Official Sony Bdp-300/301 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Must be DTS. Perhaps it just passes the "core". Whatever it is, it sounds fantastic through the Millenium Box.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Newbie
 
Mikey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoose View Post

Received mine today and just watched portions of POTC1, Casino Royale, and Open Season. I have a 46" 1080 LCD but I use the Yamaha ysp800 as my receiver/speaker which doesn't have hdmi so I connected via coax digital.

My impressions are favorable. Load times pretty good except Pirates. SD upscaling better than my previous samsung hd-860 dvd player by a good amount. BD PQ is amazing but this is my first HD player. For $499 I am happy with the purchase.

Your setup sounds similar to mine (Coax out to receiver). I am curious as to what your sound settings are on the 300? I am confused as to PCM vs. Dolby Digital.
Mikey60 is offline  
post #723 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 View Post

No need to reset the player; just press the Video Format button on the remote once and wait a few seconds. If still no picture, press it again and wait. It takes a couple of seconds after each press, but this will cycle it through the video modes.

That worked. I went back to the setup menu, which still had 1080/24 selected. HOWEVER, without changing it, I tried to play the movie (POTC DMC). Did get the error message again, but selecting the video mode I got a picture. Selected 1080p and still had a picture (with 1080/24 still selected). I guess the player passes the 1080/60 signal somehow. Anyway, went back and unselected the 1080/24 and I shouldn't get the error again.
Ramrod is offline  
post #724 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
th8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help with a couple of questions before I purchase the 300. Why does it say on page 48 of the manual that it will decode Dolby True HD but people are saying it will not? If I purchase the Onk 905 when it comes out since it does decode True HD and DTS HD Master if I hook up the 300 to it will the 905 decode from the BR disc? Thanks.
th8ter is offline  
post #725 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apparently, if you believe the owners in this forum, the 300 will,

through the HDMI cable

1. pass decoded DD and DTS in the form of 6 channels of PCM;
2. not pass Dolby True HD or DTS HD as PCM even though it is supposed to.

through the 6 analog channels,

1. pass 6 channels of decoded DD or DTS depending on what one chooses on the disc;
2. not pass decoded Dolby True HD or DTS HD even though i is supposed to.

through the SPDIF connector,

1. a DD or DTS bitstream to the appropriate decoder.

That is it if you believe what you read on here.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
post #726 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter View Post

Please help with a couple of questions before I purchase the 300. Why does it say on page 48 of the manual that it will decode Dolby True HD but people are saying it will not? If I purchase the Onk 905 when it comes out since it does decode True HD and DTS HD Master if I hook up the 300 to it will the 905 decode from the BR disc? Thanks.

All indications (including some people's conversations with Sony support) are that the S300 does not presently decode TrueHD. There is a suspicion that a firmware update could change that (as happened with the first gen Toshiba HD-DVD players, which initially could only do TrueHD in two channels but later received a firmware update that allowed full multichannel TrueHD).

It would seem to be pretty conclusively proven that the S300's HDMI output is not HDMI v1.3, and thus it will never be able to output a bitstream for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Thus, an Onkyo 905 would not be able to decode those formats internally - the player can't output them undecoded, and since it is a hardware restriction no firmware update can change that.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #727 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
th8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input, I may just hold off on the BR decesion until the format includes 1.3, True HD, & DTS Master. I hate all this waiting for things to come to fruition.
th8ter is offline  
post #728 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
amillians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Bloom County
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter View Post

Why does it say on page 48 of the manual that it will decode Dolby True HD but people are saying it will not?

That page says *nothing* about decoding DTHD. It shows that the BDP-S300 "outputs" 5.1 LPCM via HDMI from a DTHD track and that it "outputs" Dolby Digital via HDMI from a DTHD track. As has been stated numerous times, output != decode...the Blu-ray spec requires DTHD tracks to be packaged with DD tracks ("Dolby Lossless"), so players that can't decode DTHD can still "see" the legacy DD track. Yes, it's borderline deceiving, but, well, Sony played fast and loose with marketing the BDP-S1 in the respect as well.

