Possible for Sony to add analog out from the Multi AV port on the PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Think about it. Most people here are using HDMI to their TV. This frees up the Multi AV out port on the PS3. There is enough bandwith to support at least 5.1 analog out (hopefully 7.1) Does anyone know if this is possible? Has Sony even considererd this option? I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone who has some connection with Sony could ask or mention this to them. We could easily get upto 7.1 analog out from the MultiAV port and use HDMI for our TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
won't the ps3 need 8 good dac for 7.1 analog out?
post #3 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, they only have DACs for two channels. It's not a bandwidth issue.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Someone mentioned USB in another thread. It makes sense that both the PS3 and 360 could write a driver to dump raw PCM out of USB after decoding TrueHD and/or DTS-HDMA --- as long as there are devices that can take the raw PCM off USB and feed them to 8 audio-grade DACs to get 7.1 analog.

It's going to be a short window for devices like this as HDMI LPCM will migrate quickly to cheaper AVRs.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

Someone mentioned USB in another thread. It makes sense that both the PS3 and 360 could write a driver to dump raw PCM out of USB after decoding TrueHD and/or DTS-HDMA --- as long as there are devices that can take the raw PCM off USB and feed them to 8 audio-grade DACs to get 7.1 analog.

It's going to be a short window for devices like this as HDMI LPCM will migrate quickly to cheaper AVRs.

They won't permit raw PCM to pass due to copy protection concerns.

The best stopgap device we could hope for would be a decoder box that accepts HDMI and has DACs for analog outputs.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 233
but why use a box that converts the hdmi signal into 8 dac when we could technically use the multi AV port for the same purpose? Sony would have to support this no doubt and it would have to be enabled by a firmware update but I don't see why it can't be done. Sony component cable is a total of 5 cables. Add at least 1 more and have just analog audio output from the AV port.
post #7 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

See my thread on lossless from a while back.

Stop sweating it.

My audio system has a list price of around $40,000 US (that's just the 5 speakers, amps, and preamp) and I could care less about lossless now and just sold off my DVD-A player (6 channel PCM lossless aka MLP) that listed for $6000.00 because the DTS sounds just as good !!! I'm not trying to brag about my system, I'm more embarassed that I spent as much as I did than brag (I bought it all used/demo and most of it is still current). I'm just trying to make a point that lossless is way over rated. DTS especially at high bitrate is an AMAZING technology. And people want lossless just because it's there. I've fallen in to the same trap. Luckily the DVD-A player I bought as demo and recooped some value. The PS3 sounded just as good on DTS (over optical) as the $7000.00 DVD-A player did playing the same DVD-A on lossless (MLP). The lossless technoligy used on DVD-A IS EXACTLY the same stuff in Dolby TrueHD. Meridian (the system I have and inventor of it) sold the rights of DVD-A (MLP) to Dolby. By the way I don't have Meridian's top end system, that would cost about $220,000.00 List.

The only thing HDMI will get you is SACD on the PS3. But going through a DAC and then another ADC will kill that 5% improvement SACD has.

Also going through a DAC and ADC will be worse than any DTS compression artifacts. I have heard how much a D to A and A to D conversion can decrease the quality of audio. But I can't hear the decrease in audio quality from a good DTS bitstream.

And music is way more critical than movies. DTS and DD is what you still get in the MOVIE THEATER.

Your room, speakers and amps are 90% of the quality of audio you're listening to, focus on that instead.

Even Dolby ProLogic can sound positively amazing on a proper setup.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

but why use a box that converts the hdmi signal into 8 dac when we could technically use the multi AV port for the same purpose? Sony would have to support this no doubt and it would have to be enabled by a firmware update but I don't see why it can't be done. Sony component cable is a total of 5 cables. Add at least 1 more and have just analog audio output from the AV port.

SirDrexl is correct. HDMI is the ONLY WAY to legally get the signal out of the box. The DACs don't exist.

