post #91 of 232 Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

... has anyone contacted Panasonic? I have tried, but their web form doesn't let me submit.

Josh,

You, too, huh? Unbelievable. After extensive search I found a different web email inquiry site for Panny. I used it to ask a question about an apparent conflict in the BD-10 manual. That "Send" button seemed to work. My message went away. But, no response.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 AM

I downloaded the firmware...1.4.

How does that work..I mean is the firmware 1.4 downloaded succesful or else not at all.......
Or is there a third possibility that it is downloaded with whatever mistakes...

It takes forever for the player to stop start and play open close and next....quite aggrevating....

PS
It shows 1.4 so there is something downloaded....
post #93 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

I don't use my machine for SD, so I'm not worried. But yes Panasonic isn't without its problems. But the CUE issue isn't enough to warrant not installing the latest firmware, unlike the DVI and stability issues gained by upgrading the Toshibas.

Let me just say, that I only mention this to point out how happy I have been with my Panasonic and their support.

CUE affects Blu-ray playback on this player, NOT SD playback. They use different decoders.

Almost everything out there has issues with HDMI->DVI as there is a colorspace conversion involved. You best bet is to just get an HDMI display at some point.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #94 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM

does CUE for BR discs affect any firmware release for Panny BD player?

Ninja!
Lords of the Night
post #95 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

CUE affects Blu-ray playback on this player, NOT SD playback. They use different decoders.

Will DVDO's VP50 auto CUE correction work on the Panny?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #96 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Liked: 12
Can someone explain me what is CUE???
How can I see this bug?

Is it a bug introduced by the new firmaware?

Thanks for some explanation,
Actarus.
post #97 of 232 Old 02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Chroma Unsampling Error. Easily spotted on large fields of red (like several scenes in Toy Story 2.)
post #98 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Almost everything out there has issues with HDMI->DVI as there is a colorspace conversion involved. You best bet is to just get an HDMI display at some point.

I've had my DMP-BD10 for just short of a month now and the only problem I had setting it up was related to the HDMI/HDMI and HDMI/DVI connections to my Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" LCD monitor. I understood that there were some issues with this set, especially the earlier firmware versions which mine is, with 1080p through HDMI and this was indeed an issue with the Panny as it did not recognize the set as 1080p capable. I switched around the inputs for my DirecTV boxes so I could connect the Panny HDMI/DVI1 and that works fine with one small glitch. With the Panny powered up with no disc and it's input selected on the 42W2, the Blu-ray logo is offset to the left maybe 4 inches and when a Blu-ray disc is inserted, the image is also offset. The television is set to fill mode and if I change it to the standard mode the image scrambles, so it has to be set to fill. The image shift problem can be corrected by simply cycling through the HDMI/DVI1/DVI2 inputs (with no disc in the tray) using the single button on the Westinghouse remote that performs this function. When it gets back to DVI1, the logo is centered and when a disc is inserted all is well. I wonder though, since when the image is offset with a Blu-Ray DVD playing there is nothing missing on the right side, the image going all the way to the right edge, if I am actually losing some of the frame on either side when it is centered, although the proportions and framing do seem correct as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, I think the DMP-BD10 is amazing. It not only plays my rather large collection of SD DVD's flawlessly but in every case so far, makes them look way better scaled to 1080p then they did on my previous Panny, an RP-91 which itself was no slouch, making the promise I made to myself to not go on a spree of buying Blu-ray versions of films already in my collection easier to keep. In addition, all of my DVD-A discs play flawlessly and the half dozen or so Blu-ray titles that I have so far look and sound as good or better than I expected.

The bottom line is that I am very pleased to have decided to jump on in.
post #99 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja.rogue View Post

does CUE for BR discs affect any firmware release for Panny BD player?

Not sure I understand your question here but the only firmware that didn't have CUE was the original one that the initial lot of players shipped with (1.0). Since then all of them have had it. Panasonic is aware of it and hopefully we will see a fix.

Quote:

Will DVDO's VP50 auto CUE correction work on the Panny?

Yes, but it would still be ideal for the player to not have CUE to begin with so that filtering isn't applied.

Senior Video Editor

post #100 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone know if the BD10 supports 480i output via HDMI for SD-DVD discs?

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #101 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stein View Post

There is no chance that it will only be 2 channel. Support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD will be multichannel. Since the Panasonic does not have HDMI 1.3 (and there aren't any receivers with it yet, that I'm aware of), the Panasonic will convert the HD multichannel sound tracks to PCM and output that signal over the analog outs and HDMI.