When the firmware in the BDP-S300 is upgraded to support DTHD decoding, Sony will issue a owner's manual addendum to p. 48, explicitly stating it decodes, just as they did in the addendum to the BDP-S1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter View Post

If I purchase the Onk 905 when it comes out since it does decode True HD and DTS HD Master if I hook up the 300 to it will the 905 decode from the BR disc?

Unfortunately, the BDP-S300 will never pass advanced audio bitstreams via HDMI. The HDMI chipset in the unit is only 1.1 compliant.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
amillians is offline  
post #729 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Unfortunately, the BDP-S300 will never pass advanced audio bitstreams via HDMI. The HDMI chipset in the unit is only 1.1 compliant.

I don't know why ppl are getting so bent out of shape about passing DTS-HD & DD TrueHD un-decoded out via HDMI??? Even when Players/AVR's with HDMI v1.3 become available, the vast majority of discs released in the future will be mastered using the "advanced content author mode" and all decoding and mixing will be done on the player whether you have HDMI v1.3 gear or not!

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
djos is offline  
post #730 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

That page says *nothing* about decoding DTHD. It shows that the BDP-S300 "outputs" 5.1 LPCM via HDMI from a DTHD track and that it "outputs" Dolby Digital via HDMI from a DTHD track. As has been stated numerous times, output != decode...the Blu-ray spec requires DTHD tracks to be packaged with DD tracks ("Dolby Lossless"), so players that can't decode DTHD can still "see" the legacy DD track. Yes, it's borderline deceiving, but, well, Sony played fast and loose with marketing the BDP-S1 in the respect as well.

When the firmware in the BDP-S300 is upgraded to support DTHD decoding, Sony will issue a owner's manual addendum to p. 48, explicitly stating it decodes, just as they did in the addendum to the BDP-S1.

Unfortunately, the BDP-S300 will never pass advanced audio bitstreams via HDMI. The HDMI chipset in the unit is only 1.1 compliant.

While it doesn't in fact decode TrueHD and DTS-HD, that page IS certainly designed to make you believe that it does. Sony spent a lot of time to set that page up just so we would think that.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #731 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, this is really disgusting. Bear with me once again while I try to restate what some seem to understand but others can not believe.

As of 6/30/07, the only audio from a BR disc that comes out of the BDP-S300 via the S300's HDMI output is Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, or multichannel PCM (either decoded DD/DTS or a raw PCM track.) The 6 analog channels each carry an analog line level signal of each of the 5.1 DD and DTS signals included on BR discs. IMPORTANT: These are analog signals, not LPCM.

In the future, if Sony wants to remain in business and not lose all its credibility, Sony will provide updated firmware to its customers who purchased a BDP-S300. That improved firmware will make it possible for BR discs that have Dolby True HD or DTS HD encoded audio to output analog signals at line level from the HDMI and the 6 analog channels. This is how HD DVD players handle such material today.

Dolby True HD and DTS HD will never be available via the SPDIF o HDMI connections because Sony's chose to use older and less powerful decoder IC's that can not and will never stream these formats to a receiver or PrePro with Dolby True HD and DTS HD decoding capability. If you decide to keep this player, find a preamp or receiver with 6 analog/line level inputs. Purchasing equipment with decoding capability will be of no benefit to individual who seek to listen to material encoded with advanced codecs such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

NOTE: Corrected to reflect Gonk's comment. Is this correct now?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
post #732 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycure299 View Post

Hello everyone,

My receiver is an old denon 3803 which is a 7.1 receiver with dolby digital and DTS. I still want to be able to utilize all of my speakers in my setup. Currently, because its the way I've always done it, I use optical cables for audio. Soooo, what should I have my audio settings set to on the receiver and the BD player?

After reading all the pages about the new audio formats I'm more confuzzled than ever. I will eventually upgrade my receiver to hdmi that does 1080p upconverting (in case I need it) with the new audio formats. But for now, what should I have everything set to?

