AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

Funny isn't it?

Who knew "launching of blu-ray player" could be so powerful and mean so much!

Actually, it was "Blu-ray type player" - not that it means anything, it could very well be a legit thing...I still think the HD-DVD "cheapy's" will hit much sooner, but here we have another great slice in the ongoing war...

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Big Bang Season 6, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
If Funai releases both HD DVD and Blu-ray players by the end of the year, the price difference - if any - should be interesting. I think this is significant only because many people seemed to imply that only HD DVD would be able to release low budget players. For some reason, they thought this was out of the realm for Blu-ray.

post #93 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

So more studio support is important?

Bluboyz think so. Now if they could just get the BD studios to actually put out more content than the HD DVD studios put out HD DVD content, that might mean something, and they could actually start using the more studio support tagline again.

Blu won :(
No big deal, I don't buy movies anymore anyway. Time to move on.
post #94 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

More studio support. That's BD's paper tiger right there.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #95 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Gee what about the stupid Wal-Mart people needing tech support and cheap Chinese players being unreliable arguments that were in the HD DVD Chinese player threads?

Same people that brought them up over on the HD DVD player issue are of course silent on those arguments now, if we are talking about Blu-ray players.

I think cheaper Blu-ray players aer inevitable, but cheaper HD DVD palyers will be here first and teh $299 pricing for limited periods of time for the Toshiba HD A2 and HD D2 HD DVD players are putting pressure on the BDA companies as $299 is moving into mass adoption catagories.

But this is old news on these players.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #96 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

So how do they get fully compliant cheapo's to market in 07 when the BD-J/BD-I stuff isn't anywhere near being ironed out? I presume they're going to need more lead-time than a month or two?

I thought that the October 31 deadline was when new shipping players must include the updated standard, not a deadline for when the standard would finally be finished.

If it's anything like the wireless network 802.11 standards, it's possible to ship hardware that supports the standards before they are finalized. You've been able to by 802.11n hardware for months, even though that standard isn't completely finalized.

I'd love it if someone could post proof on the actual status of the BD-J 1.1 profile. Lots of FUD gets thrown around about it.
post #97 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

What about the latest issue HMM article that said 150 more Blu-ray titles by end of the year but over 500 HD DVD titles probable. IIRC HD DVD studios seem to be planning on relaesing more titles How does that translate into more studio support?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #98 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Gee what about the stupid Wal-Mart people needing tech support and cheap Chinese players being unreliable arguments that were in the HD DVD Chinese player threads?

For the second time now (or is it third time?) This is not about Chinese players. Funai is Japanese
post #99 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, Japanese. Funai also OEM's Denon's players, which are top notch.

I'm definitely not for these being commodity priced, but anything from 200-300 is the sweet spot.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #100 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

But IIRC their component manufacturing base is in mainland China. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just like all the Toshiba models aer being assembled in mainland China. Fuh Yuan (Forworld Electronics) is Taiwainese based but that proposal was/is based on Chinese mainalnd assembly.

follow me on Twitter
post #101 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:

What about the latest issue HMM article that said 150 more Blu-ray titles by end of the year but over 500 HD DVD titles probable. IIRC HD DVD studios seem to be planning on relaesing more titles How does that translate into more studio support?

That has nothing to do with Funai, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to distract this thread with it.
post #102 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuKo View Post

For the second time now (or is it third time?) This is not about Chinese players. Funai is Japanese

besides those arguments were based on cheaper SoC designs being unreliable. If those arguments were appropriate against cheaper HD DVD players, they are just as appropriate against cheaper Blu-ray players. Unless you are a hypocrite.

I personally don't they apply for either format. But if you thought they applied to HD DVD players, I find it amusing that some don't think it applies to Blu-ray players as well.

follow me on Twitter
post #103 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post

That has nothing to do with Funai, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to distract this thread with it.

