Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmont74 View Post

Weeds season 2 wont start. I watched 2 episodes last night, but today I cant get the disc to start. The screen goes black and the display says "play" and then 0000 comes up but never starts counting. The screen just stays black and I have to open the tray for the Samsung to go back. Other discs from Sony, Disney and even Weeds season 1 from Lionsgate work......selfdestruct thing on this or what. The disc is prestine and I haven't been messing around with the P1200 either. It has the latest, and only, fw upgrade.

Same experience with Weeds 2 except I only made it through the first episode. I hit stop at the end and now it won't load.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yea, reading some f the post in this tread have me a little worried about the 1200.
I have almost talked Samsung into replacing the 1000 with the newer 1200 but some of the post about skipping and pauses have me questioning this move. So, should I try and get the 1200 or just hold onto the 1000? I'd much rather deal with loading issues because once the disc loads it plays fine (never had a singe skip or pause with the 1000).

I've had my 1200 for about 2 1/2 months now and have had only one problem and that was with the movie Deja Vu which froze twice during playback. This movie has been highly noted for being defective and had problems in all players, not just the Samsung. Other than that one problem, I have not had any problems...skipping, freezing, audio dropouts, etc. I have watched about 40 Blu ray titles, both owned and rentals and maybe 10 sd dvd titles. Great player. I'd highly recommend getting it if you can.

PS...the 1200 also upconverts sd dvd's better than any other Blu ray player out there...in my opinion , and many others too ! Good luck.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Weeds season 2 wont start. The screen goes black and the display says "play" and then 0000 comes up but never starts counting. The screen just stays black and I have to open the tray for the Samsung to go back. Other discs from Sony, Disney and even Weeds season 1 from Lionsgate work, and Weeds 2 works flawlessly on my PS3 (a region B player!).

The same goes for disc 2 - wont start, but works on the PS3. The disc is prestine and I haven't been messing around with the P1200 either. It has the latest, and only, fw upgrade. I think there were similar problems with Crank (also Lionsgate) if my memory serves me correct.

Still no others who are experiencing the same problems with Weeds season 2?

I have e-mailed Samsung through their site, but still no answer. Do any one have a direct e-mail adress to their support? I'd appreciatie it very much.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:

Still no others who are experiencing the same problems with Weeds season 2?

I have e-mailed Samsung through their site, but still no answer. Do any one have a direct e-mail adress to their support? I'd appreciatie it very much.

I guess you didn't see my post bout 3 above. I called them today and they acted like they have never heard of this problem.

Dave
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post

I guess you didn't see my post bout 3 above. I called them today and they acted like they have never heard of this problem.

Thanks, must have been to tired and missed the post Then at least it's not just my player. I'll try to get in contact with them again about this.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 AM

OK guys I have a question -

I am looking to either purchase this player or the Sony S300 and would like some feedback:

1) It looks like this player does not output Dolby TruHD or DST HD, but rather converts everything to PCM (is this correct)? If so, how is the sound difference between the two?

2) Does this player come with an HDMI cable in the box and is it good or do I need to get another higher quality HDMI cable?

3) The ethernet port - does it connect directly to the internet or do I need to network it to my pc to "talk"? I'm hoping I can just plug and pray

4) If this unit does not play Dolby TruHD or DTS HD - what are the odds of it getting a firmware update to do this in the future?

Thanks,

John

PS - any other input would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitale View Post

I am looking to either purchase this player or the Sony S300 and would like some feedback:

1) It looks like this player does not output Dolby TruHD or DST HD, but rather converts everything to PCM (is this correct)? If so, how is the sound difference between the two?

2) Does this player come with an HDMI cable in the box and is it good or do I need to get another higher quality HDMI cable?

3) The ethernet port - does it connect directly to the internet or do I need to network it to my pc to "talk"? I'm hoping I can just plug and pray

4) If this unit does not play Dolby TruHD or DTS HD - what are the odds of it getting a firmware update to do this in the future?

Thanks,

John

PS - any other input would also be greatly appreciated.

