Samsung BDP1200 Master/Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
According to a post in the HDDVD forum someone posted said there neighbor brought theres over and compared it to the xa2 and sony ps3. I wont start an argument over what he said about it compared to xa2 upconversion but he did say they compared it to the ps3 for blue ray and noticed no difference.

Someone claimed his post was a lie but I believe he posted where his neighbor purchased it, and someone else called and the store did indeed have it.

It just seems conflicting we get one report like this saying its night and day difference even for BR titles, and another saying no difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I might get the BD-P1200, but I am not sure if I should get rid of my PS3, which I watch mostly blu-ray movies on it.
post #93 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

It just seems conflicting we get one report like this saying its night and day difference even for BR titles, and another saying no difference.

Surely this is quite subjective? Every time I try to compare these sorts of things, which is rare I admit, I strain to see subtle differences and even then not sure which is better than the other. I have a PS3 but would replace it with the 1200 if it does a good job upcoverting so I can get rid of the OPPO and make some room.
post #94 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM

I bought the Samsung BD-P1200 for $633.00 from Dell direct. My confirmation e-mail said delivery before 4/18/07
post #95 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hello this muellerfilm and I am the one who started this thread and it's been four days with this new player and while excitement has wore off somewhat I still like what I see. The player is still performing well with no major glitches as far as I can see. I have put many disks through the unit. I am mainly using the unit for burned BDMV and BDAV BD-R disks. I picked up second player for home use today and watched A Tailor in Panama and it seemed to look grainer on Samsung than the Sony. I did not directly compare both players. Its just from memory when I watched this movie about month ago. I am going to check the settings on the player and see if anything is different from the other Samsung.
There are some esthetic things I do not like. The display on the unit could be brighter. Its little brighter than the BDP1000 but not by much. The display on the Sony is bright and and easy to see. The cabinet on the Samsung looks ok but the cabinet on the Sony is very very nice. Well that's all for now.

Oh one last thing. I do not work for Samsung. Mostly everything in my shop is Sony. I Own Post production House and was one of the first to do Post production with Sony's HDV format. We are one of the few post houses that is able to properly transfer the 1080i HDV video from Sony's new 1080P HVR V1U CAMCORDER AND transfer it to 1080P for Blu Ray.
post #96 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Rozenfeld View Post

Can anyone verify if this player has a good 720p output for blu-ray?

Also, it would be good to have a comparion for regular dvd output between this player and Toshiba hdxa2. I know they have the same deinterlacer chip, but implementation migh be different.

I second this great idea. Could some one please do a side by side comparison of the HD-XA2 and the SAMSUNG 1200 or even better a complete shoot out of all the latest players. I am really interested in both of these players and am actually hoping that the 1200 ends up up-scaling just as well as the XA2 since I already have a HD-A1. I have a lot of SD DVDs and would love to go neutral but need to see the same PQ as HD DVD as well as the ability to up scale like the XA2. I have even held off buying several dvds on sd dvd because they are available on BR. I much prefer their selection so far because I lean towards horror and sci fi and any thing with lots of blood and gore. Im crossing my fingers for the Samsung.
post #97 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well the thread in the HDDVD forum claimed that the 1200 fell inbetween the XA2 and A2, better then the A2, but not at the xa2 level.

We will have to wait for more reviews though to see what the general consensus is.
post #98 of 6049 Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

The player is working fine now. The sharpness setting was set to high I turned it off and the 24FPS mode was turned off. I turned it on. Now the picture looks great no grain just perfect. Wow I just really love this unit. Wow, am I the only one loving this player so much or what?
post #99 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The sharpness setting was "high" and you thought you could make a fair comparison with another player ..............?

That sounds exactly like what Kris Deering was alluding to. He remains one of the few people who's opinions alone are reliable enough to be used as the basis of a buying decision.

Nick
post #100 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

The sharpness setting was "high" and you thought you could make a fair comparison with another player ..............?

That sounds exactly like what Kris Deering was alluding to. He remains one of the few people who's opinions alone are reliable enough to be used as the basis of a buying decision.