Can anyone confirm that the DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD will definitely come over the analog outputs. I'm still in shock that this is the only player that supports 7 channel analog, but if it does what I want I'll gladly spend the money on it.

post #102 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

That's interesting - I've reviewed the UK version and CUE *was* present on SD NTSC DVD playback - at least on a disc that didn't have progressive film flags.

On discs that DID feature the flags though, I noticed a different kind of chroma defect, which I've pictured in the review. Would any owners like to read that part of the review (link: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63954 ) and comment? It's almost exactly half-way down the page and the image shows comparisons of one animated title compared with other players.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #103 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

That's interesting - I've reviewed the UK version and CUE *was* present on SD NTSC DVD playback - at least on a disc that didn't have progressive film flags.

On discs that DID feature the flags though, I noticed a different kind of chroma defect, which I've pictured in the review. Would any owners like to read that part of the review (link: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63954 ) and comment? It's almost exactly half-way down the page and the image shows comparisons of one animated title compared with other players.

A very nice review which I fear will not be given its due notice when buried on this firmware thread. I hope you post it elsewhere perhaps on its own thread.

BTW. The region limitations on Blu-ray discs may be exaggerated at this point. There's a rundown here http://bluray.lindsite.dk/ that indicates that a substantial number of Region A discs do play on non-Region A players.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #104 of 232 Old 02-02-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Chroma Unsampling Error. Easily spotted on large fields of red (like several scenes in Toy Story 2.)

So far i really think these firmware updates have been to upgrade the java so new titles can played like Descent and the FOX titles.
I still have to setup the player with a -1 contrast and +1 brightness to pass blacker than black and limit the whites so they are not blown out so these firmware upgrades have done nothing to fix the video levels and get rid of CUE(chroma upsampling error).
Thankfully i own the VP50 processor to fix cue but it would look alot better if Panasonic would fix the player issues with firmware along with the ability to play new and upcoming titles.
post #105 of 232 Old 02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The Panny does some weird things to chroma when you upconvert past 480p. Something in the National Semiconducter chip is doing it. Cliff Stephenson pointed this out to me sometime ago. I don't watch SD DVD anymore so I wouldn't have spotted it (and I use a Denon 5910 for SD playback if I do watch a DVD anyways). That might be what you are seeing Lyris.

Senior Video Editor

post #106 of 232 Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I tried to play the movie "8 below" before updating the picture would not stay in. It would go back and forth to different colors and sometimes a blank screen.

Is this something the firmware will take care of?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #107 of 232 Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

Can anyone confirm that the DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD will definitely come over the analog outputs. I'm still in shock that this is the only player that supports 7 channel analog, but if it does what I want I'll gladly spend the money on it.

I can confirm that the DTS/HD plays ......but like DTS....eg in Totall Recall...simply a spectacular sound but stil not the DTS-HD as promised ...firmware ****...
post #108 of 232 Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post

I can confirm that the DTS/HD plays ......but like DTS....eg in Totall Recall...simply a spectacular sound but stil not the DTS-HD as promised ...firmware ****...

Panasonic has sent e-mail saying the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD firmware updates will be ready in April. They have never made a commitment to any earlier date. This has been documented on various threads. I don't understand what you are mad about, but there is no reason to be mad at Panasonic, they have not missed their commitment date.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=bd10

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
post #109 of 232 Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Panasonic has been very good in their treatment of us early adopters IMO.
Remember, Panasonic has a history of making fine optical players.

I don't regret my purchase.
And I will wait patiently for firmware.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #110 of 232 Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree - I know I am a early adopter but I don't regret buying a Panny - an amazing sound and picture coming through! And the HD audio upgrades will be amazing, I can't wait!
post #111 of 232 Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM

okay the mad emoticon is a bit strong...but you pay loads of cash for player and discs and still they do not form a team.....go figure.....why do the film companies and the designers not talk to each other and pamper the consumer.... .

I have eg 500 Standard dvd´s and after the film I patiently watch the credits...more than half show that the film is in DTS...now WHY do I get 5.1...and only every now and than DTS.....and amazingly always DTS as I buy the superbitter.....

Anyway let us make mad into sad......

I am proud of my Panny ......and still am a positive person....
post #112 of 232 Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have eg 500 Standard dvd´s and after the film I patiently watch the credits...more than half show that the film is in DTS...now WHY do I get 5.1...and only every now and than DTS.....and amazingly always DTS as I buy the superbitter.....

