post #6031 of 6049 Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB99 View Post

I have had this player from the start and updated all along. Recently I have run into blu rays from netflix that wont play. I have usually just sent them back and gotten the dvd version. PIA...

So my question is:

Is it time to move on? i.e. the new 150 dollar players from sony etc. should play everything? Will I have same issues now and then in playing blu rays with the new 2012 generation players?

Throgh all its troubles this player still played most discs but I think it might be time.

Make sure you are downloading the updates from the Sammy support site and burning a CD to do the update. WIth several of the older Sammy players the online/network update no longer works or will tell you you are up to date but you are not. With the 5K it's been that way for the last 3 releases. Samsung just released new code for many of the older players within the past few weeks/couple months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6049 Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Make sure you are downloading the updates from the Sammy support site and burning a CD to do the update. WIth several of the older Sammy players the online/network update no longer works or will tell you you are up to date but you are not. With the 5K it's been that way for the last 3 releases. Samsung just released new code for many of the older players within the past few weeks/couple months.

"Many" apparently doesn't include the BD-P1200. The most recent firmware on the Samsung site for this player is still version 2.9, from April 2010.
post #6033 of 6049 Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

"Many" apparently doesn't include the BD-P1200. The most recent firmware on the Samsung site for this player is still version 2.9, from April 2010.

When you visit the Samsung website you have click on the link referring to "boatus anchorus"........
post #6034 of 6049 Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS3 View Post

Ah yes. I checked many of these the other day and looks like the p1000 and p1200 are lagging like the UP5000. However there is a typo on the Sammy support page for the p1200. The latest 2.9 came out in December of '10. 2.8 was the one from April. If you are running 2.9 you are running the latest. I could have swore only the p1000 and UP5000 had the dirt old f/w. At least the p1200 has newer code then the 5k. I bet you are having issues with newer Disney studios releases? That's the issue I am having with the 5k. If you downgrade to older firmware they all work. It's affecting newer Disney DVDs as well and there is a handful of older WB and one Lionsgate that won't play at all with any firmware.
post #6035 of 6049 Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

When you visit the Samsung website you have click on the link referring to "boatus anchorus"........

Too funny. You know if Samsung would live up to the requirements of providing updates forever for BD (or at least until things stabilize, which will never happen) then folks could keep these running forever.
post #6036 of 6049 Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Liked: 10
Warhorse stays frozen on touchstone logo after selecting Disc Language page.
Running 2.9
post #6037 of 6049 Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

It would be great to demote it to being just an excellent upconverting DVD player... if only Samsung would make available the old firmware with no stuttering at chapter points.

I shudder when I read that Samsung will be the domineering consumer electronics company in the future.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #6038 of 6049 Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Two Disney Titles come out the same day.
Pocahontas plays
Rescuers freezes on the Disney castle lake.

running 2.9
post #6039 of 6049 Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM

My BDP1200's sound is only partially working since August. Does anyone have spare 2.9 Firmware upgrage on disc?
My Oppo BD-83 is doing the same thing. At least I know how to upgrade this firmware via the internet.
post #6040 of 6049 Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Modern Family Season 3 is freezing up at the player. It just sits on play (black screen--no counter increment) after the colored circle pattern comes together.

I eject and put in a blu that works---Jaws--and that doesn't play. Power off the machine--Jaws then works. Same with plain dvd's unable to play after loading Modern Family S03.

Modern works on my Oppo.

I think I will disconnect and throw on the shelf in the basement. And buy a new Panny---so cheap now.
post #6041 of 6049 Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Game Of Thrones season 2 plays on 2.9 but 007 Skyfall does not.
post #6042 of 6049 Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Not suprising re Skyfall considering it's been 3 years since the last firmware update.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #6043 of 6049 Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello to all. I hope someone sees this.

I just got a new BD player (Panasonic 500) and the 1200 will remain just for Zone 1 and no zone DVDs.

Is it safe to install early firmware versions, looking for one where there is no stutter at chapter points?

Thanks in advance.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #6044 of 6049 Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got this player and use it with an OLD Kenwood KRV-990D receiver which predates DVD. On Blu ray, I get sound on the main movie because it converts DTS to DD which is great, but I get no sound on menus or previews, which is puzzling. Not a show stopper, but it should work. Of course I am using the coaxial digital output which is one of the reasons I bought this player. Really thrilled that it converts DTS to DD.

I see now that this is an old thread. I have the S1200, not sure if it's the same player.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #6045 of 6049 Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Try setting the player to PCM output. That may give you menu sounds. Not sure why you would not get preview sounds. It may also be that the player is set to PCM and you need bitstream output setting.

If the player has a DTS re-encode setting for audio use that if your AVR can handle DTS that way the player will handle everything internally and output DTS to your AVR. However I don't recall that option being on the 1200 but might have been added in later firmware releases, but I doubt it.

If your AVR predates DVDs then the issue is probably that you need to be set to PCM and may all need to set downsampling on. However both DD and DTS existed on other formats before DVDs (LDs) so who knows. Fiddle with the settings and see what happens. According to the manual you need to hit stop twice during playback before you change the downsampling option since you need to disable resume playback to get it to change.

