post #5881 of 6049 Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

My receiver does not have optical input. I returned the BD60 back to Costco only to buy the BD80. It has its share of problems.

* It does not play 50Hz DVDs though the box says nothing about PAL/NTSC, it says that the player plays discs that are labeled "Region 1" or "All". I have plenty of region-free PAL discs but the player does not play them. Panasonic mentions this in the operation manual, but does not mention it on the box.
* It does play DivX, but really wacky, nowhere near my OPPO 970. Does not preserve aspect ratio and does not resize to full screen. Junk.
* It does not play DivX from an SD card, so I have to stick the card into a USB adapter and stick the adapter into the USB port to watch DivX from the card. Lame.
* It does play 50Hz DivX, but it does not play 50Hz AVCHD, and the operation manual has nothing about that. Crap.

All in all, I should have bought the PS3. People, don't spend money on this set-top junk, I mean all standalone Blu-ray players. Just buy the PS3 which plays everything and has frequent firmware updates.

The PS3 was a safe bet from the start. The energy usage is the only negative and even that doesn't amount to much, not when you consider the player is sold at a loss and all that it does for the price.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6049 Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Do you believe we can get Samsung to release the original firmware, the one that presumably has no stutter issues with DVDs?

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #5883 of 6049 Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Liked: 12
cannot play Ice Age 3? Anyone had any issues with IA 3?
post #5884 of 6049 Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I recently got Terminator Salvation on Blu-ray. I got the Director's Cut edition with Maximum movie mode. I have a Samsung HT-BD1200 Blu-ray home theater. When I select Maximum Movie Mode, the screen goes black, then three lights show up as if a loading screen and just hangs there. All other features of the disc work fine. Would a new firmware update help? I'm hesitant to update the firmware because some people said it bricked their players. I noticed the bricked players were in mid October and the current firmware version is from middle of November. I bought my home theater on Black Friday weekend. Well anyway, has anyone successfully upgraded the HT-BD1200 to the latest firmware? And if so, does it help with maximum movie mode?
post #5885 of 6049 Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron11 View Post

Hi, I recently got Terminator Salvation on Blu-ray. I got the Director's Cut edition with Maximum movie mode. I have a Samsung HT-BD1200 Blu-ray home theater. When I select Maximum Movie Mode, the screen goes black, then three lights show up as if a loading screen and just hangs there. All other features of the disc work fine. Would a new firmware update help? I'm hesitant to update the firmware because some people said it bricked their players. I noticed the bricked players were in mid October and the current firmware version is from middle of November. I bought my home theater on Black Friday weekend. Well anyway, has anyone successfully upgraded the HT-BD1200 to the latest firmware? And if so, does it help with maximum movie mode?

This shouldn't have been moved to this thread. The HT-BD1200 is a different Blu-ray Player and Home Theater.
post #5886 of 6049 Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM

The Narrows (released Nov.3) and Incendiary does not play on 2.6. They
both load and then freeze on ch. 2, 10 seconds in. The screen goes black.

The following 4 of mine does not play on 2.6:
The Narrows 11/03
Incendiary 5/05
In The Electric Mist 3/03
Ping Pong Playa 2/05
post #5887 of 6049 Old 12-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

cannot play Ice Age 3? Anyone had any issues with IA 3?

Stating firmware would be helpful.
post #5888 of 6049 Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Has everyone given on this player except I.
The following are unplayable on 2.5, (according to CASH70 list here) but have not been reported on since:
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
Day of the Dead
Grey's Anatomy S4 D3
Man Who Fell to Earth
The Special Life of Bees
The Wackness
post #5889 of 6049 Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avhed View Post

Has everyone given on this player except I.

Well, I'm still using mine. It's my only stand-alone blu-ray player, but my laptop has a blu-ray drive, so I do have a back-up. I don't have any of the problem discs you've identified. The only problem disc that I own is the "Snow White" blu-ray, which mutes the audio on the 1200 if you use analog outputs on the player (which is how it's hooked up in my setup). So, I watched it on my laptop.

