Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

After careful comparison - I find my Denon bests my Sony on standard definition playback. And the Denon is much faster in all respects(loading/chapter skips/ menu navigation.) Better slo-mo/still/scanning too. Also - the layer change on the Denon is invisible. Not so on the Sony. So I use my Denon for SD DVD playback. As well as SACD and DVD-A. Sony exclusively for BD playback.

hmm. perhaps i need to consider a larger sample of SD material then. i really like me denon - it costs more than this BD player. i bought it because it played sacd ad dvd-a (plus any dual-disc i've thrown at it).

certainly agree that the denon is faster in all respects. should have stated the sony is "slow", though I had fully expected a terrible POTC experience. aside from the long initial load time, i was satisfied with the results. assuming disney really pushed the envelope here with the java interactivity.

i'm actually kind of happy there is no ethernet port on bd players ('cept the ps3). i fear the day the first studios include some type of "phone-home" DRM solution or some weird data collection system, or worse -- they deliver ads before a movie begins.

say -- anyone with POTC able to skip the ads on this player and go right the menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got out a flashlight last night to see what logos are on the front of the S300. One is DD Plus. If that is there, then it should decode to 7.1 LPCM IF you select PCM as the HDMI audio output according to the book.

The question is then, are there any Blu Ray disks with DD+ on them to test this?

Also noted is that the TrueHD logo is definitely not there, nor is anything referring to DTS-HD, although the DTS logo is there.

You have to use a flashlight (or at least I did) because there are no logos anywhere else except behind that panel. I'm assuming they will light with the proper track selection although I've never noticed it.

Lloyd
post #633 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I got out a flashlight last night to see what logos are on the front of the S300. One is DD Plus. If that is there, then it should decode to 7.1 LPCM IF you select PCM as the HDMI audio output according to the book.

The question is then, are there any Blu Ray disks with DD+ on them to test this?

Also noted is that the TrueHD logo is definitely not there, nor is anything referring to DTS-HD, although the DTS logo is there.

You have to use a flashlight (or at least I did) because there are no logos anywhere else except behind that panel. I'm assuming they will light with the proper track selection although I've never noticed it.

Well the question is on the S1 does the TrueHD show behind the panel? With the 2.0 S1 upgrade decoding TrueHD was an after thought.
post #634 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Well the question is on the S1 does the TrueHD show behind the panel? With the 2.0 S1 upgrade decoding TrueHD was an after thought.

Since the S1 didn't have it to begin with, I wouldn't expect it to have the logo.

Lloyd
post #635 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the S1 didn't have it to begin with, I wouldn't expect it to have the logo.

Right. I'm just saying with the 2.0 firmware on the S1, with a BD TrueHD and no logo, what indication would there be anyway?
post #636 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Right. I'm just saying with the 2.0 firmware on the S1, with a BD TrueHD and no logo, what indication would there be anyway?

Since TrueHD is only a 5.1 codec, or at least that's the only way I've seen it on my HDDVD, I don't know if you could tell since the S300 does 5.1 LPCM when it does TrueHD. The question then is what the hell is it sending? TrueHD decoded to LPCM seems not to be it.

I asked in the 'insiders' thread about this and have gotten no response. That either means there isn't a Sony electronics insider there, or like the technicians, they don't know anything either, or they can't say. Let me stop there before I go on a rant again! ;-)

Lloyd
post #637 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
FWIW,

I just registered my 300 and then completd the questionaire. Listed as one of the questions was "why did I choose the player". As one of the provided answers, Dolby TrueHD capability was listed. I can not connect via Analog because my stuff only has BYPASS capability but I sure would like to find out whether it can/will be able to handle what is currenntly on discs. If not, it is going back.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #638 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

FWIW,

I just registered my 300 and then completd the questionaire. Listed as one of the questions was "why did I choose the player". As one of the provided answers, Dolby TrueHD capability was listed. I can not connect via Analog because my stuff only has BYPASS capability but I sure would like to find out whether it can/will be able to handle what is currenntly on discs. If not, it is going back.

