Phillips Blu Ray Player is... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 222 Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please owners post all of your experiences with this player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this the rebadged Samsung?

Please feel free to visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow my NEWS feed on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 222 Old 01-10-2007, 05:10 AM

I have owned the BDP9000 for close to a month now, and am very impressed with it as a Blu-ray player. It is built quite sturdy, and delivers great audio and video quality. The load times are pretty fast, and the DVD upconverting looks great. It is not a rebadged Samsung, do a search, they differ on some internal components.
post #4 of 222 Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Is this the rebadged Samsung?

From what I've been able to read about this player on the forum so far is that it does have some of the same features or design characteristics of the Samsung unit, This I have no clue about and could really care less, Kinda. After being mesmorized by the Bluray picture quality from a unit at least four months ago I see what it's all about!(Sammy player w/Mitsu 73"DLP) I was also at the HD DVD demonstration at Value Electronics a few months ago to see the toshiba unit in superb picture producing form as well.

After sitting on the what I consider nerve racking fence until late yesterday I ordered up a Phillips BDP9000 for almost half the cost of the sony player granted I do wear NIKE shoes and also work in the television broadcast equipment industry for a living where a large majority of the gear is manufactured by Sony. This Bluray player will be joining my Panasonic TH 42PWD7UY "enhanced definition" plasma which I've always been more than overly happy with where I watch disc based type movies only.I'm a Huge movie fan and love the extras that DVD has been getting better and better with.

So, People with this particular Phillips Bluray player chime in describing your setup and high definition movie experience so far
post #5 of 222 Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCITYOFHUE View Post

So, People with this particular Phillips Bluray player chime in describing your setup and high definition movie experience so far

Well, I have the Philips BDP9000 Blu-ray player, the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player, both going HDMI into my Panny AE900U 720p projector. They both have outstanding PQ, I own 16 HD-DVD's and 3 BD's (though that number will increase soon ) So far I have watched close to a dozen BD's, the best I have seen so far is Kingdom Of Heaven, which looked fantastic. On the audio side, I don't have anything to brag about (an out of date RCA 5.1 receiver), but I have been running both via digital optical, and they both sound great. The Philips works much closer to a standard DVD player than the HD-A1, plus you can stop and resume a movie anywhere in the disc. Glad I went format neutral, lots of HD movies out there to enjoy and lots more to come.
post #6 of 222 Old 01-10-2007, 06:01 PM

i have a tosh a1, and a phillips bdp9000. i agree with dwisniski that the bdp9000 acts more like a regular dvd player. it has fast load times, and stoping and resuming from wher you left off is nice. i have to give pq edge to the tosh. once bluray discs start coming in vc1 format, i am sure it will even things out. i like both formats, i am not partial to one or the the other. the only thing i dont like about the bdp9000 is the remote. it dosnt work very well.
post #7 of 222 Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

the only thing i dont like about the bdp9000 is the remote. it dosnt work very well.

The remote on the HD-A1 leaves a little to be desired as well (no backlighting, ...) but both are great machines despite the small irritations.
post #8 of 222 Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM

MODERATORS: this thread should be renamed official owner's thread and stickied, at the current $599 price it might get popular. im definitely interested.
post #9 of 222 Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't know anything about this player, but I have had bad experiences with Phillips. I got a dvd/vcr combo and 5 months later it started eating tapes said to use a dry cleaning tape, it ate that, called them and they said they would replace it for $10 less than a new one so I bought a new one from Samsung.

I would say the vcr side was used for about 200 hours the dvd player still worked, and just recently I have reached around 200 hours on the dvd player and its stopped reading disks, unplugging it for a couple hours fixed it for a while then it failed again and unplugging it didn't work so left it unplugged and took it apart and back together and its working right now, there isn't a fan or vents but its in an open area away from sunlight.

Read the reviews of it and many people have had the same problem (more people than anything I have seen except for maybe the cyberhome dvd recorder) and Phillips didn't seem to care.

It's been 3 years since I have gotten anything from Phillips.

Would like to know if this player works well and if there are problems if there customer service is a bit more helpful.
post #10 of 222 Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM

i bought my player from walmart as an open box. it was for the player only. no remote. i called phillips, and told them i had no remote. they sent me a replacement for FREE!!! to me this is the best cs i have ever dealt with
post #11 of 222 Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM

So far the player works great for me, I am actually surprised at how well it works! I bought this thinking if i didn't like it i would resell it quick, and I now have no such thoughts about reselling it. It's a great Blu-ray player for the price, and Philips just came out with a firmware upgrade for the machine. I highly recommend it.
post #12 of 222 Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Maybe this could be of some use; here is the English language user manual on-line:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/b/b...37_dfu_eng.pdf
post #13 of 222 Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

I picked one up from the Amazon site for the 599.00 price and also opted for the free shipping which got here to me in NY in only two days time. I think from Harrisburg, Pa. if your thinking of getting one and you live in the surrounding states?

My experience with the unit so far is poor. While the disc Black Hawk Down looks so fantastic it starting skipping or stuttering about 100min. into the film which got so bad I had to discontinue watching. Today I contacted Philips customer support and they suggested that I download the firmware update from their website.