It is disappointing that Samsung has not issued any firmware updates since version 2.6 in May 2009. Who knows if they ever will again; firmware 2.6 may end up being the final version. If I weren't in the process of moving and buying a new house, I'd buy a new player now. I'll probably end up buying a new one in 3-6 months as it is.

I'd like to keep the 1200 as a back-up/bedroom player. But if the "problem discs" list continues to grow and Samsung doesn't issue firmware updates, I may just pitch it.

It does seem pretty lonely on this thread these days. I think a lot of the former contributors to this thread have given up on the 1200.
post #5890 of 6049 Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

Well, I'm still using mine. It's my only stand-alone blu-ray player, but my laptop has a blu-ray drive, so I do have a back-up. I don't have any of the problem discs you've identified. The only problem disc that I own is the "Snow White" blu-ray, which mutes the audio on the 1200 if you use analog outputs on the player (which is how it's hooked up in my setup). So, I watched it on my laptop.

It is disappointing that Samsung has not issued any firmware updates since version 2.6 in May 2009. Who knows if they ever will again; firmware 2.6 may end up being the final version. If I weren't in the process of moving and buying a new house, I'd buy a new player now. I'll probably end up buying a new one in 3-6 months as it is.

I'd like to keep the 1200 as a back-up/bedroom player. But if the "problem discs" list continues to grow and Samsung doesn't issue firmware updates, I may just pitch it.

It does seem pretty lonely on this thread these days. I think a lot of the former contributors to this thread have given up on the 1200.

LRS3:

I do agree with what you just stated about this being a lonely thread lately. This used to be a very active thread back in the day. There had always been heated concerns over Samsung's lack of effort to keep this player updated properly. I still use my 1200 as my main BR player and continue to get good results out of it. Yes, I do have my occasional BR disk that doesn't play, but they are few and far between. I get my BR disks from Netflix and check the BR disk immediately upon receiving it in the mail. That way, if the disk doesn't work, I can mail it back the same day and get my new disk within two days.

Cheers,
Jim
post #5891 of 6049 Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 AM

Watched with firm ware version 2.6:

Terminator: Salvation

No problems.
post #5892 of 6049 Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 AM

Watched with firm ware version 2.6:

Public Enemies

No problems.
post #5893 of 6049 Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Folks, I have owned the 1200 for the better part of 3 years, and it has served me very well. But I have moved on to an Oppo BDP-83. I was a little skeptical of it being any better then the 1200 for video... but it was an immediately noticable improvement in video quality, everything just seemed to be brighter and sharper (understand that is a subjective opinion). But on the 1st day with the Oppo, I kept the 1200 stacked next to it and switched the HDMI cable back and forth... the Oppo consistantly presented a sharper and brighter image. Even with DVD upconversions... hands down the Oppo is the better player.

It's not really a fair comparison on the audio side of things, as the DTS-MA and Dolby-HD are considerably better the the standard codecs. And it really shows, the surround speakers now present aural images that are clearly desernable.

Will keep the 1200 in the family room for kids to watch some of their movies and will keep monitoring this thread for information and apply firmware updates (if there are any more).

Thanks,
post #5894 of 6049 Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthenry View Post

Hey Folks, I have owned the 1200 for the better part of 3 years, and it has served me very well. But I have moved on to an Oppo BDP-83. I was a little skeptical of it being any better then the 1200 for video... but it was an immediately noticable improvement in video quality, everything just seemed to be brighter and sharper (understand that is a subjective opinion). But on the 1st day with the Oppo, I kept the 1200 stacked next to it and switched the HDMI cable back and forth... the Oppo consistantly presented a sharper and brighter image. Even with DVD upconversions... hands down the Oppo is the better player.

It's not really a fair comparison on the audio side of things, as the DTS-MA and Dobly-HD are considerably better the the standard codecs. And it really shows, the surround speakers now present aural images that are clearly desernable.

Will keep the 1200 in the family room for kids to watch some of their movies and will keep monitoring this thread for information and apply firmware updates (if there are any more).

