PS3 - How to set up IR control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry to start another PS3 thread, but this is important to many people and I don't think it is yet widely known that you can do this. Like many, Sony's annoying lack of an IR receiver on the PS3 was almost a deal breaker for me in getting a PS3 as a Blu Ray player. This is unfortunate as it sounds like the thing is a fantastic player, better future-proofed for featues than all the current stand-alone players, way cheaper and will have good resale value as well. I have a lot of effort set up in my Harmony 880 remote and IR distribution setup, and REALLY don't want to use the PS3 controller or even the bluetooth remote in addition to my current setup.

Some smart folks have figured out how to set up a few cheap relays with the old PS2 remote and a USB converter that solves the problem. I don't know if anyone will ever make a more elegant approach, but this is great for now and both parts can be had for very cheap on EBay. Here are two links to how it works:

http://www.remotecentral.com/article...ir-remote2.htm

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/24/c...ion-3-with-ir/

I hope this helps a few people out. For me, it's the last bit that made me decide to go with a PS3 as a Blu Ray player at least for now. If BD wins this war eventually, I'll replace it later with a high-end, full featured stand-alone player, but for now I think this is a great solution.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 605
The only bad thing about USB on the PS3 is that it has no USB ports on the back. You have to connect to the front which detracts from the look. They should have put at least one USB port on the back.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Damn, I didn't realize that. Haven't actually bought the player yet, just bought the parts on EBay. Oh well... Would have been nice to have the port on the back I agree.

Greg
post #4 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Can you turn the player on and off using that setup?

I am still beside myself on why the PS3 left out an IR port. Maybe harmony will come out with their own USB to IR solution or USB to RF.

I guess only using bluetooth really increased their PS3 remote sales. The Sony fanboys scream bluetooth is the best and the future and it allows better integration. To that I saw yeah right! The only remote that works is the Sony remote.
post #5 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Some company will come out with a do it all remote for RF and Bluetooth. The one thing I don't like about the PS3 is not being able to control the PS3 bd player with my main A/V controller...I had to buy the add on Sony PS3 remote for my wife to use the thing. Bad Sony!

Joe V.
post #6 of 50 Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 PM

I have the IR setup but I can not get my harmony to learn the direction buttons for some reason so it is useless for the moment. Even if I got that working I still have to turn the machine and navigate to the movie with the controller. Annoying. I think I will pick up the bluetooth controller and curse Sony's name everytime I see two remotes on my coffee table.
post #7 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, not such a perfect solution after all is it? Maybe my wife is right - she'd actually rather me spend $1000+ on a stand-alone Blu Ray player than put a second game console in our theater (I already have a 360). Problem is I want a player with all the features the PS3 has (networking, advanced audio, fast disc loading, HDMI 1.3) - probably have to wait for one of the Sony Gen 2 players. I wish we knew more about those, BTW...

Greg
post #8 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM

I've gotten this to work on my PS3 setup and let me tell you it was a pain in the *ss. The direction buttons will work but they need to be taught to your remote in "raw" form - at least that is how it worked on my Harmony 550. Also you cannot power up the unit using IR so it is not a complete fix. Good luck with IR on PS3.

-DD
post #9 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussander View Post

I have the IR setup but I can not get my harmony to learn the direction buttons for some reason so it is useless for the moment. Even if I got that working I still have to turn the machine and navigate to the movie with the controller. Annoying. I think I will pick up the bluetooth controller and curse Sony's name everytime I see two remotes on my coffee table.

I do the same thing! I want to punt the PS3 out the window having to use the special Sony remote. I wish I would of never bought it and just bought the Sony player. Anyone want a PS3 20GB at cost?
post #10 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle View Post

I do the same thing! I want to punt the PS3 out the window having to use the special Sony remote. I wish I would of never bought it and just bought the Sony player. Anyone want a PS3 20GB at cost?

lol, i understand the complaint but is having 2 remotes really that bad. Too each his own i guess, but it never has bothered me all that much. Needing a separate remote for each component would drive me nuts, but 2 isnt the end of the world.
post #11 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder View Post

lol, i understand the complaint but is having 2 remotes really that bad. Too each his own i guess, but it never has bothered me all that much. Needing a separate remote for each component would drive me nuts, but 2 isnt the end of the world.

No it's not that bad but the $400 universal remote laughs at me every time I pick up the PS3 remote.
post #12 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 06:37 PM

i really hope they come out with a solution better then this really soon. If they do soon ill be buying another ps3 i just hate hate having more then one control just like some people hate not having resume
post #13 of 50 Old 01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

To the OP, you are a true gentleman. I hate the damn PS3 play controller and I love my Harmony 880. I do not want multiple remotes. If you are a gamer you don't know what the fuss is about, if you are an AV enthusiast with 11 different components in the AV rack, you really don't want another remote.

Thank you again to the OP. It is clunky and temporary, but because you still have to stand up and put the disc in the player, you can turn the unit on at the same time. I will be trying this at home!
post #14 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi,

I use a $3 USB extention cable to reposition the ps2 to usb adapter on another shelf and this way ... the appearence of the front isn't lost. (There is already a USB cable there running up to the next shelf for charging the PS3 controller.

