post #91 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Of course the PS3 is behind in the market. It's still new. It's encouraging to see more out this early for the PS3 than the PS2 had at this point from it's launch, or the 360. (The PS2 seems to have come out okay).

Also, making a big deal out of CONFIRMED is plain silly. Of course games for the PS3 will take longer to confirm. There are still new things in the development process that have to be figured out. Do you have any idea of what it takes to produce a new product versus one you've been making for over a year? I'm guessing you're not an engineer.

Sorry but you are trying to compare the PS2 to the PS3 which people need to stop with that comparision because the PRICE is the main factor on difference. Starting at 299.99 in your lifespan compared to 599.99 is a huge difference. Not saying it won't sale but so far it is not going the same route all over the world as it did for the PS2. You make those comparisions and don't factor at all the price difference. Yes the PS2 did alright but the PS3 is not on the same track. It is already clear this is a different scenario from before just because PS3's are now on the market doesn't make it a fact that it will be in the lead. The same goes for the 360 with its price for the average consumer but it was first to the market. I don't see any indication HD-DVD not included is slowing it down or the fact that games are on DVD9.

How is it silly to state about confirm or how come it is hard to believe alot of people don't wait on potential they like to know somthing is confirmed vs a maybe. Same thing goes with all the exclusives so far that have now gone multi but yet the 360 continues to get exclusives after a 1 1/2 on the market. Not sure what worries their needs to be.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover View Post

OMG, is there a more hype game than Halo 3. I played Halo 1 on the xbox and thought it was rather boring, as CS Source and Half-Life blew it away at that time. While I agree it is going to be highly anticipated, I feel it won't live up to the hype and the people who are interested in Halo 3 already brought the Xbox360. I think the games coming out this year for the pS3 will be comparable to the ones for the xbox. Sony doesn't need a Halo 3 killer, it just needs a solid lineup and along with bluray capabilities and a price drop, I think it will do fine this year.

Agreed. Halo is NOT a fun game to me. Most shooters are rather boring in my opinion. I much prefer sports and driving games. NBA 2K7 is keeping me quite happy right now, and MLB 2K7 just came out. Once I'm done with those, Motorstorm and F1 are next on my list while I wait for GT5 to come out next year.

Have you thought about trying games that aren't violent and pointless? In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying my Blu Ray movies to.
post #93 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Sorry but you are trying to compare the PS2 to the PS3 which people need to stop with that comparision because the PRICE is the main factor on difference. Starting at 299.99 in your lifespan compared to 599.99 is a huge difference. Not saying it won't sale but so far it is not going the same route all over the world as it did for the PS2. You make those comparisions and don't factor at all the price difference. Yes the PS2 did alright but the PS3 is not on the same track. It is already clear this is a different scenario from before just because PS3's are now on the market doesn't make it a fact that it will be in the lead. The same goes for the 360 with its price for the average consumer but it was first to the market. I don't see any indication HD-DVD not included is slowing it down or the fact that games are on DVD9.

How is it silly to state about confirm or how come it is hard to believe alot of people don't wait on potential they like to know somthing is confirmed vs a maybe. Same thing goes with all the exclusives so far that have now gone multi but yet the 360 continues to get exclusives after a 1 1/2 on the market. Not sure what worries their needs to be.

Exclusives have never been a big a deal as people suggest. Null argument. As for the PS2/PS3 price comparison, the PS3 is about 25% more expensive than the PS2 at launch. Ever hear of the time value of money? If you look at both in today's dollars, they aren't too far apart. So, I guess that makes your price argument pretty small too. What else have you got? Something better I hope...

As for the dominance factor, the pendulum will continue to swing with each generation of the three consoles. There's a reason they don't all release new versions at the same time. (That's what a marketing degree would tell you.) Second, it's unreasonable to think that the same console will dominate each generation from the start. The market clearly supports 3 consoles, as it has for the last 15 years. The players change every few years, and each generation starts over. When the next XBOX (not the Elite upgrade, next gen)comes out, there will be a few million more PS3s than it when it launches. MS will be facing the uphill battle that Sony is right now.