It was in response to the comment that Blu-ray backers think studio support will be the trump card.

follow me on Twitter
post #104 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Toshiba is Japanese too, but at least some of the 2nd gen players are manufactured in China. I don't know for sure, but I would lay odds that Emerson, Sylvania, and Durabrand are made there also.
post #105 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:

besides those arguments were based on cheaper SoC designs being unreliable. If those arguments were appropriate against cheaper HD DVD players, they are just as appropriate against cheaper Blu-ray players. Unless you are a hypocrite.

I personally don't they apply for either format. But if you thought they applied to HD DVD players, I find it amusing that some don't think it applies to Blu-ray players as well.

I don't recall ever saying anything like that. I know there are SoC implementations for both formats, more so and better ones for Blu-ray if I've understood correctly.
post #106 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same short-sited HD-DVD fans who claimed PS3 owners wouldn't buy blu-ray movies

Are you referring to the PS3 attach rate of 1/2 a movie per installation?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty

The subject of studio support was brought up on a previous page. That post should be accused of the distraction, not this one. See below.

Quote:

There are couple of factors which shouldn't be neglected when we think which format players companies consider to manufacture. VERY important fact is studio support another fact is current media sales. They both favor Blu-ray currently.

post #107 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Here's what I'm hoping for - when I walk into a big box store to get a BD player I'll walk out with the player and $50 cash and while I'm there I can pick up an HD DVD player and $100 cash. I love a war where the competitors pay me to take their product.

For all those who say this format war is a bad thing - who are you kidding!

Cheers,

Grant
post #108 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan View Post

Toshiba is Japanese too, but at least some of the 2nd gen players are manufactured in China. I don't know for sure, but I would lay odds that Emerson, Sylvania, and Durabrand are made there also.

This is getting totally off-topic now.. Most Nokia phones are also manufactured in China. Does that mean Nokia phones are Chinese phones?

Some people have been telling here the reason why there won't be cheap Blu-ray players is that BDA won't let Chinese manufacturers to make them. Truth is that most of the cheap DVD players are manufacture by Japanese companies.
post #109 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Are you referring to the PS3 attach rate of 1/2 a movie per installation?

That would also fit Jeff. Basic math is your friend or maybe enemy in this case if you one of the many HD-DVD fans who made the claim Of course in bizarro world having less number sold (HD-DVD) still equals winning the war, lol
post #110 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is getting totally off-topic now.. Most Nokia phones are also manufactured in China. Does that mean Nokia phones are Chinese phones?

It depends whether Nokia subcontracted it out to a complete and external Chinese company...then it IS a chinese phone that's been rebranded
post #111 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I love this forum. Love it.

There's a single bullet talking about a "blu-ray type player" and suddenly we have 4 pages of BD folks claiming "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" and HD DVD folks claiming that it ain't so.
post #112 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

I love this forum. Love it.

There's a single bullet talking about a "blu-ray type player" and suddenly we have 4 pages of BD folks claiming "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" and HD DVD folks claiming that it ain't so.

Two bullet points actually.

- Slide 7 (Strategy of DVD), item 3 (Development and Marketing of Next-generation DVDs):
"Planning to launch Blu-ray type player towards 2007 end in line with growth of large-size LCD TV".

- Slide 9 (Geographic Market Strategy), section on US, subitem 1:
"Further enhancement of sales in LCD TV and DVDs and launching of Blu-ray player and digital STB".
Sidebar: "Awarded 2006 Billion Dollar Supplier Prize by WalMart"

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #113 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Two
- Slide 9 (Geographic Market Strategy), section on US, subitem 1:
"Further enhancement of sales in LCD TV and DVDs and launching of Blu-ray player and digital STB".
Sidebar: "Awarded 2006 Billion Dollar Supplier Prize by WalMart"

The "Awarded 2006 Billion Dollar Supplier Prize by WalMart" is pretty good....I guess they're the type of company that does NOT release stupid press releases

So, if walmart trusts these guys and they release a cheap blu-ray player, then there is a good chance these players will end up in walmart.
post #114 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj2006 View Post

The "Awarded 2006 Billion Dollar Supplier Prize by WalMart" is pretty good....I guess they're the type of company that does NOT release stupid press releases

So, if walmart trusts these guys and they release a cheap blu-ray player, then there is a good chance these players will end up in walmart.

