IR solution for the PS3, for those of us with learning remotes - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 229 Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am confused as there seems to be conflictiing reports... does this remote work within the XMB. I know it can't bring it up as there is no PS button... but I am wondering if I can use my harmony to control playback of audio/music files on my PS3 using this "dongle" (Don't know why but that word makes me laugh... sounds like how I'm hanging).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 229 Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

I am confused as there seems to be conflictiing reports... does this remote work within the XMB. I know it can't bring it up as there is no PS button... but I am wondering if I can use my harmony to control playback of audio/music files on my PS3 using this "dongle" (Don't know why but that word makes me laugh... sounds like how I'm hanging).

Yes it works fine in the XMB.
post #93 of 229 Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

Yes it works fine in the XMB.

And IIRC correctly, the remotecentral solution does not work in the XMB? If so, this is definitely an upgrade from the remotecentral solution. Question is if this is just IR codes or its the IR dongle (or both) that are allowing XMB functionality.

If anyone has a pronto with all these IR codes learned that would be great until i get my hands on one. I could also tet these codes with the old IR workaround to see if a new purchase is even needed.

As for the double codes sent by the PS2 remote, cant they be edited to prevent that?
post #94 of 229 Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post

And IIRC correctly, the remotecentral solution does not work in the XMB? ....

XMB navigation with the USB/PS2 dongle solution is possible since the 1.8 PS3 f/w update.
____
Axel

post #95 of 229 Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

XMB navigation with the USB/PS2 dongle solution is possible since the 1.8 PS3 f/w update.
____
Axel

ooooohhh! yay!
post #96 of 229 Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Could I use it to teach a Universal MX-3000 remote? Would someone be able to create .rcc files that this remote could use?

Thanks!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #97 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
for the nyko remote, what functions besides eject are missing? i read one guy earlier said there were no Audio and Pop Up Menu buttons, those 2 buttons are rather important and would be deal breakers for me.
post #98 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I have the remote.

It has buttons for:

Select
Start
Options
Back
View
X
Display
Top Menu
REW
FFW
Play
Pause
Scan- (Chapt -)
Scan+ (Chapt +)
Stop
L1
L2
L3
R1
R2
R3

It does not have buttons for audio and popup menu.

post #99 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe, just maybe, Sony is realizing the need for IR and the 1.80 update which allows directionals in the XMB is a sign of better things to come and we will see IR codes for all relevant functions down the line.
post #100 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM

I am having a problem with using the directional buttons in XMB. everytime I hit a direction it moves 3 times. I have tried re-learning the codes many times with no luck. Any one else experiance this or have a solution?
post #101 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The repeating is what the Sony PS2 remote does even when you use it to program another remote like the Remotecentral.com USB/PS2 dongle solution. What remote did you learn the codes from it the wave or a PS2 remote?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #102 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

The repeating is what the Sony PS2 remote does even when you use it to program another remote like the Remotecentral.com USB/PS2 dongle solution. What remote did you learn the codes from it the wave or a PS2 remote?

I learned the codes from the Wave to the Harmony 880.
post #103 of 229 Old 06-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userx View Post

I am having a problem with using the directional buttons in XMB. everytime I hit a direction it moves 3 times. I have tried re-learning the codes many times with no luck. Any one else experiance this or have a solution?

Ok, well I finally got everything working. It took about 12 try's to get the directional buttons working right in the XMB. I guess you have to hit them just right. A few of the other buttons took several tries as well.
post #104 of 229 Old 06-24-2007, 05:10 PM

What's XMB?
post #105 of 229 Old 06-24-2007, 05:17 PM

XMB = Cross Media Bar.......the main interface for the PS3.
post #106 of 229 Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone done codes for an MX-950 or newer URC remote?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #107 of 229 Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I learned the codes from the Wave to the Harmony 880.

Is there a way to get Harmony to put these codes in their database?
post #108 of 229 Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I was browsing at Game Stop and saw a Mad Catz PS2 IR/remote for 4 bucks. Coupled with an ASD (asidtech) PS2 to USB adapter from Frys that has the PS button on it's side. The PS2 to USB would still have utility being used for my old PS2 controllers, I suppose, and the Mad Catz was only 4 bucks so I'm not really feeling that "out of it if/when I ever get a Blu-wave or better IR solution...