Well, it doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD and that has been tested. But the concensus is that Sony will do the right thing and provide a firmware update in the fall to correct that shorcoming. That said, while I hope that happens, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm keeping it because it works and what it actually does, it does very well, even if it didn't meet it's own specifications in my reading of the manual.

The problem you're going to find is that absolutely ZERO BD players do it all. That is the most frustrating part of BD, someone should be taken to the woodshed over this level of support provided by the MFGS!

Lloyd
post #639 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Well, it doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD and that has been tested. But the concensus is that Sony will do the right thing and provide a firmware update in the fall to correct that shorcoming. That said, while I hope that happens, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm keeping it because it works and what it actually does, it does very well, even if it didn't meet it's own specifications in my reading of the manual.

The problem you're going to find is that absolutely ZERO BD players do it all. That is the most frustrating part of BD, someone should be taken to the woodshed over this level of support provided by the MFGS!

I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #640 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I keep hearing about these firmware updates(rumors) for the Sony 300. Does anyone have real proof from "Sony" that says this WILL happen?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #641 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I keep hearing about these firmware updates(rumors) for the Sony 300. Does anyone have real proof from "Sony" that says this will happen?

Nope.

We all keep saying they will, but there is no certainty and no word from Sony either.

Lloyd
post #642 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope.

We all keep saying they will, but there is no certainty and no word from Sony either.

Wishful thinking huh?

post #643 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Wishful thinking huh?

Well, I had a tooth pulled the other day and I stuck it under my pillow. I'm now waiting for the tooth fairy to deliver the money OR Sony to provide the firmware update. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which will happen first...

Lloyd
post #644 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The XA2 that I had for 28 days did both True and DTS HD. I set it up with 6 analog lines going to the BYPASS in the ESP9ES PrePro which gave me no volume control. The XA2 has level setting in the individual channels so I adjusted them to give me a decent level. I played dseveral HD DVD films but frankly, I was not overwhelmedd by the sound. Between the low LFE channel and the lack of control of the others, I found the experience underwhelming. In contrast, when I plugged the 300 into optical, I was amazed at th clarity and breadth of the audio. If I didn't know better, I would think something better than DD is at work. I think there is a vast conspiracy to force people to replace perfectly good decoders, Preamps and amps for very little if any perceptible improvement in sound quality. I remember a statement made by a '50's HiFi afficionado, a friend of my dad's in 1959 who had built a pair of 'Jensen Free Standing Imperial's" the crown jewel of horns of the period. He said, "if you can't hear it, it probably is not there and never will be for your set of ears". That may be where we are with all these Dolby and DTS Codecs. Sure, I can here a flute screwing up with Dolby Digital but I have to work hard to hear errors in most multichannel reproduction. Why do you think they settled on 5.1 channels for TV programming? I for one am pissed and I usually react by doing withouut the new product. Because of that philosophy, I missed DAT, 8 Track, SQ, QS, Delay Systems and a few others.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #645 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope.

Well they did release new f/w for the S1 which now decodes DTHD 7.1 LPCM. There wasn't word they were doing this so maybe they will do the same for the S300
post #646 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

so, now that the samsung 1200 is $599 almost everywhere on the net and at BB stores, still keeping the sony?

I think I am going to spend the extra hundred and go with the samsung.