You might have an audio problem with the Denon. I have the 3802 and when using BluRay, the audio distorts severely when any 640kbps movie is played. The Denon DD decoder seems to overload when fed a signal with a high volume. The 3802 was designed for standard DVDs which uses a 448kbps soundtrack, so no problem with them, but blu-ray will have EXTREMELY loud bursts of noise when there is a lot of action going on....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #733 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

As of 6/30/07, the only audio from a BR disc that comes out of the BDP-S300 via the HDMI or the 6 analog channels is an analog line level signal of each of the 5.1 DD and DTS signals included on BR discs. IMPORTANT: These are analog signals, not LPCM.

The HDMI cable would not carry analog data, as it is a purely digital interface. It would seem more accurate to say that the S300's HDMI output would offer Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, or multichannel PCM (either decoded DD/DTS or a raw PCM track on the BD). The multichannel analog output would offer that decoded DD/DTS or raw PCM in analog form. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA (the actual lossless compressed tracks themselves) are nowhere in that mix, though...

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
gonk is offline  
post #734 of 4494 Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Newbie
 
ChrisnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that does it. My POS BDP-S300 and experiment with Sony's Blu-Ray is going back... I guess I'll just wait to see when this supposed superior format actually starts act like the superior format. Blu-ray makes alot of claims, but at the end of the day just can't seem to deliver the goods. And don't tell me we are to early in this process. These formats have been out for over a year and we have second generation units on the shelves...

Until Blu-ray can prove itself, I guess I'll just stick with my supposed inferior first gen HD-DVD unit that does everything that it promised...
ChrisnTX is offline  
post #735 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Newbie
 
FXSTBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the BDP-S300 perfect? No, but what is. It is what it is, an entry level Blu-ray disc player. In my opinion the picture quality is outstanding, then again that is on my screen, not yours. The sound is terrific, even if it isn't TrueHD it sounds great, an improvement over Sd dvd's.

The loading times being slow for the pirates movies? I clocked loading times on both pirates movies at 2 mins +/- a couple of seconds, so what? Go make yourself some popcorn. It's not worth returning it so I can get a model that loads 30-40 seconds quicker. Or even 2 minutes quicker.

I have not seen any freezing on any movies yet.

It is what it is, the lowest priced Blu-ray disc player with an outstanding picture and audio that may even improve with firmware.

I'm not returning mine, as I could do much worse for much more.
FXSTBI is offline  
post #736 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Member
 
fryinpan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed that the screen goes black/blank for a second during the middle of a few Blu-ray movies. Is this normal or some type of layer change?

- Danny
fryinpan1 is offline  
post #737 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Newbie
 
hwy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this BDPS-300 for past two weeks and called SONY support but with set-up of Panasonic TH-50PZ700 1080P, Onkyo TX-SR805 , SONY BDPS-300, HDMI connection, am not able to get excellent audio quality you expect with lack of 7.1 or TRUE HD or DTS-MA. Dissappointed that this second generation is not playing TRUE HD or DTS-MA or 7.1 channel PCM audio.

Loading seems awefully slow. This is my first foray into HD from the fence.

Video quality is excellent on this BDPS-300 playing BD and conventional DVDs.

Debated about purchasing Panasonic DMP-10AK except it is repackaged DMP-10 per CNET and others. Any comparison on Audio/video quality of BDPS-300 with Panasonic DMP-10AK would be appreciated.

It's frustrating that two years ito technology development brings non-uniform improvements as no one company incorporates all best features of A/V signals from their players.
hwy19 is offline  
post #738 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seems a bit of misinformation is hitting this thread this morning...

The BDP-S300 does in fact output 5.1/6.1/7.1 LPCM just fine. It does DTS and DD just fine also.

What it does not do is decode TrueHD or DTS-HD.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #739 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Wow, this is really disgusting. Bear with me once again while I try to restate what some seem to understand but others can not believe.

As of 6/30/07, the only audio from a BR disc that comes out of the BDP-S300 via the S300's HDMI output is Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, or multichannel PCM (either decoded DD/DTS or a raw PCM track.) The 6 analog channels each carry an analog line level signal of each of the 5.1 DD and DTS signals included on BR discs. IMPORTANT: These are analog signals, not LPCM.

