PS3 to get DVD upscaling by end of the week - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From Sony Gamer's Day conference:

http://www.deeko.com/news/?p=1413

Quote:

By the end of this week the new new firmware will be up for download. This firmware makes it possible to put up your own wallpapers, music to listen while playing games and DVD's and PS2-games will be upscaled.

Awesome. Hopefully this means 720p Blu Ray playback as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
What about DTS Master Audio decoders!?
post #3 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

What about DTS Master Audio decoders!?

exactly!

my toshiba a2 already does an awesome job at upscaling and uses 20 watts versus 200 (ps3) so i try not to use it as much. no really cause of the bill but the a2 is allot quieter also.

btw if the ps3 gets both dts ma and upscaling wow and if it fixes the noise issues some through firmware it will be the ultimate electronic device imo
post #4 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 PM

About time!!! Now if they can do 720p playback....I may stop considering the A2.
post #5 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

So, 2.0 by the end of the week then. Looking forward to it; I don't use the PS3 much as a regular DVD player, but the other features of the update are right up my alley.
post #6 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Actually playstation3 and is rated as a very good dvd player using official testing discs. it scored perfect on everything but 3:2 pulldown
post #7 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotechni View Post

Actually playstation3 and is rated as a very good dvd player using official testing discs. it scored perfect on everything but 3:2 pulldown

link to said test?

i have no links to say its a pos when playing dvds compared to other dvds players but their is worst... just my opinion. but you can be the judge walk into best buy and take a dvd and try it out their they will let you no quetions asked trust me.
post #8 of 172 Old 05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It's about time and now if we can get the dts-ma rolling before my new receiver gets delivered to my house, I can put those Fox Blu-ray movies to proper use.
post #9 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surfer Dude View Post

From Sony Gamer's Day conference:

http://www.deeko.com/news/?p=1413

Awesome. Hopefully this means 720p Blu Ray playback as well...

This "news" seemed suspicious to me because nobody else has reported what would be a major PS3 development. It turns out that it appears to be a hoax or at the very least, wishful thinking. Yes, www.deeko.com does indeed say that the 2.0 firmware will enable DVD upscaling. Deeko.com attributes the site n4g.com as the source of this scoop but if you go to n4g.com, there's not a single article that reports this from Sony Game Day. Sorry fellow PS3 owners but there's been no announcement about DVD upscaling.
post #10 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

link to said test?

i have no links to say its a pos when playing dvds compared to other dvds players but their is worst... just my opinion. but you can be the judge walk into best buy and take a dvd and try it out their they will let you no quetions asked trust me.

Here is Kris Deering's more objective test..

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

Quote:

Recently, I tested Microsoft's new venture into the world of console gaming, the Xbox 360. The 360 performed very well in our DVD benchmark and positioned itself as the only game machine I've tested to date that I would probably recommend as a DVD player. The 360 launched a year before its competition, the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) and Nintendo Wii, so I was wondering how much Sony and Nintendo would put into their next generation consoles to combat the 360's strong points. Nintendo opted out of the media console market and launched a system strictly designed for gaming and interactivity with the Wii, and it does not include DVD playback, but Sony went all out, and not only included DVD playback, but also support for Blu-ray (BD), one of the high definition disc formats.

For this Benchmark, I am going to stick with standard DVD playback like I've done with previous Blu-ray players. I will be following the Benchmark with a full review of the PS3, including its performance as a Blu-ray player and video game console.

Months before the PS3 ever released, I would have guessed that it would be an average DVD player and below average Blu-ray player. The PS2 was anything but impressive as a DVD player, and despite the rather high price point of the PS3 as a game console, it is only about half the price of the competing stand alone Blu-ray players. This would obviously lead me to believe that Sony designed this as a video game console first, with the BD and DVD playback section being passable at best, and enough to maybe lure some tech savvy owners into stand alone BD players at some point. Evidently, this is not the case.

The PS3 represents one of the best BD players I've used to date. It is fast, the image quality is excellent, and it supports more of the BD functions and features than just about any other player. The fact that it does this for nearly half the price of the other BD players out there is almost embarrassing, and rather disappointing when you think about it. As a standard DVD player, however, the PS3 may represent one of the worst progressive scan players I have ever tested. Surprising, considering its BD performance.

