post #541 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Keep in mind the chips in today's Blu-ray players were designed quite some time ago. DTS-HD MA is a newer format, so chip companies had to make some guesses about what kind of audio processing power was necessary. Those guesses turned out to be wrong.

Dolby TrueHD is based on the MLP lossless format, which has been around for awhile in the form of DVD Audio, so chip vendors knew to expect for that format.

DTS-HD MA is designed differently from TrueHD. TrueHD tracks are entirely separate from the Dolby Digital tracks. When you select a TrueHD track on a disk, you are only decoding the TrueHD track.

In contrast, to decode a DTS-HD MA track, the player must simultaneously decode the standard 1.5Mbps DTS track, plus a second 3-5Mbps MA extension track. These two tracks are decoded (uncompressed) and combined to form the final, uncompressed audio track.

TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are two different approaches to delivering lossless audio. TrueHD provides lossless audio in the most efficient way possible. DTS-HD MA sacrifices some efficiency to provide a backward compatible, 1.5Mbps DTS track. To provide backward compatibility on TrueHD titles, studios must include a separate Dolby Digital track. When you factor in backward compatibility, DTS-HD MA is more efficient -- i.e. DTS-HD MA requires more than TrueHD to deliver the same quality, but less space than TrueHD + Dolby Digital.

Well TrueHD on BluRay include a DD compatible track. I got a movie here, Ghost Rider, it have TrueHD and PCM in english.. and by default TrueHD is selected. Since i'am limited to Optical right now.. my amp is getting the DD 640kbps track and the PS3 show this info as well..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

Quote:

Keep in mind the chips in today's Blu-ray players were designed quite some time ago. DTS-HD MA is a newer format, so chip companies had to make some guesses about what kind of audio processing power was necessary. Those guesses turned out to be wrong.

post #543 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You are going to find that newer players are all going to have "little" glitches (lockups, power offs, etc) here and there. I have an older Sony DVP-NS975 which would randomly power off here and there for no rhyme or reason. I happens maybe once a month or so. I also have a Sony DVP-NS3100ES which is DOG slow in response from the remote. I figure the newer formats have all these little copy protection schemes which the players have to verify before playing the disc. As the schemes get more complicated, the longer it takes for the player to verify itself. All these have to be programmed into firmware, and unfortunately, new players come out so fast, the firmwares are NOT bug free with the lack of testing and debugging. My guess is that it is just going to get worse before it gets better.

As an example, the DVP-NS3100ES won't even play some of the newer Sony releases, such as "the Holiday" or "the Pursuit of Happyness"... Go figure.

But I am still amazed at how fast the PS3 is as a Blu-Ray player....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #544 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM
jvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

You are going to find that newer players are all going to have "little" glitches (lockups, power offs, etc) here and there. I have an older Sony DVP-NS975 which would randomly power off here and there for no rhyme or reason. I happens maybe once a month or so. I also have a Sony DVP-NS3100ES which is DOG slow in response from the remote. I figure the newer formats have all these little copy protection schemes which the players have to verify before playing the disc. As the schemes get more complicated, the longer it takes for the player to verify itself. All these have to be programmed into firmware, and unfortunately, new players come out so fast, the firmwares are NOT bug free with the lack of testing and debugging. My guess is that it is just going to get worse before it gets better.

As an example, the DVP-NS3100ES won't even play some of the newer Sony releases, such as "the Holiday" or "the Pursuit of Happyness"... Go figure.

But I am still amazed at how fast the PS3 is as a Blu-Ray player....

You guys sound like ptichmen for SOny trying to get PS3 sales up since videogame players are not buying them for games.
post #545 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Well TrueHD on BluRay include a DD compatible track. I got a movie here, Ghost Rider, it have TrueHD and PCM in english.. and by default TrueHD is selected. Since i'am limited to Optical right now.. my amp is getting the DD 640kbps track and the PS3 show this info as well..