In the future, if Sony wants to remain in business and not lose all its credibility, Sony will provide updated firmware to its customers who purchased a BDP-S300. That improved firmware will make it possible for BR discs that have Dolby True HD or DTS HD encoded audio to output analog signals at line level from the HDMI and the 6 analog channels. This is how HD DVD players handle such material today.

Dolby True HD and DTS HD will never be available via the SPDIF o HDMI connections because Sony's chose to use older and less powerful decoder IC's that can not and will never stream these formats to a receiver or PrePro with Dolby True HD and DTS HD decoding capability. If you decide to keep this player, find a preamp or receiver with 6 analog/line level inputs. Purchasing equipment with decoding capability will be of no benefit to individual who seek to listen to material encoded with advanced codecs such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

NOTE: Corrected to reflect Gonk's comment. Is this correct now?

Nice write-up, but I think you are making a mountain out of a temporary molehill.

1. The S300 does what it does very well, and very similar to most other BD players, and even HDDVD players

2. The output of the SPDIF will never stream the high bitrate codecs because it lacks the bandwidth. That is true of all SPDIF today. What they can do, and what both format players do is downmix the high bitrate codecs to something that the SPDIF can handle. Which is encoded DD or DTS.

3. The HDMI output is LPCM from decoded codecs because that is the way both format players chose to do things.

4. There are no announced plans from any BD or HDDVD mfg to allow the passing of TrueHD or DTS-HD unencoded to any receiver. And the disks are authored in a way that won't allow it anyway. The prime reason given is to ensure syncing of video and audio.

5. The analog outputs are just that analog. They do not and probably never will, pass the DIGITAL, undecoded codes out. That's not why they are there.

So while I think Sony was very misleading in the owner's manual for the S300 and wanted people to look and think it did decode TrueHD and DTS-HD, I do think that Sony will provide a firmware upgrade that will do that decoding.

Assuming that is so, then Sony's S300 will be doing exactly what SOME, but not all of the other BD players are doing. NONE of the BD players on the market today, nor the future ones that have been speculated about, will pass undecoded high bitrate codecs.

So if you think that the lack of undecoded pass through is important, then you need to rethink your choice to go to either BD or HDDVD because it appears that it will never happen and the light on your super-duper AVR for TrueHD or DTS-HD will probably never light up, at least not from a signal coming from your HDDVD or BD player.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #740 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Member
 
nonametofame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the 300 for a few days now and will be returning it for a Panny. With the 5 free movies bundled in, it's about same price as the Sony. I was really looking forward to seeing a PQ improvement if not comparable to my PS3. Demoed a few movies and was surprised that the PS3 was a tad sharper in all my results. I even did an extra calibration using the in player custom settings. Better to leave on standard and calibrate your monitor. And the other reasons mentioned earlier also annoy me:

Slow boot up (My HD-A1 was a second faster)
Slow to load POTC movies
Delay in remote response
Currently no Dolby TruHD

What I do like about it is:
5.1 analog outputs (for use with my non hdmi bedroom receiver)
Whisper quiet (I was most impressed by this)

With a few firmware updates and a < $400 price tag, this player should be great.
nonametofame is offline  
post #741 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Darian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You know you could send in your receipt for the Sony and get 5 free Blu-Rays...
Darian is offline  
post #742 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cappyxavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Must be DTS. Perhaps it just passes the "core". Whatever it is, it sounds fantastic through the Millenium Box.



it does sound tighter when compared to a sd-dvd however it is in no way comparable to lossless pcm or hdmi.

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
cappyxavs is offline  
post #743 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cappyxavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Nice write-up, but I think you are making a mountain out of a temporary molehill.

1. The S300 does what it does very well, and very similar to most other BD players, and even HDDVD players

2. The output of the SPDIF will never stream the high bitrate codecs because it lacks the bandwidth. That is true of all SPDIF today. What they can do, and what both format players do is downmix the high bitrate codecs to something that the SPDIF can handle. Which is encoded DD or DTS.

