AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMP-BD10 - 1.4 firmware...

26K views 231 replies 71 participants last post by  alfbinet 
#1 ·
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/0

O' yea. Panny was sounding pretty good until you reminded me of this. (Still trying to decide on a BR player.)

Doubtful firmware update can correct this short coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

Yes, it is a short coming...There are quite a few of us who want 1080/24 for our setups...If the unit lacks something which other players have, it is usually called a "shortcoming"...and that is putting it mildly...
Wow!...the next thing you know you'll want us to go back to analog outs!...(how archaic!)...

Want to talk about a player's shortcomings? Try playing a CD on a Pioneer or a Sony!

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright /forum/post/0

My new Panny should be here next week. Should I do the firmware updates from this thread or do the setup adjustments on the other thread first?

Wait till you get the unit and see which version it has. Mine came with 1.3, but most arrive with 1.0 0r 1.2. You might get one with 1.4 already installed----- It doesn't matter when you do the settings, you can do them before or after the updates------if you do it before the update, the unit remembers the settings and adds them to the update.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDeffJeff /forum/post/0

I happen to also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and have updated to 2.0 with no problems so I don't know what you are talking about.

Same here... Getting an firmware update that bumped us up to TrueHD was a real bummer.... Hope Panasonic get there soon

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

The 2.0 firmware added Black Crush for DVI playback.

I dont use DVI so theres no problem at all at least for my setup

#88 ·
Panasonic isn't without its problems when it comes to firmware. The last one before this gave the player CUE issues that they still haven't resolved. So they actually added a problem rather than getting rid of one. So I wouldn't go pointing fingers too much at Toshiba.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

Panasonic isn't without its problems when it comes to firmware. The last one before this gave the player CUE issues that they still haven't resolved. So they actually added a problem rather than getting rid of one. So I wouldn't go pointing fingers too much at Toshiba.

I bought my Panny at Tweeter and I noticed it was double clear taped, but it had a factory seal on the box that said, "This package has been inspected in accordance with regulations"---and when I checked to see what firmware was installed, it was 1.3----which I thought was kinda weird. However I updated it to 1.4 and have had a perfect running machine. Maybe this is why I have had no issues?----At any rate, I love my Panny!-----

#90 ·
Panasonic UK have sent me a DMP-BD10 for review, which came to me as v1.0. I upgraded it to v1.4 - and now it has CUE when playing BD movies. I'm sure it didn't before - it was instantly noticeable on the red Fox "WARNING" screen at the beginning of the Fantastic 4 disc.

Quote:
unlike the DVI and stability issues gained by upgrading the Toshibas.

Weird - I never had any stability problems from upgrading my own HD-A1, that's the first I've heard of it...

#91 ·

Quote:

... has anyone contacted Panasonic? I have tried, but their web form doesn't let me submit.

Josh,

You, too, huh? Unbelievable. After extensive search I found a different web email inquiry site for Panny. I used it to ask a question about an apparent conflict in the BD-10 manual. That "Send" button seemed to work. My message went away. But, no response.

Dana

#92 ·
I downloaded the firmware...1.4.

How does that work..I mean is the firmware 1.4 downloaded succesful or else not at all.......

Or is there a third possibility that it is downloaded with whatever mistakes...

It takes forever for the player to stop start and play open close and next....quite aggrevating....

PS

It shows 1.4 so there is something downloaded....

#93 ·

Quote:

I don't use my machine for SD, so I'm not worried. But yes Panasonic isn't without its problems. But the CUE issue isn't enough to warrant not installing the latest firmware, unlike the DVI and stability issues gained by upgrading the Toshibas.

Let me just say, that I only mention this to point out how happy I have been with my Panasonic and their support.

CUE affects Blu-ray playback on this player, NOT SD playback. They use different decoders.

Almost everything out there has issues with HDMI->DVI as there is a colorspace conversion involved. You best bet is to just get an HDMI display at some point.

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

Almost everything out there has issues with HDMI->DVI as there is a colorspace conversion involved. You best bet is to just get an HDMI display at some point.

I've had my DMP-BD10 for just short of a month now and the only problem I had setting it up was related to the HDMI/HDMI and HDMI/DVI connections to my Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" LCD monitor. I understood that there were some issues with this set, especially the earlier firmware versions which mine is, with 1080p through HDMI and this was indeed an issue with the Panny as it did not recognize the set as 1080p capable. I switched around the inputs for my DirecTV boxes so I could connect the Panny HDMI/DVI1 and that works fine with one small glitch. With the Panny powered up with no disc and it's input selected on the 42W2, the Blu-ray logo is offset to the left maybe 4 inches and when a Blu-ray disc is inserted, the image is also offset. The television is set to fill mode and if I change it to the standard mode the image scrambles, so it has to be set to fill. The image shift problem can be corrected by simply cycling through the HDMI/DVI1/DVI2 inputs (with no disc in the tray) using the single button on the Westinghouse remote that performs this function. When it gets back to DVI1, the logo is centered and when a disc is inserted all is well. I wonder though, since when the image is offset with a Blu-Ray DVD playing there is nothing missing on the right side, the image going all the way to the right edge, if I am actually losing some of the frame on either side when it is centered, although the proportions and framing do seem correct as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, I think the DMP-BD10 is amazing. It not only plays my rather large collection of SD DVD's flawlessly but in every case so far, makes them look way better scaled to 1080p then they did on my previous Panny, an RP-91 which itself was no slouch, making the promise I made to myself to not go on a spree of buying Blu-ray versions of films already in my collection easier to keep. In addition, all of my DVD-A discs play flawlessly and the half dozen or so Blu-ray titles that I have so far look and sound as good or better than I expected.

The bottom line is that I am very pleased to have decided to jump on in.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja.rogue /forum/post/0

does CUE for BR discs affect any firmware release for Panny BD player?

Not sure I understand your question here but the only firmware that didn't have CUE was the original one that the initial lot of players shipped with (1.0). Since then all of them have had it. Panasonic is aware of it and hopefully we will see a fix.

Quote:
Will DVDO's VP50 auto CUE correction work on the Panny?

Yes, but it would still be ideal for the player to not have CUE to begin with so that filtering isn't applied.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stein /forum/post/0

There is no chance that it will only be 2 channel. Support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD will be multichannel. Since the Panasonic does not have HDMI 1.3 (and there aren't any receivers with it yet, that I'm aware of), the Panasonic will convert the HD multichannel sound tracks to PCM and output that signal over the analog outs and HDMI.

Can anyone confirm that the DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD will definitely come over the analog outputs. I'm still in shock that this is the only player that supports 7 channel analog, but if it does what I want I'll gladly spend the money on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.