I did a learn command with my Harmony 720 and they seem to work but it seems like they're coming in "bursts" of 2 or 3 (or more!) from the Harmony at a time. For example, i'll hit play nad it will pause, play, pause, play, pause even though in the learning step I just tapped it on the Mad Catz for a couple seconds.... There's no way to "break down" the commands in the Harmony software is there?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #109 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ok, well I finally got everything working. It took about 12 try's to get the directional buttons working right in the XMB. I guess you have to hit them just right. A few of the other buttons took several tries as well.

When you say you got everything working, you have the XMB working? Can you explain in detail how you accomplished this? What remote are you using an Harmony 880?
post #110 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

When you say you got everything working, you have the XMB working? Can you explain in detail how you accomplished this? What remote are you using an Harmony 880?

Yes, I have XMB working, XMB worked right from the start but evertime I hit a directonal button it would move 3 spaces in either direction. I kept re- learning the directional commands until I got the desiered results, I tried short taps and long but in the end I am not really shure exactly which ones worked the best. I would get the up button working they way I wanted and then re-learned the other three, ect, until I had all four working properly. It took me about an hour from start to finish to get everything working right. The only small problem I see is that it's now one press for one move, you cant hold down the button and have it scroll fast like on the PS controller.

I am using the Harmony 880
post #111 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Yes, I have XMB working, XMB worked right from the start but evertime I hit a directonal button it would move 3 spaces in either direction. I kept re- learning the directional commands until I got the desiered results, I tried short taps and long but in the end I am not really shure exactly which ones worked the best. I would get the up button working they way I wanted and then re-learned the other three, ect, until I had all four working properly. It took me about an hour from start to finish to get everything working right. The only small problem I see is that it's now one press for one move, you cant hold down the button and have it scroll fast like on the PS controller.

I am using the Harmony 880

I had the same problem with my Harmony - but there is an easy fix. Just to go the Harmony program. Choose troubleshoot, it will show you a bunch of choices, choose the "show more choices" or something like that - it is the last one in the list. Then it will show you more problem scenarios. You have to choose the one that says that the device is not getting all the commands, then you have to choose that your device is acting too fast like the volume goes up really fast. Then it will come up with a screen that has a bunch of radio buttons with numbers. The preselected choice was "3" or something like that for me. I chose "0". Saved and updated the remote and now it works perfectly.
post #112 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Is there a way to get Harmony to put these codes in their database?

I think that users can upload codes into the database but I am unfamilliar with how to do that. I belive you would have to set up the blue-wave remote as it's own device.
post #113 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I had the same problem with my Harmony - but there is an easy fix. Just to go the Harmony program. Choose troubleshoot, it will show you a bunch of choices, choose the "show more choices" or something like that - it is the last one in the list. Then it will show you more problem scenarios. You have to choose the one that says that the device is not getting all the commands, then you have to choose that your device is acting too fast like the volume goes up really fast. Then it will come up with a screen that has a bunch of radio buttons with numbers. The preselected choice was "3" or something like that for me. I chose "0". Saved and updated the remote and now it works perfectly.

I just setup my 880 with the Nyko. The default was 3 and I moved it to 0 based on your recommendation and it's worked fine since the first shot at programming. I even moved the speed/repeat up to 2 and it's working perfect.
post #114 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks, thats good to know, I wish I knew about that function before I spent an hour programing it ....lol.
post #115 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That didn't help for my contraption method, but i'm hoping the Blu-wave and/or Code 3 will work better.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #116 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

So in a nutshell, this is a Harmony 880 remote solution using USB infra-red and the NYKO for learning purposes?
post #117 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post

So in a nutshell, this is a Harmony 880 remote solution using USB infra-red and the NYKO for learning purposes?

Yes. I already have the Sony Bluetooth remote. The only reason I bought the Nyko is for a one remote Harmony solution. Having a separate Nyko remote is useless. In fact, I wish someone would just sell a USB-infrared adapter by itself and sony supports a nice list of functions for universal remote users.
post #118 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. I already have the Sony Bluetooth remote. The only reason I bought the Nyko is for a one remote Harmony solution. Having a separate Nyko remote is useless. In fact, I wish someone would just sell a USB-infrared adapter by itself and sony supports a nice list of functions for universal remote users.

Excellent. This is the solution I was looking for!
Bumbling around with the Sixaxis last night was a nightmare watching Flyboys.

I do agree all we need is the silly adapter. Ah well, at least it's only $20.
post #119 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

can save a few bucks ordering it directly from beachaudio.com
post #120 of 229 Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I got it for $13.99 free shipping from amazon while they still had them.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page