The PS3 is the only game console to feature an HDMI output to date. Given this feature, I was fully expecting to see support for upconversion of standard DVD to high definition resolutions like most HDMI-based DVD players. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen here. The PS3 only outputs 480p for DVD playback. Personally I would have rather have seen 480i as the only DVD output resolution given how bad this player does with its de-interlacing.

The PS3 has no film-based de-interlacing support. It is essentially locked in video mode the entire time, so as the cadence changes, resolution is compromised. This is pretty much unforgivable at this stage in the game and embarrassing compared to every other DVD player I've tested from Sony. Why this is the case I have no idea, especially since DVD is the only thing the PS3 is de-interlacing (the PS3 does not de-interlace 1080i to 1080p for BD content, it only outputs what the disc is encoded).

Core video performance was about average. The PS3 allows you to select from two separate color spaces via HDMI: RGB and YCbCr. Neither of them passes below black information, so head and toe room are clipped. There is also some minor pixel cropping with DVD playback (BD playback had no pixel cropping).

On the plus side, the PS3 does not have any issues with CUE or Y/C delay when viewing DVDs via HDMI. I've seen reports that it does have CUE issues with Blu-ray playback using 4:2:0 material.

The PS3 passed all of our tests that relate to video-based material, which was expected since this player is essentially in a forced video mode. This includes 2-2 material. I could not get it to lock onto a single 3-2 based pattern, regardless of how much time I gave the player to do it.

From a usability standpoint, the PS3 does quite well. The transport is fast, and I really love all of the information available when you press display (bitrates, video codec, etc.) I highly recommend picking up the PS3 remote if you plan on using the console for movie viewing, because it alleviates a lot of the frustration that can come with using the controller as a remote. The only drawback is that the remote is Bluetooth-based, so you cannot program your HT remote to mimic it. My only other gripe is that the player does not start-up a disc when it is inserted. You have to navigate to the video selection in the main PS3 menu screen and select it.

Conclusions

It is a shame that Sony put so much work into the PlayStation 3 in some areas but not in DVD playback. The lack of a film mode for de-interlacing and no support for upscaling are rare in progressive scan DVD players these days. While I would still recommend it as a Blu-ray player, anyone considering adding the PS3 to their home theater rack should probably keep their standard DVD player as well.

Fails
  • Video Levels
  • Blacker-than-Black
  • 3-2 Cadence, Film Flags
  • 3-2 Cadence, Alt. Flags
  • 3-2 Cadence, Mixed Flags
  • Film Mode High Detail
  • Video to Film Transition
  • Recovery Time
post #11 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll have to see it to believe it. I use my PS3 for DVD playback because I just don't have the room for another component in my stand. The picture is watchable, but still doesn't compare to my old upconverting player.

post #12 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

and if it fixes the noise issues some through firmware it will be the ultimate electronic device imo

How is that possible? Much of the data I have read up on for the PS3 fan noise seems to point to issues with one of the 2 possible fans, (15 blade vs 19 blade). The European forums members have been doing a decent amount of research on it, but everything is pointing to hardware issues which cannot be addressed with firmware...
post #13 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

I'll have to see it to believe it. I use my PS3 for DVD playback because I just don't have the room for another component in my stand. The picture is watchable, but still doesn't compare to my old upconverting player.

ditto, but that is why I keep my Oppo971...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #14 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Firmware 2.0 doesn't say anything about (PS3 to get DVD upscaling by end of the week)

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...nding&page=208

Joe V.
post #15 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM

How can they say the Xbox 360 DVD player is good?

This article shows the exact opposite:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2088531,00.asp
post #16 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Here comes another 100+Mb update. I find it amazing that MS can put in so many new features into an update that's only 5-6Mb.

HD DVD: 88 | Blu-Ray: 77 (new: Full Metal Jacket, SW:tCW, Bonnie & Clyde (AU))
DVD: 43 (new: Life Season 1)
post #17 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the title is misleading. it's not upscaling for dvd perse, it's an update for ps2 games. plus no other site mentions what deeko posted....ill wait and see
post #18 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post

Here comes another 100+Mb update. I find it amazing that MS can put in so many new features into an update that's only 5-6Mb.