Nick

This player reminds me alot like others(panasonic & sammy 1000) in the fact that it has 444 color space,wont pass blacker than black and whiter than white picture info right out of the gate so needs a firmware update.
However, running it thru my dvdo vp50 and using rgb color space output i can get btb and wtw and the picture is fantastic and better than what i was getting from my panny dmp-bd10.Much more detailed.
Must be the hqv conversion from 1080p to 1080i is better than the panny.Im keeping it!
post #101 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Murilo, what is the thread heading in the Hddvd AVS Forum where the XA2 & the 1200 is compared? I can not find it. Thanks George
post #102 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Murilo, what is the thread heading in the Hddvd AVS Forum where the XA2 & the 1200 is compared? I can not find it. Thanks George

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=828182
post #103 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks CMRA.
post #104 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM

I was just watching the _Kingdom of Heaven_ Blu-Ray disc - which I consider reference quality in terms of the image. But here's what's interesting - the disc says that the only audio soundtrack provided is DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless). And indeed, when watching the movie, the only audio soundtrack I can choose from is the DTS-HD MA. Now obviously, when sending this signal to my Pioneer receiver (VSX-49TX) over the optical audio link - I'm getting a compressed DTS soundtrack - and my receiver has no problem decoding it. However, I can also send the audio from the 5.1 analog outs from the Samsung to the 5.1 analog inputs on my receiver - and this works great too! The sound is amazing - and certainly multi-channel - not some down-mixed stereo.

So here is where I'm a bit confused: My understanding is that the Samsung BD-P1200 does not include a decoder for DTS-HD Master Audio - and yet, with the _Kingdom of Heaven_ disc, which only has a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack - I can hear the soundtrack over optical - and, more importantly, over the 5.1 analog out. To me, this implies that the Samsung BD-P1200 does indeed decode DTS-HD Master Audio. I know my receiver does not have the DTS-HD MA decoder in it - because it is an ancient piece of audio gear - and does not have any HDMI inputs.

Perhaps someone reading this thread can set me straight? And in particular, explain to me exactly what I am hearing over the 5.1 analog outs. Is it lossless? Is it decoded DTS-HD MA? Or some other derivative soundtrack? I'm finding the whole audio codec subject with respect to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to be rather confusing.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #105 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The DTS format has multiple "layers" (I forget what term they use), but essentially the stream is a basic DTS block, along with more data to get DTS-HD, and even more data to get to DTS-HD MA. If the decoder only knows basic DTS, for instance, it will just ignore the other blocks, and you get DTS 5.1 output... If the decoder understands DTS-HD, you get DTS-HD. All from one stream. Pretty nifty way of doing it, and it's the same way they added the 6th channel to the original 5.1 stream.

So what you should be hearing is the "best" portion of the DTS stream that the player understands, which as best we know so far, is not HD MA.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #106 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #107 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got an e-mail from CC that mine has shipped. Supposed to arrive tomorrow.
post #108 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hello there, give me a break I was not doing another comparison with this Second Samsung player I was just relating my experience when watching a Blu Ray disk at home.

I did other comparison this morning at my office with The Tailor in Panama Blu Ray disk In the BDP1200 and the BDPS1 This movie has soft look to it. Looks like they transferred it off the internegative instead of the interpositive so I wanted to see how it compared to the Sony BDPS1. Many seem to point out that there is no benefit from having the 24P setting turned on so for this side-by-side comparison it was turned off. The sharpness setting on the Samsung was also turned off. Both units using HDMI and both set to 1080P. The test was conducted 14x14 room that has no windows and the lights in the room were turned off. Two Samsung 5296 Panels were put side by side and both panels have been calibrated the same. I started the Tailor in Panama Disks in both players and let them run. Because I did my own comparison on I what I thought. This time I let my employee's rate, which one they liked better. These people make for good testers as we are post production facility and many work with color correcting timing ECT. I covered up the players so no one knew which one was Sony or Samsung. Out of the fifteen people that came through to look at the players twelve of the fifteen liked the Samsung BDP1200 better. I did the same test with Into the Blue Blu Ray disk and out of fifteen people fourteen preferred the Samsung BDP1200. I did one last test with ten people looking at BD-R BDMV. This disk was Hi Def 24P footage shot on a Sony F900. This disk was made on Sonys BLU Print software at the highest quality settings. All ten people peferred the Samsung. This what I wrote about a few days ago as the night and day difference. Comments on the BD-R fototage ranged from pixelation and noise very noticable on the Sony BDPS1 to not looking as sharp as the camera would pan or the actors moved around. You just would not see any of this with the Samsung BDP1200 the images looked great no noise or pixelation, ect. On a side note we produced a disk with DVDIt PRO authoring software on a different blu ray burner and the results were the same. That DVDit PRO software gives you alot bang for the buck.
So there you go real people looking at what they saw and drawing real unbiased opinions.

