Quest. for BR and 65" CRT RPTV owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
skoolpsyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Juniper Hills, CA, USA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a Tosh that's been calibrated (though years ago). I was wondering how noticible was the improvement on your sets?
I've read that you need a larger screen to see more dramatic differences and I assume 65" is big enough for this.

But also, I know that even calibrated I won't be able to resolve near the info the BluRay is capable of. I can barely tell the difference between my HD tivo and a good dvd. But that could definately be because I'm a DirecTv user and their lack of quality is quite evident on my set.

what has been your experience and what can I expect?

I am planning on a PS3, but don't know if I should wait unitl I get a new set, which could be year since what I want doesn't exist yet!
(I'm hoping Sony puts out a 80" sxrd)
skoolpsyk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

I have a Tosh that's been calibrated (though years ago). I was wondering how noticible was the improvement on your sets?
I've read that you need a larger screen to see more dramatic differences and I assume 65" is big enough for this.

But also, I know that even calibrated I won't be able to resolve near the info the BluRay is capable of. I can barely tell the difference between my HD tivo and a good dvd. But that could definately be because I'm a DirecTv user and their lack of quality is quite evident on my set.

what has been your experience and what can I expect?

I am planning on a PS3, but don't know if I should wait unitl I get a new set, which could be year since what I want doesn't exist yet!
(I'm hoping Sony puts out a 80" sxrd)

You don't need a new set if your set is 1080i and has the Toshiba Colorstream inputs. Do you have digital convergence on your set? Your picture will be fantastic just using an Avia or Video Essentials disc to calibrate.
fa8362 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
skoolpsyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Juniper Hills, CA, USA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm quite happy with the picture now and am in no rush to get a new set (can't afford it for one thing!). Just wondering from other owners of older 65" crt sets if they were blown away by the differences between BluRay and SD dvd or if it was a mild improvement but worth it. (and hopefully I won't hear that it was only a mild difference and not worth it!)
skoolpsyk is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

I'm quite happy with the picture now and am in no rush to get a new set (can't afford it for one thing!). Just wondering from other owners of older 65" crt sets if they were blown away by the differences between BluRay and SD dvd or if it was a mild improvement but worth it. (and hopefully I won't hear that it was only a mild difference and not worth it!)

Perception is relative. Certainly 1080i is quite noticeably different from 480p unless your viewing distance is larger than average and/or your vision is worse than average. Blown away? I don't personally use language like that to describe my visual or aural reactions to anything. Worth it? In my opinion, certainly, but value is relative, so I can't really tell you how you would react.
fa8362 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
skoolpsyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Juniper Hills, CA, USA
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw the Casino Royal preview on BluRay displayed on a 70" sxrd xbr2. I was blown away!

so subjectively what improvement did you notice most on your 65" crt rptv when you got bluray?

(ie, color depth, background details, lack of artifacts, more 3d quality, etc.)

I saw improvements in all of these on the sxrd...
skoolpsyk is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
fa8362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post

I saw the Casino Royal preview on BluRay displayed on a 70" sxrd xbr2. I was blown away!

so subjectively what improvement did you notice most on your 65" crt rptv when you got bluray?

(ie, color depth, background details, lack of artifacts, more 3d quality, etc.)

I saw improvements in all of these on the sxrd...

I primarily noticed an increase in sharpness. Some stuff definitely looks more 3d. Overall, I'd say that Blu-ray and D-theatre just look more like projected film in a good theatre. Note, however, that well mastered DVD still looks terrific on my CRT displays (Toshiba rear and Sony front projection) and I rarely see significant artifacts. Poorly mastered DVDs don't look so hot though.
fa8362 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 57" Tosh CRT, and the difference is very noticeable. I have my set recalibrated regularly, and I do 56-point convergence on it at least once a month.

As long as your display is in good shape you should definitely reap the benefits of BD.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVD Profiler
bunkaroo is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
heavyharmonies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OP: Is your Tosh a 16:9 set or one of the 1st-generation 4:3 HDTVs?

My first HDTV was a 55" 4:3 Toshiba (TN55X81). It was decent, but when I upgraded to my 65" Mitsubishi WS65613, it was a MAJOR step up in quality.

My 65" CRT RPTV has been ISF calibrated, and the difference in HD-DVD and BR (I have both) versus DVD is stark. WELL worth investing in HD disc technology.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
heavyharmonies is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I have a 57" Sony CRT RPTV which is two years old; it's been very well calibrated and ISF'd (and cleaned internally). It appears my set is resolving 1080X1400 lines (according to my calibrator). DVD is only 720X480....so you can do the math as see how much more resolution I am getting even though my set doesn't do full 1080X1920. The difference between Blu-ray/HD DVD and SD DVD is dramatic (even when playing SD DVD on a Denon 2930 which uses the Reon chipset). Yes, DVD can look very good, but HD just takes it to a whole new level. CRT RPTV do take some more work to look optimal and I think this is where many owners have fallen short. The way my set looks today, I would take it over an SXRD.

DavidHir is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Forceflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I have a 57" Sony CRT RPTV which is two years old; it's been very well calibrated and ISF'd (and cleaned internally). It appears my set is resolving 1080X1400 lines (according to my calibrator). DVD is only 720X480....so you can do the math as see how much more resolution I am getting even though my set doesn't do full 1080X1920. The difference between Blu-ray/HD DVD and SD DVD is dramatic (even when playing SD DVD on a Denon 2930 which uses the Reon chipset). Yes, DVD can look very good, but HD just takes it to a whole new level. CRT RPTV do take some more work to look optimal and I think this is where many owners have fallen short. The way my set looks today, I would take it over an SXRD.

I have a 50" Toshiba 1080i CRT RPTV and HD DVD and Blu Ray look far superior to DVD, even really nice upconverting titles. Its certainly worth it to get HD movies over SD movies. The bad thing about the newer Tosh's were the 540p/1080i native resolution that wasn't present in the 80 and earlier models (480p/1080i dual display). With upconversion and HD DVD/BDs you'll get much crisper images @ 1080i than the 480->540p.

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
Forceflow is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off