Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 229 Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
http://www.remotecentral.com/articles/ps3-ir-remote.htm

I've already ordered the remote and adaptor off Ebay, under $20 for both shipped!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 229 Old 03-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just make sure you get the remote with the separate IR receiver unit. Some of the remotes didn't come with them since some PS2s have IR built in.
post #3 of 229 Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I'm currently using this setup, - IR and Harmony remote for my PS3, and it works well. Much better than that AWFUL Bluetooth remote.

Only downside really is that you can't button press as fast as you can with Bluetooth, as the IR has a bit of lag. Other than that, I HIGHLY recommend doing this.
post #4 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got one of those Playstation-to-USB-PC-Adapter-PS2-PSX-PS1-DDR-Converter off eBay (AVS does not allow me to post the link but it is item # 330099418725).

As soon as I plug its USB connector into the PS3, the PS3 no longer responds to the SIXAXIS commands nor to the PS2 remote control if I also connect the IR receiver to the converter.

After I unplug the converter the SIXAXIS works fine again. I tried all 4 USB ports to no avail.

Any idea what is wrong? Is the converter bad?
TIA!
_____
Axel

post #5 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the same thing happened to me, and I got a different type of convertor(mine is black, looks like a Y cable). I guess now we need to find the exact adaptor he used in that article. Plus mine had 2 PS2 inputs, as did the one you tried, where the one in the article has only one input, that may be screwing something with the PS3 up.

I kept messing around with it, and eventually the PS3 responded to one of the dozen button presses I did on the PS2 remote, so I could see another adaptor working.

EDIT: That must be the key, found the one they used, and it's more expensive than the cheap ones off Ebay. http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=5810257

Snake Plissken

post #6 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, if I understand you correctly that your adapter does not work either. Could you post a link for yours?

I tried the P/N from D. Tonks' article but my Google search came up empty. I also tried a manual search at RadioShack, without much luck (I can never find anything on their website!). Does RS still offer such an adapter?
D. Tonks mentioned that the RS/s US version of this adapter is much smaller, which I would not mind...

TIA!
____
Axel

post #7 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you think is the converter has to be one with only one port? If so, eBay item# 170092127055 could work..

Could anybody please post a link or P/N for a working converter?
TIA!
____
Axel

post #8 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The item number for the one I bought is #300088319229. Radio Shack doesn't seem to have the adaptor used in the article, but thesource.com does(their the Canadian Radio Shack), but they don't ship to the U.S. And they seem to be only place that sells THAT adaptor. So I guess we're SOL with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Do you think is the converter has to be one with only one port? If so, eBay item# 170092127055 could work.

Thats my best guess, but who really knows. Needs more experimentation, unless someone has a working solution.

Snake Plissken

post #9 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It's interesting that people are having trouble with the PS2 to USB adapters. I may be having a problem, too. I have no issues with Resistance (my only bought game) or GT:HD, but I just downloaded Hot Shots Golf 5 demo JPN, and for some reason my controls are all over the place with the USB adapter connected. Now, I literally just deleted the demo to redownload it before I thought about the USB adapter perhaps causing this issue, so I'll report back, but my USB adapter is the one that looks like a Y, with 2 PS2 ports on it.

I'll report back if it IS the cause of the problem. Just seems odd that ONLY Hot Shots 5 causes this issue if it turns out to be the case...

Also, I had removed the IR receiver, so this is (perhaps) a problem even with the IR receiver removed!
post #10 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM

I wish all the buttons worked (or at least the D-pad did) on the XMB. As it is now, only the triangle, circle, square, and cross buttons actually do anything. Plus there's no way to emulate the "PS" button is there?
post #11 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

RustyC;
Sounds like your IR remote works. Which adapter do you use? Does it have one or two ports? Please post a link if you could.

Thanks!
____
Axel

post #12 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I'm currently using this setup, - IR and Harmony remote for my PS3, and it works well. Much better than that AWFUL Bluetooth remote.

