Official Sony Bdp-300/301 Owners Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4471 of 4494 Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where you guys getting the firmware updates from ? I've been trying for over a year to get them from Sony and they keep sending me nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4494 Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC View Post

cdcutlip and winninender

Your comments that burned DVDs don't play with the "current" firmware concerns me greatly. Right now I have 5.50 but was in the process of updating to 5.70 and keep getting a "NO DLWD 09" error (the reason I'm here today). With 5.50, I haven't had any problems playing burned DVDs (standard movies or AVCHD discs) but I certainly don't what to load 5.70 if it REMOVES functionality.

What firmware do you both have???

SFC

I stayed on 5.50 after reading cdcutlip comments so I suggest that you do the same.

Below are the supposed benefits of 5.70...

Quote:

This utility updates the BDP-S300 firmware to version 5.70 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version 5.50:

Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version 5.70:

Compatibility with BD-R/RE discs burned by the Click to Disc and Click to Disc Editor software included with some VAIO® computers.
Adds Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus Audio decoding functionality.
Compatibility with the BD-R/RE format (BDMV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

Where you guys getting the firmware updates from ? I've been trying for over a year to get them from Sony and they keep sending me nothing

From the Sony website.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...20&region_id=1
post #4473 of 4494 Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I'm getting stuttered playback w/ firmware v5.70. Can I go back to v5.5 by loading up that disc again?
post #4474 of 4494 Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM

Got my s300 when it first came out and have loved it ever since. Tonight I tried to watch "my soul to take" blu ray and it won't play, along with a new release animated movie, which also won't play. I've spent two hours with support trying to burn an image disk of the update iso file and still won't work. Apparently the player automatically recognizes the update disk and does all the work. Every disk I've tried "and I've burned many!) has been read as a "data disc" under "photo" on the blue Sony screen.

I paid 300 bucks for this thing and now Sony wants 209 bucks to service it!!

I'm gonna try and get them to send me their update disc for free but I'm not holding my breath with these people.

I'm very dissapointed with the quality of Sony's cust. support.

I'm certain the discs were burned properly, and unless I'm missing something, there must be something wrong with my player.

If anybody has any ideas please share, I'm at a loss guys

TIA guys
post #4475 of 4494 Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you search around a bit, you will find that Sony modified their update disc burning process - and a fair number of folks have had problems. I now always have Sony mail me update discs for my players (BDPS1000ES, BDP-S350 & 550), and they have been very good and prompt about that (although last time they had to mail discs to me 3 times before they actually sent the most current firmware update disc). And the Sony provided discs have always worked perfectly for me.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #4476 of 4494 Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 AM

I've actually never updated my software. I purchased my s300 when it first came out so I likely have the original software version. To clarify I meant I've burned many update discs in trying to update my software. Not burned movies to watch so as far as I know this shouldn't be a new issue.

Also as a side note, I was told by the Sony rep that only cd-r discs would work. I wish that was my problem as it would be an easy fix but I only used cd-r discs for the update process.
post #4477 of 4494 Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapymp17 View Post

I've actually never updated my software. I purchased my s300 when it first came out so I likely have the original software version. To clarify I meant I've burned many update discs in trying to update my software. Not burned movies to watch so as far as I know this shouldn't be a new issue.

Also as a side note, I was told by the Sony rep that only cd-r discs would work. I wish that was my problem as it would be an easy fix but I only used cd-r discs for the update process.

I understood that you were speaking of the firmware update discs - and that was what I was talking about also. If you want to update your player to the newest firmware, you can order it on-line directly from Sony and they will send it to you for free. You should be able to start up your player, open the tray drawer, put in the Sony supplied firmware update disc, close the tray, and follow the on-screen commands. Be sure to NOT, under any circumstances, interrupt the firmware update until it is completely finished.

post #4478 of 4494 Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Ok good I'm glad were on the same page.
Now at the risk of sounding like a moron, I've just searched Sony's site and all I can find is a page to download the software (that doesn't work).

If anyone could find a link to request this update disk I would be grateful.

On the positive side I've got an xbr4-46 incher, and it absolutely rocks!!
I can't imagine a better display, though I'm sure one superseded it the following year, what with led and all
post #4479 of 4494 Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapymp17 View Post

Ok good I'm glad were on the same page.
Now at the risk of sounding like a moron, I've just searched Sony's site and all I can find is a page to download the software (that doesn't work).

If anyone could find a link to request this update disk I would be grateful.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&os_group_id=6

However, it looks like they have started charging for firmware update discs being mailed out . . . .
------------------------------------
Request an Upgrade Disc
If you cannot connect the Blu-ray Disc player to your Internet source, please use the disc upgrade method.
If you cannot create an update disc on your computer, you can order one from Sony. If your Blu-ray Disc player is out of warranty, there will be a shipping and handling fee of $6.50. Please contact Sony Support at 1-800-222-SONY (7669) if you would like to order an update disc.
After you receive the disc, please see the Disc Upgrade Instructions section below, for more information.

