PS3 Firmware 1.8 Update Master Discussion Thread; POST ALL 1.8 COMMENTS HERE - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwretep View Post

I would like to know if the 1080p24 signal option will work under 720p downscaling. That is I take the benefits of displaying a downconverted 1080p24hz signal @720p

Also, what settings do you use?

I got a 720 ยด(epson 810) projector.

I know of no 720p projectors that would do anything useful with a 1080p/24 signal, even if it could take it. The 24fps signal is only useful to send to the projector if that pj has the ability to output the frame rate in an even multiple. If not, then it has to do the same thing to the signal to get it back to 1080p60 that would have been done in the disc player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Thanks. Done that, does not work.

Are you using an HDMI-DVI adapter or a cable that has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other end? I would try a different brand cable if all else fails. Also, are you using any kind of DVI or HDMI switcher or receiver?

Edit: The earlier XBR's that were CRT did not have a 720p mode. Try selecting ONLY 480p and 1080i in your video settings to see if that helps.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #93 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

I posted some pics here:

PS3 vs. XA2 upscaling

The PS3 was greatly improved upon but to my eyes the XA2 is still superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Interesting comparison. I did the same with my A2 and the PS3 and felt the A2 hands down was sharper more detailed...But the firmware 1.8 did help the PS3 with SD content...its not perfect but much much better.

Unbiased opinions from actual owners of both pieces of hardware are greatly appreciated. But I do have a question. During your testing, did either of you notice any effects the Frame Noise and Block Noise reduction filters on the PS3 had? Did they seem to help, hinder, or do anything at all on any of the settings?
post #94 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Holding down the power button until you hear the second beep resets everything to factory defaults, allowing you to once again see the display (in 480i, I believe). This allows you to correct the display settings problem, but unless 1.8 changes something, all other settings will need to be changed from the defaults as well.

I turned off upscaling and 480p comes out. I didn't see a way to get 480i via HDMI. If there's a way I'd like to know (I didn't look real hard).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #95 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

hey guys , i ran a quick test of the hqv disc on the ps3 and it was ok. i looked at jaggies 1 and 2 and noise. Jaggies 2 with the flag did real well id give it the hiest score, however on jaggies 1 , which is hard to pass on best, it did ok. what was weird was when the line was near the hardest test point , the jaggies were not very noticible but the actual line became deformed. Wasnt a perfect line. It was very weird. My denon 3930ci passes this test very well. uniform line , no jaggies ,

Im getting my tv isf calibrated tomarro , and we will be performing full tests on sun.

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #96 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but virtually every film is shot at 24fps - 720p/60 gives you lower resolution without any actual increase in frame rate versus 1080i/30 (at least on a 1080p set).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizunary View Post

4. I think it would depend on the film, heavy action/fast moving flicks like Crank would benefit from being progressive, but slower films like The Queen the higher resolution would probably look better.

BTW, when I state "up to" that means 720p/1080i/1080p, hope this helps

post #97 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My PS3 is not connected to a network.

Is there a website to download the 1.8 FW ?
post #98 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

My PS3 is not connected to a network.

Is there a website to download the 1.8 FW ?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/Updates
post #99 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM

I am looking for some answer on what settings will work and what is the best i have the following

ps3 hdmi out pass through a av-4806 non ci yet to a wd-65732 (got a y splitter on the way to use other hdmi input for ps3 exclusive 1080p, till i send in my reciever to get the ci upgrade.)

here are my questions

what settings to use

cy y1 ect ect or rgb

rgb ful or limited (full make things very dark, which I could adjust the tv but then my dvd's and 360 wii would be way too bright. however once I change inputs I may be able to change input scemes seprately.)

super white on or off?

will my tv support 1080p 24fps? is it better looking than automatic or off?

video conversion on video or auto? whats the difference?

is double scale actually better than normal? (I get 2 black bars on the sides in double scan but it look far better.)

Any help would be great thanks again!
post #100 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Are you using an HDMI-DVI adapter or a cable that has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other end? I would try a different brand cable if all else fails. Also, are you using any kind of DVI or HDMI switcher or receiver?

Edit: The earlier XBR's that were CRT did not have a 720p mode. Try selecting ONLY 480p and 1080i in your video settings to see if that helps.

