post #361 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

If you are referring to internal decoding of lossless codecs - No - Samsung has made no such announcement, nor is one soon expected. If you are referring to passing the bitstream to a AVR for decoding via HDMI 1.3 - it already has that ability.

Really??? Sorry to sound like a noob. But I was lead to believe that the Samsung didn't pass these codecs via bitstream for the avr to decode. Wow, this is great. I'm buying one .

Making the most out of what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Repost from previous thread...

Blu-ray output quality, based on benchmarks from Kris Deering and sspears:

1. Samsung BD-P1200
1. Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1
1. Sony BDP-S1
4. Panasonic DMP-BD10 (with 2.0 firmware)
5. Sony PS3
6. Panasonic DMP-BD10 (pre-2.0 firmware)
7. Samsung BD-P1000

The Pioneer, Samsung, and Sony are all ranked #1 because Kris Deering -- who conducted benchmarks -- said their output on movies was identical / indistinguishable. He said picture quality offered by those players "can't be any better" and can't be improved upon, with full resolution for luma and chroma, no CUE, no pixel cropping, and no clipping. Every other player is a step down. It's possible we'll see internal decoder improvements in the future that yield a slightly improved picture in some specific circumstances, but that's not something that would show up in a benchmark.

The output on the BD-P1200 and Sony BDP-S1 should be identical -- as far as you can tell with eyes -- on Blu-ray movies. Both are an improvement over the old Samsung BD-P1000. The BD-P1200 offers the highest quality DVD playback; it is also the only player to correctly deinterlace and output Blu-ray music / concert titles as 1080p.

Update

One could easily misinterpret the above ratings and conclude that there are significant differences in the output quality of these players. Blu-ray is a 1080p source, so it's going to look pretty damn good, regardless of the player. The player would have to do something seriously wrong for you to see comparatively poor output on a quality Blu-ray title.

As a practical matter, you aren't likely to see much, if any, difference between these players with a 50" screen viewed from 10 feet. The differences are most appreciable on much larger displays and front projection systems.

If you were to restate performance on a scale of 1-10 (10=best, 1=worst), the ratings might be more like this:
Code:
10.0 Samsung BD-P1200
10.0 Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1
10.0 Sony BDP-S1
 9.8 Panasonic DMP-BD10 (with 2.0 firmware)
 9.7 Sony PS3
 9.5 Panasonic DMP-BD10 (pre-2.0 firmware)
 9.0 Samsung BD-P1000
These values are meant to illustrate a point. They should not be taken as definitive ratings on performance.

If you have a larger display and want to be absolutely sure that you are getting the best possible picture quality, then you choose one of the first three players. Then again, if you want Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD decoding, you may be willing to trade a little bit of picture quality -- which you won't even notice on most displays -- for those audio capabilities.

bfdtv - How would you rank them based on the tests and user reports thus far re SD-DVD upscaling ability?

P.s. I wanted to let you know that your contributions to this forum are well-appreciated by those of us who have grown accustomed to your objectivity and knowledge.

Go Duke !
post #363 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Really??? Sorry to sound like a noob. But I was lead to believe that the Samsung didn't pass these codecs via bitstream for the avr to decode. Wow, this is great. I'm buying one .

Of course you need an HDMI 1.3 capable AVR with support for the codecs, which is hard to come by today.
post #364 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

That's something Samsung has said they will support. The product is very new, so it's not known whether the current firmware has that support or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

bfdtv - How would you rank them based on the tests and user reports thus far re SD-DVD upscaling ability?

P.s. I wanted to let you know that your contributions to this forum are well-appreciated by those of us who have grown accustomed to your objectivity and knowledge.

I can't take credit for the information. Kris Deering and Stacey Spears are the members that have run all the objective tests / benchmarks and compared these players; I simply summarized it in a table. The only players I've had in my home are the Samsung BD-P1000, Panasonic DMP-BD10, and Sony PS3.

Kris Deering has tested the DVD playback on a number of these players. You can find the full test results right here (warning: bandwidth intensive). He has not yet tested the Samsung BD-P1200, so all we have are subjective reviews of its DVD output, rather than objective benchmarks. The DVD playback scores for the Blu-ray players tested are as follows (higher=better).