Most Blu-ray titles with TrueHD include a Dolby Digital track, but the DD track is completely separate from the TrueHD track. The DD track is not part of the TrueHD track. See my post above.

In fact, the Blu-ray (BD-ROM) specification requires that every Blu-ray disk include a Dolby Digital, DTS, or LPCM track for backward compability for those without advanced format decoding. Players that do not advanced format decoding are supposed to automatically switch to the appropriate track for backward compatibility. Anytime you select TrueHD on the BDP-S300, the player chooses the DD track instead -- this is intentional.
post #546 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most Blu-ray titles with TrueHD include a Dolby Digital track, but the DD track is completely separate from the TrueHD track. The DD track is not part of the TrueHD track. See my post above.

In fact, the Blu-ray (BD-ROM) specification requires that every Blu-ray disk include a Dolby Digital, DTS, or LPCM track for backward compability for those with advanced format decoding. On a player that does not do advanced format decoding, it is supposed to automatically switch to the appropriate track for backward compatibility. Anytime you select TrueHD on the BDP-S300, the player chooses the DD track instead -- this is intentional.

bfdtv, maybe you can answer this one. If this Sony is not hdmi 1.3 (which I believe it is not) how can Sony advertise x.v.color? I thought extended color space could only be achieved in the hdmi 1.3 specification.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #547 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact, the Blu-ray (BD-ROM) specification requires that every Blu-ray disk include a Dolby Digital, DTS, or LPCM track for backward compability for those with advanced format decoding. On a player that does not do advanced format decoding, it is supposed to automatically switch to the appropriate track for backward compatibility. Anytime you select TrueHD on the BDP-S300, the player chooses the DD track instead -- this is intentional.

interesting, in stomp the yard, if I select TrueHD i get DD 640kbps on my ps3 w/optical out. there is no option to select DD in the audio menu.

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #548 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 View Post

interesting, in stomp the yard, if I select TrueHD i get DD 640kbps on my ps3 w/optical out. there is no option to select DD in the audio menu.

I don't have that title, but it is interesting they have hidden it that way.

It's not really that surprising though. That is a Sony Pictures release. The Sony PS3 already supports TrueHD decoding, and Sony is expected to add TrueHD decoding to both standalone Blu-ray players with a software update. Hence, in a few months, there is no reason for there to be a Dolby Digital selection on the disk -- it would just confuse customers who don't understand the formats.
post #549 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

bfdtv, maybe you can answer this one. If this Sony is not hdmi 1.3 (which I believe it is not) how can Sony advertise x.v.color? I thought extended color space could only be achieved in the hdmi 1.3 specification.

As you know, x.v.color is Sony's marketing name for xvYCC.

Kjack explained this well in another thread. With standard BT.601 (SD) and BT.709 (HD), colors are represented by 8-bit values from 16 to 235, with values 0-15 and 236-255 used for overshoot/undershoot support. We generally refer to these values as "peak white" and "blacker than black." With xvYCC, the values 0-15 and 236-255 are used differently -- they are meant to be seen and used purposely to increase the colors in the image.

I believe HDMI 1.3 adds the ability to support xvYCC with 10-bit, 12-bit, and 16-bit values, rather than 8-bit.

This is not the first time Sony has advertised x.v.color and delivered a product without HDMI 1.3. Some in Japan purchased new Sony x2550 LCDs that advertised x.v.color, thinking they had HDMI 1.3, only to find that they actually had HDMI 1.2 hardware.
post #550 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
The full TrueHD bitstream cannot be fed through optical.

Blu-ray requires the Dolby Digital lossy track to be attached to the TrueHD track, so that if your equipment can't support TrueHD lossless (via HDMI) the decoder will only "see" the regular 640 kilobits/sec lossy part of the signal.