I will keep you all posted
post #14 of 222 Old 01-13-2007, 02:29 PM

How is the audio on this player? CNET mentioned how limited it is audio-wise. Any change a firmware upgrade will allow the lossless codecs to be passed via HDMI?
post #15 of 222 Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon one click, must not press...
Damn you Amazon, one click pressed.
post #16 of 222 Old 01-15-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well,
I've spent my first weekend with this player and only one more disc to play other than my first pick-up "Black Hawk Down" and my let me tell you what a fantastic picture it produces. "The Brothers Grim", It's a much raved about title for picture quality and I must say that I agree. Simply astounding!

Back to my experience with the player acting up I can honestly say that I didnt notice a single stutter or skip throughout the play of the entire movie. I did contact Philips support the day after seeing the problem and was suggested by them to download the firmware update. Well, I have tried this twice already and have been unsuccesful so far to get the player to recognize upon inserting the disk. I'm stumped almost or am not using the specific burn program that they suggest when writing it onto disk?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated

PS, I had the chance to see my friends PS3 in performance with both World Trade Center and Mission Impossible, Wow is that fan loud even in a closed cabinet, I thought a harrier jet was coming into the attic! So far, I really enjoy the simple style appearance and quite operation noise of the Philips.
post #17 of 222 Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, looking at the Philips FW download, it is a zip file with an ISO image (CD image) inside it. You can't just burn the zip file or iso file to CD and insert it as the player doesn't recognize those. You need to burn the ISO file using Nero (in Advanced mode on the menu go to Recorder>Burn Image and select the ISO file) or a free program like ISO Recorder. The player will then recognize that disc.
post #18 of 222 Old 01-15-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can anyone give me a detailed comparison of the Samsung BDP1000 versus the Philips BDP9000? I haven't been able to find much of a comparison between the two on the web. I have found that they both cost about the same price so I'm trying to see which one might be better. I have posted this question on the BDP1000 owners thread and so far have not got a response so I thought I would try the Philips BDP9000 thread.

Thanks

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #19 of 222 Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can anyone give me a detailed comparison of the Samsung BDP1000 versus the Philips BDP9000? I haven't been able to find much of a comparison between the two on the web. I have found that they both cost about the same price so I'm trying to see which one might be better. I have posted this question on the BDP1000 owners thread and so far have not got a response so I thought I would try the Philips BDP9000 thread.

Thanks

My Sammy does not support TrueHD. So if you find out that the Philips does, I would go with it.

Philips makes good products. 2 of my 8 HDTVs and one of my receivers are Philips brands.

GEAUX SAINTS!
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints???

KEEP BOTH FORMATS ALIVE!
This translates to better PQ & AQ.
post #20 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 05:34 AM

Does the Philips do the Samsung trick of taking the 1080p from the disc,
interlacing to 1080i, then deinterlacing back to 1080p before outputting?
post #21 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

OK, looking at the Philips FW download, it is a zip file with an ISO image (CD image) inside it. You can't just burn the zip file or iso file to CD and insert it as the player doesn't recognize those. You need to burn the ISO file using Nero (in Advanced mode on the menu go to Recorder>Burn Image and select the ISO file) or a free program like ISO Recorder. The player will then recognize that disc.

Thanks for the advice dpags!

Since my last post and to also answer another question that someone had out there regarding Philips customer support. On this past Tuesday I recieved a follow up phone call from a Philips rep asking about my issue of the player triping up on the movie "Black Hawk Down"

I told him that I was having problems with the firmware download and he offered to mail me a copy to which I accepted yet have not yet gotten

I have also since purchased two other titles "Goodfellas" & "The Unforgiven" which both played perfectly all the way through. My do they look fantastic!
post #22 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 09:54 AM

I just spotted this at the local costco in Vancouver, BC. But they also want 999CAD for it too
post #23 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

mooshoo - $999 CDN does still seem expensive, but considering you get a lifetime Costco warranty on it, it doesn't seem like such a bad premium (for us in Canada where everything costs more).
post #24 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
For those of us in the states, what is CDN (CAD)?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #25 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoo View Post

I just spotted this at the local costco in Vancouver, BC. But they also want 999CAD for it too

Can you guys in Canada get stuff from Amazon US? They have it new for $599 I believe.
post #26 of 222 Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Yes CDN = Canadian.

Unfortunately, Amazon does not allow for the shipment of electronics to Canada. Books, CDs, DVDs etc. are fine though.

Besides, at $599US, the player actually costs us Canadians approx. $960 CDN when you factor in $50 for shipping, $80 UPS brokerage charge, 14% taxes and current exchange rate.

For approx. $178 CDN more, at least you get full CDN warranty and will have no problems returning or exchanging the player at Costco should anything go wrong. Heck, some people are buying this player at Costco right now as a stop gap measure until better models are released and will "return" the player a year from now with "problems" and upgrade to a new model.