A third party might create a box, but Sony never will.
post #9 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As noted above, the PS3 doesn't contain the DACs necessary to convert multichannel (>2 channel) digital audio to analog for output.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the PS3 is just not a viable dedicated HT component, it can't be turned into one

it does what it does, but what it doesn't do is the problem

-Gary
post #11 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

the PS3 is just not a viable dedicated HT component, it can't be turned into one

-Gary

If you have an HDMI receiver, then what is the problem? I don't yet, but will likely get one later this year or next. At that point, I don't see what a standalone player will give me over my PS3 for my needs (i.e., Blu-ray movie playback).

post #12 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

See my thread on lossless from a while back.

Stop sweating it.

My audio system has a list price of around $40,000 US (that's just the 5 speakers, amps, and preamp) and I could care less about lossless now and just sold off my DVD-A player (6 channel PCM lossless aka MLP) that listed for $6000.00 because the DTS sounds just as good !!! I'm not trying to brag about my system, I'm more embarassed that I spent as much as I did than brag (I bought it all used/demo and most of it is still current). I'm just trying to make a point that lossless is way over rated. DTS especially at high bitrate is an AMAZING technology. And people want lossless just because it's there. I've fallen in to the same trap. Luckily the DVD-A player I bought as demo and recooped some value. The PS3 sounded just as good on DTS (over optical) as the $7000.00 DVD-A player did playing the same DVD-A on lossless (MLP). The lossless technoligy used on DVD-A IS EXACTLY the same stuff in Dolby TrueHD. Meridian (the system I have and inventor of it) sold the rights of DVD-A (MLP) to Dolby. By the way I don't have Meridian's top end system, that would cost about $220,000.00 List.

The only thing HDMI will get you is SACD on the PS3. But going through a DAC and then another ADC will kill that 5% improvement SACD has.

Also going through a DAC and ADC will be worse than any DTS compression artifacts. I have heard how much a D to A and A to D conversion can decrease the quality of audio. But I can't hear the decrease in audio quality from a good DTS bitstream.

And music is way more critical than movies. DTS and DD is what you still get in the MOVIE THEATER.

Your room, speakers and amps are 90% of the quality of audio you're listening to, focus on that instead.

Even Dolby ProLogic can sound positively amazing on a proper setup.

Great post! After spending the last few months purchasing virtually every HDMI equipped receiver under the sun just to be able to listen to LPCM via HDMI from both Blu-ray and HD DVD, I have come to the same conclusion as you have, namely that if you own high quality gear, DTS at 1.5 Mbps output sounds fantastic and is virtually indistinguishable from lossless.

Is this true for every receiver / pre pro? I would say probably not as LPCM via HDMI did sound quite a bit better on all the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Onkyo receivers I tried in comparison to running DTS via SPDIF but when I went BACK to better quality products from Arcam, Naim etc., the differences just are not there or are slight to say the least (5.1 analog input comparison as HDMI audio does not exist on these products). I DEFINITELY prefer the Arcam and Naim products in comparison to the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc. receivers for simple SD DVD and sat viewing as the sound is far more involving and multi-faceted and DPL II is a big step forward on the Arcam in comparison to the cheaper priced competition. As always, when it comes to music reproduction, its not even a contest.....

For reference purposes, I am currently running an Arcam AVR-350 partnered with a Naim Nait 5i, Neat Acoustic Motive speakers, Escient Fireball DVDM-100 with 2 Sony DVP-CX777ES changers, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player, Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player, Sony PS3, Naca5 speaker cables and Chord Anthem interconnects. Not a "high-end" system by any stretch but one that meets my budget and to me, sounds fantastic for the money. If anything, the only regret I have right now is the Panasonic blu-ray player as I find that the dacs in the Panasonic are inferior to the Arcam, especially when listening to DTS tracks - I much prefer using the SPDIF as opposed to the 7.1 analog outputs of the Panny as the Arcam seems to decode with more detail and slam but this may simply be down to the Panasonic having inferior bass management flexibility in comparison to the Arcam or the additional D to A and A to D conversions that need to take place when using analog outputs. If I had to do it over again, I would simply have stuck with the PS3 as when used via optical to the Arcam, it sounds better than the Panasonic when using the 7.1 analog outputs.