If you learn anything when you get to college, study how the economy and markets work in this world. Your disregard for the past will teach you a lesson and be a bitter pill to swallow when you do. That doesn't mean the past will exactly repeat itself, but you can make very valid comparisons. And, that is the difference between someone who makes good future plans, and someone who doesn't. I don't know if the PS3 will ever catch up to the number of XBOX 360s. But, I know it is doing better than the PS2 did in many respects, and when MS has to upgrade the XBOX in a couple of years, there will be more PS3s than the new version of the XBOX. I'm done. Hope you learned something, and you should look into college soon.
post #94 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Exclusives have never been a big a deal as people suggest. Null argument. As for the PS2/PS3 price comparison, the PS3 is about 25% more expensive than the PS2 at launch. Ever hear of the time value of money? If you look at both in today's dollars, they aren't too far apart. So, I guess that makes your price argument pretty small too. What else have you got? Something better I hope...

As for the dominance factor, the pendulum will continue to swing with each generation of the three consoles. There's a reason they don't all release new versions at the same time. (That's what a marketing degree would tell you.) Second, it's unreasonable to think that the same console will dominate each generation from the start. The market clearly supports 3 consoles, as it has for the last 15 years. The players change every few years, and each generation starts over. When the next XBOX (not the Elite upgrade, next gen)comes out, there will be a few million more PS3s than it when it launches. MS will be facing the uphill battle that Sony is right now.

If you learn anything when you get to college, study how the economy and markets work in this world. Your disregard for the past will teach you a lesson and be a bitter pill to swallow when you do. That doesn't mean the past will exactly repeat itself, but you can make very valid comparisons. And, that is the difference between someone who makes good future plans, and someone who doesn't. I don't know if the PS3 will ever catch up to the number of XBOX 360s. But, I know it is doing better than the PS2 did in many respects, and when MS has to upgrade the XBOX in a couple of years, there will be more PS3s than the new version of the XBOX. I'm done. Hope you learned something, and you should look into college soon.

Sparky don't even try that one me It is not that serious as you make it. For god sake this is the internet and I don't need to discuss my degrees. Plus please don't try that history sh*t with me I am fully aware of how things have gone on since this industry has started and I honestly can care less about having a BS match about it. You have your opinion I have mine and regardless of the outcome of what will happen in 2-3 years down the road well we will just see.

Again I am not sure who the hell you think I am because it is a bit ignorant for you to assume what I have or have not done or anyone here on this forum has done in they life like go to college. Partner I have a profile you can check out if you like. My whole life story isn't on there but its a start.

The 5.0 is here
post #95 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Odd, I seem to have stumbled into the Gamespot forums....
post #96 of 155 Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM

some people are despert for sony to fail.

113 Blu ray movies 600+ dvd
post #97 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63 View Post

Face it man the time for PS3 to shine is very limited if not already passed. If anything Ps3 needs to announce quite a few CONFIRMED AAA titles that are on the horizon and at the moment the only ones are Heavenly Sword,Lair,Ratchet and Clank,Warhawk and Killzone. And all those gems have to go against the juggernaut that is Halo 3.

Halo is nice, but can be overrated. Just look at Halo 2 (buggy and not fun).
In my opinion and many others, Resistance is a better FPS than Halo 2. Try it someday.

Those games you highlighted are in different genre from Halo. I don't think Halo's sales will affect them.

Quote:

PS3 is only 5 months old. The market is huge enough for it to grow at its own pace. When the number of PS3 is large enough, new exclusive will come. It's already at about 3 million within 5 months.

PS3 development is also harder and the tools are less mature, so initial games took longer to come, but they will arrive.

Sony is an innovative and aggressive company. Even though they launched later than MS, they are quicker to reduce the CPU to 65nm, they are also exploring new business models to offset the high price of PS3:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1238b9f2-e79...b5df10621.html

The war is hardly over.
post #98 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sparky don't even try that one me It is not that serious as you make it. For god sake this is the internet and I don't need to discuss my degrees. Plus please don't try that history sh*t with me I am fully aware of how things have gone on since this industry has started and I honestly can care less about having a BS match about it. You have your opinion I have mine and regardless of the outcome of what will happen in 2-3 years down the road well we will just see.