Thanks,

Your description is almost identical to mine. Only diff is that the 1200 has gone to the bedroom (to service a 52" lcd tv).
post #5895 of 6049 Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Same here. The 1200 is still in use, but only rarely and in a secondary room. It's a damn shame Samsung decided to cripple their first HDMI 1.3 player and offer only lackluster support. This thing could have been a real winner.
post #5896 of 6049 Old 01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthenry View Post

It's not really a fair comparison on the audio side of things, as the DTS-MA and Dobly-HD are considerably better the the standard codecs. And it really shows, the surround speakers now present aural images that are clearly desernable.

Thanks,

I have the Oppo BDP-83 and the BD-P1200 also. The Oppo is certainly better all the way around for all formats both handle and the Oppo player handles a lot in addition to the formats the BD-P1200 handles. I think most of us already knew all of that. I am still waiting for firmware to make the BD-P1200 better and more reliable and then I will put it back to use but for now, it is back in the closet. There are a lot of players between this one and the Oppo BDP-83, the two players represent the top and bottom of the $500 and under players. I do think picture quality is very good with the BD-P1200 when it works properly for whatever that is worth, not much to me.

Chris
post #5897 of 6049 Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I have the Oppo BDP-83 and the BD-P1200 also. The Oppo is certainly better all the way around for all formats both handle and the Oppo player handles a lot in addition to the formats the BD-P1200 handles. I think most of us already knew all of that. I am still waiting for firmware to make the BD-P1200 better and more reliable and then I will put it back to use but for now, it is back in the closet. There are a lot of players between this one and the Oppo BDP-83, the two players represent the top and bottom of the $500 and under players. I do think picture quality is very good with the BD-P1200 when it works properly for whatever that is worth, not much to me.

Chris

As noted above, my 1200 has been moved to the BR where my wife uses it for dvd's, for which the 1200 still does a nice job. The Oppo is in the main HT and all BD's are looked at there.
post #5898 of 6049 Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Today the BD-P1200 finally did not perform. It no longers play any Blu-Ray (BR) dvds, but the funny thing is that it still plays DVDs and CDs fine. I suspect that the last movie I rented from Netflix, Valkyrie, somehow screwed up the Java inside the player. I tried resetting, and I also tried reinstalling the latest firmware (2.6) via CD image (I also called support who told me the same thing), and it will still not read any more Blu-Rays. For what it is worth, before Valkyrie, it was playing pretty well. Here are some recent Blu-Rays I have played on it (most of the time with no issues):

Star Trek (no issues)
X-Men Origins (no issues)
I Love You, Man (no issues)
Terminator Salvation (audio delay issues at some points, but corrected using pause or fast forward/backward)
Say Anything (no issues)
Curious Case of Benjamin Button (no issues)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (no issues)
Batman Begins (no issues)
The Dark Knight (no issues)
The Proposal (no issues)
Australia (no issues)
Valkyrie (audio/video issues after about an hour of play where the movie just pauses and stutters, got through it though. After the movie finished, even the home screen was having audio/video stutters. The next day, after about an hour of watching the interesting documentary extra about the Valkyrie, the audio/video pauses came up again. This time, not only would the BR would not play at all, and neither would the rest of my BR collection).

Thus, what I have now is a good upconverting DVD player that plays CDs, but no BR. So, now I have a great excuse to buy either a PS3 or Oppo BDP-83 now. :-)

Guariche
post #5899 of 6049 Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Guariche, what about installing 2.5?
post #5900 of 6049 Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

There are a lot of players between this one and the Oppo BDP-83, the two players represent the top and bottom of the $500 and under players. I do think picture quality is very good with the BD-P1200 when it works properly for whatever that is worth, not much to me.