However, I guess the streams (lossy and lossless) are still wholey separate entities with Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray (though attached; whereas with HD-DVD they are separately chosen in the disc menu and not joined as one stream). DTS Master Audio works differently where the lossy core is combined with extension data to fill in the pre-determined "gaps" so what comes out the other end is basically a bit-for-bit recreation of the master soundtrack.

Blu-ray wanted to make things simpler so the disc authorer could have the player/disc default to the Dolby TrueHD track and still maintain backwards compatibility rather than getting silence if your equipment was of legacy age (and you weren't home theater tech. savvy enough to know which audio format was superior and how to go about navigating the menus to find it). DTS just so happened to already be designed by default that way.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #551 of 4494 Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:

As you know, x.v.color is Sony's marketing name for xvYCC.

Kjack explained this well in another thread. With standard BT.601 (SD) and BT.709 (HD), colors are represented by 8-bit values from 16 to 235, with values 0-15 and 236-255 used for overshoot/undershoot support. We generally refer to these values as "peak white" and "blacker than black." With xvYCC, the values 0-15 and 236-255 are used differently -- they are meant to be seen and used purposely to increase the colors in the image.

I believe HDMI 1.3 adds the ability to support xvYCC with 10-bit, 12-bit, and 16-bit values, rather than 8-bit.

This is not the first time Sony has advertised x.v.color and delivered a product without HDMI 1.3. Some in Japan purchased new Sony x2550 LCDs that advertised x.v.color, thinking they had HDMI 1.3, only to find that they actually had HDMI 1.2 hardware.

Just to add, as bfdtv has explained above, xvColor or xvYCC, is simply a small extension of the colorspace that can be used. Which means the limits of each color are extended out a little.

What everyone confuses it with is what has been referred to as Deep Color. Deep colour doesn't extend out the limits of the colorspace, but instead uses many more values in the same colorspace to allow much smoother steps between colours. So the deepest red that can be displayed in 8-bit color (normal) or 16bit color (deep color) is the same. However between white and red for example, normal colour only has 256 values to represent the change, deep colour has 65536 values to represent that SAME range. Thus deep color can display much more subtle changes in color tone.

In both cases, normal 8bit and any deep color mode (>8 bit) x.v.Color extends the deepest red, green or blue further out. This can be dangerous in 8 bits as you still only have 256 steps to play with that are now further apart and this can potentially increase the likelihood of color banding, especially in that extended space. With say 16 bit color and 65536 values to play with, then it's much less of an issue.

So, HDMI 1.3 is required for deep colour, which is using more than 8 bits per colour to represent the steps between color. xvColor just extends the edges of the colorspace, but uses the same number of steps stretching them a bit further and does not require HDMI 1.3.

HTH, Ian.
post #552 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Thank you bfdtv and Ian_S for clearing up the x.v.Color claim from SONY. I'm still upset at the lack of clarity on SONY's part in their marketing strategy. I bought mine from Amazon (and I will return it to them) after reading the "Product Description" from the manufacturer (SONY) on Amazon's site, which I pasted in part below. If you have time to read it, let me know if it's not confusing regarding x.v.Color or outright misleading:

"Product Description

From the Manufacturer
See and hear a whole new world of high definition with the incredible BDP-S300 Blu-ray Disc Player. The crystalline clarity of 1080p Blu-ray Disc movies1 and DVD upscaling2 has to be seen to be believed. Amazing 24p True Cinema3 2 output and cinema-tuned picture presets allow you to see movies exactly how the director intended. And with BRAVIA Theatre Sync, you can now you can control your compatible BRAVIA TV and AV systems3 from just one remote.

x.v.Color
Thanks to the adoption of a newly approved international color standard called xvYCC (an option in the HDMI v1.3 spec and which Sony participated in helping to create), the color space has been greatly expanded. 1.8 times as many natural colors as existing HDTV signals will now be faithfully reproduced. (x.v.Color capability is available on select BRAVIA televisions, Blu-ray Disc players and the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system.)