Hello John,

These are the answers:

1) No. It process Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD as regular Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 respectively. If you set the digital output as bitstream, it will transmit Dolby Digital and DTS from coaxial/optical and HDMI. If PCM is chosen as digital output, then regular Dolby Digital and DTS will be converted to PCM prior to sending the signal.

2) No. You have to buy a cable.

3) No. The ethernet port must be connected to your DSL/Cable modem to work.

4) Frankly, no one knows if we will receive a firmware to process Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD internally or output digitally using the HDMI 1.3 capability.

At this point, I recommend you to wait before you buy a Blu-ray disc player. Or you'll be buying 2 or 3 more players until the manufacturers build a full featured one.

Also, keep in mind the BD-P1200 doesn't drop resolution of discs recorded in 1080i like the rest when converting to 1080p. The Silicon Optix Reon chip do wonders not only to SD DVD but to HD conversions as well. Most, if not all, players tested dropped 1080i to 540p to convert to 1080p. Most concerts, documentaries, etc... are recorded in 1080i.

Hope it helps.

Garnot
Old 07-29-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post

Hello John,

These are the answers:

1) No. It process Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD as regular Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 respectively. If you set the digital output as bitstream, it will transmit Dolby Digital and DTS from coaxial/optical and HDMI. If PCM is chosen as digital output, then regular Dolby Digital and DTS will be converted to PCM prior to sending the signal.

2) No. You have to buy a cable.

3) No. The ethernet port must be connected to your DSL/Cable modem to work.

4) Frankly, no one knows if we will receive a firmware to process Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD internally or output digitally using the HDMI 1.3 capability.

At this point, I recommend you to wait before you buy a Blu-ray disc player. Or you'll be buying 2 or 3 more players until the manufacturers build a full featured one.

Also, keep in mind the BD-P1200 doesn't drop resolution of discs recorded in 1080i like the rest when converting to 1080p. The Silicon Optix Reon chip do wonders not only to SD DVD but to HD conversions as well. Most, if not all, players tested dropped 1080i to 540p to convert to 1080p. Most concerts, documentaries, etc... are recorded in 1080i.

Hope it helps.

Garnot

Also, not sure if this is a firmware problem or not, but it can't send more than 5.1 PCM audio. You can see this on Crank with has 6.1 PCM audio, the receiver will only show 5.1 coming in.

I'm hoping that this is able to be corrected with a firmware release, but I'm not optimistic. As others have said previously, supposedly Samsung doesn't add features to their players and they may feel that not being able to send 6.1 or 7.1 audio is not a bug and therefor feel they don't need to fix it.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitale View Post

1) It looks like this player does not output Dolby TruHD or DST HD, but rather converts everything to PCM (is this correct)? ...

The P1200 do not output TrueHD or DTS HD as bitstream, and it do not convert it to PCM, but keep in mind, at the time of writing, neither do the Sony S300. Both the P1200 and Sony S300 send the regular DTS and DD 5.1 stream only.

The Sony S1 (if fw upgraded to 2.0) can decode TrueHD in the player and send as PCM.

IF Samsung decide to issue fw updates regarding DTS MA, TrueHD and PCM 7.1 via bitstream the P1200 is capable of it since it has the HDMI 1.3 connection.
The Sony S300 dont have HDMI 1.3 and won't be able to carry lossless audio formats via bitstream, maybe decode in player and send as PCM if upgraded. (Check the users thread for the S300. I thought it was capable of TrueHD and had HDMI 1.3, but I was wrong). So the Samsung P1200 is CAPABLE of being a really great player, if Samsung provide the fw upgrades that is.

No players at this time can output DTS MA to bitstream or convert it to PCM.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Yea, reading some f the post in this tread have me a little worried about the 1200. I got rid of my A1 (upgraded to the A2) because of skipping and pausing. I can suffer through slow load times and sluggish menus but, skipping and pausing during playback are unacceptable IMO.

Here is my problem; I currently have a BD-P1000 but it has been sent out to Samsung for a second time for repair because it, for some reason, likes to decide which disc it is going to load and when it is going to load them. I'm tired of having to reboot the 1000 with the disc in the player just to get it to load the dumb thing.