I don't understand what you're saying here. DTS is a 5.1 format, so is DD. Why are you watching the credits to see what audio format the DVD is using? You just select it in the menu before you watch it. Most are set to default to DD. So you're either buying a version that doesn't have DTS or if it does, you're not going into the menu and selecting it.

That's not a problem with the player. That's operator error.
post #113 of 232 Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

I don't understand what you're saying here. DTS is a 5.1 format, so is DD. Why are you watching the credits to see what audio format the DVD is using? You just select it in the menu before you watch it. Most are set to default to DD. So you're either buying a version that doesn't have DTS or if it does, you're not going into the menu and selecting it.

That's not a problem with the player. That's operator error.

No you do not get the message....

I watch the credits because I am a film lover and wants to see the names involved and what songs they use etc....
and than suddenly I spot at the end of the credits that the original film is shot with DTS ...however the dvd is just DD 5.1...I am surprised you never noticed..... ....check it out and never be happy....

Now that IS frustrating...if it is there put it on....and do not let the consumer enjoy it after he payed even more cash to obtain the superbit version with the DTS as a standard....again do not be afraid I didn.t select the right menu for sound...I even double check if it really is DTS what the receiver outputs...since loads of menu s are user unfriendly and not all of them use the piano trailer as a confirmation.....but stop cause again I am complaining....
post #114 of 232 Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you should just enjoy the show.
post #115 of 232 Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

and than suddenly I spot at the end of the credits that the original film is shot with DTS ...however the dvd is just DD 5.1

That is a decision made by the releasing company of the title. Does not have anything to do with Panasonic.
post #116 of 232 Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No you do not get the message....

I watch the credits because I am a film lover and wants to see the names involved and what songs they use etc....
and than suddenly I spot at the end of the credits that the original film is shot with DTS ...however the dvd is just DD 5.1...I am surprised you never noticed..... ....check it out and never be happy....

Now that IS frustrating...if it is there put it on....and do not let the consumer enjoy it after he payed even more cash to obtain the superbit version with the DTS as a standard....again do not be afraid I didn.t select the right menu for sound...I even double check if it really is DTS what the receiver outputs...since loads of menu s are user unfriendly and not all of them use the piano trailer as a confirmation.....but stop cause again I am complaining....

The only thing that logo at the end of the credits means is that the original PCM soundtrack was available in DTS for selected theaters. Basically, DTS made a CD available for theaters that are capable of DTS playback. Movie soundtracks are PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS are just a way of compressing them for delivery in film and home mediums.

So the releasing studio decided to only include a Dolby soundtrack in this case. If they wanted to use a DTS soundtrack they still would have done a new encode of the audio; they don't use the same one as the theatrical presentation (it is compressed and usually scaled down in resolution).

Since Dolby is REQUIRED by the DVD specification, most DVDs that have a DTS soundtrack also have a full Dolby Digital soundtrack as well. By including both you are giving up bandwidth that also plays into the quality of the video. So depending on how much bandwidth was needed for the video presentation the studio opted not to include the DTS soundtrack to preserve picture quality, especially since most people consider the difference between DTS and Dolby fleeting at best and Dolby soundtracks are nearly half the bandwidth requirement.

Senior Video Editor

post #117 of 232 Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks...this is good learning stuff...

For those in doubt I am very much enjoying the show with loads of Blurays......

But I will love to learn as well hence the postings...

Anyway with the coming of Bluray the sound is no issue any longer it is simply breathtaking...no matter what title I put in my Panny.....
post #118 of 232 Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Erik,

Glad you are enjoying the movies, that is what we are all doing

Please don't be discouraged from asking questions

Dive deep, play with sharks.

So long and thanks for all the fish . . .
post #119 of 232 Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming (assuming being the operative word) that since I plan on letting the Panasonic do all the decoding and outputting the audio via 7.1 analog, that if a movie has a 6.1 soundtrack it will automatically split the rear channel into two mono channels - that way I'll get sound out of both my rear speakers and not just one. Is that correct?

post #120 of 232 Old 02-08-2007, 03:29 PM

I have just taken delivery of my Region A Panasonic BD10.

When I check the firmware version, I was expecting to see 1.0, 1.2 or 1.3 etc. However, all I get is the following:

00300103 - 34303430

Anyone have any ideas what version this is?
I am a bit loathe to update in case I mess it up. But I will want to upgrade in due course for True HD / DTS-MA.

Many thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page