Chris

There are players worse than the BD-P1200, so how can it be the bottom?
post #5901 of 6049 Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think not, this is the worst one I have ever seen but that would be just a matter of opinion, you can disagree. In terms of inability to play discs, this one is probably the all-time worst. When there were enough owners still trying to make this thing work and bothering to report issues, it was determined about 7% of Blu-ray discs wouldn't load or wouldn't play acceptably. An owner was keeping a list, look back about a thousand posts. I think he threw in the towel and no longer has the player in service. Firmware updates appear to me to fix some things and break others, net effect approximately zero usually.

DVD playback now includes an audio stutter at chapter breaks, I believe introduced with an early firmware update and never fixed. Samsung has never updated the player to have the option of upscaling 4:3 DVD and maintaining proper aspect ratio. I know it is far from unique in lacking that feature since I also own the BH200 and BD-UP5000 and neither have ever gotten that feature either although it has been promised for the BH200. For whatever it is worth, the Samsung BD-P2500/P2550 use Silicon Optix Reon and will upscale 4:3 DVD and maintain proper aspect ratio so it is a puzzle why Samsung hasn't offered that option with this player. For those that have a display that can force the proper aspect ratio, it isn't as big a deal but I think that is a minority of users. For me, I had to switch to 480p each time with the display it was connected to, which was a pain.

I have owned a lot of players and consider this one the worst. It is obvious how bad this player is if you have a PS3 and Oppo BDP-83 to compare. Both of those players load the disc quickly and play it properly, always. I have owned a lot of Blu-ray players to form my opinion of this one as the worst but if I have missed one that is even worse than this one, I guess I can just consider myself lucky.

Chris
post #5902 of 6049 Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Name three. Heck, name ONE.
post #5903 of 6049 Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Guariche, what about installing 2.5?

I usually just update using the LAN, but I will consider installing 2.5 this coming weekend. I just bought the PS3 Slim (120GB) over the last weekend, and wow, what a machine! The PS3 Slim makes the Samsung BD-P1200 look like a dinosaur. Some notes...

1) PS3 Slim is smaller and lighter.
2) Load times are a lot faster.
3) It is profile 2.0, though Blu-Ray Live (for me) isn't that impressive yet.
4) On standard DVDs (TV shows like Highlander: The Series or the Playboy Centerfold Collection) with 4:3 ratio, the PS3 Slim retains the 4:3 ratio on the screen. The Samsung BD-P1200 puts it out to 16:9 (making the image of people look really fat), and I had to use my Samsung monitor to force it back to 4:3. Now I notice that in forcing it back to 4:3, there were some details that were missing. I did not understand Ungerman's point a while back about this, but I now do. The extra processing by the TV to put it back to 4:3 hurts the picture.
5) The PS3 Slim can bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS HD.
6) Bad thing about PS3 Slim is that it does not have 5.1 analog outs. This means I will have to upgrade my receiver. But, as of now, I am satisfied with normal Dolby Digital and DTS.
7) PS3 Slim can stream Netflix too, though the video quality is sub-par, and the audio is only stereo (2.0). I will probably use this a lot for documentaries.
8) PS3 Slim at $299 is a bargain compared to what I originally paid for the BD-P1200 2 1/2 years ago (I think about $500).
9) And, I am almost sure the PS3 Slim will be updated by Sony so that it will play all the new releases in a timely fashion, unlike Samsung where it can take months (Pirates of the Carribean: Deadman's Chest took how long?). This was by far the real reason I am not going back to Samsung for Blu-Ray players, ever. When will Wizard of Oz play on the BD-P1200?

Hopefully I can get the Samsung BD-P1200 working again for Blu-Rays so I can contribute more to what plays and what does not play on this machine. I already put the BD-P1200 in the closet.

Guariche
post #5904 of 6049 Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mines not currently even in my home. I have let a friend use it. This was the most expensive (ie price actually paid) Blu-Ray player I have which includes Panasonic 35, Samsung 5000, LG 200, PS3, PS3 Slim. The Panasonic is a nice player, the two combo units have their issues but are both better than the 1200 IMO. The PS3s are both nice too. I should have just bought the PS3 instead of the 1200 in the first place, then the dang reviews came out glowing about the 1200 and the rest is history. The 1200 could have been great (same as their 5000) but for whatever the reasons some of the Blu-Ray manufactures have not supported their players all that well while others have done a great job. My next Blu-Ray player will be the Oppo 83 as I'd love to get SACD & DVD-A back into my system as well as use the analog outputs to my pre/pro. My PS3 will cover the one thing the Oppo does not and that is Netflix and wireless connection (I guess BD Live crap too).