Code:
Home Theater Fidelity DVD Benchmark Results

xx Samsung BD-P1200
 78 Panasonic DMP-BD10
 xx Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1
 72 Sony BDP-S1
 71 Samsung BD-P1000
 61 Sony PS3
He did test the DVD playback of the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player -- which uses the same Silicon Optix ReonVX processing as the Samsung BD-P1200 -- and found it to best the DVD playback of the Oppo players, which you find at the top of the chart. [He submitted the results to the site, but they aren't yet posted.] We can probably expect the Samsung BD-P1200 to deliver comparable results.
post #365 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I knew the source info didn't come from you - but your ability to correctly summarize what Kris/Stacey have done + user reports is still valuable. That's why I asked about upscaling - Kris comments on it but doesn't numerically gauge it (that I recall). Many users do comment though, and your synopsis in that regard is appreciated, much like a Rich Harkness plasma evaluation.

Quit being so humble!

I have the XA-2 - it is really sweet.

Go Duke !
post #366 of 6049 Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 PM

I've had my BD-P1200 for three days now and I have no complaints about picture quality, but it does have some annoying quirks. I'm sending the signal to a Panasonic PT-AX100, through HDMI, and routing optical audio to the receiver. Whenever I start a disk, or switch chapters, I get an window displaying "HDMI audio not supported." Does anyone know how to shut this off? I've tried every audio setting in the menu without effect. The other thing that bothers me is that it stretches 4:3 images at all resolutions except 480p, where my projector will display it properly. Does anyone know how to force it to pillar box the image at higher resolutions? The projector does not have that option above 480p, so it has to be set in the player if possible.
post #367 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

That's something Samsung has said they will support. The product is very new, so it's not known whether the current firmware has that support or not.

I guess I've missed these discussions. Was it mentioned in a CES video or thread?

I didn't really pay attention until Onkyo announced their Dts-HD MA receivers.

I know HDMI 1.3 CAN carry the full bitstream, but does the Sammy do this?

I hope someone can check this out with the Onkyo's.
post #368 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkihara View Post

I've had my BD-P1200 for three days now and I have no complaints about picture quality, but it does have some annoying quirks. I'm sending the signal to a Panasonic PT-AX100, through HDMI, and routing optical audio to the receiver. Whenever I start a disk, or switch chapters, I get an window displaying "HDMI audio not supported." Does anyone know how to shut this off? I've tried every audio setting in the menu without effect. The other thing that bothers me is that it stretches 4:3 images at all resolutions except 480p, where my projector will display it properly. Does anyone know how to force it to pillar box the image at higher resolutions? The projector does not have that option above 480p, so it has to be set in the player if possible.

Try going into the setup menu, and turn off the on screen displays. That worked for me, when I was having the problem. It will also turn off the arrows that pop up when skipping and fast forwarding.

Phil
post #369 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I can tell you first hand that the DVD upconversion on this unit is really clean. My TV said it was 1080p when playing a DVD. I tried South Park Season 9 (Because I downloaded an EP on Live marketplace in HD) and it was very close in quality. Next I tried EP III and again it was very clean...the unconversion of this unit is really good. I also had my unit set for 24p and didn't have to switch it off when putting in a DVD which someone had mentioned having to do.

See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu-Ray Tier Thread Today.
Viewing Movies at 1080p/24 on a Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" Plasma TV and a Blu-Ray Player. Viewing Distance:7-10ft.
post #370 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSTI View Post

I also had my unit set for 24p and didn't have to switch it off when putting in a DVD which someone had mentioned having to do.

They had to switch it off because their plasma display didn't support 1080p60. When you choose 1080p24 output on the Samsung, Blu-ray disks are output as 1080p24 and DVDs are output as 1080p60. [No player will output 1080p24 on DVDs.] There aren't separate settings for DVD and Blu-ray.

Samsung could improve usability with Pioneer 768p plasmas by separating the settings for DVD and Blu-ray playback. Perhaps something they will do with a future firmware update, if enough customers demand it.
post #371 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Gotcha - this 'switching' was a concern for me but now its not a concern at all since my tv supports 1080p/24 and 60.