Again I am not sure who the hell you think I am because it is a bit ignorant for you to assume what I have or have not done or anyone here on this forum has done in they life like go to college. Partner I have a profile you can check out if you like. My whole life story isn't on there but its a start.

All I know about you is what you post. And so far, that hasn't been impressive. Nice use of profanity. Way to keep it civil.

Yes, time will tell. I'm already starting to hear complaints from XBOX owners about having to buy the Elite if they want to have HDMI and spend more money than they already have. I have a feeling there will be even more complaining when MS brings out the new XBOX in a few years that will cost about the same as the PS3 with equal capability. That will be 3 consoles in 5 years. Adding the price of those will make the PS3 look like a steal.
post #99 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, time will tell. I'm already starting to hear complaints from XBOX owners about having to buy the Elite if they want to have HDMI and spend more money than they already have.

Nothing suprising here which was no different when the PS3 was announced at its price and people complaining BR is being forced on them.

The 5.0 is here
post #100 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a feeling there will be even more complaining when MS brings out the new XBOX in a few years that will cost about the same as the PS3 with equal capability

Do u know somthing we don't becuase you keep pointing this out and what price do u think that will be since the PS3's price should eventually drop. You say in a few years, rather then me guessing what is a few years too you?

The 5.0 is here
post #101 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover View Post

OMG, is there a more hype game than Halo 3. I played Halo 1 on the xbox and thought it was rather boring, as CS Source and Half-Life blew it away at that time. While I agree it is going to be highly anticipated, I feel it won't live up to the hype and the people who are interested in Halo 3 already brought the Xbox360. I think the games coming out this year for the pS3 will be comparable to the ones for the xbox. Sony doesn't need a Halo 3 killer, it just needs a solid lineup and along with bluray capabilities and a price drop, I think it will do fine this year.

A TON of people will purchase a 360 this fall just for Halo 3. Let's not even go into what the Christmas season will do for MS. If Halo was all hype as you say, then why did Halo 2 absolutely obliterate sales numbers in a 24 hour period? Why is Halo 2 STILL the Number 1 XBL game? Why are people still playing it if it's all hype?

Want to talk hype, look in the direction of the "Theater System" otherwise known as the PS3. The Wii and 360 are gaming machines while the PS3 is a vessel for Blu-Ray. The facts are simple. Just look at the poll as to which BR player people are using. Look at the timing on the first wave of Blu-Ray discs. Coincidence that it was right after the PS3 was released? Coincidence that BR didn't overtake HD-DVD until January? Look at the PS3 attach rate for games. Enthusiasts like the ones on this forum are making up the majority of PS3 sales.

Even if Sony did a price drop, what's to stop MS from absolutely steamrolling Sony by announcing one of their own? Halo 3 and GTA4 at $200 cheaper will be too enticing to pass up come Fall and Holiday season. Face it, Sony made the biggest blunder as far as gaming is concerned when they focused more on making Blu-Ray the standard media format rather than a gaming console.
post #102 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren613 View Post

If using one BD disc + using harddrive space was more expensive for production then they would simply use another disc. I don't know how familiar you are with disc production and game design, but adding another disc is a pretty annoying thing for developers to have to deal with, and it ends up costing them more money.

My point is that one BD is more expensive in production than two DVDs. Even if that wouldn't be the case, there are only very few 360 games, that need more than one DVD, whereas every PS3 game has to use the pricey BD.

Quote:

This same trick has been done with great success on the PC for years. To think of it as a downside is silly, since the PS3 presents all the same options to developers and gamers as the 360, plus many more.

The PS3 user has the following options:
1. play games plug'n'play, but life with longer load times than 360
3. hope that the game makes excessive use of the HDD, which might reduce load times to those of the 360
2. manually copy data to HDD to reduce the load time to less than 360
So, in most cases the PS3 will be loading the contents slower than the 360 does.
Plus, the third option doesn't have to be PS3-exclusive, 360 developers could do that as well.

