Are there any Blu-ray players on the market that decode DTS Master Audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM

No.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

And No!
post #4 of 22 Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Liked: 12
Not to hijack this thread..but are there or will there be a blue-ray player that decodes DD HD, allowing for analogue output?
post #5 of 22 Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the LG did dts Master Audio. No?
post #6 of 22 Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

The LG manual states that the BH-100 does decode DTS Master audio (as well as uncompressed PCM), but only for the analog outputs. It sure sounds like it's doing it too !

BLU RAY - 53+PE (if your quantity is zero, you are missing out on too many movies)
HD DVD - 10 (if your quantity is zero, you are still missing out).
post #7 of 22 Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #8 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
^Doh!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #9 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Okay,

I stand corrected; the manual only states its DTS HD (whatever that might be). Now someone explain to me the difference between DTS HD and DTS HD MA ?

As best as I can tell DTS HD includes two variants: DTS HD MA and a slightly compressed variant DTS HD HR for space-challenged discs. My meager disc collection includes movies with DTS HD MA and DTS HD HR, both of which play just fine in DTS-HD mode. The DTS HD MA discs sound better subjectively, but that could be that expectation thingee at work.

Some websites suggest DTS-HD had been renamed to DTS-HD Master Audio, perhaps after the LG manual had been printed up) but if that's incorrect, I'd like to know.

thx

BLU RAY - 53+PE (if your quantity is zero, you are missing out on too many movies)
post #10 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

So since I still don't understand this maybe someone can answer me. What would be the difference between Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TruHD or DTS HD MA. If they are all uncompressed lossless transfers, they should all sound the same right?
post #11 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
So despite some additional discussion, confusion, and subsequent clarification, the answer to the original question still remains:

No.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 261
NO.

For the near future you will need a player with HDMI 1.3. A receiver or pre-amp will have to do the DTS MA decoding (and if you don't have a PS3) Dolby TrueHD as well. They are coming, but you'll have to wait a few months.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #13 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

So since I still don't understand this maybe someone can answer me. What would be the difference between Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TruHD or DTS HD MA. If they are all uncompressed lossless transfers, they should all sound the same right?

In most cases, there isn't room for 24-bit/48Khz LPCM, so studios downconvert their LPCM to 16-bit. Only a handful of Blu-ray titles with LPCM actually deliver 24/48 master audio. In contrast, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are more efficient means to deliver audio, so with those, you almost always get the original, master quality 24/48 track.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

NO.

For the near future you will need a player with HDMI 1.3. A receiver or pre-amp will have to do the DTS MA decoding (and if you don't have a PS3) Dolby TrueHD as well. They are coming, but you'll have to wait a few months.

Dan

For Blu-Ray you need HDMI 1.3. For HD-DVD you don't because HD-DVD specifies and requires that ALL Decoding be done in the player in terms of DTS-HDMA, DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD.
However there are currently no HD-DVD players that have built in DTS-HDMA or Dolby True-HD (7.1, there are 5.1 models).

Until the CE manufactures a Receiver that has built in Dolby True-HD (5.1, 7.1) and DTS-HDMA decoders built in, we will have to wait. Even then, I think what will happen is Blu-Ray will just continue to convert those signals to LPCM.

There is another problem we are all faced with as well. I only know of two Receivers on the market right now that have the ability to decode and adjust LPCM signals from either format over HDMI. I am hoping that several of the CE companies begin launching receivers with the ability to adjust and tweak an LPCM signal at any ratio. If we can get that feature, who cares about how the films themselves are encoded.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Its totally confusing. And the manufacturers and studios make it worse when they mislabel things. See this chart:
http://www.dts.com/dts-hd/dts-on-bluray-and-hddvd.php

As you can see there are 3 different DTS formats.

DTS Digital Surround: is the regular old plain-jane DTS that we've had for years on DVD. You will find this on some bluray like T2 or Aeon Flux

DTS-HD Master Audio: is the new lossless codec used on Fox discs like X-men. The LG won't be able to decode this nor can any other hardware player. You only get the "core" regular DTS track.