I believe that the difference is that Sony chooses to use complete firmware downloads, and MS uses patches that update only the latest version - IIRC you can install 1.7 on a un-upgraded day 1 PS3, but would have to do multiple updates on a 360. But they might be quicker.

Sony does this for the PSP too
post #19 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

the title is misleading. it's not upscaling for dvd perse, it's an update for ps2 games. plus no other site mentions what deeko posted....ill wait and see

Firmware:

By the end of this week the new new firmware will be up for download. This firmware makes it possible to put up your own wallpapers, music to listen while playing games and DVD's and PS2-games will be upscaled.

I think it clear on this that its DVD's AND PS2..I hope so...

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #20 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony is in it's FULL HD thing so hard that i doubt will ever see 720p playback again..

And it's that me, or, Sony woudln't be really pressed to do DTS MA, i mean, the only company that use it is FOX and they completly stopped announcing titles...

about 98% use Loseless PCM, 1 % TrueHD (or both) but getting more and more used by sony and 1% DTS MA... LOL!

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #21 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Whether this week or not, but PS3 will get the scaling function soon. As far as DTS-MA, this is more questionable. This thread yet again is based on rumours (btw, if they turn to be true I will be happy). The HD-DVD trolls, aka format neutrals, will yet again blame Sony for not meeting the "deadline" although probably Sony is not even aware of this rumour.
Anyway, as many others posted earlier in this forum, I believe LPCM is the way to go and hopefully Sony hears this and will continue supporting this format along with Dolby TrueHD.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #22 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellucidity View Post

I believe that the difference is that Sony chooses to use complete firmware downloads, and MS uses patches that update only the latest version - IIRC you can install 1.7 on a un-upgraded day 1 PS3, but would have to do multiple updates on a 360. But they might be quicker.

Sony does this for the PSP too

Wrong on the 360 part, it's only one update on a day 1 machine. The download size might be a little larger though.
post #23 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I'll give this rumor more credence when it's been confirmed independently by a second site. At the moment I'll be skeptical because I don't think Sony is in any hurry to upconvert DVD's.
post #24 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc View Post

At the moment I'll be skeptical because I don't think Sony is in any hurry to upconvert DVD's.

I think Sony should make it a priority to get this done. It would make the difference between dvd and bd less noticeable on the PS3, but it would also remove upconversion as an advantage of the HD DVD players.
post #25 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

I think Sony should make it a priority to get this done. It would make the difference between dvd and bd less noticeable on the PS3, but it would also remove upconversion as an advantage of the HD DVD players.

Well, I hope you're right. I think right now Sony is focusing its PS3 efforts in getting more of the gaming market. If they think that more gamers will buy the PS3 if it upconverts PS2 games, they may do this upgrade. Otherwise, I don't think they're in any big hurry.
post #26 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc View Post

Well, I hope you're right. I think right now Sony is focusing its PS3 efforts in getting more of the gaming market. If they think that more gamers will buy the PS3 if it upconverts PS2 games, they may do this upgrade. Otherwise, I don't think they're in any big hurry.

It seems strange to me that someone would pay $600 to make their PS2 games look better, but at least if it makes them look better and doesn't make them look worse it could be another factor in someones purchasing decision.

I am hoping the coming games (have you seen the videos today?!) will inspire people to move up to the PS3. Now lets just get a couple of them for sale so we have a some new quality titles to play over the summer.
post #27 of 172 Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny, I read it as applying to games only the first time too (they need to use the serial comma), but then I realized it wouldn't make much sense to listen to music while watching DVDs!

Nice news if it proves true; too bad I suddenly am having a bitch of a time with my Internet connection. Wonder if the landlords moved the wireless router....

My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!
post #28 of 172 Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 AM

It would be nice if in the next update that they make it a selectable option to convert PCM tracks to DTS or something for those that don't have receivers capable of getting multi-track PCM. That and 720p playback.

EDIT: It would be a cheap way of getting DTS for free.

post #29 of 172 Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

It also would remove the advantage of Sony own Bluray player.
post #30 of 172 Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

It also would remove the advantage of Sony own Bluray player.

True that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page