The differences of consoles to PCs: PCs are NOT plug'n'play. You are forced to install data to HDD. If the same would apply to the PS3 someday, it would NOT be an advantage. The second difference: consoles do not need to be upgraded. That also means that they have a fixed amount of disk space. Is the hard disk full, the user has to delete game data -- not very comfortable.

Quote:

Also, the Playstation 3 has more games coming out for it this year than any of the other next gen systems. Just thought that was an interesting and little known fact.

That's not true.
post #103 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

A TON of people will purchase a 360 this fall just for Halo 3. Let's not even go into what the Christmas season will do for MS. If Halo was all hype as you say, then why did Halo 2 absolutely obliterate sales numbers in a 24 hour period? Why is Halo 2 STILL the Number 1 XBL game? Why are people still playing it if it's all hype?

Better games can come to the PS3 platform by this Christmas too. As I mentioned, Resistance is better than Halo 2 Multiplayer (larger maps, no lag, clans, spectator mode, much better weapons, races with different capability), and Insomniac keeps updating it.

Quote:
Want to talk hype, look in the direction of the "Theater System" otherwise known as the PS3. The Wii and 360 are gaming machines while the PS3 is a vessel for Blu-Ray. The facts are simple. Just look at the poll as to which BR player people are using. Look at the timing on the first wave of Blu-Ray discs. Coincidence that it was right after the PS3 was released? Coincidence that BR didn't overtake HD-DVD until January? Look at the PS3 attach rate for games. Enthusiasts like the ones on this forum are making up the majority of PS3 sales.

Even if Sony did a price drop, what's to stop MS from absolutely steamrolling Sony by announcing one of their own? Halo 3 and GTA4 at $200 cheaper will be too enticing to pass up come Fall and Holiday season. Face it, Sony made the biggest blunder as far as gaming is concerned when they focused more on making Blu-Ray the standard media format rather than a gaming console.

When the price of PS3 is low enough, it does not matter whether MS's price is lower. You can do more with PS3. Period.
post #104 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an9el View Post

My point is that one BD is more expensive in production than two DVDs. Even if that wouldn't be the case, there are only very few 360 games, that need more than one DVD, whereas every PS3 game has to use the pricey BD.

The PS3 user has the following options:
1. play games plug'n'play, but life with longer load times than 360
3. hope that the game makes excessive use of the HDD, which might reduce load times to those of the 360
2. manually copy data to HDD to reduce the load time to less than 360
So, in most cases the PS3 will be loading the contents slower than the 360 does.
Plus, the third option doesn't have to be PS3-exclusive, 360 developers could do that as well.

The differences of consoles to PCs: PCs are NOT plug'n'play. You are forced to install data to HDD. If the same would apply to the PS3 someday, it would NOT be an advantage. The second difference: consoles do not need to be upgraded. That also means that they have a fixed amount of disk space. Is the hard disk full, the user has to delete game data -- not very comfortable.

I'm only commenting on what I put in bold.. The PS3 has a standard laptop HDD. why do you think lots og people went out and got the 20GIG and then slaped a 160 GIG HD in them. In the instructions it TELLS you HOW TO remove the Hard Drive. The Xbox I do not have and will not comment on.

Each system has it's pro's and conn's... I personaly thought the Xbox was more of an evolution not a "next gen" console (BUT I never really looked at it too hard)
post #105 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

When the price of PS3 is low enough, it does not matter whether MS's price is lower. You can do more with PS3. Period.

We're on an audio/video enthusiast forum. What you see here does NOT occur in the regular world. People don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Besides BR, there is nothing that the PS3 has to offer that I can't get on the 360. The price drop that you are talking about is MANY years away. Only then will it affect people's purchasing habits as far as consoles are concerned.
post #106 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepjohn View Post

Each system has it's pro's and conn's... I personaly thought the Xbox was more of an evolution not a "next gen" console (BUT I never really looked at it too hard)

It is a bit of an evolution, particularly for anyone with "Xbox Media Center" and 720p output from the original. It's definitely more polished, though.

