Would you dump your PS3 for a $250 standalone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of people (such as myself) have purchased Sony PS3's for playing BR movies first and foremost. I have purchased a few games, but as it stands right now, I can still sell my PS3 used for maybe $100-$150 less than I paid for it. I can also sell off a lot of the games for not much of a loss on online auction sites.

I have enjoyed the games, but I'm not hooked. I'm lucky to play games once per week.

Since HD-DVD has dropped prices on its standalone, I have decided that if BR counters, I will sell off my PS3 and purchase the lower-priced BR standalone (if prices drop by Christmas).

Why? Well, mainly because of noise. It's not nearly as noisy as the X-box, but it is noisy. The fans run all of the time (I keep mine vertical for better cooling). Also because the PS3, standing vertically, is somewhat of an eyesore (although not as ugly as an Xbox, for example).

Would you sell your PS3 for a standalone, if prices on standalones came down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm gonna dump it for a $600 Stand alone.
post #3 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder what this could do to PS3 sales....

People picking up used PS3 units instead of new ones because they want standalones?

Another big reason why I'd dump it is because standard DVDs are region-coded, and mine is Japanese model. I'm tired of not being able to play rental standard DVDs with it, especially since upscaling was added.
post #4 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

I'm gonna dump it for a $600 Stand alone.

Slim,

Do you own a BR player of any kind? No agenda, it's an honest question.

Ken
post #5 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

His response doesn't sound shady to me, just because he said a $600 player (rather than a cheaper one).

The Panasonic sounds really nice.
post #6 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, I wouldn't do it. I have the 20GB model, so I wouldn't get as much anyway. I like the games, and that aspect should only get better as time goes on. From a BD playback standpoint though, I like the PS3 because, quite frankly, I don't trust a standalone to be ready for the future as thoroughly as the PS3. A standalone might get a year, maybe two years (if you're lucky) of firmware updates, whereas the PS3 should get 4-5 years or more.
post #7 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Once a full featured BD stand alone comes out or a full featured Combo player releases my PS3 goes on Ebay...I never intended to keep it from the start.

Joe V.
post #8 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i would if it had good bd picture equal to the ps3 if not better and would support all the new audio formats. dont care to much about games since i get dizzy when i play for more then 30 minutes (i dunno why but it happened with my 360 sold it and now its happening again with my ps3 i need to see a doctor ) not seating to close and it did it with my old tv to but doesnt happen when watching movies..
post #9 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Not a chance.

Even if all I ever did with my PS3 is watch movies, I'd still lay odds that it will be updated continually with new features for a much longer time than any standalone. The only two reasons I can understand for preferring a standalone are not a big issue for me: fan noise and lack of IR remote support. I've never had a problem with fan noise. I haven't bent over backwards to ventilate the system or anything, and stll I never hear the fan go into high gear on my unit. It's quieter than my DVR and DLP TV. As for the remote? I get spotty response to IR for whatever reason in my living room, and actually find the reliability of the bluetooth remote to be a worthwhile tradeoff for having to keep two remotes around.

... and then everything else is just gravy. Being able to browse my photo library with guests in my living room is nice. I like being able to donate compute time to Folding@Home with it. And yes, I expect games to come along eventually that grab my attention. This fall should start seeing some interesting titles. Finally, call me a geek but I've actually enjoyed doing a little cell programming under Linux.
post #10 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

No way. No stand alone will be able to match the features of the PS3 @ $250.
post #11 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

Not a chance.

Even if all I ever did with my PS3 is watch movies, I'd still lay odds that it will be updated continually with new features for a much longer time than any standalone. The only two reasons I can understand for preferring a standalone are not a big issue for me: fan noise and lack of IR remote support. I've never had a problem with fan noise. I haven't bent over backwards to ventilate the system or anything, and stll I never hear the fan go into high gear on my unit. It's quieter than my DVR and DLP TV. As for the remote? I get spotty response to IR for whatever reason in my living room, and actually find the reliability of the bluetooth remote to be a worthwhile tradeoff for having to keep two remotes around.

... and then everything else is just gravy. Being able to browse my photo library with guests in my living room is nice. I like being able to donate compute time to Folding@Home with it. And yes, I expect games to come along eventually that grab my attention. This fall should start seeing some interesting titles. Finally, call me a geek but I've actually enjoyed doing a little cell programming under Linux.

if you have spotty response from ir then switch to rf its not to expensive to get a harmony 890 which comes with everything needed for like $200 at amazon. i paid $250! for my 880 at best buy
post #12 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Nope, The PS3 is vastly superior and much better value than any of the current $250 HD movie players on the market.
post #13 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Definately. The noise is annoying the hell out of me with my PS3.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I dumped my PS3 2 weeks ago. I can wait a few months until prices drop to pick up a standalone player.

Less than $500 is my price range.
post #15 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Only when the standalone can play all the PS3 download free games when there is no blu-ray to watch in between release!

regards,

Li On
post #16 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Slim,

Do you own a BR player of any kind? No agenda, it's an honest question.

Ken

You should read my post again.
post #17 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM

No.
post #18 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM

If you could make money from the deal by selling the PS3 for $350-400 and you never use any of the other features (PSN network, media server, PS3,PS2,PS1 games), then I would definitely suggest dumping it for a $250 standalone as long as it does 1080p (if you have a 1080p set).