Well, I took back my Sony 300 back to BB last night and traded it for the Samsung 1200. What a let down in PQ compared to the Sony. I was very disappointed. I'm running an Optoma HD-72 at 720p with a 110" screen. With the Sony almost every movie made me oooh and aaah. Especially POTC Dead Man's Chest. The Samsung was comparatively very flat and didn't have the depth or contrast detail of the Sony. The Reon was great for standard def, but I just had to have that Sony PQ back for HD. So I re-exchanged it this morning. Set it up again, and yep, that Sony really shined. There is no way I could live with the Samsung after seeing the Sony. Wonder if its just the 720 processing of the two units, or when I get 1080p its still great?
post #647 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLgBch View Post

Well, I took back my Sony 300 back to BB last night and traded it for the Samsung 1200. What a let down in PQ compared to the Sony. I was very disappointed. I'm running an Optoma HD-72 at 720p with a 110" screen. With the Sony almost every movie made me oooh and aaah. Especially POTC Dead Man's Chest. The Samsung was comparatively very flat and didn't have the depth or contrast detail of the Sony. The Reon was great for standard def, but I just had to have that Sony PQ back for HD. So I re-exchanged it this morning. Set it up again, and yep, that Sony really shined. There is no way I could live with the Samsung after seeing the Sony. Wonder if its just the 720 processing of the two units, or when I get 1080p its still great?

I am surprised by this as I was very impressed with the Samsungs PQ, although I never used it at 720p. The way it handles 720p must be the reason why the Sony looked better to you.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #648 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLgBch View Post

Others have objectively tested the Blu-ray movie output of the Sony BDP-S1 (same as BDP-S300, afaik) and Samsung BD-P1200 and found it to be identical. However, they tested 1080p. Very few people test 720p. Still, I am surprised at the difference you report and I wonder whether it might be a calibration issue.

The BD-P1200 does offer a superior picture on DVDs, as well as Blu-ray disks encoded with 1080i (typically concert titles, ex: Nine Inch Nails disk). The Sony downconverts such 1080i disks to 540p, whereas the Samsung correctly deinterlaces them to 1080p.

I still think most of the differences people report between the Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic with Blu-ray output are calibration-related, possibly the result of how different displays handle 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 output.
post #649 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I use a VXD3000 Scaler with a Reon Chip. It is part of the two piece Optoma HD81. I found that the PQ of SD was not as good as the PQ of the same SD movies coming out of my now ancient pioneer Elite DV-09. Today, I placed the 300 on Direct mode which makes the 300 put out 480i/60 the same as my Pioneer. The Reon chip upscales the 480i to 1080p and I use the 24fps setting on the 300 and the HD81/VXD3000. SD picture quality was very nice. I watched "The Good Shephard". Outstanding. If we get the upgrade to the firmware that will let me use either the 5.1 analog out or the HDMI out, this will turn out to be the best player I've seen/played with. It loads fast, doesn't skip,plays my DVD+R and DVD+RW discs without skipping a beat. Now on to BluRay Backups. When do we get the firmware? This could turn out to be the machine that turns the tide definitively and wins the war for BluRay. Having suffered through a lot of crap with the Toshiba XA@,i hope Sony seizes the opportunity and fixes the firmware so it can do what Sony already claims.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #650 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but the HDMI sync from the bdp300 is very finicky. I have to switch to another input (other than the bdp300), power up the bdp300 and wait until it's finished booting, then switch to its input. Otherwise, I lose sync whenever I power the player down and it comes up with a blank screen.
post #651 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Often I get a Blue screen (HDMI Sync Issue) while the various devices are tring to figure out the resolution, timing etc. Once it figures it out, everything is stable. I set everything to native and the 300 to Direct View so that is why it happens. If I set them at a given resolutiuon they do not hunt and I avoid the Blue screen. I prefer Native and Direct at 24p

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #652 of 4494 Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Hi guys, I'm a rookie at this stuff and really value your input. I just purchased the S300 and want to get an idea of what to expect once hooked up to my Sony KDS-R60XBR1. From what I recall, my TV is 1080i but capable of converting a 1080p feed (I hope I'm saying that right). I guess my main question is will I get the full PQ effect from the S300 through this setup? Thanks in advance.

Been reading these threads for a couple days now and must say I'm very impressed. In time, I'll learn alot on this board. I look forward to it.

