Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38712

Does anyone think there a chance this will help speed up some price reductions? I'd be tempted to pick one up, but still to pricey for me personally right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
I think the earliest we can expect price reductions would be this fall, but even that doesn't seem too likely.
post #3 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Not surprising at all.

Everyone who wanted one jumped in the first week.

I don't expect any price reduction until maybe right before the Christmas season, if at all.
post #4 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no demand for the PS3 outside of the hardcore gamer/AVphile with a $600 US dollar and even more expensive UK/AU price point. There won't be more than a small number sold every week.

It's an investment, not a present the same way the PS2 which launched at $299.
post #5 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Not surprising at all. Everyone who wanted one jumped in the first week.

Not to mention that all of the pre-orders were included in the first weeks sales numbers. Week two was destined to be a big drop.
post #6 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I refuse to pay that much for a videogame console...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #7 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Some people look at the price of a high performing car and say the same thing. It's all a matter of preference and what you want. I would have paid more for the PS3 because it has the features I want, and I know it should be selling for close to $1000 given it's production cost. Enjoy your Kia....
post #8 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
High performance car? You are joking aren't you. Or do you just have to much money for your own good?
post #9 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Some people look at the price of a high performing car and say the same thing. It's all a matter of preference and what you want. I would have paid more for the PS3 because it has the features I want, and I know it should be selling for close to $1000 given it's production cost. Enjoy your Kia....

You are right, PS3 is like Porche, feature rich, powerful, high performance. But it's the camry/accord which takes the crown of mass market adoption/high selling car.

I was having a conversation with a lady today and she mentioned about her grandson's upcoming birthday. He asked her for PS3 as present. She told him to wait for 3 years, she can save his b'day present money and buy him that in the 3rd year.

Disclaimer: I am a PS3 Owner.

Manoj
post #10 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

High performance car? You are joking aren't you. Or do you just have to much money for your own good?

Not joking. I'm serious. I know a number of people that don't understand how anyone drives a Kia, and I have other friends (like myself) that think every car should have a turbo, large displacement, and a racing suspension. To each their own. Notice both types of cars sell well. Just like people are buying Wiis, 360s and PS3s right now.
post #11 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

You are right, PS3 is like Porche, feature rich, powerful, high performance. But it's the camry/accord which takes the crown of mass market adoption/high selling car.

Agreed. And when you've driven a Porsche, nothing else will do.
post #12 of 155 Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

yakko,

Quote:

I have other friends (like myself) that think every car should have a turbo, large displacement, and a racing suspension

and you get to use that high performance car on the H-1 at rush hour right
post #13 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

You won't pay 500.00 for an HD game console thats as good , if not slightly better than your Panasonic for BD and will probably get a DTS-MA upgrade, is a good SA-CD player, has hdmi 1.3, and you could surf the net on it on a screen measured in feet...not inches.

Don't know what to say...other than you clearly do not know value when you see it....because the PS3 is a huge bargain.
post #14 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

There is no demand for the PS3 outside of the hardcore gamer/AVphile with a $600 US dollar and even more expensive UK/AU price point. There won't be more than a small number sold every week.

It's an investment, not a present the same way the PS2 which launched at $299.

So was the PS2.....an investment. I recall people being up in arms about the price of the PS2 at the time. The real sales point on this machine was that it included a DVD player.......DVD players were expensive when the PS2 came out.......a friend of mine ran out to buy the PS2 because it included a DVD player.
post #15 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

You won't pay 500.00 for an HD game console thats as good , if not slightly better than your Panasonic for BD and will probably get a DTS-MA upgrade, is a good SA-CD player, has hdmi 1.3, and you could surf the net on it on a screen measured in feet...not inches.

Don't know what to say...other than you clearly do not know value when you see it....because the PS3 is a huge bargain.

For what it includes and what it does, it is a huge bargain.

But then again it's a big jump in price compared to previous consoles.....so a bit of sticker shock to some people. It's also not a whim buy.....most people have to think twice about putting the money out......you not only need the console, but another controller.....maybe a remote.....a couple of games.....possibly a movie, though you can rent these....

When the Xbox 360 came out there was a huge clamor about how expensive that machine was......

Again it's all relative and depends on someone's priorities in life. I've got friends who will not think twice about buying an expensive car but will completely balk at the price of a flat panel monitor........
post #16 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkosmurf View Post

Agreed. And when you've driven a Porsche, nothing else will do.

I agree. It really ruins you! It's so much more than the numbers on paper once you get behind the wheel of one and feel the way it drives.

As for the PS3, I have one because I wanted a blu-ray player. And I figured if blu-ray fails, I still have a good video game player, just like if HD-DVD fails I still will have the unconverting abilities of the HD-A2 for my regular DVD's.

The market these days really isn't too bad. I remember seeing the first progressive scan DVD players on shelves for more than the price of this thing.
post #17 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it includes and what it does, it is a huge bargain.

Yeah, there is no faster protein folder for the money.