24p True Cinema Video Output
Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are videotaped at 24p. Seizing an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. The BDP-S300 wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p output capability. The benefits are smoother and more natural-looking images that make watching television an experience to remember. (24p video input capability is available on select BRAVIA televisions.)...."
post #553 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

x.v.Color
Thanks to the adoption of a newly approved international color standard called xvYCC (an option in the HDMI v1.3 spec and which Sony participated in helping to create), the color space has been greatly expanded. 1.8 times as many natural colors as existing HDTV signals will now be faithfully reproduced. (x.v.Color capability is available on select BRAVIA televisions, Blu-ray Disc players and the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system.

Judging by this it appears that Sony is leading to people to believe that this player is hdmi 1.3.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #554 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbub View Post

There are about 500 of them, it's just a matter of picking which one you want to believe.

The thread seems to be all over the place. I just spent the last hour or so reading it, after having bought a BDP-S300 on Wednesday. If anything, it just reaffirms my belief that you should avoid the AVS Forum like the plague when you buy A/V gear, otherwise you'll be second guessing yourself for months.

From what I can tell, the main complaints are that it doesn't really support a couple of the uber-next gen-omg orgasm! sound codecs (or perhaps it can decode some of their information, but not all of it...) and it's not HDMI 1.3 compatible. Also, it's slow to load the Pirates of the Caribbean discs.

The DVD upscaling may be great, or it might suck, depending on who you want to believe.

I'm actually pretty happy with it. It replaced a 3 year old JVC 480p player, so the quality of DVD playback is a VAST improvement over what I had. We watched 'Batman Begins' and it looked great. The two BD discs that I have ('Superman Returns' and 'Planet Earth') look absolutely amazing. I was a bit worried about 'Superman Returns', because the quality of the DVD transfer was absolute crap. Fortunately, the BD quality is much much much higher.

thanks...

i installed it last night and played around with it a bit; funny you should mention Pirates since those are two discs I own so I did pop one of them in and yes, it was painfully slow to load.

the unit itself is very slow to begin with

i've noticed very poor response to remote key presses which was quite frustrating.

i think the UI is nice and clean; i like the settings that are tweakable. unit is fairly quiet...especially in comparison to the ps3. power up and loading times are much slower than the ps3, oddly enough...but it is on par with the hd-xa2.

i only used it to watch the messengers last night so really haven't had much time with it, but it does what i wanted it to do, play bd movies

it will be interesting to see how it handles the new releases that have bd+ and more java related content/menus.

the sluggish remote response is a downer; hope they fix that somehow.
post #555 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

A question I recently posted in the HDMI thread:

"What gives with Sony's latest entry into the BD market. The S300 has no spec identified for the HDMI version. A quick perusal of the manual also does not attribute HDMI to the HDMI Org nor does it appear to use the HDMI official logo.

From outward appearances the BD player seems to have some 1.3 functionality. Didn't it pass for the rest of the standard? Too cheap to pay the fee?

Anyone know wasssssup?"

Reply from HDMI_Org of HDMI Licensing
"Usage of the HDMI logo in not a requirement, but an option of the manufacturer. We have been encouraging manufacturers to be clear in how they communicate the product HDMI capabilities by not relying on the rev number, but instead clearly listing on the specific HDMI functions supported. We encourage consumers with the same advise not to rely on the HDMI rev number when purchasing equipment, because almost all the features are optional, so please make sure you look for specific feature (like 1080p, Deep Color, xv.Color, etc) on the spec list to make sure you get what you want.

All the paid HDMI Adopter companies are listed here if you're interested:
http://www.hdmi.org/about/adopters_founders.aspx"

I appreciate HDMI_Org's response. He didn't have to.

The answer certainly reflects Sony's behavior in their representation of this unit.

