PS3, Linux and HD-DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been researching which Bluray player to get and it's come down to a US PS3 I think, I live in the UK. Most of my current DVDs are region 1 and there are far more region A titles available at the moment. Oh and not forgetting the PS3 isn't out in the UK yet

Couple of questions...

1) Can someone tell me what the Bluray playback quality is like is it comparable to the standalone players? For info I should have a Pioneer 427XD soon.

2) Any opinions of SD-DVD playback through Linux on the PS3, for multiregion compatibilty?

Now a thought crossed my mind...will someone put together a Linux driver for the XBox360 HD-DVD? If they do you could plug it in the back of your PS3 and get the best of both worlds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belzok View Post

I have been researching which Bluray player to get and it's come down to a US PS3 I think, I live in the UK. Most of my current DVDs are region 1 and there are far more region A titles available at the moment. Oh and not forgetting the PS3 isn't out in the UK yet

Couple of questions...

1) Can someone tell me what the Bluray playback quality is like is it comparable to the standalone players? For info I should have a Pioneer 427XD soon.

2) Any opinions of SD-DVD playback through Linux on the PS3, for multiregion compatibilty?

Now a thought crossed my mind...will someone put together a Linux driver for the XBox360 HD-DVD? If they do you could plug it in the back of your PS3 and get the best of both worlds

1) People and reviews are saying that the PS3 is as good as the "affordable" standalone players in terms of video quality.

2) Sorry, don't have an answer for this one

About the HD DVD addon question;
No point getting a driver, since there is no HD DVD playback software for linux yet.
When this software comes out, you probably will be able to playback HD DVD on the PS3. Although i have read somewhere that the PS3 is slow on HD content playback in Yellow Dog Linux (please correct me if i'm wrong).
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM

It doesnt have direct access to the GPU and is limited to 256mb ram, is why it would be slow from what I've read.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Linux on PS3 is quite livable; the apps are slowish to boot, but run very quickly once booted.

As for media playback within Linux, I'd wait a while. The *real* solutions are going to be those that the community itself develops based around SPE useage.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that, pity the Linux playback isn't up to scratch otherwise Sony may have cornered the market.

Still leaves me with very few options, I have little patience when it comes to waiting for UK releases when US release are already available and in most cases have the same or better content with regard to extras and unrated versions.

May have to put some more thought into this
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page