See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu-Ray Tier Thread Today.
Viewing Movies at 1080p/24 on a Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" Plasma TV and a Blu-Ray Player. Viewing Distance:7-10ft.
post #372 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 AM

I have had my BD-P1200 for about a week and a half now and have discovered an isssue. I was watching the SD version of "Night at The Museum" and every so often it would glitch and the sound and picture would drop out for a few seconds. Also a couple times the sound would not match the lips afterward but a quick pause and play sequence would seem to reset that problem. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Does anyone have any advice (bad disc or player)? I am using a Sammy LN-T4065F 1080P LCD with a Monster 400 cable. Any help is apprecieated becuse I only have about a week left to return to Dell.

THANKS!!

ps. That movie was hilarious!!
post #373 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have to relay something you all might find interesting

I have been a supporter of HD-DVD and have been waiting for X-A2 prices to come down and for firmware ugrades to appear preinstalled.

Today I was in a BB and saw a BD-1200 demo running. I have to say, I have never seen a better picture on any player anywhere, BD or HD

If Samsung's upcoming dual format player has the Silicon Optics chip, that could be just awesome.
post #374 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan View Post

I have to relay something you all might find interesting

I have been a supporter of HD-DVD and have been waiting for X-A2 prices to come down and for firmware ugrades to appear preinstalled.

Today I was in a BB and saw a BD-1200 demo running. I have to say, I have never seen a better picture on any player anywhere, BD or HD

If Samsung's upcoming dual format player has the Silicon Optics chip, that could be just awesome.

It will use the Faroudja instead to keep the price down.
post #375 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkihara View Post

Try turning off the Anynet+ option in the HDMI menu to solve the HDMI errors and let me know. There's something wrong when this feature is on for all HDMI connections even when using the Monoprice HDMI switcher.
post #376 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfny View Post

I have had my BD-P1200 for about a week and a half now and have discovered an isssue. I was watching the SD version of "Night at The Museum" and every so often it would glitch and the sound and picture would drop out for a few seconds. Also a couple times the sound would not match the lips afterward but a quick pause and play sequence would seem to reset that problem. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Does anyone have any advice (bad disc or player)? I am using a Sammy LN-T4065F 1080P LCD with a Monster 400 cable. Any help is apprecieated becuse I only have about a week left to return to Dell.

THANKS!!

ps. That movie was hilarious!!

There have been a bynch of complaints about HDMI audio and video dropouts with the new Samsung LNTxx61/65/66 LCD TVs over in the LCD TV forum so you'll probably want to check over there.
post #377 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post

It will use the Faroudja instead to keep the price down.

Bummer! Thanks for the heads up.
post #378 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post

Did anyone else get a 24.99 charge from VE? I placed my order on the 19'th, and then noticed a small charge on the 25'th. I'm wondering if that was done to make sure the CC was valid/working. Still no official word that anything has shipped. I guess I'll give them until Monday... I'm astounded by my own patience!

Don't know about the charge you mentioned, I'll have to check my order. I ordered mine on the 25th of this month and the next day I checked my e-mail, just confermation the got my order. I was hoping for a tracking order, but none, so I called. The lady I talked with said the units they were to recieve on friday the 27th had already been allocated and that mine would be shipped at the end of next week...May 3rd or 4th. When your order is shipped you should recieve and e-mail with a tracking order. Call them and ask ( 800 ) 789-5050
post #379 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88 View Post

I saw piles of them in Best Buy, so I don't think they're too rare.

Was at Best Buy yesterday here in San Diego and they are on sale for $749.99 if you call $50.00 off FULL M.S.R.P. a sale But I ordered mine from Robert at Value Electronics for $100.00 cheaper than Best Buys sale price. Thanks Robert.
post #380 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 06:59 PM

[quote=bfdtv]They had to switch it off because their plasma display didn't support 1080p60. When you choose 1080p24 output on the Samsung, Blu-ray disks are output as 1080p24 and DVDs are output as 1080p60. [No player will output 1080p24 on DVDs.] There aren't separate settings for DVD and Blu-ray.

