Does the pioneer HD1 do dts-hd? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does it do dts-hd (not MA)?

Does it do 5.1 DD+, 5.1 TRUHD?

What can you do with the home media option (HD files?)?

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No, No and No. Not yet anyway. It will never do DTS HD but there is a firmware coming for DD+ and True HD. You can do alot with the media gallery but I find it no better than the HTPC in the living room. For me it is redundant technology.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 can do DTS HD. It cannot do DTS HD MA.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does it decode DTS HD High resolution ( I know DTS MA is one step further that no players decode) or just DTS core ( I believe its called DTS HD)?

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. I'm officially throughly confused with DTS and their advanced audio codecs. I thought DTS HD was the 'core' of DTS HD MA. Anyway, I watched Basic Instinct on BD last week, and my receiver decoded it as DTS Discrete, so perhaps it was just the 'core'. So, you're saying that DTS HD isn't the 'core' of DTS HD MA?

Man, we need about 12 more audio codecs, this just isn't confusing enough.

Edited to add:

Well, it does indeed look like DTS HD Master Audio and DTS HD High Resolution are two different HD advanced audio codes (lossless and lossy respectively).

From the above chart, it is reasonable to assume that the 'core' for both of these is the 1.5mb DTS Digital Surround 96/24. So, with that, I ammend my prior comment that the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 can decode DTS HD High Resolution. I don't know if it can or not, but I suspect madkaw is correct in that it cannot. I would also venture to say that no other current BD player can decode it either.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

OK. I'm officially throughly confused with DTS and their advanced audio codecs. I thought DTS HD was the 'core' of DTS HD MA. Anyway, I watched Basic Instinct on BD last week, and my receiver decoded it as DTS Discrete, so perhaps it was just the 'core'. So, you're saying that DTS HD isn't the 'core' of DTS HD MA?

Man, we need about 12 more audio codecs, this just isn't confusing enough.

Edited to add:

Well, it does indeed look like DTS HD Master Audio and DTS HD High Resolution are two different HD advanced audio codes (lossless and lossy respectively).

From the above chart, it is reasonable to assume that the 'core' for both of these is the 1.5mb DTS Digital Surround 96/24. So, with that, I ammend my prior comment that the Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 can decode DTS HD High Resolution. I don't know if it can or not, but I suspect madkaw is correct in that it cannot. I would also venture to say that no other current BD player can decode it either.

You are correct, HD and MA are two seperate codecs. I see no point in having two but good ol' dts is the fault of that.
The panny can do dts-hd but not MA. From what chris has expressed over in the pioneer forum is that the players will have to have a serious on-board computer to decode the MA internally. Even after the fully compliant players hit the market at the end of the year I suspect that there will be very few that will decode MA, most will send it bitstream to a receiver.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You are correct, HD and MA are two seperate codecs. I see no point in having two but good ol' dts is the fault of that.

Think of DTS-HD as the DTS equivalent of Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD MA as the DTS equivalent of Dolby TrueHD.

DTS-HD is still lossy like standard DTS, but is scalable to higher bitrates, ostensibly for better quality. DTS-HD MA is, of course, DTS's version of lossless compression.

The DTS "core" that is extracted from either DTS-HD or HD MA is standard DTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page