post #1 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this further proof of the PS3's slow sales:

http://www.playstatic.com/news/259

EB Games and Gamestop is giving $100 off the purchase of a PS3 if you trade in your PS2 at purchase (and a 2nd controller, and a memory card). I think the normal price is about $60 in trade for all this.

Isn't it odd that retailers are already having to offer discount incentives to get PS3 inventories moving? Isn't this supposed to be a hot item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess Xbox 360 isn't selling well either, then:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=117250

Makes getting a PS3 very tempting for me.
post #3 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, I guess proportionally, 360 must be selling even worse then! I mean, we're talking a 25%-33% discount on the 360 vs a 17%-20% discount on the PS3.

(Back to the drawing board wnorris!)
post #4 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

Well, the 360 has been out for a full year, not a month and a half. From what I can find on other MB, the Xbox deal also is just for the Xbox and 1 controller. In addition to $100 off, they also throw in a copy of Gears of War.
post #5 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Is this further proof of the PS3's slow sales:

http://www.playstatic.com/news/259

EB Games and Gamestop is giving $100 off the purchase of a PS3 if you trade in your PS2 at purchase. I think the noraml price is about $60 in trade for a PS2.

Isn't it odd that retailers are already having to offer discount incentives to get PS3 inventories moving? Isn't this supposed to be a hot item?

If you quote Sony it is.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...1833.15034.htm

Quote:

GI: Are you surprised that Microsoft has met their sales numbers of 10 million? What do you think of the early acceptance of Wii and their sales?

Dille: I'm not sure if they had gone to 10 million or if they had announced that they had. I know a lot of people were wondering if they would ever get there. I think initially, they're bravado speech was: We're going to get to 10 million before they ship. And then it was: We're going to get to 10 million by the time the year is over. I haven't seen a new announcement from them, but what we do pay attention to is that month in, month out, the PlayStation 2 continues to outsell Xbox 360. I think you see the consumers voting with their wallets on the PlayStation brand. But also, if people want to go out and buy a 360, their stacked pretty high at retail and yet, six-year-old technology is outselling it. I also think there's another trend going on. Every Sunday in the paper, there's a new deal with a free controller or a free game or $100 off all discounting the 360. I don't think you take those measures if you're selling as expected.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #6 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

For being 2 months into launch and have to motivate buyers with these kind of deals sure is sad. MS sure didn't have to do this 2 months into their launch.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #7 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Oh man, I guess proportionally, 360 must be selling even worse then! I mean, we're talking a 25%-33% discount on the 360 vs a 17%-20% discount on the PS3.

(Back to the drawing board wnorris!)

So you admit that they are needing to discount the PS3 less than two months in?
post #8 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

People, this has nothing to do with 'slow sales' for these new systems. C'mon, don't you guys understand the industry?

This has everything to do rather with collecting some used systems. EB Games resells these things for *well* over the credit they're giving you towards the new purchase. Why would EBGames not want to give you credit for a PS3 if it ends up netting them a greater amount? Hell - they were pushing something similar when they were taking pre-orders for the damn thing.

And they're throwing in Gears of War for the 360? So with a core system we're talking about 33% off, and a free $60 game. I mean, I'm certainly not going to bother saying that 360 (and Gears of War) demand has fallen through the floor, but I swear to you with the conclusions being drawn here, if I did it would certainly be in the vein.

(A 'supposedly' blockbuster game that's been out for two months, thrown in for free along with a $100 credit?)

Yeah - but I don't. Because I understand that EB's not now, and not ever, doing anything that's not squarely going to make them more money than the alternative.
post #9 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

For being 2 months into launch and have to motivate buyers with these kind of deals sure is sad. MS sure didn't have to do this 2 months into their launch.

I think it also says something about the inventories of PS3's that EB has stockpiled now. If the system was even coming close to selling out shipments, these discounting measures wouldn't be in place.

I guess it does tell us that the PS3 has fixed its supply problem.
post #10 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

Thanks for the info...that a great deal.

Joe V.
post #11 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM

I see 60 gigers all the time. It's the darn 20 gig that I can't find!
post #12 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it also says something about the inventories of PS3's that EB has stockpiled now. If the system was even coming close to selling out shipments, these discounting measures wouldn't be in place.

And... why wouldn't they be? This "discount" nets EB more money; low demand, high demand - they would do it all the same.
post #13 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People, this has nothing to do with 'slow sales' for these new systems. C'mon, don't you guys understand the industry?

This has everything to do rather with collecting some used systems. EB Games resells these things for *well* over the credit they're giving you towards the new purchase. Why would EBGames not want to give you credit for a PS3 if it ends up netting them a greater amount? Hell - they were pushing something similar when they were taking pre-orders for the damn thing.

They are giving $100 credit for a used PS2, controller, memory card (sells for $90, $10, and $5). So they are giving you $100 credit for something they sell for for $105. If that is your idea of "well" over credit, I'm glad you aren't my financial manager. It is "well" over when they pay $60, but it is almost cost @ $100 (they actually loose because any bum card, controller, or PS3 they receive nets them a loss when it is returned; which is their reasoning for buying at $60 in the first place). Basically EB is giving up all their profit in a used PS2 + accessories to try to get you to buy a PS3.
post #14 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

In the nutshell...PS3's are collecting dust...they are to expensive for many young gamers. I am starting to think Sony might be in trouble. Everyone that I talk to in the retail business tells me the same thing they cost to much and gamers don't care about BD. We meaning us on this forum are the minority...we buy everything. I personally love my PS3 for BD but feel the PS3 might be in big trouble...which in turn means Sony may have messed up.

Joe V.
post #15 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are giving $100 credit for a used PS2, controller, memory card (sells for $90, $10, and $5). So they are giving you $100 credit for something they sell for for $105. If that is your idea of "well" over credit, I'm glad you aren't my financial manager.

