AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMP-BD10 - 1.4 firmware...

26K views 231 replies 71 participants last post by  alfbinet 
#1 ·
#27 ·
Alan, pm me and I'll upload it for you to get if you keep having problems.

No Bland, I can't get HDMI audio into my Arcam. it was the analog (i.e. SW) out that wasn't outputting anything. And I mean anything. Tier 2 (or 3, I don't remember) customer support concluded it was a hardware problem, which I'd guessed too, as the circuit was just not "turning on". Anyways, I didn't send it in for repairs last week because I have guests in town and a Blu Ray player with optical sound is better than none; imagine my suprise tonight when I did nothing but laod the new firmware and suddenly there was SW output through the analogs.

#31 ·
Just downloaded it. File size: 21,158,963 bytes compressed

After decompression file size: 33,237,848 bytes bytes. But windows explorer is showing the following date: 16 Dec 2005 !!.

If I look at the file properties I get: created date Thursday, 28 December 2006

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroV /forum/post/0

Just downloaded it. File size: 21,158,963 bytes compressed

After decompression file size: 33,237,848 bytes bytes. But windows explorer is showing the following date: 16 Dec 2005 !!.

If I look at the file properties I get: created date Thursday, 28 December 2006

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I noticed that too, but I think its normal.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD /forum/post/0

I noticed the the color space is 422. I could be wrong, but I think it was 444 prior to the upgrade.

sspears hinted before that not passing BTB could be introduced by the HDMI transmitter chip when it uses 444. Changing the color space from 444 to 422 to address the BTB issue makes some sort of sense.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio /forum/post/0

sspears hinted before that not passing BTB could be introduced by the HDMI transmitter chip when it uses 444. Changing the color space from 444 to 422 to address the BTB issue makes some sort of sense.

Yes I verified this using my CII.

We are now with 422 color space and prior was 444.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio /forum/post/0

4:4:4 wasn't the issue. The issue was the HDMI transmitter chip was doing the conversion to 4:4:4 incorrectly so head and toe room where clipped. Evidently that has been resolved. I don't have a unit here to test but I hope to shortly. I wonder if the player is just passing the 4:2:2 signal along or if the National Semiconducter chip is doing the colorspace conversion now.

Also, I would like to see if the CUE issue that the last firmware screwed up has been fixed.

#38 ·
OK, I hate to admit it but I am a little ignorant when it comes to the audio side of my home theater.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a Blu-Ray player, and am looking very closely at the DMP-BD10. I have a one-year-old Outlaw 990 preamp/processor that I REALLY don't want to replace.

What I want to know is this:
  • Is it true that there is a forthcoming April 2007 firmware update that will add Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio support to the DMP-BD10?
  • If so, does anyone know for sure whether the DMP-BD10 will decode these formats to multichannel PCM (I understand this is necessary for HDMI 1.1 compatibility)?
  • Will the DMP-BD10 send Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to my preamp over a 7.1 analog connection? (The Outlaw does not have HDMI support... I asked the HDMI question only for future compatibility purposes.)

I'm down to choosing between the Pioneer Elite and this device. If all three questions above are answered "Yes!" (but especially the first and third questions), I'll probably buy the Panasonic. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, never mind about the Elite... only 5.1 analog outputs. So now it's either the DMP-BD10 or wait for a BD player that does TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over a 7.1 analog connection. (I can't believe a $1,500 player like the Elite only has 5.1 analog outputs. Incredible.)

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gammans /forum/post/0

EDIT: Whoops, never mind about the Elite... only 5.1 analog outputs. So now it's either the DMP-BD10 or wait for a BD player that does TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over a 7.1 analog connection. (I can't believe a $1,500 player like the Elite only has 5.1 analog outputs. Incredible.)

The Panasonic will have TrueHD and DTS MA in March or April according to Panasonic. As far as I know, the Panasonic is the only player with 7.1 analog outs. I have tested the Panasonic with The Descent, which has 7.1 outputs and I get all 8 channels with either HDMI PCM or with the analog outs to my Denon 4806ci AVR.

Will TrueHD and DTSMA output 8 channels via analogs? Probably. Most likely. But won't know for sure until the update occurs.