The same holds true for HD DVD when comparing TruHD via 5.1 analog vs. DTS via SPDIF. I find both to be very dynamic and involving and virtually indistinguishable on the Arcam. If anything, the SPDIF is a better option for me as I can make minute adjustments on the fly to the sound that can not be done so easily on the Toshiba when using the 5.1 analog outputs.
post #13 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If you have an HDMI receiver, then what is the problem? I don't yet, but will likely get one later this year or next. At that point, I don't see what a standalone player will give me over my PS3 for my needs (i.e., Blu-ray movie playback).

Exactly right. With an HDMI receiver (I have the Pioneer VSX-81TXV) you're good to go with the PS3. The best *&mn audio I've heard, through linear PCM and DTS-HD (core) at 1.5 Mbps. If Sony implements DTS-HD Master then even better. And of course TrueHD.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rkus View Post

Great post! After spending the last few months purchasing virtually every HDMI equipped receiver under the sun just to be able to listen to LPCM via HDMI from both Blu-ray and HD DVD, I have come to the same conclusion as you have, namely that if you own high quality gear, DTS at 1.5 Mbps output sounds fantastic and is virtually indistinguishable from lossless.

Is this true for every receiver / pre pro? I would say probably not as LPCM via HDMI did sound quite a bit better on all the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Onkyo receivers I tried in comparison to running DTS via SPDIF but when I went BACK to better quality products from Arcam, Naim etc., the differences just are not there or are slight to say the least (5.1 analog input comparison as HDMI audio does not exist on these products). I DEFINITELY prefer the Arcam and Naim products in comparison to the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc. receivers for simple SD DVD and sat viewing as the sound is far more involving and multi-faceted and DPL II is a big step forward on the Arcam in comparison to the cheaper priced competition. As always, when it comes to music reproduction, its not even a contest.....

For reference purposes, I am currently running an Arcam AVR-350 partnered with a Naim Nait 5i, Neat Acoustic Motive speakers, Escient Fireball DVDM-100 with 2 Sony DVP-CX777ES changers, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player, Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player, Sony PS3, Naca5 speaker cables and Chord Anthem interconnects. Not a "high-end" system by any stretch but one that meets my budget and to me, sounds fantastic for the money. If anything, the only regret I have right now is the Panasonic blu-ray player as I find that the dacs in the Panasonic are inferior to the Arcam, especially when listening to DTS tracks - I much prefer using the SPDIF as opposed to the 7.1 analog outputs of the Panny as the Arcam seems to decode with more detail and slam but this may simply be down to the Panasonic having inferior bass management flexibility in comparison to the Arcam or the additional D to A and A to D conversions that need to take place when using analog outputs. If I had to do it over again, I would simply have stuck with the PS3 as when used via optical to the Arcam, it sounds better than the Panasonic when using the 7.1 analog outputs.

The same holds true for HD DVD when comparing TruHD via 5.1 analog vs. DTS via SPDIF. I find both to be very dynamic and involving and virtually indistinguishable on the Arcam. If anything, the SPDIF is a better option for me as I can make minute adjustments on the fly to the sound that can not be done so easily on the Toshiba when using the 5.1 analog outputs.

Finally a great rebuttal !!!

I agree, that in some cases a system might sound better on one vs the other based on how well it implemented each. My only point is that the format difference between DTS and LPCM (both correctly authored) is very small.

You also have to watch out for some discs might poorly author one format vs the other (DTS vs LPCM). But if you have 2 equally well authored formats and system that equally well, processes each, the difference is extremely small, so small most systems and human ears can't reveal the difference.

Your test on receivers, I don't dispute, but is very curious. The DTS streams should (by licensing approval and what not) all decode to the exact same bits going to the DACs.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Gary

That's total nonsense. PS3 makes a great HT component. The lack of 5.1 analog outputs should not sway someone either way. Hooking up via 5.1 analog has been and always will be a total hack. Studio's don't care about letting 5.1 analog out of the box because they know it's a degraded quality signal. It will also degrade further with each "copy" done through analog. They are much more careful in letting master quality bits out of the box which is why copy protection exists on the digital paths.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 AM

I too have been in the market for an HDMI receiver that accepts uncompressed multichannel PCM to enjoy the most from my PS3 after hearing how great it was from a site who played a 7.1 PCM PS3 game. It's ironically relieving to hear that the difference between well done DTS and well done uncompressed will probably not be worth the cost for most people because they may not have or do not want to spend the money on equipment to notice the difference.