I have almost talked Samsung into replacing the 1000 with the newer 1200 but some of the post about skipping and pauses have me questioning this move. So, should I try and get the 1200 or just hold onto the 1000? I'd much rather deal with loading issues because once the disc loads it plays fine (never had a singe skip or pause with the 1000).

I tell you what, compared to DVD's launch, early adopters are getting dragged through the mudd this time around with all these clunky players. I never had these problems with early DVD players.

Don't let the reports of freezing and skipping here alter your decision to buy the 1200. Keep in mind the minority of people who have problems will be the loudest about the issues they experience. The 99.5% of people who don't have problems will never appear on boards like this.

I have played 40 plus discs through my player and have only experienced skipping or freezing on Netflix discs which I caulk up to scratches and dirty. All discs I own, which are pristine, never have issues.

The only thing that should keep you from buying this player would be next generation audio codec support. If this is a must for you then pass on this player. I really want a player which decodes TrueHD and DTS-MA at the player. My hope was for a firmware upgrade but that is unlikely give the pending release of the 1400.

I love the video quality and upscaling. So long as the number of disks with uncompressed PCM grows I will be fine. Once the numbers dwindle, I will have to seek a new player. I have too much invested in the sound aspects of my home theater to not take advantage of lossless audio.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM

If anyone knows the answer to this...please let me know as my 30 day return for my 1200 expires on Tuesday. From what I have read of the early reviews and specs of the 1400...it does not appear to have the HQV upconversion processor that is found in the 1200. That only the 2400 has the HQV processor. The 1400 has the newer audio processing chip, but not the higher quality video processor. Am I reading this right. Because if so...I will just keep my 1200 as I would rather have the HQV upconversion than the audio as I don't currently have a receiver that can handle the higher quality audio. And, I don't want to wait until October to get the 2400.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
yukong: your summary is what I understand to be the case.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM

Well, if that's the case, then I'm sticking with the 1200 as I want the HQV video processing. Image quality is more important to me than sound quality. When the day comes that I can upgrade my audio system...then I will look at the then available blu-ray players.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukong View Post

Well, if that's the case, then I'm sticking with the 1200 as I want the HQV video processing. Image quality is more important to me than sound quality. When the day comes that I can upgrade my audio system...then I will look at the then available blu-ray players.

Your thinking is basically the same as mine when I decided to go ahead and get the 1200 a few months ago, rather than waiting for everything to settle down (which I think may take another yr or 2). The 1200 does a fabulous job PQ-wise, for sd dvd as well as BR.

Furthermore, most BRD's have a 5.1 PCM audio track, which the 1200 can output perfectly well over HDMI; so if you have a model AVR that receives this, you can receive hi def audio as good as it gets. Some of the new AVRs are also able to apply 'post processing' that expands the 5.1 to a 7.1 speaker setup. So I'm planning to get a new AVR this fall (my current Pio 1014 is ~ 3 yrs old) that will keep the sammy 1200 current for a yr or 2, until all the BR/HD DVD business is resolved.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

millermill, I have the new Onkyo 805 which can decode all the new audio formats. Does the Sammy 1200 pass all newer audio formats including DTS HD MA to the receiver to decode?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukong View Post

Same here.

Look...there's one of them now !
Johnny STOP IT !
(Night of the Living Dead)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

millermill, I have the new Onkyo 805 which can decode all the new audio formats. Does the Sammy 1200 pass all newer audio formats including DTS HD MA to the receiver to decode?