Uh, have you ever been in an EBGames? Those used items are going to cost you more than that...

And with XBox, let's do the math:

One XBox, one controller. I'll give a more realistic $110 and $20.

So for $130, they're giving you $160 worth of stuff, straight up. And one of those free things, is probably something you would have paid the full $60 for anyway if enticed into the system otherwise; their #1 top-selling game. You tell me wnorris, desperate? I mean I don't think so, but with your worldview I don't see how you could reach a different conclusion...
post #16 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twehttam View Post

Thats because of the $100 difference...the 60Gb is to costly for the average consumer...plus Sony loses more money on the 20gb than the 60gb meaning they will ship more 60's over the 20's.

Joe V.
post #17 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I went into my local Wal-Mart today and they had so many 60gb PS3's they had filled the PS3 section, half of the X360 section and ALL of the Wii section. I have no idea how the competitors are selling, but PS3's aren't going anywhere fast. I have never even seen a Wii on the shelves and I didn't see a premium 360 on the shelf in January of last year either (same point in sales cycle as PS3 is in now).
post #18 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Sold out at Amazon... still. Can't be doing too poorly.
post #19 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

In stock at CC BB Target Walmart Gamestop in the Chicago area...it's a shame the PS3 is a great little unit...and only to get better. Sony just priced it out of the market.

Joe V.
post #20 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Most people, when trading in their old console, also trade in their games. The store makes a hefty profit off of those. They also tend to buy new games, which the store will also profit on.

It also stirs up interest, gets potential customers into their stores instead of Walmart, and can reignite the gamer spark in those who had an old console but stopped playing.

Format Apathetic
post #21 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very good point. If the PS3 was indeed selling as well as they had hoped, there would be no need at all for this. Perhaps Gabe Newell (from Valve) was correct is calling the PS3 a "disaster." Sony needs to do something drastic, including a major price reduction. I'm willing to bet that with all the negative press and reviews it has received already, the European launch will be abysmal -- unless Sony is willing to take an even deeper loss.

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a 'do over'. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it'. The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing." -- Gabe Newell, Co-founder and Managing Director of Valve Corporation.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #22 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:

The game stores here have done it for every console except the PSP, at launch, prior to launch, and post launch.

Format Apathetic
post #23 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, have you ever been in an EBGames? Those used items are going to cost you more than that...

And with XBox, let's do the math:

One XBox, one controller. I'll give a more realistic $110 and $20.

So for $130, they're giving you $160 worth of stuff, straight up. And one of those free things, is probably something you would have paid the full $60 for anyway if enticed into the system otherwise; their #1 top-selling game. You tell me wnorris, desperate? I mean I don't think so, but with your worldview I don't see how you could reach a different conclusion...

Yes I was EB Games this Saturday. A used PS2 was $89.95, an extra Sony brand controller was $9.99, and memory cards were $4.99-$14.99 depending on brand/capacity. Have you been to an EB Games?
post #24 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I was EB Games this Saturday. A used PS2 was $89.95, an extra Sony brand controller was $9.99, and memory cards were $4.99-$14.99 depending on brand/capacity. Have you been to an EB Games?

http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?Nt...=0&find=Search

What can I say, those controllers sell for $20 used on their website. Seemed right to me, but if it's $10 in the store it's $10; who knows location to location.

It doesn't change the basic premise I addressed though; this is a natural fit to their business model that takes place across most every console independent of system demand.
post #25 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The PS 3 hype has worn thin..
PS 3s' are now in-stock in many places, next the price will drop at least $100..
post #26 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is games. There's not much out there. Most of the games are scheduled for release in March. That's when we should see a huge boost.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #27 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twehttam View Post

Wow, considering that Sony allocate 70% or 80% of their production cap to the 60GB version this is not good news at all. Sony need to release alot more exclusive games to help increase the demand of their console.....
post #28 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

The problem is games. There's not much out there. Most of the games are scheduled for release in March. That's when we should see a huge boost.

Its that combined with the price compared to the 360. the stock issue has been over since before xmas and it didnt matter. It was very wierd though today I needed to drop by best buy and there were 6 people around the 360 and none around the ps3 (when the ps3 launched everybody was next to the ps3 and nobody was on the 360 but today was the opposite). And my local bb had a stack of 30 ps3 consoles sitting right by the door as you came in and another stack of 360's in the gaming section but as I was leaving I saw 2 people in the checkout lines with 360's and nobody even looking at the ps3 or in line with one. I think the sticker shock is getting most people.

I love my 360 and am looking at the ps3 (after a few price drops and if bd eventually wins out over hd-dvd) but I always thought the ps3 would eventually beat out the 360 but the margin wouldnt be what it was for the ps2 (a 40ps3-30ms-30wii split was my initial guess) but today is the first time I seriously though the ps3 might not win this generation (and thats a big thing in my mind).
post #29 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Hopefully this is true...there is so much potential for this little powerhouse...but I still think Sony needs a price cut and to distribute more 20GBers.

Joe V.
post #30 of 371 Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

I went into my local Wal-Mart today and they had so many 60gb PS3's they had filled the PS3 section, half of the X360 section and ALL of the Wii section. I have no idea how the competitors are selling, but PS3's aren't going anywhere fast. I have never even seen a Wii on the shelves and I didn't see a premium 360 on the shelf in January of last year either (same point in sales cycle as PS3 is in now).

last year the 360 had more junk consoles than good ones. thats why they had a shortage, replacing bad ones. sony has production running great and no problems at all. the 360 still is having big console failures. sony is able to put them on the shelfs quick. best buy, walmarts they all sell out then get more in. as for gamestop you can get more than a hundre for what you trade infrom ebay/its no big deal. they always give trade in.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page