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: is an improved version of the regular DTS codec. Its still a lossy codec. THIS is what the LG player claims to decode. You will find this on Lionsgate titles like Stargate. The problem is that LG and even Lionsgate mislabel this as simply "DTS-HD" when that is not accurate. It should be called DTS-HD HR.

Technically there is no codec called "DTS-HD". There is only HR and MA. But the studios and the CE companies still use DTS-HD to refer to DTS-HD HR. And it just confuses matters even more. So when a player says decoding of DTS-HD you can just assume that that only means HR. Unless they specifically say Master Audio decoding.

Some websites suggest "DTS-HD" is the "old" name for the DTS-HD MA which adds to the confusion. The DTS website you cited does suggest there is the possibility that the "DTS-HD decoders" might come in at least two flavors "DTS HD MA" and DTS HD HR". I'm certainly not familiar with the history but what source(s) suggest the LG cannot possibly support DTS HD MA decoding but will support DTS HD HR decoding ? If this player can support uncompressed 5.1 PCM via the analogs, one might think it would be fairly easy to support DTS HD MA.

It's all subjective, but in general, discs sounded better with PCM soundtracks and the "DTS-HD MA" label than discs with "DTS HD HR": and even more so than with DD+ and "plain-Jane" DTS disks. If the player did no support DTS HD MA, than the output would default to the 1.5Mb/s max for DTS soundtack. The sound from DTS HD MA disks seemed to sound more like 4-6Mb/s; I was getting from the uncompressed auido tracks. than 1.5Mb/s DTS.

Again, this might have been the placebo effect so I need to listen carefully to different disks to evaluate the audio attributes.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Is DTS HD MA from the future? Kinda like Japan is with cell phones and hairstyles.

I mean they get free HD OTA on their cells and spiky purple hair that looks like silk.

Im gonna take the flux capicitor out of my Toyota Yaris. Since the FC is JDM it should work with the PS3.

I let ya'll know what X3 sounds like, when its loslessyier. if i get it to work.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #17 of 22 Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 View Post

There is another problem we are all faced with as well. I only know of two Receivers on the market right now that have the ability to decode and adjust LPCM signals from either format over HDMI. I am hoping that several of the CE companies begin launching receivers with the ability to adjust and tweak an LPCM signal at any ratio.

Which recievers are they?
joe
post #18 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

NO.

Dan

I thought this was discussed a 'few' times before:
You do not need a new receiver with new decoders.
If you have a HDMI 1.1 receiver that supports audio over HDMI you re good to go. Only thing you need is a player with on-board True HD and DTS-MA build-in decoder. But I think they will come this summer........
post #19 of 22 Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

My Pioneer Elite VSX-84 is able to apply post processing to the player generated (or streamed directly off in the case of BD) LPCM signals sent over the HDMI link.

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
post #20 of 22 Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 PM

I feel bad for Dolby and DTS because if all they offer now is lossless PCM compression then they are on the way out. Lossless compression is not something a company can make money on (or should I say should be able to make money on). What these companies provided in the past was lossy compression that still sounded "good". That has value. Lossless compression has no value, as anyone with a PC can attest to all the free lossless compression utilities. Sure, it obviously makes sense to ZIP PCM to reduce space, but these new formats are no longer the magical formats they once were.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 PM

If a blu ray disc is only encoded in dts-hd or dolby hd, would my non-hd receiver be able to play in regular dts or dolby? I have the samsung p1200...
post #22 of 22 Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoef View Post

If a blu ray disc is only encoded in dts-hd or dolby hd, would my non-hd receiver be able to play in regular dts or dolby? I have the samsung p1200...

Yes, spdif output will send a dts or dd "core" to your receiver. I'm unclear on whether it would be limited to 5.1 or if 6.1 (like DTS ES) is supported though, but definitely 5.1 will work fine.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page