There's no point in paying $599 for a PS3 that you effectively neuter down to a standalone level if you can get one for $250.
post #19 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The ps3 has surpassed every expectation had for a blu-ray player. It was originally purchased as a "back up" player to my sammy bdp-1000 Now My sammy is the back up player.

I can't browse the web, download trailers or play games on any other player.
The ps3 has as good a picture as my updated sammy (if not better, but they look the same to me) and has more audio options built in and via update. It's now as good if not better, an upscaler and handles java menu's easier/faster.

That said, I think the ps3 will live many years in my av rack.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #20 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

ill dump mine along with my A1 when a good dual comes out. Ill dump my PS3 completely with no replacement if FOX doesnt start releasing by Q4.
post #21 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nope, I'm also a gamer, though I need another BR player.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
post #22 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope....I'd just buy a cheap standalone for the bedroom TV and keep the PS3.
post #23 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

No way... the media streaming capabilities of the thing have just started scratching the surface. I look forward to future improvements and even it they were minor, the PS3 would still have a spot with the rest of the gear.
post #24 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

What?
"Would you dump your PS3 for a $250 standalone? "

The real question should be: Would you augment your PS3 with a $150 stand alone player?

Assuming you get your 5 attached titles @ $20 each value, the $250 player nets out a rock bottom $150. (plus taxes where applicable)

Not a bad option for anyone wishing to add Uni and Weinstein titles.
post #25 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
For one, I do play the games, so overall the answer would be "no".

The other thing to consider is that a $250 standalone may not be as good a BD player as the PS3 is. $250 right now is El Cheapo Bargain Bin No-Name Crap level as far as Blu-ray is concerned... I wouldn't bet on quality at such a low price, not at this point in the game.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #26 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 PM

I just did this a week ago and honestly have to say I do have regrets and should of held on to it. I picked up a SONY but couldn't take the slow responses and down load times so traded in for a SAMMY1200. The PS3 smoked both of them in features and speed, and I guess the picture has improved as well. I wish I would have just kept it and waited a while for a full featured player. Oh well at least I am getting to enjoy both formats and not having to watch many SD DVDs any more. The 1.8 update came out a couple days after I had agreed to sell it for about what I paid for it but I lost my PS2 over the deal. Good luck with your decision, in less than 6 month I bet there will be a new player that every one has to own also, impossible to keep up with this hobby/obsession.
post #27 of 114 Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM

I thought the same exact thing many times. I would dump it in a heartbeat for the following reasons:

1. The power consumption of the unit is about 4x as a standalone

2. The heat output is also high. I wont watch 2 movies back to back for fear of melting the unit.

3. I still cant get the remote control to work so I have to use a gaming controller, And even if I did get it to work I would rather have a regular remote control thats a bit more simple then the elaborate PS3 remote control with its 1 million buttons.

4. I cant imagine this thing lasting too long. I had to replace my PS1 numerous times, and I had to replace my PS2 numerous times. If history has any bearing on this products reliability we are all screwed. I know this has no merit but I just feel like this thing is going to break any second!

5. I have no interest what-so-ever in the gaming functions. The competition delivers practically the same level for hundreds less. I went to the store to force myself to buy a game and I could not because there was nothing compelling.

6. It appears that the PS3 is failing as a gaming platform. There is a huge Anti PS3 general consensus all around. It is the cool thing to bash the PS3 nowadays!!! The Sales are very lackluster, much lower then anticipated. If things continue going the way they are going right now, the PS3 will be one of the biggest flops in gaming history. There needs to be major change to save it.

7. Developers are also concerned/annoyed with the PS3's sales. Not only are most of the exclusives multi-platform now, developers are threatening to drop titles all together for the PS3. Read the game forums for example (gamespot)

8. Not up to final blu-ray specs, may or may not be upgraded. I dont care about extras but if I cant pause or rewind my movie because it uses a Java implementation I wont be too happy.

9. I have a yearning to go format neutral! When a dual format player for $600 comes out, I will salvage whatever I can get out of the PS3 and jump on the HD-dvd bandwagon as well.

10. Price, I believe I payed too much for this. $600 for the player $30 for the remote, and $60 for the cheapest HDMI cable at best buy. With tax a total of $738 with no movies! The competition "Hd-DVD" offers a player for about $300 with tax everything I need including 5 movies. The arrogance of the format I decided to go with bothers me a little!

Remember this is my opinion and it was asked for! If you dont like my opinion or dont agree with it thats fine. I will not respond to personal attacks, as I did not personally attack anyone myself.
post #28 of 114 Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't dump it. just move it to another room. i want to buy a stand alone player for my Home theater room but will not spend more than 500 for the player. So at the moment I'll just wait until the prices come down
post #29 of 114 Old 06-02-2007, 02:58 AM

I'd like a standalone once there is a very good full featured one. I'd buy one now for 1000 bucks if there was one I liked. It doesn't even have to be that cheap. However, the PS3 is more than a bd player to me (linux tv computer, streaming device) and it has earned a permanent spot in my av rack despite whatever else I get.

Also, it looks fine sitting flat. The OP mentioned it stands vertical...and that's true if you stand it up vertically.
post #30 of 114 Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Nope, The PS3 is vastly superior and much better value than any of the current $250 HD movie players on the market.

Why, because it can play games in addition to movies?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page