Comparing PS3 to a Porsche isn't a very good analogy. Porsche knows that they are not going to sell their cars to everyone and they don't even try. Sony on the other hand wants EVERYONE to buy a PS3. It's a Porsche targeted at the mass market with niche market pricing.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #18 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 06:43 AM

Hi All. I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your points of view and appreciate how civil everyone has been expressing them. I personally am looking forward to purchasing a PS3 for the blu-ray player functions (no coordination for games). I think I was spoiled by the great price I got my current HD player for or else I'd have purchased the ps3 20gig. I do hope the price comes down because the only thing better than owning something you enjoy , is not paying a lot to get it.
post #19 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 AM

thanx to blu-ray. PS3 is way too expensive. Sony should have done what Microsoft did and release blu-ray as an add-on. Had they done that, Sony would have released PS3 earlier, it would cost less, Sony could produce more, it would have lauch the console all over the world at the same time. Which, would mean that Sony would have 20 mil of PS3 sold by now or more. If you assume that every 10th person who owns PS3 would by the add-on then there would be 2mill of blu-ray addons on the market. Now, Sony struggles with both and it will loose the cosole war and draw in the format war at best.
post #20 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not really sure where everyone has gotten this idea that the PS3 price is locked in stone forever. If sales really do fall below the level that Sony is happy with, you can bet they'll drop the price earlier than expected.

Personally, I think the only reason they haven't already done so is to avoid the Osborne effect of drying up demand from the people who are getting ready to buy in. They know demand at the 600 $/Euro+ price point is going to be low and relegated only to a niche market. I suspect that the first chance they get, they're going to drop ~$100 off the price. Would definitely not surprise me to see this happen before summer.
post #21 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george king View Post

yakko,

and you get to use that high performance car on the H-1 at rush hour right

Of course. Thankfully, I live in a place where one can use these things. Your case is like someone buying an HD player with and EDTV. LOL
post #22 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

The market these days really isn't too bad. I remember seeing the first progressive scan DVD players on shelves for more than the price of this thing.

I prefer to buy nice stuff. I've been into DVD since 1997, and during that time, I've bought 3 players. Each was over $1000. PS3 as a Blu Ray was damn cheap, and gives a better picture than my beloved DVD player.
post #23 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The PS3 *is* a bargain for everything that's built into it. However, few people actually NEED everything that's built into it, and that includes the Blu-ray drive.

It's akin to buying a Porsche to transport sheets of drywall.
post #24 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc20000 View Post

thanx to blu-ray. PS3 is way too expensive. Sony should have done what Microsoft did and release blu-ray as an add-on. Had they done that, Sony would have released PS3 earlier, it would cost less, Sony could produce more, it would have lauch the console all over the world at the same time. Which, would mean that Sony would have 20 mil of PS3 sold by now or more. If you assume that every 10th person who owns PS3 would by the add-on then there would be 2mill of blu-ray addons on the market. Now, Sony struggles with both and it will loose the cosole war and draw in the format war at best.

You missing the point. Sony is planning for the future, and MS is in a bind. The problem with an add on player, is that you can't release games in that format because not everyone will have it. Best case, you start releasing games in two formats which will not make the software guys happy.

The 360 is going to have to be replaced in the next couple of years. The rapid advancement of what consumers expect out of games will lead to needing more storage capacity. With the BD drive in the PS3, Sony is set. They have more storage for the software guys to use than is needed. MS is currently stuck with the DVD9 limitiations. They know that, I'm sure they are planning how to handle it. Sony is doing people a favor by subsidizing the expensive units now, and give them a unit that is good for 5 yo 7 years. The current 360 will not have the long term usability that the PS3 does because of the lack of more than a DVD drive for gaming.
post #25 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Sony is doing people a favor" by subsidizing the expensive units now, and give them a unit that is good for 5 yo 7 years.

Thank you Sony, but don't do me any favors.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #26 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

"Sony is doing people a favor" by subsidizing the expensive units now, and give them a unit that is good for 5 yo 7 years.

Thank you Sony, but don't do me any favors.

I'd rather pay 600 dollars now for a system that will last me 10 years, like the last two playstations. What was the life cycle for the xbox?? less then 3. Besides microsoft gives a choice, a choice of nickle and dime for every little thing. 200bux for a harddrive and 100bux for wireless.
post #27 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree....the 360 we own was not a bargain....the PS3 is most definitely a bargain in comparison.

Also...the trojan horse theory was very smart on Sonys part....and as everyone can clearly see...ts making BD the better selling format.

Motorstorm is better than all 6 of the first 360 games I bought my son.....and the 360 is still obscenely loud and runs much hotter than the PS3.
This is comparing to the second 360...because the first died after 7 hours of use.

The PS3 has ran whisper quiet, with zero problems and is a superior player to both 1k BD players I tried.
post #28 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 596
My 360 was definitely a bargain for me. I actually have two. I've used it many times since 2005. They get much more use than my PS3 ever will. But I also just use my PS3 for BD playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #29 of 155 Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I have nothing against the XBOX, but I am in the middle of my second return shipment to the repair shop for the infamous three red light ring problem...which, according to internet reports, is very very common and is the reason MS has extended the warrany out to a year (thank god).

Needless to say, this is the last time for me. My 360 will be Ebay'd shortly upon its return and I will (as I have been) enjoy my PS3 for occasional gaming and movie watching.

The 360 has been, by far, the most shotty piece of consumer electronics my HH has purchased in my 30 years of existence. To top it off, the fan was/is so loud on that thing, I cant imagine how you could watch HD DVD on it. The games are great, but I dont plan on having the 360 in my house beyond its warranty expiration...I have enjoyed it, but have soured on it due to constant breakdowns with very light use.

I dont think Sony has done everything correct w/ the PS3, but its one top notch piece of machinery so far. Polished and silent running, with all the nice 'stylish' touches - USB charge cables, touch sensitve eject and power buttons, trayless drive, etc.
post #30 of 155 Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I undersatnd your point, but for someone like me who does play games but not that much, if the PS3 did not include a Blu-Ray player, I wouldn't look at it twice.

No excitement.

I'd stick with a PS2 or a Wii.

The Blu-Ray PLUS gaming capability is what intriques me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page