This brought a question to mind. As I have not recieved my 1200 yet from VE, I can't test this out...here is my question. My tv is a Toshiba 56" DLP, model 56HM195. It's 1080i and upconverts to 1080p.If I was to select 1080p24 or 1080i24 ( if available on the 1200 ) INSTEAD of 1080p60 for my BD movies, would I get a better picture ?
post #381 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post

This brought a question to mind. As I have not recieved my 1200 yet from VE, I can't test this out...here is my question. My tv is a Toshiba 56" DLP, model 56HM195. It's 1080i and upconverts to 1080p.If I was to select 1080p24 or 1080i24 ( if available on the 1200 ) INSTEAD of 1080p60 for my BD movies, would I get a better picture ?

It all depends on what your display can handle and how it handles it. If your display deinterlaces properly, as far as picture quality/resolution is concerned, then you are not going to tell the difference between 1080i coming in, or 1080p. If it can take 24hz input, and display it at some multiple of that (like 48, 72 or 96) then you will want the sammy to output 24hz... because the motion will be smoother. If the movie has to be displayed at 60hz, then 3:2 pulldown has to get introduced somewhere, and things will not be as smooth.

post #382 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

They had to switch it off because their plasma display didn't support 1080p60. When you choose 1080p24 output on the Samsung, Blu-ray disks are output as 1080p24 and DVDs are output as 1080p60. [No player will output 1080p24 on DVDs.] There aren't separate settings for DVD and Blu-ray.

Your Toshiba does not accept 1080p60 or 1080p24 input. You'll need to set the Samsung BD-P1200 to output 1080i.
post #383 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM

So far things have been pretty good with this player, but tonight while watching "Deja Vu" (brand new) the pic froze twice. I was able to navigate backwords and then back to the part and the second time it played through with no problem. Very odd, I don't really understand why it didn't freeze the second time in the same spot.

Any ideas?
post #384 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Was at Best Buy yesterday here in San Diego and they are on sale for $749.99 if you call $50.00 off FULL M.S.R.P. a sale But I ordered mine from Robert at Value Electronics for $100.00 cheaper than Best Buys sale price. Thanks Robert.

Actually price was 759.99, i was told they only suppose to carry 3unit/store
and theyre not suppose to be selling it yet.
first store i went to was sold out so i have them call other store to see if they have 1
in stock. was told there was 1 left in chula vista so i told them to hold it for me.
Got a 12% discount in the mail and 18mo. 0 interest on my BB card so i'm happy.
don't have to wait. could have gotten it a lot cheaper at dell using my 10% coupon
but just don't have the patient to wait.
I think these player is a keeper.
post #385 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share our take on the new Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-ray player.

Appearantly, I can't post a link directly to the review because I haven't posted enough messages on AVS.

The review can be found on the CANADA HiFi website - in the news blog on the home page. Google "CANADA HiFi" to find our website, the website address is also in my signature below.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could reply to this post with a link directly to the review.

Suave Kajko
Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
CANADA HiFi Magazine
http://www.canadahifi.com

President
Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show (TAVES)
http://www.taveshow.com
post #386 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #387 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..they are on sale for $749.99 if you call $50.00 off FULL M.S.R.P. a sale

Amazon still lists MSRP as $999 for this unit, so you can get a "great deal" of 20% off list from them. Really insulting.
post #388 of 6049 Old 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrunow View Post

So far things have been pretty good with this player, but tonight while watching "Deja Vu" (brand new) the pic froze twice. I was able to navigate backwords and then back to the part and the second time it played through with no problem. Very odd, I don't really understand why it didn't freeze the second time in the same spot.

Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me while watching the same title with this player.
post #389 of 6049 Old 04-29-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

http://www.canadahifi.com/reviews.php

Where is the audio review?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #390 of 6049 Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrunow View Post

Any ideas?

It may be limited to the "Deja Vu" disc. Have you tried any others????

If you can narrow it down to the player and not the disc, I'd return it. Sometimes, the promise of a future firmware release can't fix a problem, so waiting for one is risky business.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page