Samsung BDP1200 Master/Owner's Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5821 of 6049 Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"When we left Earth" and "Saturday Night Fever" play on fw 2.2
Ungermann is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5822 of 6049 Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Member
 
robofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched Watchmen with version 2.6, no issues.
robofan is offline  
post #5823 of 6049 Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Member
 
robofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched Knowing with version 2.6, no issues.

Attempted to watch The Edge of Love it hung at 29 seconds in and I couldn't get passed that point no matter what I did. It didn't freeze the player but it would not play no matter what I did.
robofan is offline  
post #5824 of 6049 Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Fellow 1200 Owners.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and retired the my much loved BD-P1200 bluray player to the family room, which the system in that room is no slouch! The 1200 will give that room another hi-def source other than the Fios HD/DVR STB.

Anyway, I purchased arguably the 2nd most maligned blueray player on the market, the Pioneer BDP-51FD. (2nd to the 1200, of course).

I think Samsung holds places 1 through 7 on the most maligned Blu-ray player list. The Pioneer BDP-51FD should be head and shoulders above the BDP-1200 based on what I have read. I have the Pioneer made Sony BDP-S1 and it has worked flawlessly for years, just loads very slow, but always loads. Video performance for Pioneer players is reputedly very good.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline  
post #5825 of 6049 Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RoboRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I think Samsung holds places 1 through 7 on the most maligned Blu-ray player list. The Pioneer BDP-51FD should be head and shoulders above the BDP-1200 based on what I have read.

I am unfortunate enough to have suffered both the Samsung 1200 and the Pioneer 51. The Samsung is definitely far, far worse. The Pioneer is actually a great player, in comparison to Samsung.
RoboRay is offline  
post #5826 of 6049 Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
02fx4dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

I am unfortunate enough to have suffered both the Samsung 1200 and the Pioneer 51. The Samsung is definitely far, far worse. The Pioneer is actually a great player, in comparison to Samsung.

+1

I had the Samsung 1200, and still have my 51FD. Other than slow startup and a few new BD's that require new FW, the 51FD has been a solid player. I bought one of the original demo units from BB last august and even with beta FW it was still better than the 1200... IMO.

Brian
02fx4dude is offline  
post #5827 of 6049 Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robofan View Post

Watched Watchmen with version 2.6, no issues.

Watchman (Blu Ray Version Director's Cut) and my Samsung PN50B650 has severe lip sync issue over HDMI. I have tried everything from within the TV as well as within the BD-P1200 and cannot make it stop no matter what i try. I am the latest firmware for the player, and v1008 for the TV. Any suggestions? Setting 24fps on or off from the player, or setting Cinema Smooth on or off from the TV does not make any differance at all.
Sound & Vision is offline  
post #5828 of 6049 Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
LRS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Watchman (Blu Ray Version Director's Cut) and my Samsung PN50B650 has severe lip sync issue over HDMI. I have tried everything from within the TV as well as within the BD-P1200 and cannot make it stop no matter what i try. I am the latest firmware for the player, and v1008 for the TV. Any suggestions? Setting 24fps on or off from the player, or setting Cinema Smooth on or off from the TV does not make any differance at all.

I had the same experience with Watchmen using component video, so apparently its not solely an HDMI issue. I'm also on firmware 2.6. This is the first blu-ray disc in my experience that has suffered from this symptom on my 1200. When watching the movie, I found that if I did a short reverse scan and then hit play, the audio and video would re-sync. I think I had to do this three times when watching the movie. It's as if the audio and video are slowly drifting out of sync over time, and at some point it becomes bothersome enough to the viewer that the short reverse scan is necessary to re-sync them.

I believe owners of other Samsung (and LG I think) players have noted this problem on the AVS Forum Watchmen thread.
LRS3 is offline  
post #5829 of 6049 Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I found that if I did a short reverse scan and then hit play, the audio and video would re-sync.

I noticed that as well, i just hope another update comes out soon.
Sound & Vision is offline  
post #5830 of 6049 Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Member
 
robofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched with firm ware version 2.6:

Unfaithful
Obsessed
Passengers
The International

No problems loading or watching.
robofan is offline  
post #5831 of 6049 Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"For all mankind" does not play on 2.2, freezes at chapter 1, time 00:00. Plays fine on fw 2.6.

Too sad that AVCHD is not supported by 2.6, I have to switch between fw versions, and I think this will eventually lock the player down. For blu-ray, it seems to become a pretty solid player with the 2.6, but I need AVCHD too. Will wait for a next fw release, then if AVCHD is not fixed, will sell it to someone who needs Blu-ray only.
Ungermann is offline  
post #5832 of 6049 Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ferris Bueller's Day Off plays on 2.6.
Ungermann is offline  
post #5833 of 6049 Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Member
 
robofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched with firm ware version 2.6:

New In Town
I Love You, Man
The Code

No problems loading or watching.
robofan is offline  
post #5834 of 6049 Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Ultimateherts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

I had the same experience with Watchmen using component video, so apparently its not solely an HDMI issue. I'm also on firmware 2.6. This is the first blu-ray disc in my experience that has suffered from this symptom on my 1200. When watching the movie, I found that if I did a short reverse scan and then hit play, the audio and video would re-sync. I think I had to do this three times when watching the movie. It's as if the audio and video are slowly drifting out of sync over time, and at some point it becomes bothersome enough to the viewer that the short reverse scan is necessary to re-sync them.