I am very comfortable dealing with protocols such as USB 1.0 or 2.0, Firewire etc. If I shop for a portable hard drive, I know that USB 2.0 is a transmission protocol and doesn't tell me that the hard drive is 50gb or 500gb. Why does HDMI/Sony think we can't deal with the truth. Standards and specs are supposed to be the truth. So I guess we've transitioned into a new era of specification ambiguity. Or even better, don't look at the specs, read the brochure. Marketing has you covered.

Caveat emptor is no longer sage advice, just read this thread.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #556 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Color me not impressed as well. My display is a 52" HD-ILA Projection TV (HD52FA97) that is 1080p/24fps capable. Just got through watching POTC DMC and I feel underwhelmed. Picture was dark ,and sound was improved by some degree, but not exactly what I was looking forward to. I put in a SD DVD copy of Breach ,and found it as good almost as good as the Blu-ray disc. I am having a real problem getting the unit to open and release disc. The unit in general seems sluggish. I tried the Panny 10a and found it better in general , but I got a real price break on the Sony. I think I'll take them both back and what for Christmas for a better unit that functions as well as my Sony 1080i upconvert dvd player.
post #557 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

Color me not impressed as well. My display is a 52" HD-ILA Projection TV (HD52FA97) that is 1080p/24fps capable. Just got through watching POTC DMC and I feel underwhelmed. Picture was dark ,and sound was improved by some degree, but not exactly what I was looking forward to. I put in a SD DVD copy of Breach ,and found it as good almost as good as the Blu-ray disc. I am having a real problem getting the unit to open and release disc. The unit in general seems sluggish. I tried the Panny 10a and found it better in general , but I got a real price break on the Sony. I think I'll take them both back and what for Christmas for a better unit that functions as well as my Sony 1080i upconvert dvd player.

The DVD was almost as good as the Blu-ray? Maybe you need take your TV back too.
post #558 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My monitor is great. I just was not wowed like I thought I would have been. I have had HD since 01',and I am no newbie, or fan boy of either format.

Mostly likely I am spoiled because of the 1080p upconversion of my monitor. I just wasn't impressed with the sluggish performance and the picture. It not like going from SD to HD. I had to unplug it twice to get a regular dvd out. It would display open for about a minute and then the dvd would start over while ignoring my request to open. I not anti Blu-ray ,but I am anti sluggish performance.
post #559 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

My monitor is great. I just was not wowed like I thought I would have been. I have had HD since 01',and I am no newbie, or fan boy of either format.

Mostly likely I am spoiled because of the 1080p upconversion of my monitor. I just wasn't impressed with the sluggish performance and the picture. It not like going from SD to HD. I had to unplug it twice to get a regular dvd out. It would display open for about a minute and then the dvd would start over while ignoring my request to open. I not anti Blu-ray ,but I am anti sluggish performance.

Maybe you should return it for a new unit. I've had no problems you stated. My Pio plasma can only support 1080p@24 and I've watched Casino Royale, Ghost Rider, and POTC-DMC and the picture was amazing. I'm no HD noobie either.

I will admit SD picture quality is not as sharp as my Panny S52 upconverting player but its not bad. I'm just keeping the Panny connected for SD (my preference). I've not seen and real sluggishness (different than an SD player - sure).
post #560 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Well, just got my S300 this morning.

Loving this piece of equipment. The load times were much shorter than I had thought they would be, even in Pirates: DMC. While DMC had a significant initial load time, I experiences no menu sluggishness that has been reported, and the talking skull worked perfectly.

Checked the upconversion versus my Toshiba A2. Have to say the A2 beats out this Sony hands down as far as upconversion goes, but I didn't buy the Sony for that, I bought it for Blu-ray, and it simply rocks that ability out.

Running this guy through a Samsung 4254 42" plasma TV. Even on a smaller screen like this, the picture was amazing. I dunno if its this particular Sony player, or Blu-rays discs as a whole, but while my A2 produced superior upconversion, I swear the actual HD playback is slightly better on this Sony through my Samsung TV (compared my buddy's copy of Corpse Bride on BR to my own copy of Corpse Bride on HD-DVD).