#40 ·
Hi Frank, thanks for responding. I believe you're correct about the Panasonic being the only BD player with 7.1 analog outputs... I did some double-checking while waiting for a reply and couldn't find any other BD player with this feature. Still can't believe the top-of-the-line Pioneer Elite doesn't have eight analog jacks.

(BTW, I thought The Descent only had 6.1 channels on its PCM track...?)

I am right, though, that the only way I'm going to be able to experience TrueHD or DTS-HD with my HDMI-less preamp/pro is to get a BD player that will decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and send the PCM to the pre/pro over analog RCA cables... yes???

#41 ·

Quote:

Hi Frank, thanks for responding. I believe you're correct about the Panasonic being the only BD player with 7.1 analog outputs... I did some double-checking while waiting for a reply and couldn't find any other BD player with this feature. Still can't believe the top-of-the-line Pioneer Elite doesn't have eight analog jacks.

(BTW, I thought The Descent only had 6.1 channels on its PCM track...?)

I am right, though, that the only way I'm going to be able to experience TrueHD or DTS-HD with my HDMI-less preamp/pro is to get a BD player that will decode TrueHD/DTS-HD and send the PCM to the pre/pro over analog RCA cables... yes???

The Descent actually has a 7.1 track. The two backs are duplicated, so it's really 6.1 distinct tracks, but my Denon reports it as 7.1 as there are actually 7.1 channels.

Yes, with an AVR without HDMI, you would need a BD player with 7.1 analogs. I believe I've read that the players with 5.1 analog outs would probably combine the back channels (if the disk decodes that way) with the side channels.

At the time I decided on the Panasonic, my AVR was a Denon 5800. It had 7.1 analog ins, but no HDMI. I wanted a BD player that would allow me to use those 7.1 analog output to their fullest extent. I then upgraded to a Denon 4806 with HDMI, so the 7.1 analog outs on the BD player isn't important to me now, but I still like the Panasonic as a BD player and have intention of switching to any other BD player.

#42 ·
The answers to your questions are all yes; the decoded audio will be sent out the analogs, and is indeed the only way to utilize hidef audio in an hdmi-less preamp. I'm in the saem boat you are (with an Arcam AVR-300) which is a bug reason why I went with the Panasonic. Also, I'm very impressed with their customer support thus far (hint, if you can't get ahold of a tech who can solve your problem on the first try, email your problem and case number to their tech email, you'll get called back quickly).

Also, I'm very impressed at this rapid and not preannounced firmware update. This is about as fast as I got my first Toshiba firmware update for the A1, and it was easy to install and provides a PQ improvement (and it was already fantastic!). This, to me, shows their support for the product, and gives me complete confidence that we'll see the DTS-MA and trueHD decoding update come spring.

#43 ·
Thanks... it's nice to hear a vote of confidence like this.

One last question: Yes, Panasonic has announced that there will soon be a firmware update for TrueHD support... but did they say how many channels? I know that there are BD players that only offer stereo TrueHD--any chance that the DMP-BD10's upcoming TrueHD support will only be 2-channel? Or have they already publicly committed to 5.1 or 7.1 channel support?

#44 ·
Downloaded and updated without a hitch.

I noticed a significant improvement when upconverting SDDVD's. Most of te artifiacting is gone and it is not quite as soft.

Great firmware update.

S~

#46 ·

Quote:

Thanks... it's nice to hear a vote of confidence like this.

One last question: Yes, Panasonic has announced that there will soon be a firmware update for TrueHD support... but did they say how many channels? I know that there are BD players that only offer stereo TrueHD--any chance that the DMP-BD10's upcoming TrueHD support will only be 2-channel? Or have they already publicly committed to 5.1 or 7.1 channel support?

I would think that its at least 5.1... Most people have bought the Panny for this very reason.

#47 ·

Quote:

Panasonic has announced that there will soon be a firmware update for TrueHD support... but did they say how many channels? I know that there are BD players that only offer stereo TrueHD--any chance that the DMP-BD10's upcoming TrueHD support will only be 2-channel? Or have they already publicly committed to 5.1 or 7.1 channel support?

There is no chance that it will only be 2 channel. Support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD will be multichannel. Since the Panasonic does not have HDMI 1.3 (and there aren't any receivers with it yet, that I'm aware of), the Panasonic will convert the HD multichannel sound tracks to PCM and output that signal over the analog outs and HDMI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.