I believe owners of other Samsung (and LG I think) players have noted this problem on the AVS Forum Watchmen thread.

Just get a receiver that has lipsync offset and you'll be fine.
Ultimateherts is offline  
post #5835 of 6049 Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
lsturbointeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fremont, Ohio
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well, the bdp1200 was a love and hate relationship these last couple of years! the door finally decided not to open anymore and of course purchasing the player from Circuit City all extended warranty coverages were sold off to 3rd party insurances. fortunate for me they decided to refund the full $399 price of the unit. so now i'm sitting at home with my $100 bluray player from walmart with no issues whatsoever!...at least for now.
lsturbointeg is offline  
post #5836 of 6049 Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
LRS3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLabRat View Post

Amadeus plays fine, FW 2.5.

I notice that Zack and Miri continues to not play, more than a month after its release...

Zack and Miri now plays fine with firmware 2.6.
LRS3 is offline  
post #5837 of 6049 Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
proufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is that it?

No more FW upgrades?

No hope for a fix for the stutter in DVD chapters?

No hope for AVCHD?

Pablo Roufogalis L.

proufo is offline  
post #5838 of 6049 Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Member
 
robofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched with firm ware version 2.6:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Very slow to load but no problems encountered. No problems watching. Just make sure you have a magazine handy while it loads.

Also watched:

The Informers
Sunshine Cleaning
New in Town
I Love You, Man

No problems with any and all had normal loading times.
robofan is offline  
post #5839 of 6049 Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Member
 
celboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running 2.6

new Wizard of Oz just sits on spinning disc icon.

Thank You Samsung
celboy is offline  
post #5840 of 6049 Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Member
 
jdcerank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Essexville, MI
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wife and I tried watching "Management" last night and it wouldn't load. I tried it three times and only got a blank screen. I have firmware version 2.6.

Thanks Samsung.

Jim
jdcerank is offline  
post #5841 of 6049 Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tarheel72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcerank View Post

The wife and I tried watching "Management" last night and it wouldn't load. I tried it three times and only got a blank screen. I have firmware version 2.6.

Thanks Samsung.

Jim

Same here. It either froze at the 10 second mark or, after pressing fast forward over and over, it would advance and then freeze at the 14 second mark. Either way, useless. which is amazing, since this is not a fully loaded Java disc.

I had aleady replaced this brick as my main player with a Sony S550. Today and went out and got a Sony S360 to replace the 1200 as my secondary unit. Now the 1200 has been moved to my bedroom, where it will hardly ever be used. It makes a good door stop. And I will never own another Samsung product again.
Tarheel72 is offline  
post #5842 of 6049 Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

Same here. It either froze at the 10 second mark or, after pressing fast forward over and over, it would advance and then freeze at the 14 second mark. Either way, useless. which is amazing, since this is not a fully loaded Java disc.

I had aleady replaced this brick as my main player with a Sony S550. Today and went out and got a Sony S360 to replace the 1200 as my secondary unit. Now the 1200 has been moved to my bedroom, where it will hardly ever be used. It makes a good door stop. And I will never own another Samsung product again.

Still good as an upconverting sd dvd player.
millerwill is online now  
post #5843 of 6049 Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
proufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Still good as an upconverting sd dvd player.

Good but not great due to the stutter issue.

Now, if Samsung makes available the original firmware that presumably didn't have that problem, then I'd guess that the investment would be really worth it.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

proufo is offline  
post #5844 of 6049 Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Still good as an upconverting sd dvd player.

Actually, my Tosh HDa30 hddvd player is superior to my old Sammy 1200, Panny s97 and my Sony s550 when it comes to std dvd.

The Sony, Tosh and Panny are all in my rack sharing the OPPO hdmi switcher...sweeeeet.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #5845 of 6049 Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Steve Siener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How long ago did 2.6 come out? Been away from this thread for a long time, the Sammy collecting dust in a closet. I am considering giving it away now, though. Still no fix for the DVD chapter stutter issue? Really sad. Does the stutter happen when the connected HDMI device supports audio?
Steve Siener is offline  
post #5846 of 6049 Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Actually, my Tosh HDa30 hddvd player is superior to my old Sammy 1200, Panny s97 and my Sony s550 when it comes to std dvd.

The Sony, Tosh and Panny are all in my rack sharing the OPPO hdmi switcher...sweeeeet.

My Tosh HDa 20 does just as a good job on DVD as my $1200 Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI. I only paid $49 for the A20 last year.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #5847 of 6049 Old 10-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Member
 
astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I confirm: the FBI warning and Warner Brothers logo load and display, but then it shows a spinning disk forever with 2.6. No newer version is available.
astronomer is offline  
post #5848 of 6049 Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Member
 
celboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And what makes it worse is that disc 2 does play Oz special features.I fear Samsux will not address this. I mean I just got Contact & Snow White and they played fine.
celboy is offline  
post #5849 of 6049 Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

My Tosh HDa 20 does just as a good job on DVD as my $1200 Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI. I only paid $49 for the A20 last year.

Thats interesting. I will be curious as to how well their next "real" blu player does????

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #5850 of 6049 Old 10-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sound & Vision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by proufo View Post

Is that it?

No more FW upgrades?

No hope for a fix for the stutter in DVD chapters?

No hope for AVCHD?


I was just thinking the same thing! Just about every other Samsung along with other manufacture's models have gooten a recent update. The 1200 nothing. We all know the java is outdated and a few bugs still remain.
Sound & Vision is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off