For the PS3 one very important thing to remember is the strength of PS2 sales. Sony is obviously looking to transition these to PS3, but they're not going to kill the golden goose that's still delivering for them (still better sales than the 360 for Febuary, according to VGCharts). Combined PS2 and PS3 sales still have Sony with a very comfortable lead on the Wii and MS is in 3rd place.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #107 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

We're on an audio/video enthusiast forum. What you see here does NOT occur in the regular world. People don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

You forgot 'yet'. People don't care about HD-DVD or Blu-ray yet. More and more will.

Quote:

Besides BR, there is nothing that the PS3 has to offer that I can't get on the 360.

Perhaps that's why you don't own a PS3. You think PS3 has nothing to offer to you. For me, the ability to play both BR and games in a stable package cheaply is a starting point. There are exclusive content on both fronts for PS3.

Moving forward... Sony has also shown Playstation Home, Remote Play and DLNA. Further down the road, Sony's CTO is also discussing with companies for PS3 owners to sell their computing power to run R&D applications like Folding @Home.

Quote:

The price drop that you are talking about is MANY years away. Only then will it affect people's purchasing habits as far as consoles are concerned.

I don't think you are credible enough to make any statement about Sony's future. Sony will drop the price as and when it sees fit.
post #108 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Don't care about a SIMS/Second Life/360 Achievement system and don't own a PSP and never will. The type of price drop that the PS3 needs is years away. Even at $400 the 360 isn't selling like the PS2 was.

Credibility? You're giving me BS excuses like Folding and other NON gaming features. Give me real reasons to own a PS3. I've tried a PS3 at a buddy's and it's nothing special. Tell me, did you buy a PS3 to play games or to play Blu-Ray movies, install Linux, and to cure diseases? Doing this is like buying a firetruck so you can use it's ladder to get onto the roof to clean the gutters.
post #109 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Online gaming for free on any non-exclusive sports / shooter is the only reason you need. No XBL Gold is not expensive, but when I'm paying for it, I resent the waste when I don't play for a month or even two. This reason was why I cancelled the MMORPG's i was paying for, as well as only doing my trial of XBL Gold (long since expired).

I'll pay BF2, 2142, Rome: Total War/Realism, NWN, etc On the PC all for free. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay MSFT or anyone else for the privelege to play my buddies at Madden, NBA, when the PS3/PSN let me do it for nothing. The fact that 40 person deathmatchs of resistance are as enjoyable as any of my BF2 games is just icing on the cake. If/when when I ignore any of all at leisure and know that no money was 'wasted and I can go to my Real World (tm) hobbies like cars, guns, etc and not give a shiznit.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #110 of 155 Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Don't care about a SIMS/Second Life/360 Achievement system and don't own a PSP and never will. The type of price drop that the PS3 needs is years away. Even at $400 the 360 isn't selling like the PS2 was.

LOL. Nope. PS2 sell more than 360 in most countries. Only recently does 360 sell comparable to today's PS2 (a last gen console) _in US_.

As for price drop for PS3, like I said, I don't think you're a credible source. So let's just save some typing and breadth.

Quote:

Credibility? You're giving me BS excuses like Folding and other NON gaming features. Give me real reasons to own a PS3. I've tried a PS3 at a buddy's and it's nothing special. Tell me, did you buy a PS3 to play games or to play Blu-Ray movies, install Linux, and to cure diseases? Doing this is like buying a firetruck so you can use it's ladder to get onto the roof to clean the gutters.

I'm afraid that's correct. You have close to zero credibility regarding news of PS3 price drop. For a start, do you work for Sony ?

Trying a PS3 at a buddy's place ? Yeah I tried a 360 at the shop too... playing choppy Gears of War (like a slide show). Does that give me an accurate assessment of the console ? Nope.

If you can't see the benefits and excitement of PS3, it's your business. But the capabilities are there. And yes, I did end up installing Linux on my PS3 and I'm folding too from time to time
post #111 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the history of PS2. There's a historical price chart in it. It should save everyone some bickering time. The advantage of buying early is the bragging rights, and the advantage of waiting is generally you will get better prices the longer you wait --- this is true of all electronics gear including HDTV.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2
post #112 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

The PS#/Blu Ray crowd amaze me. When someone says you need great games to sell game systems all they can say is hardware, hardware, hardware. When you tell that HDDVD has less expensive better hardware they say all that matters is software titles. I agree that exclusive software titles will determine all format batlles eventually, but it is a giant chicken and egg thing.