If you have questions or require assistance, please contact Sony Support at 1-866-909-SONY (7669).
-------------------------------------
that is new since I last ordered a firmware update disc.

post #4480 of 4494 Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Hi folks,
my BDP-s300 started to stutter. Its would start up ok but the further into the disc you got the worse it became.
I thought it was dirty or bad discs from the rental company but got kickass BN and that wouldn't play either. I updated to the latest firmware 5.70 and still no luck. Plays DVD fine so I guessed its not the laser that's dirty.
I trawled the internet for a solution but all I found was similar problems with no idea to the cause.

I spoke to the SONY service centre here and they have done a few of these and they reckon its the 'disc transport mechanism' that they need to replace at over £100 Sterling.

Just bought a new LG for £69.95.

Alec UK
post #4481 of 4494 Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

My PS3 has broken, so for the time being I'm using my S300. So far every BD I've put in the machine has played, including newer discs like Conan the Barbarian and the Superman BD set. But I'm worried that Thor and X-Men:FC are going to give me problems. Keeping my fingers crossed, I can't buy a brand new player for about a month or so.
post #4482 of 4494 Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

In case you are interested, new FW version 5.90 is now available from the Sony support center. Go here to D/L: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS300
post #4483 of 4494 Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

In case you are interested, new FW version 5.90 is now available from the Sony support center. Go here to D/L: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS300

Hi.
I was going to download this latest update but was worried incase it put my blu-ray reader out like it did on my ps3. Can anyone tell me if this update is safe to use or if they have had any problems with their player since they done this update.
Thanks.
post #4484 of 4494 Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 AM

Hey peeps.
I've come across a little hickup with my Sony S300. I think its a disc problem and not a player problem. Well i hope its a disc problem.
A mate of mine has now started to copy blu-ray quality films on to blu-ray discs. From this site he's on and also through original's. The first few films he gave me worked perfectly fine on my player. But the last couple he's done for us haven't worked. It reads 'cannot play disc'. But when we put the discs in his player, it works fine.
The first few he done me were on 'traxdata' discs and the last couple were on 'mira' discs. Does this mean that my player won't play mira BD-R's?

Thanks in advance
post #4485 of 4494 Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 AM

Sorry i'll re-thrase that.
Does it mean my player won't play mira BD-R's or is there a problem with my player?
post #4486 of 4494 Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM

I finally solved a problem I have struggled with for years and wanted to share with those that might be having the same issue.

I have the same problem that many Sony BDP-S300 (and variants) users have had. Over time, the player becomes fussier and fussier with disk quality until it won't even read most brand-new DVD's and Blu-Ray disks. We try cleaning the disks and sometimes that works. We try upgrading FW and most of the time it does not fix the problem.

The player says 'CLOSE' forever, then it finally says 'CAN'T PLAY' on the display and (I think) 'Cannot play this disk' on the TV. Then the player's screen goes dark and it just idles (it looks like it shuts off, but its still on).

Long story short, all I had to do was run a DVD lens cleaner (I actually used an ancient one made by Scotch / 3M for CD players) and now my Blu-Ray player reads two disks that it absolutely would not read until now. One of those was a standard DVD! I haven't tried any others yet but going from 0 for 2 to 2 for 2 is pretty convincing to me.

Unfortunately, I had already purchased a new player, but at least I found this out before I trashed the old unit!

Granted, this may not cure all probelms with the Sony BDP-S300, but I'm guessing it will cure many, as the symptoms are nearly identical in most cases.

Before you chuck it, clean it.

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #4487 of 4494 Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

scorps1212, I've been dealing with a similar issue for years. I just ran a cleaner (special disk with brushes on it) and the problem is GONE. Just posted a thread on it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1381224

Cheers!

The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
post #4488 of 4494 Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

So i see this update adds True HD decoding. I assume DTS-MA is still unavailable for BDP-300 owners? My PS3 just crapped out, so i'm in the dark as to what codecs are still supported by this unit. I think i'd rather drop $100 bux on a new player than go without lossless audio.
post #4489 of 4494 Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Magnum View Post

So i see this update adds True HD decoding. I assume DTS-MA is still unavailable for BDP-300 owners? My PS3 just crapped out, so i'm in the dark as to what codecs are still supported by this unit. I think i'd rather drop $100 bux on a new player than go without lossless audio.

TRUE-HD and DTS-MA decoding has been part of this player for years.
post #4490 of 4494 Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Hi I have had the S300 for a while now did 1 firmware update and has worked great I am using it as a Cd player also I don't have much to compare it to for sound quality is there a better Blu ray player to get for 2 channel. I can use this one some where else.
post #4491 of 4494 Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Oppo
post #4492 of 4494 Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowx800 View Post

Hi I have had the S300 for a while now did 1 firmware update and has worked great I am using it as a Cd player also I don't have much to compare it to for sound quality is there a better Blu ray player to get for 2 channel. I can use this one some where else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1 View Post

Oppo

Another vote for Oppo. Although it's not inexpensive, there's no blu-ray player with better audio (and video) specs for the price than the BDP-93.
post #4493 of 4494 Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks I'm doing some research on oppo bdp-93
post #4494 of 4494 Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM

I purchased a movie for the girlfriend that she has been wanting forever. It's a British movie and I imagine its region code for UK. I was wondering if anyone has tried this below link to unlock their Sony player with success.

http://www.davidroessli.com/logs/2011/11/sony_bdp-s480_unlock/

I don't want to break my player.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page