I don't advocate this practice - but the Costco warranty itself can't be beat.
post #27 of 222 Old 01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I just recently purchased the Philips BDP9000. Here's my take to the best of my memory (which ain't necessarily all that good ):

First, my setup. I am running a receiver that has analog ins, component switching, DD5.1, DTS, etc decoding on both Spdif and Toslink.

I am running a Toshiba HD-A1 via analogs and have a dedicated HDMI port for it on a Samsung 5078 1080P. This is a first gen set and can only accept 1080i over component or HDMI. As you'll see later, it is important to note that this TV will not decode bitstream over HDMI.

So, my first experiment is to see how well the Toslink works since hooking up the analogs is a pain in the rear. Didn't read the manual (who does . Could have save myself some time). I'm only working with one Blu Ray title at this time, Black Hawk Down (BHD) which has DD5.1 and Lossless PCM 5.1

I set the output to bitstream, started the movie, selected DD5.1 in the movie's menu. No matter what I did I could not make the my reciever recoghnize the bitstream as DD5.1. It kept reporting Dolby Pro Logic and it sounded as such. This won't cut it on this player for Blu Ray titles.

Stopped the movie, selected Lossless PCM in the movie's menu and I got MUCH better sound. It was more to what I was used to with DD+ (sorry, forgot to see what the receiver was seeing). So now I'm think this is pretty cool. Wrong!

About 1 minute into the movie a nag screen came up from the BDP9000 saying something like "This TV does not support bitstream". Nag screen goes away AND I AM NOW WATCHING THE DIRECTORS COMMENTARY IN 4:3 ASPECT AND 2.0 STEREO. I tried resetting, same thing. Reset and skip further into the movie. Same thing.

This unit failed my Toslink test miserably and I was ready to send it back.

After sleeping on it, I decided to see how it will do using the analogs. So I connected the 5.1 analogs, switched to PCM, PCM downconverting was turned off, dynamic range off, and made sure each speaker was set up correctly and restarted with DD5.1 on BHD.

Finally I was hearing DD5.1. Stopped the movie and reset for Lossless PCM 5.1. What a difference. I let the moviw play for 5 minutes and did not see the nag screen again. Continued watching and A/B'ed the soundtrack using the audio button. There is a huge difference using lossless. The soundstage is wider, more pristene, has depth. Sounds nearly as good as TrueHD (dig intended ) and the DD5.1 sounded like DD5.1.

So now I am off to my next test which is to put an audio switch inline so I can switch between the A1 and 9000. I happen to have a spare Zektor 4-1 component switcher (going more with HDMI). I also have a 4-1 HDMI switcher that I will now use.

Bottom line, if I can get the Zektor to work I'll probably keep the unit. I'll use my A1 for upconverting and HD DVD and the 9000 only for Blu Ray titles I can't get in HD DVD. If I find anything else of interest I'll post back.

One thing to be aware of. This player will not play DTS at all,and only stereo from DD 5.1 over SPDIF/Toslink for a SD DVD when set to PCM. NNot sure if PCM is required for the analogs to work correctly but I do know that Bitstream created poblems for me. YMMV.

post #28 of 222 Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM

james,

It will play DTS at least with a digital connection via bitstream. I'm not sure if it will play via PCM as I use bitstream via a digital coaxial connection. Towards the back of the manual (well middle actually since I think it has other language versions afterwards) it lists everything it does via bitstream/PCM/various audio connections. I assume the information is accurate there. If I remember correctly, DTS doesn't work with the analog connections. But my memory is all vague, so don't quote me on any of this (But I do know for a fact that DTS works with the digital connections)
post #29 of 222 Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avor View Post

james,

It will play DTS at least with a digital connection via bitstream. I'm not sure if it will play via PCM as I use bitstream via a digital coaxial connection. Towards the back of the manual (well middle actually since I think it has other language versions afterwards) it lists everything it does via bitstream/PCM/various audio connections. I assume the information is accurate there. If I remember correctly, DTS doesn't work with the analog connections. But my memory is all vague, so don't quote me on any of this (But I do know for a fact that DTS works with the digital connections)

Thanks Avor. What you say is correct if you use component connections to your TV (is that what you are using?). The problem I have is I tried Toslink to the receiver and HDMI to my TV. It worked, for about a 1 min, then it gave me the nag screeen as in my previous post. I am seeing a HDMI handshake problem on the audio when the audio is connected via Toslink. If I was connected via component to my TV there is no way I would see the nag screen.

I've only played with one title though. I try some others (just got a couple more). In any event, as long as the disc has 5.1 LPCM I'm good to go!

I still have more experimenting to do. I think I know what is going on but I want to verify that before I post it.
post #30 of 222 Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
For fellow Canadians, I don't know how true this is, but according to Costco employees (plural) both their Canadian offerings of HD DVD (RCA) and BD (Philips) are NOT warrantied by their respective Canadian service centres. Meaning, if the unit is broken, you can only take it back to Costco. If it is past the 1-year warranty period, I know for a fact that Philips Canada will NOT touch the unit for paid repair (a'la Nikon Canada)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page