Playstation 3 volume control for BD movies... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if its ok to adjust the ps3's volume control while watching a BD movie without a negative effect on the sound ? The reason I ask this is because I recently have watched 2 movies that seem to have much lower volume than others...The movies were "Training Day" and "Mission impossible 2". The ps3 is hooked up with hdmi for audio and video. Anyone else run into this issue yet?

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Volume is controlled on the receiver, not on PS3.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus View Post

Volume is controlled on the receiver, not on PS3.

Nope, not just on the receiver, I'll explain... you can boost the volume more on the ps3...kinda like a loudness setting. If you hit the triangle button during a movie etc.. you will see the speaker picture which is for volume...The default is "normal" but you can go up or down a couple lines from this. I have already tried it myself but am just not sure if this would be a good idea and wanted others input if they ran into some of these movies with low volume. I own the denon 3806 and with these movies I can almost crank it to its max setting which is not normal compared to the other movies I watched on blu-ray.

Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
probably works only on pcm or analog outs. Not for bitstream mode.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

Nope, not just on the receiver, I'll explain... you can boost the volume more on the ps3...kinda like a loudness setting. If you hit the triangle button during a movie etc.. you will see the speaker picture which is for volume...The default is "normal" but you can go up or down a couple lines from this. I have already tried it myself but am just not sure if this would be a good idea and wanted others input if they ran into some of these movies with low volume. I own the denon 3806 and with these movies I can almost crank it to its max setting which is not normal compared to the other movies I watched on blu-ray.

Brian

I don't have those two on BD but the other BD movies I have when the PCM track is used, I can't put my 3806 past -35 on the volume it's so loud. I would like a way to lower the volume so it's closer to the level of my other components.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't have those two on BD but the other BD movies I have when the PCM track is used, I can't put my 3806 past -35 on the volume it's so loud. I would like a way to lower the volume so it's closer to the level of my other components.

If I remember correctly, you can adjust volume up OR down two "notches" in the PS3 info screen when watching a BR movie. Not sure how many db that equals though.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

this is what im talking about...can you do this without a negative effect on sound quality with blu-ray movies and pcm?

aaronwt....wow, thats weird because -35 would be way too low for any of my components...my average is -10 but with some I can go to 0 depending on the movie etc.. Do you have your "input function level" set to high for your component?? You can adjust it for each component you have so you can have different volumes for different sources...just go into the "set-up" menu then go into the "audio input setup" and then the "input function level" and adjust as you wish.

Take care,
Brian
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

this is what im talking about...can you do this without a negative effect on sound quality with blu-ray movies and pcm?

aaronwt....wow, thats weird because -35 would be way too low for any of my components...my average is -10 but with some I can go to 0 depending on the movie etc.. Do you have your "input function level" set to high for your component?? You can adjust it for each component you have so you can have different volumes for different sources...just go into the "set-up" menu then go into the "audio input setup" and then the "input function level" and adjust as you wish.

I've been using this since I bought mine. I run mine at +1. It sounds much nicer than the defaulted 0.

+2 seemed way too loud.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

I've been using this since I bought mine. I run mine at +1. It sounds much nicer than the defaulted 0.

+2 seemed way too loud.

yea... thats what I thought too...I just wasnt sure if it was a good idea too use 2 different volume controls etc..

ps..Anyone that uses a denon 3806 know if it handles 7.1 pcm via HDMI???

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if its ok to adjust the ps3's volume control while watching a BD movie without a negative effect on the sound ? The reason I ask this is because I recently have watched 2 movies that seem to have much lower volume than others...The movies were "Training Day" and "Mission impossible 2". The ps3 is hooked up with hdmi for audio and video. Anyone else run into this issue yet?

Thanks,
Brian

I have the Denon 3806 and if you're playing Blu-ray movie simply bring up the menu while the movie is on, PS3 menu, and select the audio options and select "English 2". This will give you Linear PCM and not only does the volume increase but the sound is awsome. English 1 is simply Dolby 5.1.

Remember some BDs have better audo then others like Black Hawk Down, which is excellent.

Try it you'll be amazed.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

All the input function levels are at 0. None are in the positive but I never adjusted them. Thanks for reminding me about that. I will set the PS3 to a lower level to match everything else.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12 of 12 Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

I have the Denon 3806 and if you're playing Blu-ray movie simply bring up the menu while the movie is on, PS3 menu, and select the audio options and select "English 2". This will give you Linear PCM and not only does the volume increase but the sound is awsome. English 1 is simply Dolby 5.1.

Remember some BDs have better audo then others like Black Hawk Down, which is excellent.

Try it you'll be amazed.

Daz-man, that is how I have it setup, for LPCM...sorry should have said that more clearly but thanks for the reply. I too agree with you about the new uncompressed audio tracks..they make a night and day difference compared to standard dolby dig. and dts to me. I just wish that sony would hurry up with a firmware to decode dtsHD master! Oh yea, should have said this earlier too...the 2 movies I mentioned earlier that had low volume did not have the uncompressed audio tracks, they were standard dolby digital...though I have watched other movies on blu-ray that were standard DD and they sounded good...normal volume, sooo....I dont know...who knows.

If anyone does watch "training day" or "Mission Imp.2" let me know how the volume was to you.

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page