Well that's all for now (going on holiday) and see all of you at NAB later this month
post #109 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I might get the BD-P1200, but I am not sure if I should get rid of my PS3, which I watch mostly blu-ray movies on it.

Why would you do that? I dont see any benefit of this player over the PS3 at this point
post #110 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Analog audio outs, IR, upconversion, looks like a component, fan noise (?), remote sold separately (and special convertor for component - basically add $25 to $50 to MSRP).

All fairly minor issues IMO, but if one has no interest in PS3 gaming/marketplace, then it's a pretty easy choice.
post #111 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to point out the one thing i really do not like about the player.
It has those same colored dots displayed while loading as the bdp-1000!
post #112 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

What do other models have?
post #113 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I find them mesmerizing! Besides, I have to watch something for 25 seconds while the BD loads

Do like the player, though...

Ken
post #114 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

This player reminds me alot like others(panasonic & sammy 1000) in the fact that it has 444 color space,wont pass blacker than black and whiter than white picture info right out of the gate so needs a firmware update.

Why does it seem that many early HD players (BD or HD DVD) screw this up? I could understand if we were 5 years into the format and cheaper players had these problems but, early adoptes are the hardcore HT guys how expect a little more attention to detail. Why is it so hard for them to make a player that passes BTB and WTW out of the gate and give us user selectable color space? I'm using the component inputs for my A1 because it is the only input that would pass BTB (even with the latest firmware and, I have been unsuccseful at passing BTB with my BD-P1000 no matter what input I use (yes it has the most current firmware as well).

I love the PQ of both formats but, it seems both have stumbled out of the box a little when it comes to the players. I only got rid of my first DVD player (Sony DVP-S7000) a few years ago and it work flawlessly for over 7 years. It never had a single problem playing any DVD I ever owned and I never felt like I had to worry about it just crapping out one day. I don't have that feeling with either the A1 or the BD-P1000. I don't see myself owning either player for more then a year or 2 because they just don't seem like they will even last that long.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #115 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellerfilm View Post

I covered up the players so no one knew which one was Sony or Samsung.

Out of the fifteen people that came through to look at the players twelve of the fifteen liked the Samsung BDP1200 better.

I did the same test with Into the Blue Blu Ray disk and out of fifteen people fourteen preferred the Samsung BDP1200.

I did one last test with ten people looking at BD-R BDMV. All ten people peferred the Samsung.

So there you go real people looking at what they saw and drawing real unbiased opinions.

OK, this is really starting to catch my attention now. I'd like to know for sure whether the 1200 can decode 1080p24 directly, or whether it depends on the Reon VP, but this could really make a lot of sense, especially for CD & DVD playback as well.

Hmmm, Nick
post #116 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 04:58 PM

The colored dots also display when playing a data CD that contains JPG images. The dots show up when it is loading the next image when using slide show mode - as well as the manual mode when you press the next chapter button on the remote to get to the next image. Very annoying - especially in the slide show mode, where it becomes very tiresome.

It would be nice if Samsung provided a way to disable this "feature".

On another note: As of today, Samsung has not updated their website registration page to include this new model. I hope someone in Samsung is paying attention to us.

Quote:

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #117 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Just talked with my contact at Silicon Optix. The 1200 outputs 24p natively. The Reon is still there for NR and sharpness, but it does not touch the 24p signal. So if you set this player to 1080p24, you are getting it right off the disc.

I will look into picking one up for testing when I get back home. I am on travel right now on the east coast until the 14th.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #118 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM

Interesting news regarding 24p - thanks Kris!
post #119 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Very cool...looking forward to your review, Kris.
24p and HDMI 1.3...maybe it's time to sell my Panny.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #120 of 6049 Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Just talked with my contact at Silicon Optix. The 1200 outputs 24p natively. The Reon is still there for NR and sharpness, but it does not touch the 24p signal. So if you set this player to 1080p24, you are getting it right off the disc.

I will look into picking one up for testing when I get back home. I am on travel right now on the east coast until the 14th.

So then the Broadcom chip supports decoding directly to 1080p24.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page