I am on that 'most' people boat who spent less than $1k total on all home theater audio gear. I will stick to my reliable 5 year old DD1 and DTS receiver until it breaks down (which I doubt, I'm also still enjoying a 15 year old analog ProLogic receiver) and the prices of HDMI receivers with the works and does simple things like autopass video from the last HDMI input when turned off (Panasonic) will come down. Probably 3+ years.

Hearing that uncompressed PCM is not worth the money from someone who spent and sacrificed thousands of dollars and time to advice us wisely is VERY relieving. There aren't enough of you out there to tell your fellow aspiring HT buddies wise, down to earth advice.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is kinda relieving for me too. I am in the market for a Bluray player - preferably PS3. I have a Denon AVR-2803 right now. It has optical, coaxial and Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. Will this receiver be able to take a 1.5 Mbps DTS bitstream. If that sounds good, I will hang on to the Denon for a couple of more years until the whole HDMI issue has sorted itself out. However, I do want to get the PS3 in a couple of months. Is the big March software update for PS3 just a rumor or did Sony announce it and the feature upgrades.

Also, will PS3 send DTS bitstream out for Bluray discs that support it or does it reencode anything to DTS 1.5 Mbps. Just wondering.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Speakers are by far....the number 1 ingredient to better sound......with receivers and pre-pros taking a far distant second.

DTS 1.5 is only available on Fox titles on BD......and there are far more PCM audio titles from Sony and Disney than Fox titles....so hdmi audio is mandatory for the PS3....and anyone who says different is giving ridiculously bad advice.

There are absolutely no titles to compare that have both 1.5 DTS and PCM...so any comparison is not legit at all.
And last but not least....the PS3 is a far better player than the Samsung, Philips, HD-A1, RCA or Sony stand alone....from my experience owning them all.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM

HDMI for audio is not madatory. Will most people ever care if they hear the difference and if they do will they be willing to pay? I believe most people would rather spend the money on a bigger, better screen or better speakers (or a larger subwoofer) than hearing lossless audio. Pretty much anything that'll help make the movie more involving. Lossless audio would be a small improvement to that.
post #20 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Gary

Gary do you own a PS3? The PS3 is without a doubt the most amazing HT component I have ever used or have owned. On top of that it is one hell of a value. Some of the great features of the PS3 include:

HDMI 1.3
20/60 Hard Drive
Blu-ray Playback
DVD/CD/SACD Playback
It is a HTPC
Incredible Online Capabilities
Free Online Gaming
Free Online Video/Game Downloads

If this is your definition of something which is "not a viable dedicated HT component," then I have no idea what is.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #21 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

HDMI for audio is not madatory. Will most people ever care if they hear the difference and if they do will they be willing to pay? I believe most people would rather spend the money on a bigger, better screen or better speakers (or a larger subwoofer) than hearing lossless audio. Pretty much anything that'll help make the movie more involving. Lossless audio would be a small improvement to that.

The majority on a site like this....do appreciate the difference in audio whether they get it from hdmi via the PS3 or stand alone or analog via a stand alone player.

I admit that some of the DTS 1.5 tracks sound very good....but they are a small fraction in comparison to whats available via PCM on BD.

The PS3 is a very good SA-CD player also via HDMI only.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does Arcam and Naim even have HDMI on any of their gear in order to compare the differences on the same set up?
Are there any titles that have both uncompressed PCM and DTS 1.5 to even compare?
post #23 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

Speakers are by far....the number 1 ingredient to better sound......with receivers and pre-pros taking a far distant second.

DTS 1.5 is only available on Fox titles on BD......and there are far more PCM audio titles from Sony and Disney than Fox titles....so hdmi audio is mandatory for the PS3....and anyone who says different is giving ridiculously bad advice.

There are absolutely no titles to compare that have both 1.5 DTS and PCM...so any comparison is not legit at all.
And last but not least....the PS3 is a far better player than the Samsung, Philips, HD-A1, RCA or Sony stand alone....from my experience owning them all.