No to passing the bitstream on all the lossless codecs.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alex, No, the 1200--and I don't think any of the existing BRD's--pass the new audio formats via bitstream to an AVR for decoding. Some of the BR players to decode TrueHD, etc., audio internally and pass them to the AVR via PCM, but the Sammy does not even do this. That is why people have noted that the 1200, while perhaps the best BRD for video, is not as capable as some other audio-wise. However the 1200 does pass the 5.1 PCM track from BR discs--which is the same hi quality at TrueHD, etc.--and my understanding is that the Onkyo 805 is then able to apply post-processing (e.g., THX) to 7.1. So if the BR disc has a PCM sound track, as most of them do, then the 1200 does everything you want also audio-wise with you 805. (And the 805 is my top prospect at present for choice of a new AVR.)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Alex, No, the 1200--and I don't think any of the existing BRD's--pass the new audio formats via bitstream to an AVR for decoding. Some of the BR players to decode TrueHD, etc., audio internally and pass them to the AVR via PCM, but the Sammy does not even do this. That is why people have noted that the 1200, while perhaps the best BRD for video, is not as capable as some other audio-wise. However the 1200 does pass the 5.1 PCM track from BR discs--which is the same hi quality at TrueHD, etc.--and my understanding is that the Onkyo 805 is then able to apply post-processing (e.g., THX) to 7.1. So if the BR disc has a PCM sound track, as most of them do, then the 1200 does everything you want also audio-wise with you 805. (And the 805 is my top prospect at present for choice of a new AVR.)

Once you experience the new audio formats through the 805 there is going back. I just want to make sure whatever Blu-Ray player I buy (currently the 2400 is on top of my list), is able to do all the audio decoding and able to pass all bitstream via HDMI.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Once you experience the new audio formats through the 805 there is going back. I just want to make sure whatever Blu-Ray player I buy (currently the 2400 is on top of my list), is able to do all the audio decoding and able to pass all bitstream via HDMI.

Alex, Again, all the BR players at present (don't know about the 2400) decode the auido codices internally, and then pass the result to the AVR via PCM. The AVR then applies post-processing, BM, etc. (BTW, I have enjoyed reading your posts in the 805 forum as I'm researching this decision!)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alex, Again, all the BR players at present (don't know about the 2400) decode the auido codices internally, and then pass the result to the AVR via PCM. The AVR then applies post-processing, BM, etc. (BTW, I have enjoyed reading your posts in the 805 forum as I'm researching this decision!)

Thanks millerwill. All the reading I have done on the 2400 have led me to believe the 2400 will do that. Let's hope it does.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:

... most BRD's have a 5.1 PCM audio track, which the 1200 can output perfectly well over HDMI; so if you have a model AVR that receives this, you can receive hi def audio as good as it gets. ....

Yes, but unfortunately Warner have started to do more and more titles with TrueHD and no PCM. The Reaping, Letters from Iwo Jima and now the Kubrick collection. Lets just hope Blade Runner go PCM. Even Sony did only TrueHD on Immortal Beloved.
I'm all for lossless formats, but they should make good use of the 50 gb disc and always put on a PCM track, and then if space allows, TrueHD or DTS MA. On 300, Fifth Element and Ghostrider they had PCM and an additional TrueHD.

But as long as Warner and others go "only TrueHD" I really hope Samsung get their act together and issue a fw that decodes it to PCM in the player.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM

I am using a 1200 with a Pioneer VSX 816. I tried hooking up with analogue outs and had very low output from LFE. Checked all settings on Pioneer and were ok. Called Pioneer tech support and a waste of time. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM

sold mine today, couldnt wait for 24fps to be solved.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urte View Post

sold mine today, couldnt wait for 24fps to be solved.

? But the 1200 puts out 1080p/24. ?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 AM

yes,but lipsync is not working
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urte View Post

yes,but lipsync is not working

Hm, never have had this problem. Too bad it didn't work for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM

on a pioneer 507 1080/24
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hm, never have had this problem. Too bad it didn't work for you.

Try popping in POTC black pearl. You will see it. It only happens with certain codecs and only when outputting 1080p/24hz. Example POTC which is AVC. The 1200 appears to have a problem with this combination.

I sold my 1200 because of this glitch. Samsung should have fixed it by now.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Try popping in POTC black pearl. You will see it. It only happens with certain codecs and only when outputting 1080p/24hz. Example POTC which is AVC. The 1200 appears to have a problem with this combination.

I sold my 1200 because of this glitch. Samsung should have fixed it by now.

Is this something that could be adjusted for in the AVR for a temporary workaround until it is fixed in the player?

Tags
Samsung Bd P1200 Blu Ray Disc Player