I just took a gander at the KRV-990D manual and it does support AC3 DD 5.1 (but does not appear to support DTS) so it may be that the 1200 only outputs menu sounds if you are either using the RCA analog outputs or set to PCM to HDMI however setting to PCM should fix that on S/PDIF as well. Many of the early Sammy HDP players had various quirks like this. For example I can only get menu sounds on older discs if I set to DTS re-encode on my BDP-UP5000 (PCM may work as well but it has been years since I fiddled with it. I know that it won't when set to bitstream since it has just enough smarts to bitstream but not enough to add the secondary audio as well). On newer releases they have changed the codecs etc used for the menus so they can get around that issue. I never did quite figure that out. Often how you would think that things should work logically or even according to the manual don't and various firmware updates have either changed behavior or added new features.

Let me know how it works out. I assume you are sending the vid to your monitor with HDMI so you might also be able to send the audio out your TV to the AVR, but you will need a one-way optical to coax converter since the KRV-990D lacks optical. If you don't mind loosing 5.1 and going PL that might also be an option with the TVs analog audio outs, if it has them. Doesn't look like your AVR supports 5.1 analog inputs, but if it does, yet another option.
post #6046 of 6049 Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed your note that you have the S1200 as in BDP-S1200 is a Sony and not a Samsung however there should be the same or similar audio out options for you. Typical ones are PCM, bitstream (sometimes called audiophile) and DTS-reencode or some variants of that. Your player is probably not converting DTS to DD but playing the "hidden" core DD track that is required of all BDs. Sometimes both the DD and DTS stream are present on the S/PDIF interface and your AVR will pick up the best signal that it can process. At least that is my limited understanding of what should happen. I know that happens on HDMI with or without handshakes.
post #6047 of 6049 Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I just realized that. This is a Sammy thread and I have a Sony. How the heck do they have such similar model numbers?!?! I think the issue may be bit rate. The blue ray is outputing DD, but the bit rate is higher than what my old receiver accepts. I tried both settings. PC and AUTO. There are no analog outputs at all on this player. I think I have to live with it and am just glad it works at all. Hey, I still have laserdisc RF input an that's not available anymore, so that's a big deal. LD's looked OK from my 14' viewing distance, but jeez, plain DVD on this setup is worlds better. If only DVD had the sound impact the old LD's had. Some do, most don't.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #6048 of 6049 Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'd be happy to move your posts. Let me know.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6049 of 6049 Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post

Yeah, I just realized that. This is a Sammy thread and I have a Sony. How the heck do they have such similar model numbers?!?! I think the issue may be bit rate. The blue ray is outputing DD, but the bit rate is higher than what my old receiver accepts. I tried both settings. PC and AUTO. There are no analog outputs at all on this player. I think I have to live with it and am just glad it works at all. Hey, I still have laserdisc RF input an that's not available anymore, so that's a big deal. LD's looked OK from my 14' viewing distance, but jeez, plain DVD on this setup is worlds better. If only DVD had the sound impact the old LD's had. Some do, most don't.

Actually they are similar but quite a bit different. The Samsung BD-P1200 is an olden player (one of the 1st Sammys) where the Sony BDP-S1200 is a much younger model. You tell Sonys from Sammys with the S in the name and the placement of the hyphen.

It would be odd to be bit rate. I thought you said that you got feature audio, but not menu and preview? Usually menu and previews are at a much lower bit rate and the feature at a higher one.

The problem with DVDs is two fold; lack of DTS on most titles and much lower bit rate for the DD audio in most cases. Back in the good old days when DVDs were 1st released most if not all of them included DTS audio at 1.5mbps, but there are royalties/license fees that have to be paid to DTS, and studios started wanting to put lots of crap and extra features on the discs which took space and made it impossible for most discs to include it. Personally in the past I have collected DVDs with DTS until I got into HD and BD. Criterion and Suberbit discs are good to seek out for the higher/better quality audio which imoHO is far superior to anything that was on LD< except I think some of those might have had DTS or high bit rate DD?

Anyhow, referring to your manual on p.29 I think you need all the default options for audio;
[Digital Audio Output]=Auto
(the other option is PCM which is fine IF your AVR accepts PCM/LPCM signals which I don't think it does or will be only 2.0?)

[BD Audio Mix Setting]=On (this mixes the interactive and secondary audio into the primary audio so that things like menu sounds and possibly previews can be heard. The other option is Off which outputs primary audio only to your AVR and is probably the option for best sound so try that if still having trouble).

[Dolby D Compatible Output]=On (converts DTS to DD) other option is Off which turns off that function. Odd to see a DTS to DD rather than a DTS re-encode converting everything to DTS.

[Auto DRC]=Auto which sets the Dynamic Range Compression to what is specified on the disc. Other options are On which is use the standard compression level and Off which is no compression. This is one that you might want to set to Off for the best dynamic range, but if you listen at low volumes you will want to set it to On or Auto (unless your AVR has a DRC function in that case make sure you turn this off in the player).

[Downmix]=Surround. This is set for 2-channel output; Surround or Stereo as I read the manual and it probably (or should) only apply to the RCA analog outs and possibly if you set it to PCM 2.0 output?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page