Thx, Showdown
post #653 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

I just purchased the new BDP-300 (bad timing because of the movie offer) and so far I like it. I do find that the slight delay before rewinding/fast forwarding movies is annoying. Is this a SONY issue or a Blu-Ray issue?

I think the up-conversion is amazing. Comparing both DVD and Blu-Ray version of Black Hawk Down I could clearly see the Blu-Ray was superior, but the DVD was very good also. I am running it on a Sanyo Z4 at 720p at 136". The Blu-Ray images look stunning! Some day I'll get a 1080p projector.
post #654 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdown View Post

Hi guys, I'm a rookie at this stuff and really value your input. I just purchased the S300 and want to get an idea of what to expect once hooked up to my Sony KDS-R60XBR1. From what I recall, my TV is 1080i but capable of converting a 1080p feed (I hope I'm saying that right). I guess my main question is will I get the full PQ effect from the S300 through this setup? Thanks in advance.

Been reading these threads for a couple days now and must say I'm very impressed. In time, I'll learn alot on this board. I look forward to it.

Thx, Showdown

IIRC, that set is 1080p but only accepts 1080i input. However, your set's internal deinterlacer should convert to 1080p for you. Assuming this is done properly, you should get the full benefit.
post #655 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemsaba View Post

I just purchased the new BDP-300 (bad timing because of the movie offer) and so far I like it. I do find that the slight delay before rewinding/fast forwarding movies is annoying. Is this a SONY issue or a Blu-Ray issue?

I think the up-conversion is amazing. Comparing both DVD and Blu-Ray version of Black Hawk Down I could clearly see the Blu-Ray was superior, but the DVD was very good also. I am running it on a Sanyo Z4 at 720p at 136". The Blu-Ray images look stunning! Some day I'll get a 1080p projector.

The stock remote seems laggy, I programmed the S300 into my Logitech Harmony 550 and my lag issues disappeared.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #656 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 AM

I am ( at least for now) using the S300 with component connections to my 1080i pioneer TV and found the picture to be much better than my SD DVD of POC at 480P. I have the SD and BD versions of POC.

I was suprised to lean that the S300 would down convert to 1080i from the BD 1080P

Am I thinking this out correctly?

Thanks
post #657 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you're using component connections SD DVDs will be displayed at 480P max and BDs will be displayed at 1080i max.

Clark
post #658 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 AM

I purchased the bdp-s300 a week ago and finally got a chance to open up the unit. I love the picture quality on this unit and it complimetns my sony xbr3 very nicely. I was wondering for picture presets which would be better?

Standard, Theater, or brighter room?

Since the XBR3 is an lcd the brighter room made the colors stand out very nicely, the blacks really black and the whites really white, and the dark theather was to dark for my liking. I didnt mind the standard, only i found it was too dark at certain times in the movies.

Is anyone else using the brighter room preset or the standard?

Also any customize presets that anyone has been using would be helpful because I want to get the most out of this player!

Thank you for your time and cooperation!

-Johnny
post #659 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 AM

If some of you are undecided between the SONY BDP S-300 and the Samsung BDP 1200 because of the price difference, Amazon.com is currently selling the Samsung (through one of their independent retailers, J&R) for the same price as the SONY.

And check this out!!! If you buy a Blu Ray player between July 1 and September 30 (any Blu Ray player), you qualify to get 5 free Blu Ray movies. First saw it posted on www.blu-ray.com which provides a link to the offer, www.bluraysavings.com , but the site is not up yet (it may be up this weekend or July 1).
post #660 of 4494 Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

IIRC, that set is 1080p but only accepts 1080i input. However, your set's internal deinterlacer should convert to 1080p for you. Assuming this is done properly, you should get the full benefit.

Thanks for the response!

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "assuming this is done properly"? Would this be in regards to the initial set-up up my S300 to the TV? Any advice? Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page