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #5905 of 6049 Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

Name three. Heck, name ONE.

Samsung BD-P1000
post #5906 of 6049 Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno, I didn't own one so I can't make a direct comparison, but I don't recall hearing nearly as many complaints about the 1000 as the 1200.
post #5907 of 6049 Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

I dunno, I didn't own one so I can't make a direct comparison, but I don't recall hearing nearly as many complaints about the 1000 as the 1200.

I would agree, the 1000 had issues too but not like the 1200. I think part of the problem with the 1200 was expectations based on what the system specs are & early reviews of the unit. The Reon for DVD (at a bargain price for the time) only to have DVD playback suffer from the first update, never to be fixed, the audio analog or hdmi that never were updated to pass the new sound formats, the constant gamble of a disc not playing, I think at one point nearly every new disc coming out had some type of issue (this is back when only a few titles a month were being released).
When I first got the player I loved it. Unfortunately BD was still not ready to be on the market but they had to compete with HD DVD, I was dumb enough to jump into BD so early, I already had HD DVD and loved it. The upgrade bug bit once I saw how awesome movies now looked in HD so I had to have access to more content. As I mentioned in my post above I should have just got the PS3 at the time but really looking back I should have waited until Toshiba pulled the plug on HD DVD before getting into BD.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #5908 of 6049 Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly. To this day, I'm still wondering why Samsung put an HDMI 1.3 chip in the 1200 and didn't use it's only worthwhile feature.
post #5909 of 6049 Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have owned and still own what seems to be the two most maligned bluray players to ever hit the market,.... The Samsung BD-P1200 and the Pioneer BDP-51FD. Both are still in use in my home. The Samsung is in the family room and the Pioneer, with the main system.

I have to be the luckiest bluray owner in the world, because, I have only had 3 blurays that haven't played between the 2 players. Once the updates where installed, the movies played fine. The 1200 has played the new releases that I have purchased without a single problem. No lipsync issues, no stuttering, no freeze ups. Now granted, I do not rent blurays, I only purchase. I know the rentals have been the bain of the 1200's exsistance.
I currently own 57 blurays, including some of the most recent releases, and I gotta tell ya, as of right now, they all play fine in the 1200. Again, I know I am lucky. And I'm not alone in my success. I'm sure there are others (few and far between) who still use the 1200 and have had similar success with playback.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the opinions about this player and Samsung's lack of support and attention to detail isn't warranted, because it is!
To tell you the truth, I'm waiting for the my 1200 to die. It will just give me an excuse to purchase another BDP. But it just won't! And as long as it continues to play my current blurays and new releases, it will remain with the family room system.

Regards,

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #5910 of 6049 Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Samsung BD-P1000

The BD-P1000 was my first player. It was better than the BD-P1200 in my opinion although ultimately I returned it under warranty and got a refund since it couldn't be fixed, it was having problems playing new releases and I didn't want to risk the warranty running out. I provided a list of a few titles it wouldn't load and returned it. The problems were fewer than I had with the BD-P1200 which I purchased at a closeout price and just decided to keep it in case Samsung fixes it.

The potential is much better with the BD-P1200 but the results haven't been, at least not yet. My BD-P1000 was my only Blu-ray player for about 10 months and I got a lot of good use out of it, Samsung worked harder to make it right during that time frame and I had several months of basically problem free playback, something I haven't ever had with the BD-P1200. If Samsung comes up with a good firmware version improving the player, the BD-P1200 will of course be much better than the BD-P1000. These two Samsung players may be the very worst ever, I sure wouldn't be surprised.

Chris
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - P1200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page