I have both types of cables and have tried both to no avail. I have a Directv HDMI to DVI integrated single-link cable and a Monoprice dual-link DVI cable with a Monoprice adapter. Both of these cable(s) work fine with my Dirtectv HR20.

I do have a Monoprice switcher, but it's not in use right now.

Currently I have 480p/720p/1080i selected on the PS3.

I'll try anything, so I'll give your suggestion of only selecting 480p and 1080i.
post #101 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Question regarding streaming music playback from a PC. I was able to get this function to work with Windows Media 11. The PS3 now recognizes all my audio files and the playlists I create in Windows Media. However, the tracklistings on the PS3 are not in the same order as the source folders OR the playlists. The tracks appear to be completely random. They are not sorted by track number, file size, alphabetically, or by time.

Has anyone had this problem. Any solutions to get the PS3 to recognize my predetermined track order?
post #102 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I know of no 720p projectors that would do anything useful with a 1080p/24 signal, even if it could take it. The 24fps signal is only useful to send to the projector if that pj has the ability to output the frame rate in an even multiple. If not, then it has to do the same thing to the signal to get it back to 1080p60 that would have been done in the disc player.

The Panasonic projectors have no problem taking 1080p/24 and converting it to it's native resolution of 720p, with proper frame rate. I threw up Pirates on my AX-100u using 1080p/24 and it worked like a champ.
post #103 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM

**This is a dup post, also in PS3 as a Player Thread**

I don't want to sound like a noob, but I do recognize that there are people on this board that are infinitely more familiar with this system and how to maximize its abilities. I have updated, played a little bit and got my networking up and running. (Very Cool) My question is in relation to PQ and what settings on the PS3 would maximize my display for both BR and SD DVD.

I have a Mitz WD-65831 (not calibrated yet) and am hooked up via HDMI.

The Manual is here -

http://download.jazel.net/misc/filecache/65/65c17f2306d62161be8f8acc7e97ef4e_V34(831)%20OG.pdf

So my question is: Theoretically, what would be the proper settings for both BR and SD DVD on the PS3 to maximize PQ given our new gift from Sony? Out of those settings, which ones would you turn on and off or up and down to do a side by side comparison of PQ to make the final determination as to leave it on or not? If you had this set, what would you do?

Again, not to sound like a noob but there are a few guys on this board that are way out of my league. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
post #104 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBAngel View Post

Question regarding streaming music playback from a PC. I was able to get this function to work with Windows Media 11. The PS3 now recognizes all my audio files and the playlists I create in Windows Media. However, the tracklistings on the PS3 are not in the same order as the source folders OR the playlists. The tracks appear to be completely random. They are not sorted by track number, file size, alphabetically, or by time.

Has anyone had this problem. Any solutions to get the PS3 to recognize my predetermined track order?

I encountered the same issue and would also like to know the deal.
post #105 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahnos View Post

The Panasonic projectors have no problem taking 1080p/24 and converting it to it's native resolution of 720p, with proper frame rate. I threw up Pirates on my AX-100u using 1080p/24 and it worked like a champ.

Yup. Surprisingly, my dated AE900u, supports 1080/24p also.
post #106 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have HDMI to my TV and Optical to my receiver, waiting it out on getting a new one. Problem is that it seems I can only do one or the other in the PS3 menu. Probably nothing to do, bummer. Thanks!

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #107 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop View Post

I have HDMI to my TV and Optical to my receiver, waiting it out on getting a new one. Problem is that it seems I can only do one or the other in the PS3 menu. Probably nothing to do, bummer. Thanks!

I have the same issue. Definately not as convenient as my HD-A2 in that I can have audio on my TV and receiver with optical & HDMI.

But you learn to live with it.

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #108 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how di you get the audio recognizable, I can't, only pics work for me right now

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #109 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Yeah. I have the same problem. The only way around it is to get a receiver that has HDMI then you won't have to switch back and forth.

All your base are belong to us
post #110 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 PM

I just did this update. I'm getting a lot of answers here so thanks to all the knowledgable people in here, but I have a problem. I updated last night and played around with it and it works great,except for this: I can't play any of my Blu-Ray movies. Anyone else ran into this problem because of the update??
post #111 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmadayag View Post

I just did this update. I'm getting a lot of answers here so thanks to all the knowledgable people in here, but I have a problem. I updated last night and played around with it and it works great,except for this: I can't play any of my Blu-Ray movies. Anyone else ran into this problem because of the update??