What's so AWFUL about the remote? It's a remote like all my other remotes. I really can't imagine what's so terrible that it inspires that kind of response. Other than the fact that it doesn't need line of site - it pretty much operates like any other remote I've ever owned. . .
post #13 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It's interesting that people are having trouble with the PS2 to USB adapters. I may be having a problem, too. I have no issues with Resistance (my only bought game) or GT:HD, but I just downloaded Hot Shots Golf 5 demo JPN, and for some reason my controls are all over the place with the USB adapter connected. Now, I literally just deleted the demo to redownload it before I thought about the USB adapter perhaps causing this issue, so I'll report back, but my USB adapter is the one that looks like a Y, with 2 PS2 ports on it.

I'll report back if it IS the cause of the problem. Just seems odd that ONLY Hot Shots 5 causes this issue if it turns out to be the case...

Also, I had removed the IR receiver, so this is (perhaps) a problem even with the IR receiver removed!

What adaptor do you have exactly(link)? You don't seem to have trouble with movies.

Snake Plissken

post #14 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. View Post

What's so AWFUL about the remote? It's a remote like all my other remotes. I really can't imagine what's so terrible that it inspires that kind of response. Other than the fact that it doesn't need line of site - it pretty much operates like any other remote I've ever owned. . .

The buttons are small and impossible to tell apart in the dark, the ink on the buttons will wear off with repeated use (as it did with my PS2 DVD remote), the buttons aren't backlit, also making it hard to use in the dark and it can only control the PS3.

That said, I picked up the Radioshack USB dongle and have had mixed results. It defaults to controller 1 (meaning that I have to reassign my sixaxis to 1 to play anything), and the directional buttons don't work at all. So the only commands the PS3 recognizes from the PS2 remote are the main game buttons, start (which is pause/play), and the top trigger buttons (which controls fast forward, rewind, and scene skip). Annoying, but it works reasonably well once the movie is started.
post #15 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

That said, I picked up the Radioshack USB dongle and have had mixed results. It defaults to controller 1 (meaning that I have to reassign my sixaxis to 1 to play anything), and the directional buttons don't work at all. So the only commands the PS3 recognizes from the PS2 remote are the main game buttons, start (which is pause/play), and the top trigger buttons (which controls fast forward, rewind, and scene skip). Annoying, but it works reasonably well once the movie is started.

Could you please post the p/n for your RS dongle?

From D.Tonks website:
Here's what works:

Remote Button PS3/BD Command
Up Up
Down Down
Left Left
Right Right
Triangle* Options Menu
Circle* Quit Player
Square* BD Menu
Cross* Enter
L1 Previous Chapter
L2 Scan +
R1 Next Chapter
R2 Scan -
Select Display
Start Pause

Are you getting less?
____
Axel

post #16 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:

RustyC;
Sounds like your IR remote works. Which adapter do you use? Does it have one or two ports? Please post a link if you could.

I use the radio shack adapter. It just has one port. Catalog #: 26-729. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #17 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post

I use the radio shack adapter. It just has one port. Catalog #: 26-729. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Thanks much! Even better, my local stores supposedly have it stock.
It's already too late to still get tonight but I'll see if I can swing by tomorrow.

Thanks again!
____
Axel

post #18 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

What adaptor do you have exactly(link)? You don't seem to have trouble with movies.

I got it from ebay. It's a black one in the shape of a Y and has 2 ports for PS2 controllers. It's probably the most common one on there.

Looks like this:

http://cgi.*********/NEW-PS2-TO-PC-U...QQcmdZViewItem

replace the **** with e b a y . c o m

No idea why that's bad to post *********, but I'm sure someone will have some reason.
post #19 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. View Post

I absolutely abhor the remote. The play/pause/stop buttons are in the wrong order for one thing. Why the heck is stop beneath play, with pause at the bottom? It's just a pain in the arse to have an extra remote when my Harmony does everything.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I fixed my Hot Shots Golf 5 issue by re-downloading the demo.