Suggestion time: the Sony is currently outputting 720p to my Samsung plasma (TV's native resolution). Is there any benefit to running 1080i instead? I know on the A2, 1080i tends to produce a better HD picture due to the A2's questionable ability to convert 1080i to 720p itself. Does the Sony have any problems making this conversion that anyone knows of?

Thanks!
post #561 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawhomp View Post

Well, just got my S300 this morning.

Loving this piece of equipment. The load times were much shorter than I had thought they would be, even in Pirates: DMC. While DMC had a significant initial load time, I experiences no menu sluggishness that has been reported, and the talking skull worked perfectly.

Checked the upconversion versus my Toshiba A2. Have to say the A2 beats out this Sony hands down as far as upconversion goes, but I didn't buy the Sony for that, I bought it for Blu-ray, and it simply rocks that ability out.

Running this guy through a Samsung 4254 42" plasma TV. Even on a smaller screen like this, the picture was amazing. I dunno if its this particular Sony player, or Blu-rays discs as a whole, but while my A2 produced superior upconversion, I swear the actual HD playback is slightly better on this Sony through my Samsung TV (compared my buddy's copy of Corpse Bride on BR to my own copy of Corpse Bride on HD-DVD).

Suggestion time: the Sony is currently outputting 720p to my Samsung plasma (TV's native resolution). Is there any benefit to running 1080i instead? I know on the A2, 1080i tends to produce a better HD picture due to the A2's questionable ability to convert 1080i to 720p itself. Does the Sony have any problems making this conversion that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

My suggestion is to always let the TV/monitor do the final conversion to its native resolution. Most sets have better scalers/deinterlacers than external units.
post #562 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I walked into Best Buy today with my 12% Reward Zone coupon that specifically excludes HD DVD and Blu-ray players in the fine print on the back, but when scanned at the register it deducted the 12% anyway. Good news if anyone wants on a deal on the player.

I'm disappointed to find that the 5.1 analog audio setup controls in the player are just as bad, if not worse, than those on my POS Samsung BD-P1000. It only has "On" or "Off" functions for each set of channels, and will only let you set speaker size for the front Left and Right. It does not offer any settings for speaker distances or volume levels, which are basically essential when using 5.1 analog.

I'm hoping it offers some picture quality improvement over the Samsung, but haven't been able to test that extensively yet.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #563 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 PM

I bought my BDP S300 today and couldn't be more pleased with it. I was waiting until Sony came out with a reasonably priced unit, paid $479.00 at Best Buy. My tv is a 65" rear projection Toshiba 65HDX82 that is 4 years old so no HDMI connection. So I used an HDMI converter to the DVI connector to get a 1080i. While not 1080p, the picture quality is never the less astounding and the audio hooked up to my Pioneer A/V receiver with an optical cable delivered excellent quality sound thru my Jamo speakers. Pearl Harbor, We Were Soldiers, Tears of the Sun, Babel and The Punisher all look and sound great. I'm glad I waited for this Sony, if you buy one you won't be disappointed.
post #564 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just got this one (my first Blu-Ray player) at Future Shop today.

I haven't had time to try it out much yet, but I am just confused about one thing. I put "Night at the Museum" in, which is labelled as 2.35, but when I view the movie, it fills the screen with no black bars (1.78 or 1.85).

Is the player zooming it or is it a misprint on the label (just like the original Cast Away DVD)?
post #565 of 4494 Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I'm disappointed to find that the 5.1 analog audio setup controls in the player are just as bad, if not worse, than those on my POS Samsung BD-P1000. It only has "On" or "Off" functions for each set of channels, and will only let you set speaker size for the front Left and Right. It does not offer any settings for speaker distances or volume levels, which are basically essential when using 5.1 analog.

Do u know if the S1 has the proper controls ?