Is it possible you turned on 1080p/24 and your display doesn't support it?
post #112 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denness544 View Post

Yup. Surprisingly, my dated AE900u, supports 1080/24p also.

This applies as well to others who have said their displays support 1080/24p: how do you know this? Does your display have an info function that says it is accepting & DISPLAYING 1080/24p? I ask because very few displays actually support this and mostly only ones released in the last 9 months. I personally know of two: the Sony Pearl projector and the Pioneer PRO-FHD1 plasma. There are no doubt others but I don't have personal knowledge of them. If you are basing your assertion on the fact that you get an image from the PS3, note that the setting is either "AUTOMATIC" or "OFF." In AUTO the PS3 will detect that your display doesn't handle 24p and will revert to 60p (assuming your display supports that). Displays may have no indication as to whether they are accepting 24p or 60p. The Pioneer PRO-FHD1 certainly does not. The Sony Pearl may. To detect the difference by eye may be subtle: some people are more sensitive to 3:2 judder than others. It is best detected in movie end credits or long slow pans like the opening of STAR TREK INSURRECTION.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #113 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post

Is it possible you turned on 1080p/24 and your display doesn't support it?

The PS3 will autodetect this via HDMI handshaking. It will not output 1080/24p into a display that does not accept it. It will revert to 1080/60p.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #114 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post

how di you get the audio recognizable, I can't, only pics work for me right now

I loaded Windows Media 11 onto my computer and the new firmware for the PS3.
On the PS3, I enabled the Media Server Connection under Settings/Network Settings.
Under the library menu in Windows Media, I went to Media sharing and enabled that.
I then imported all my music into the Windows Media library using the "add to library" command in the library menu.
I then shutdown and restarted both machines.
Go back into Windows Media under library/media sharing, click the "share my media" checkbox and select and add the PS3. On my computer it registered as an "Unknown Device".
I then shutdown and restarted both machines for good measure.
On reboot, the PS3 recognized the Media Center and all my photos and music files were visible.
On the PS3 under Settings/Music I set the CD output to MP3 and 128k bit
I could now play all my files....
post #115 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats a bummer. I was hoping to hook up the ps3 like my 360. Hdmi with sound to the tv, optical out to the amp. I have a great amp, but it does not have hdmi. I'm hoping to get a blu ray player and then just rent hd or blu ray movies. Screw buying them until one format wins. I could care less which one does. The hd disks I've seen so far are fantastic.
post #116 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I loaded Windows Media 11 onto my computer and the new firmware for the PS3.
On the PS3, I enabled the Media Server Connection under Settings/Network Settings.
Under the library menu in Windows Media, I went to Media sharing and enabled that.
I then imported all my music into the Windows Media library using the "add to library" command in the library menu.
I then shutdown and restarted both machines.
Go back into Windows Media under library/media sharing, click the "share my media" checkbox and select and add the PS3. On my computer it registered as an "Unknown Device".
I then shutdown and restarted both machines for good measure.
On reboot, the PS3 recognized the Media Center and all my photos and music files were visible.
On the PS3 under Settings/Music I set the CD output to MP3 and 128k bit
I could now play all my files....

I did the same exact thing

and I get an error message when trying to open up the music folder

saying

"a connection to the media center could not be established, check your media center settings..."

Blu-Ray Supporter
post #117 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:

saying

"a connection to the media center could not be established, check your media center settings..."

I used to get that error message when I shared my entire mp3 library (~200GB). After I started sharing only a few folders (~32GB) the message doesn't appear anymore. When I went upto 80GB, the message returned.
post #118 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:

saying

I had the same problem at first here's how I fixed it...

I had to go under Library --> Add to Library --> Manually add the folders to the library

After this my PS3 would detect the files.
post #119 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry if this has been already posted but here is the 1.8 Candence benchmark test-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2136482,00.asp
post #120 of 534 Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cruce View Post

The PS3 will autodetect this via HDMI handshaking. It will not output 1080/24p into a display that does not accept it. It will revert to 1080/60i.

You've written this twice, so I'm assuming it's not a typo, but if you set it to Automatic and your display doesn't support 1080/24p it will revert to 1080/60i? Not 1080/60p? I thought the PS3 was outputting 1080/60p?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page