And my adapter works perfectly, so I'd go with that one.
post #20 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent, I'll give it a try!

Snake Plissken

post #21 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks William;
I'll try the RS one tomorrow. If this one does not work I'll go with the eBay version.

Looks like all is well now!
____
Axel

post #22 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks William;
I'll try the RS one tomorrow. If this one does not work I'll go with the eBay version.

Looks like all is well now!
____
Axel

I await your report on the RS one before I order the Ebay version.

Snake Plissken

post #23 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Mine from radio shack looks like this one except it's black and doesn't have graphics. Only about 9 inches long from end to end.

http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=...tegory_code=PC
post #24 of 229 Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What happened with the RS version? Its available at my local store but I don't want to buy it if it don't work. I already wasted my time with the two port one and it freezes up the siaxis as mentioned above...
post #25 of 229 Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM

I picked up a Radio Shack one and it didnt immediately work with my Harmony 880. Im not sure if maybe I selected the wrong Playstation 2 dvd player as one is a slim line and Im not sure if the commands are different. Its also the small black one that couldnt be longer than 9 inches. I wish there was a much simpler way to have this work
post #26 of 229 Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a brief update:

I got the converter from RS today. It looks like the one RustyC described in his post.

Good new is that the PS3 did not lock up when I plugged the converter in. I also got a few very basic commands to work (play, pause, chapter jump, etc.).

On the downside the remote did not allow me to navigate in the XMB, nor within the screen menu. Can anybody please post their findings if this should work or not? If the latter, I am strongly considering returning the PS3, as I would always need the sixaxis to start the movie. Not good!

I only had the chance to play with it a bit so more testing is needed. Overall it has been a bit disappointing. The IR control functionally seems to be very limited. I hope I am wrong. I am also still hoping that an upcoming PS3 firmware upgrade would implement a much better IR support. How about an IR/USB dongle that has the same capabilities as the sixaxis, at least in regards to navigation and DVD control?
_____
Axel

post #27 of 229 Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've just won one of the USB adaptors that WilliamG uses, so when that gets here I'll post the results. Even if thats no good, I wouldn't return the PS3 just yet, it's very possible a third party will release a dedicated IR remote(perhaps with an IR reciever that sticks in a USB slot perhaps).

Snake Plissken

post #28 of 229 Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good new is that the PS3 did not lock up when I plugged the converter in. I also got a few very basic commands to work (play, pause, chapter jump, etc.).

On the downside the remote did not allow me to navigate in the XMB, nor within the screen menu. Can anybody please post their findings if this should work or not? If the latter, I am strongly considering returning the PS3, as I would always need the sixaxis to start the movie. Not good!

Axel

From the article (linked in first post) you cannot navigate the XMB with the remote. It is of limited function only...so I assume that indeed it is working correctly.

However - you can set up the PS3 to autoplay a disc so for DVD playback you should be good to go.

In anycase - I picked up the adaptor since you've confirmed it works. I'll give it a go with the Harmony.
post #29 of 229 Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

From the article (linked in first post) you cannot navigate the XMB with the remote. It is of limited function only...so I assume that indeed it is working correctly.

However - you can set up the PS3 to autoplay a disc so for DVD playback you should be good to go.

In anycase - I picked up the adaptor since you've confirmed it works. I'll give it a go with the Harmony.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I need to find this autoplay feature in the PS3 menu and activate it. That should help.

Please let us know how the IR adapter works for you.
____
Axel

post #30 of 229 Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. Now I need to find this autoplay feature in the PS3 menu and activate it. That should help.

Please let us know how the IR adapter works for you.
____
Axel

So far it isn't working at all. I don't think its the Radio Shack I bought this PS2 remote on ebay and I believe it is the problem - but - in truth I have no idea.

item # is 270096123211
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page