If you turn the PS3 on and off at the console instead of the by remote then not haveing power buttons isn't an issue.

If you boot the PS3 by putting in a movie when the PS3 is off it will boot into the movie player directly where IR will work.

When I want to watch a blu ray I just put in in the ps3 and it boots right to the blu ray and I can control it with my Harmony 659. When I'm done I eject the disc and press the power off button while I'm there (taking the disc out.)

I didn't have this trouble with the arrow keys but then I didn't use an original PS2 remote (I would have likely if I knew where to get one at the time.) The PS2 remote I bought was from intec and the IR codes must be different. It was $4.99 at FYE and my Harmony 659 learned all the codes quickly and easily.

I sort of liked using the blue tooth controller but would often accidentally push the front buttons which are very sensitive,.. So I had to go back to get the IR working and I'm glad I did because I prefer to use my Harmony for movie watching.

-Brian
post #15 of 50 Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM

I would also like to thank the OP I have a Harmony 720 remote and of course had to purchase the Sony PS3 remote.
I found the USB adaptor at Radio Shack for $12.00 it is very small and the cable is only about 3 " long (probably have to get an extender) the PS2 remote took several phone calls all over the city I finally found a used one at Game Stop with the IR sensor for $5.00.
I also had to learn the direction arrow commands in the RAW format and the remote I bought had the fast forward and rewind buttons the opposite of the Remote Control Central info.
All is working great, now just another reason to confirm the PS3 is the best Blu-ray player available.
post #16 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Liked: 15
fyi, while those that already have one will hate the news.

logitech/harmony is working on a remote for the ps3.
post #17 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

We all knew this had to happen...so what do we do with our $100-$200 Harmony remotes sell them on Ebay. I wish Sony would of thought of the consumer on this one.

Joe V.
post #18 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'll be happy to buy the harmony remote that controls PS3.

(Just not anytime soon because I can't stop buying Blu Ray movies long enough to put any money aside.)

I've been so happy with my Harmony 659, I'm sure a new Harmony remote that includes good support for ps3 will be great.

-Brian
post #19 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

I am very interested if this is true. Do you have any sources?
post #20 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 12:32 PM

sony should get rid of the useless flash drive and replace it with ir
post #21 of 50 Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to use TCP/IP commands on the PS3? It has built a built in network card, which would give us two way communication and it could be easily integrated into control systems.

- Stephan
post #22 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 AM

How do you get the "raw" commands into the Harmony? I read online how to do it, but it seemed you had to make a fake source for EACH button you wanted to add because if you programmed a raw command it would blow away all the other learned commands. Where did you get the raw command values from?
post #23 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

We all knew this had to happen...so what do we do with our $100-$200 Harmony remotes sell them on Ebay. I wish Sony would of thought of the consumer on this one.

Sony absolutely does think about the consumer in their every move. About how to extract mucho more $$ from the consumer, that is.
post #24 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Wait a sec, I can't simply use the Sony PS3 remote to program my universal remote? Are you serious? WTF??? Is this what everyone is saying?
post #25 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctakim View Post

Sony absolutely does think about the consumer in their every move. About how to extract mucho more $$ from the consumer, that is.

Yep...picked up the $25 BD remote for the wife...it never ends does it.

Joe V.
post #26 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Dealbreaker. Honestly what a bunch of dumb*ucks. I guess I won't be getting into BluRay then.
post #27 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader View Post

Wait a sec, I can't simply use the Sony PS3 remote to program my universal remote? Are you serious? WTF??? Is this what everyone is saying?

You are correct sir, the PS3 uses Blue Tooth technology which is incompatible with your IR universal remote.
post #28 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I threw my fit and ordered a PS2 remote off of Ebay. But honestly, if I didn't want the bluray movies so bad I wouldn't be dealing with this at all. Rediculous. The PS3 better release angels when I open the box.
post #29 of 50 Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsearles View Post

I hope this helps a few people out. For me, it's the last bit that made me decide to go with a PS3 as a Blu Ray player at least for now. If BD wins this war eventually, I'll replace it later with a high-end, full featured stand-alone player, but for now I think this is a great solution.

Greg

So please help a dummy out....

I use this set up to THEN attach a flasher on the face so to add it to my Universal Remote? Thanks.
post #30 of 50 Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 PM

It's funny lots of folks in this forum think the people with great PQ tubes are little behind in terms of technology, but when someone actually dared & implemented new technology, you resist because it does not work with current setup/technology....

IR has been around for more than 50years...
RF remote has been around but never got popular because they couldn't standadize.
PS3 is leading the way for Bluetooth remote...

With Bluetooth, it opens up more possiblities, say how about make remote work with bluetooth earplug & have it accept voice command...it will be stupid watching TV with thing on it though...

IF IF IF IF

Sony had regular IR port & sold Bluetooth Controlled Remote as an seperation option,
most of you will be here in this forum praising How GREAT bluetooth remote is...

Entropy.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page