I appreciate what you are saying but my experience with my HD-A1 seems to be opposite. Every film viewed / listened to on the HD-A1 via SPDIF is re-encoded to 1.5 Mbps DTS and I can directly compare these soundtracks to their TruHD alternative (lossless when decoded - a match to LPCM) simply by switching to 5.1 analog inputs. As I stated in my last post, the difference between these two on my setup is very small to non-existent - both sound fantastic!

With regards to blu-ray, I currently only own DTS-HD encoded discs (not by design - it just worked out that way) so can not compare to LPCM in the blu-ray format but I DO believe that the results would be virtually identical to what I am experiencing on my HD-A1. The ONLY reason I am holding on to my Panasonic blu-ray player is to see / hear what DTS-HD sounds like when the appropriate firmware becomes available in April. If the same findings hold true then as they do now (no real perceptible difference), then I will sell the Panasonic and stick with the PS3, which I find to be a fantastic piece of gear.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does Arcam and Naim even have HDMI on any of their gear in order to compare the differences on the same set up?
Are there any titles that have both uncompressed PCM and DTS 1.5 to even compare?

Earz - as I stated earlier, Arcam and Naim do not have HDMI audio capabilities, but they DO have multi-channel analog inputs.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

The PS3 is without a doubt the most amazing HT component I have ever used or have owned. On top of that it is one hell of a value. Some of the great features of the PS3 include:

HDMI 1.3
20/60 Hard Drive
Blu-ray Playback
DVD/CD/SACD Playback
It is a HTPC
Incredible Online Capabilities
Free Online Gaming
Free Online Video/Game Downloads

If this is your definition of something which is "not a viable dedicated HT component," then I have no idea what is.

I don't agree with Gary either, but HDD, CD/SACD playback, online capabilities, online gaming and game downloads have nothing to do with being a viable/unviable HT component. Besides, I'd like to argue that PS3 is a crap HTPC - at the moment. I'm hoping that either Sony or some 3rd party developer pulls out all the stops to make PS3 a proper HTPC. It's got the hardware to be an amazing HTPC, certainly. The file format support is just not there yet.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #26 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

The main issue that prevents the PS3 from being a "viable HT component" in most people's minds is the lack of an IR port. This prevents it from being used with everyone's existing universal remotes without some convoluted workaround.

There is always the option of the dedicated PS3 remote but most enthusiasts hate the idea of going back to multi-remote setups.
post #27 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The main issue that prevents the PS3 from being a "viable HT component" in most people's minds is the lack of an IR port. This prevents it from being used with everyone's existing universal remotes without some convoluted workaround.

There is always the option of the dedicated PS3 remote but most enthusiasts hate the idea of going back to multi-remote setups.

This is the only valid argument. And I don't hold it against Sony for trying to move forward. bluetooth remote works flawlessly. And I still point it at the system when I use it :-).

HTPC it's not, it will be awkward to add a HD tuner to it. Possibly it could be done through USB.

It's a perfectly fine blue-ray player for me.
post #28 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think he compared LPCM and DTS of the Yamaha, Denon etc. to his DTS Arcam setup and still prefers the sound of his Arcam DTS setup. Perfectly valid test.

I compared Meridian DVD-A LPCM and DTS (at DVD bit rate) wit NO extra D to A and A to D conversion. DVD-A is the same STUFF. Couldn't hear the difference.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am still surprised we haven't seen a third party announce a better IR solution for the PS3.

The first manufacturer to offer such a product is going to make $$$.
post #30 of 36 Old 01-30-2007, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

I think he compared LPCM and DTS of the Yamaha, Denon etc. to his DTS Arcam setup and still prefers the sound of his Arcam DTS setup. Perfectly valid test.

I compared Meridian DVD-A LPCM and DTS (at DVD bit rate) wit NO extra D to A and A to D conversion. DVD-A is the same STUFF. Couldn't hear the difference.

He did not compare multi channel PCM tracks to DTS 1.5 from a BD disc.....because none exsist......I say not valid at all.....as far as BD is concerned...and there are no PCM tracks on hd dvd.

And I stand corrected...its room acoustics, speakers.....and then receiver/pre/pro coming in a distant third as far as sound quality goes.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page