I would say it is close to 100% that any cheap Blu-ray player from Funai will be carried by Wal-Mart.

This doesn't mean there won't be a cheap HD-DVD player as well from a chinese manufacturer.

However, it does mean that there is no advantage for HD-DVD in this regard.

In fact the cheap Blu-ray player at Wal-Mart story has a lot more credibility than any cheap HD-DVD player at this point.

If Blu-ray beats HD-DVD to the Wal-Mart shelves it will be the death blow to HD-DVD.
post #115 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I do wish people on this forum would stop using terms like "Death blow" and "...Life is over" etc... it makes this somewhat mundane announcement much more dramatic than it really is.

We saw the HD DVD fanboys do the same thing with the shitco players and that turned out to be a pile of crap, so people, chill out!
post #116 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

If Blu-ray beats HD-DVD to the Wal-Mart shelves it will be the death blow to HD-DVD.

And let me guess: If HD DVD beats blu-ray to the Wal-Mart shelves, it's no big deal. Right?
post #117 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Of course in bizarro world having less number sold (HD-DVD) still equals winning the war,

I never said that, and certainly do not believe that. When I respond to a post, I respond to the specific post as I did to yours, and don't make insulting broad generalizations. I'd like the same courtesy, if it's not too much to ask.
post #118 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

And let me guess: If HD DVD beats blu-ray to the Wal-Mart shelves, it's no big deal. Right?

It's a big deal, but at this point BD can give HD-DVD a death blow...whereas I don't think there's any feasible thing HD-DVD could do in the near future to deal a death blow to BD.
post #119 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lampert View Post

I never said that, and certainly do not believe that. When I respond to a post, I respond to the specific post as I did to yours, and don't make insulting broad generalizations. I'd like the same courtesy, if it's not too much to ask.

Did you even read what I wrote I said if you were one of the many HD-DVD fans that made the claim. I also answered your question with simple facts. My comment was based off of previous comments from many (many being the key word, I did not say all) HD-DVD fans here in the past.
post #120 of 237 Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM

I think alot of people here are missing the point. It doesnt really matter if HD beats BR in price due to content. BR has the content. IF Blu Ray gets the content and the price... come on... I mean really why would anyone in their right mind buy HD DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post

I do wish people on this forum would stop using terms like "Death blow" and "...Life is over" etc... it makes this somewhat mundane announcement much more dramatic than it really is.

We saw the HD DVD fanboys do the same thing with the shitco players and that turned out to be a pile of crap, so people, chill out!

Two HUGE differences here, so nice job trying to compare but you didnt make it. First BR could actually deal a deathblow to HD DVD, I dont think anyone in their right mind thinks HD DVD could do the same in the same period of time. They COULD do it but it would take a long time. Lets face it HD DVD is hanging on by a short Universal rope.

Second, HD DVD fans blew up a story from a chineese blog written by the guy who cooked the egg drop soup for a Wal Mart associate one time and he over heard something. This is real. Sorry, not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Here's what I'm hoping for - when I walk into a big box store to get a BD player I'll walk out with the player and $50 cash and while I'm there I can pick up an HD DVD player and $100 cash. I love a war where the competitors pay me to take their product.

For all those who say this format war is a bad thing - who are you kidding!

Cheers,

Grant

Once it is Blu Ray only you will be able to walk in, choose which BR player you want and have access to all movies released in HD while only needing to buy on player. How is that not a better plan? I mean for the majority of the population that doesnt own one yet.

I bent my wookie.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page