Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post

where did you get that. DVD sold 320k in 97 (not even a full year) in the US

From VIDEO BUSINESS. The number refers the amount of players sold to customers. The 320K number might be the amount sold to retailers, I'd guess. Inflation of DVD sales numbers was common at the beginning to hype/push the format. For example, Warren Lieberfarb tried to announce that DVD players had reached the 1 million mark in the summer of 1998. But Billboard (and other publications) showed that sales were far below that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=AnthonyP]
1) why are you watching DVDs?[quote]

Unfortunately, many movies (including many brand new releases) are not available in either high def format.
post #153 of 157 Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

If you want unbiased fact, post your thread in the HD DVD forum...and we would be happy to give you our version. Then you can judge for yourself.

seriously??
post #154 of 157 Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Blu-ray has developed an astounding sales lead over HD-DVD in just a matter of months. In a few recent weeks Blu-ray has outsold HD-DVD over 4 to 1.

Only Blu-ray offers superior image and sound quality, superior storage capacity, and the most movies to choose from (Fox, Sony, MGM, Disney, and Lionsgate are only available on Blu-ray Disc). You also get the satisfaction of knowing that you invested in a format that will be around for many, many years to come. There is only one format to choose if you want to invest in the winning format: Blu-ray Disc.

LOL...this post is so ignorant as well as biased. I have both and i have yet to see many movies on br that have the same video quality as hd dvd...unless the movie is on both formats and the same codec[vc 1] is used then it is a wash. Most br players do a lousy job of upconversion of regular dvd's including the ps3 which is the worst and that will never change because the ps3 uses software to upconvert. The sony and panasonic are ok at this and the pioneer is the best, but then look at the price of those units. Also, some br players dont even play cd's...

My a2 makes dvd's look so close to hd it is shocking. Krinkle you sound like a plant. I get so tired of reading so many biased and uninformed post's I mean am I the only one who is just interested in the best High Definition regardless of format??

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #155 of 157 Old 04-20-2007, 11:55 PM

I would wait to see what happens with the Walmart deal to buy 2 million Chinese HD DVD players. Right now BR has an edge, but this could change the momentum significantly.
post #156 of 157 Old 04-21-2007, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

LOL...this post is so ignorant as well as biased. I have both and i have yet to see many movies on br that have the same video quality as hd dvd...unless the movie is on both formats and the same codec[vc 1] is used then it is a wash. Most br players do a lousy job of upconversion of regular dvd's including the ps3 which is the worst and that will never change because the ps3 uses software to upconvert. The sony and panasonic are ok at this and the pioneer is the best, but then look at the price of those units. Also, some br players dont even play cd's...

My a2 makes dvd's look so close to hd it is shocking. Krinkle you sound like a plant. I get so tired of reading so many biased and uninformed post's I mean am I the only one who is just interested in the best High Definition regardless of format??

Either a plant or a Sony PS3 fanboy whose interest in AV coincided with the introduction of the PS3. Read his post history and you'll see what I mean. To each his own, but yeah, I agree, totally ignorant.
post #157 of 157 Old 04-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

Yep, the HDMI 1.3 and 1080p arguments are by and large a non-existent issue. I don't know of any TVs that support HDMI 1.3 on the market right now, but there may be. If you have a video processor (either standalone or your TVs built in) doing it's job well/correctly, there's really no difference between a 1080i and 1080p. Don't get hung up on 1080p or 1080p24 output.

the Samsung HL-Txx89S supports HDMI 1.3.

As a side question, if you have a TV that can upscale the inputs to 1080, do you need, or is it better, to have a video player that can upscale too?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page