereas Nintendo doesn't have as much wiggle room. That said, Nintendo obviously is much closer to many buyers' "sweet spot".
post #97 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post

If I saw a PS3 or stock of PS3's in a shop, I'd tell people in the PS3 forum first and second I'd buy one for ebay. Actually I'd stick it on Amazon marketplace where you could undercut prices and still make a great profit. Remember, in most parts of America the PS3 is very hard to find

Be very careful about using Amazon Marketplace to sell a video gaming console. They are treated as a video game and carry a ridiculously high commision. I discovered that when I listed my son's old XBox after getting him an XBox 360.
post #98 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the PS3 is going to experience a boom within it's first year. As more and more people get HDTVs, and the games start to improve.. the PS3 will seem more attractive. But I think the Blu-ray drive is still going to end up being a major factor. Blu-ray is starting to get more commercials on HD channels, plenty of people with netflix and blockbuster online are renting them, and the word is going to get out. The PS3 is still the best deal as a $499 blue ray player, and if the price drops, it's going to be too tempting for people to resist.

I think the fact that both Blu-Ray and HD DVD have had slow starts among the general public have hindered Sony's sales. THere's hasn't been much buzz until now.. but it's starting. If Sony pushes blu-ray and PS3 well enough, they could benefit in the long run.
post #99 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post

I was at the Dublin (East Bay of Silicon Valley) BB and they had a bunch yesterday and I was also at Walmart and they have some too. Both were sold out of the Wii which is what I was looking for.

jcg

I really don't consider Dublin to be part of the Silicon Valley but yeah, stores in the great bay area like Dublin have been getting shipments. Sony has definitely put out more than many expected.

my friend was able to get the last one in San Carlos last night as well from the latest shipment.
post #100 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I'm encountering a problem.

I bought the last 20 gig PS3 yesterday from Target - noticed the seal had been open. Sure enough, the unit had clearly been used (fingerprints, scratches, plastic open, etc.)

I went to Walmart today to buy a 20 gig - they had two units. Both of the them had been opened! Yet, the 60 gig were sealed.

Any rate, I'm returning mine and waiting to buy a sealed, brand new unit.

This is frustrating because virtually no other stores have the 20 gig in stock.

post #101 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddavis View Post

In addition, I think Sony (and MS to some degree) are in a good position to benefit from a pricedrop just on perception. A $100 drop in price would make the system seem like a "good value" when comparing to the original price. Whereas Nintendo doesn't have as much wiggle room. That said, Nintendo obviously is much closer to many buyers' "sweet spot".

Actually the PS3 is a very good value for what you get......a Cell processor.....hidef capability in games and movies....blu-ray......wireless controllers.....etc.

Having said all that, it's still an expensive system for the casual player or watcher of movies.....a big leap in price which started with the Xbox360.

I agree with your other points that most folks are looking to spend between $100 - $200 at most for these systems and that is their comfort zone.

The Wii's main selling point is the interactive games.....swinging your controller around makes something happen on screen.....it's fascinating to kids......I know.....my son and all his friends want the Wii because of this.......they don't care about the hidef picture of PS3 or Xbox360.......I believe that is what is really selling this system. Kids want it.....parents buy.

At $250, the Wii is not cheap, but is more of an impulse buy than the PS3 or the Xbox360. You're wallet won't hurt as much. The other systems a big commitments to most folks except for ardent gamers. It doesn't surprise me in the least that PS3's are becoming more available as they ship more and they show up on shelves. The Christmas season is over.....bills are coming in.....the more expensive the sustem is the slower it is to move.

It's a very cool system though.
post #102 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wait - shouldn't be that long. And don't forget the wi-fi - makes setup virtually transparent (as long as you already are running a wireless router - duh.) There are enough of them around here, I would have to figure you could get yours in a relatively short time. Or, maybe wait a couple weeks, get the 20 gig from BB as "Open Box" for a break. Something I wouldn't be afraid of - having done it with many other pieces of gear there, over the years.

ot, but my only regret re BBs open box was not buying an HD-A1 for $320 last summer; now that I have the PS3, I can wait, but back then it was a decision I kicked myself over for a few weeks.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #103 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Liked: 14
What none of you seem to understand-is that because PS3s are sitting on shelves does not indicate it doing bad. You say that it has low demand because it is sitting there and since WIIs are sold out people must be buying more and more.

Well, those observations only show one thing. Who can manufacture the most. If Nintendo can only manufacture lets say 100,000 WIIs and people want 250,000 of them and Sony can manufacture 1,000,000 PS3s and people only want 500,000 of them then who is selling more and who is going to have them sitting on shelves? WIIs would show up on website trackers if nintendo was actually shipping them, but my tracker shows very sporadic shipments.

People loved the ps2 and they are waiting to see what games will come out with the PS3, once it gets some good games the WII will be a memory with its old school graphics. I dont care about the nunchuk or wii-mote it is a novelty. Games with regular controllers have and always will dominate, ever since the days of Atari.
post #104 of 104 Old 01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
please continue this on the gaming forums

Thanks
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page