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #113 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post

The PS#/Blu Ray crowd amaze me. ... When you tell that HDDVD has less expensive better hardware...... but it is a giant chicken and egg thing.

Actually for a PS3 owner HDVD hardware is MORE expensive since any PS3 owner already has blu-ray; why would I spend MORE money on an HDDVD player? Besides, I prefer not to have too many components: PS3, HDMI 7.1 Reciever, HTPC and a cable box and I'm completely covered; no need for another component. So, for me you're correct about the chicken and egg thing; the PS3 was first in my rack so I'm sticking with Blu-ray.

post #114 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 AM

Next thursday March NPD numbers are coming out.Expect a lot of laughs with ps3' number
post #115 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Does anyone think there a chance this will help speed up some price reductions? I'd be tempted to pick one up, but still to pricey for me personally right now.

I picked one up this week, even though I'm pretty sure the price will drop later this year. But I believe it will l lack the hardware emulation of PS2 games in favor of software emulation to save a few bucks.

The European launch of the PS3 omitted the PS2 hardware emulation and it has to emulate the PS2 in software leading to some disappointment.

As a game console, it's overpriced. As a bluray player, the price is competitive. There are some tricks it can do with a PSP (remotely watch/listen to media) that are intriguing. And Sony is trying pretty hard right now so there are a bunch of playable demos of PS3 games free for downloading. I usually don't play a game for more than a few days, so they've already stopped me from buying a couple of games.

Overall, I think the console is really very nice. Is it worth $600? Depends on your point of view.
post #116 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz View Post

Actually for a PS3 owner HDVD hardware is MORE expensive since any PS3 owner already has blu-ray; why would I spend MORE money on an HDDVD player? Besides, I prefer not to have too many components: PS3, HDMI 7.1 Reciever, HTPC and a cable box and I'm completely covered; no need for another component. So, for me you're correct about the chicken and egg thing; the PS3 was first in my rack so I'm sticking with Blu-ray.

Why would you want to spend more money on an HD DVD player when you have a PS3? Because anyone who is seriously into watching movies and HD wil have players from both formats. There are too many good movies in both formats to only stay with one format. For me HD DVD has more movies that I want to watch then bD. Plus on the Warner movies available on both formats the HD DVD titles usually have the better audio which is worth it to get the HD DVD version over the BD. Happy Feet sounded excellent on HD DVD. On BD it was OK. Hopefully the disparity from Warner should change soon.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #117 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 07:57 AM

PS3 sales down 80% week 2? When were HD-DVD sales ever up?
post #118 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnickus View Post

PS3 sales down 80% week 2? When were HD-DVD sales ever up?

PS3 not BD.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #119 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Why do people think the PS3 will last 10 years? Their stupid decision with VRAM and the 2X BD drive will guarantee that we will never see textures like the 360. Google the bandwidth of the BD drive and you will see how ridiculously low it is...this is why a lot of games require installs. The last PS3 game ever made will not even come close to Kameo texture wise.

Look at the latest Heavenly Sword shots...it's obvious they finally moved the build to disc and now the textures are crap compared to the earlier E3 build because there isn't enough drive bandwidth. If the PS3 had a 16X DVD drive it would destroy the 360 graphically and it would probably be cheaper than the Core model.

The PS3 could have easily surpassed the 360 in units sold but the OP's post shows that Sony eliminated their core market in an effort to win the HD disc war so they can get royalties on all the discs sold (just like what they wanted with all their other formats).
post #120 of 155 Old 04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The PS#/Blu Ray crowd amaze me. When someone says you need great games to sell game systems all they can say is hardware, hardware, hardware.

because there are great games on the PS3. I got Motorstorm last weekend and started playing it at Easter with my BIL who was visiting for the weekend. It was enough to make him rush out and get a PS3.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page