(actually, can't u do the controls in the receiver while using its 5.1 analogue in ? For example I think my pio 59txi can do that)
post #566 of 4494 Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I walked into Best Buy today with my 12% Reward Zone coupon that specifically excludes HD DVD and Blu-ray players in the fine print on the back, but when scanned at the register it deducted the 12% anyway. Good news if anyone wants on a deal on the player.

I'm hoping it offers some picture quality improvement over the Samsung, but haven't been able to test that extensively yet.

That shouldn't matter should it.?? You adjust those in the receiver. Thats what I did with my HD-A1

3D Display - Epson TW9000w 3D Projector | 3D Player - Panasonic BD-110 3D player/PS3 | 3D Receiver -  Onkyo TX-NR818 | Speakers - Klipsch Reference 5.1 Speakers | PB12-NSD SVS Subwoofer

post #567 of 4494 Old 06-24-2007, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

My Bdp-300, ordered from CC on 6/13, got dropped off yesterday by the postman.
I didn't get around to setting it up until after midnight, when I was looking forward to kicking back and watching POTC and/or Casino Royale and/or Entrapment.

Unfortunately I got stuck with a P.O.S. unit, because the remote doesn't seem to work and as I quickly found out, the front panel controls are useless. I couldn't get thru the set up menu, and I couldn't access anything beyond the main menu of each disc. If only one of these had been authored similar to the Warner titles, I could have actually watched the movie.
Instead I'll have to make a trip to the store to return/exchange it.

Can't say I'm at all impressed with my first Blu-ray experience. Beyond the fact that either the remote or the unit itself is defective, I just was not at all impressed with the build quality for a $500 price tag. Really just confirms my long held belief that bang-for-the-buck value is not something you are going to get with this format. Just the opposite as a matter of fact. Given that this deck will be missing out on some key features in just a few months, and that you can easily buy upscaling players for under $150 now- this thing should be priced around $300. anything above that is a rip.
post #568 of 4494 Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Understand that you are dealing with an item that probably costs less than $25 to manufacture selling for $500. The fit and finish shouldn't surprise you in such a situation. This is still early on in the Hi Def DVD game. The manufacturers are trying to recoup some of the millions they spent on development. Do you remember when VHS tape machines were $2500? Nothing new about the way home entertainment technology prices move over time.

Once you get a good unit, I think you'll feel better. My 300 performs very nicely indeed and I'm sure your replacement will too. It is a thin black unit. I don't even notice what it looks like from across the room. The 1080P picture quality is outstanding. No complaints here.
post #569 of 4494 Old 06-24-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

broken units happen. I ordered a new Panasonic RP91 a couple years back from crutchfield and it would power on but nothing else. Sent it back and got a new one. It happens.
post #570 of 4494 Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

My Bdp-300, ordered from CC on 6/13, got dropped off yesterday by the postman.
I didn't get around to setting it up until after midnight, when I was looking forward to kicking back and watching POTC and/or Casino Royale and/or Entrapment.

Unfortunately I got stuck with a P.O.S. unit, because the remote doesn't seem to work and as I quickly found out, the front panel controls are useless. I couldn't get thru the set up menu, and I couldn't access anything beyond the main menu of each disc. If only one of these had been authored similar to the Warner titles, I could have actually watched the movie.
Instead I'll have to make a trip to the store to return/exchange it.

Can't say I'm at all impressed with my first Blu-ray experience. Beyond the fact that either the remote or the unit itself is defective, I just was not at all impressed with the build quality for a $500 price tag. Really just confirms my long held belief that bang-for-the-buck value is not something you are going to get with this format. Just the opposite as a matter of fact. Given that this deck will be missing out on some key features in just a few months, and that you can easily buy upscaling players for under $150 now- this thing should be priced around $300. anything above that is a rip.

The more you wait, the crappier the chassis and built will get and the higher the price you'll have to pay for a Better product..

Look at DVD Player.. DENON High End are almost 1000$ and a normla dvd player from a big CE is what 125$. Same will happen with Blu-Ray.

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page