AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMP-BD10 - 1.4 firmware...

26K views 231 replies 71 participants last post by  alfbinet 
#1 ·
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/0

O' yea. Panny was sounding pretty good until you reminded me of this. (Still trying to decide on a BR player.)

Doubtful firmware update can correct this short coming.

Shortcoming?

Others are reporting that they can see no difference between 1080P 24 and 1080P 60 and that there is still some judder with 1080P24.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec /forum/post/0

Others are reporting that they can see no difference between 1080P 24 and 1080P 60 and that there is still some judder with 1080P24.

I hadn't heard that...what a bummer.

I was under the impression that 1080/24p eliminated judder.

Is there any other possible advantage to 1080/24p from a BD?

#54 ·

Quote:

Shortcoming?

Yes, it is a short coming...There are quite a few of us who want 1080/24 for our setups...If the unit lacks something which other players have, it is usually called a "shortcoming"...and that is putting it mildly...
Wow!...the next thing you know you'll want us to go back to analog outs!...(how archaic!)...

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

Yes, it is a short coming...There are quite a few of us who want 1080/24 for our setups...If the unit lacks something which other players have, it is usually called a "shortcoming"...and that is putting it mildly...
Wow!...the next thing you know you'll want us to go back to analog outs!...(how archaic!)...

Yes that is putting it mildly.

It would be great to have the option of 1080P 24 but based on what others on avs have said but it is not going to make me get rid of the panny for a pioneer elite just so i can feel secure that it has that feature.

analog outs ? how overly dramatic.

#56 ·
I am having an issue regarding the download. I checked my firmware version and it is 1.2 so I downloaded the update. I wrote the files onto a CD and loaded it into the player. I got the following message from the Panny UNSUP PORT.

Once I download the update from the Panasonic site what is the method for burning it onto a CD. I think I might be missing a step here. I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

#58 ·
Thanks for responding.

Yes that's the name of the file. I don't usually burn CD's except for the occasional music CD so I'm not sure that I'm transferring the file correctly. Once I have the exe file on my hard drive how do I burn it onto the CD?

Thanks for your help.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn /forum/post/0

Thanks for responding.

Yes that's the name of the file. I don't usually burn CD's except for the occasional music CD so I'm not sure that I'm transferring the file correctly. Once I have the exe file on my hard drive how do I burn it onto the CD?

Thanks for your help.

On the download website is a link that describes the process:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c..._Procedure.pdf

#60 ·

Quote:

Yes that is putting it mildly.

It would be great to have the option of 1080P 24 but based on what others on avs have said but it is not going to make me get rid of the panny for a pioneer elite just so i can feel secure that it has that feature.

analog outs ? how overly dramatic.

Your drama queen is on my "Honors List" for that very reason...

#62 ·
Vista supports formatting the CD in two ways:

1) Live File System (Default)

2) Mastered

Make sure you pick Mastered. I forgot to look at the formatting options and on the first disk I received the unsupport message.

As soon as I prepared a new disk using Mastered, all went fine.

Bryan

#63 ·
All is well downunder. I updated to 1.4 without a problem! I just used windows xp drag and drop to copy the file onto the cd writeable drive. Then i right clicked and wrote the file to the CD.

Thats 2 firmware upgrades since i've had the Panny...can't wait for DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD!!!

#69 ·
Although I do not own the panny is the pq better than the pioneer just at 60hz? I find it hard to believe it is better at 24hz. I know the panny does not do 24 but my display does that is why I am asking.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper /forum/post/0

Have you actually tested both on the same system?

I have and I prefer the picture on the Panny. Not that there is anything wrong with the Elite. It is a fantastic player. The Panny, in my opinion, puts out a slightly sharper image with richer color. It is also superior at upconverting DVDs.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

The Panasonic uses the same chip as the Sony and Pioneer (though, each is slightly customized, as I understand it). There is no reason - that I know of - why they couldn't do a firmware upgrade to enable 24fps down the road.

Panasonic assigns dedicated video processor chip for upconversion and picture quality control, while Sony and Pioneer are doing that process in the Sigma chip. If that video processor chip is not capable of output 24p, firmware update is nothing to do.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

The NS chip in the Panny is capable of 24p, so hopefully they will offer this down the road.

Thanks Kris,

Do you think Panasonic will be watching this discussion? There is a lot of interest in obtaining 1080p24 around here.

Alternatively, is there a way to communicate this to Panasonic?

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigN /forum/post/0

Thanks Kris,

Do you think Panasonic will be watching this discussion? There is a lot of interest in obtaining 1080p24 around here.

Alternatively, is there a way to communicate this to Panasonic?

With the addition of 24P this Panny would definitely have it all, and be King Dog!---Heck, I'm thinking it's the best player right now. I have only had it for one day and I absolutely love this thing!------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.