3. The HDMI output is LPCM from decoded codecs because that is the way both format players chose to do things.

4. There are no announced plans from any BD or HDDVD mfg to allow the passing of TrueHD or DTS-HD unencoded to any receiver. And the disks are authored in a way that won't allow it anyway. The prime reason given is to ensure syncing of video and audio.

5. The analog outputs are just that analog. They do not and probably never will, pass the DIGITAL, undecoded codes out. That's not why they are there.

So while I think Sony was very misleading in the owner's manual for the S300 and wanted people to look and think it did decode TrueHD and DTS-HD, I do think that Sony will provide a firmware upgrade that will do that decoding.

Assuming that is so, then Sony's S300 will be doing exactly what SOME, but not all of the other BD players are doing. NONE of the BD players on the market today, nor the future ones that have been speculated about, will pass undecoded high bitrate codecs.

So if you think that the lack of undecoded pass through is important, then you need to rethink your choice to go to either BD or HDDVD because it appears that it will never happen and the light on your super-duper AVR for TrueHD or DTS-HD will probably never light up, at least not from a signal coming from your HDDVD or BD player.


thank you i had no idea that the truehd and dtshd would not be available via hdmi. i was considering changing up to a more current avr with hdmi inputs so i would not have to run six analog cables however from what i am reading here i am better off staying with my older avr and running the cables. from everything i have read the final output from the speakers is exactly the same.
no fool in thier right mind is going to send high end codec uncoded to any avr. the only way this will ever happen is if it stays coded into the avr. maybe somehow with hdmi 1.3

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
cappyxavs is offline  
post #744 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs View Post

thank you i had no idea that the truehd and dtshd would not be available via hdmi. i was considering changing up to a more current avr with hdmi inputs so i would not have to run six analog cables however from what i am reading here i am better off staying with my older avr and running the cables. from everything i have read the final output from the speakers is exactly the same.
no fool in thier right mind is going to send high end codec uncoded to any avr. the only way this will ever happen is if it stays coded into the avr. maybe somehow with hdmi 1.3

Won't happen with hdmi 1.3 either, as the BD and HDDVD players and software are not planned for this to happen.

One advantage of HDMI for most, besides the obvious 1 cable connection, is that the HDMI signals can be massaged in the AVR, but lots (maybe most) AVRs don't apply any post processing to the 6/8 analog inputs.

I know that I can layer in Dolby PIxx over a 5.1 LPCM to get a 7.1 LPCM, but not if I come in via the analogs.

Just all in personal preference.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #745 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Nice write-up, but I think you are making a mountain out of a temporary molehill.

1. The S300 does what it does very well, and very similar to most other BD players, and even HDDVD players.

[I agree, it does deliver a gorgeous picture. As far as doing what other players do, I have to disagree. The XA2 I owned for 27 days decoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD internally and sent out 6 line level analog voltage signals of the converted program material. The 300 does not do that.]

2. The output of the SPDIF will never stream the high bitrate codecs because it lacks the bandwidth. That is true of all SPDIF today. What they can do, and what both format players do is downmix the high bitrate codecs to something that the SPDIF can handle. Which is encoded DD or DTS.

[I agree.]

3. The HDMI output is LPCM from decoded codecs because that is the way both format players chose to do things.

[I have been led to believe from all the discussion here that what you say is true but only for DD and DTS encoded material.]

4. There are no announced plans from any BD or HDDVD mfg to allow the passing of TrueHD or DTS-HD unencoded to any receiver. And the disks are authored in a way that won't allow it anyway. The prime reason given is to ensure syncing of video and audio.

[I understand that. I don't believe I said anything different.]

5. The analog outputs are just that analog. They do not and probably never will, pass the DIGITAL, undecoded codes out. That's not why they are there.

[No argument here]

So while I think Sony was very misleading in the owner's manual for the S300 and wanted people to look and think it did decode TrueHD and DTS-HD, I do think that Sony will provide a firmware upgrade that will do that decoding.

[I hope so but they better hurry because based on our experience, many off us may be returning this payer very soon because of the misleading claims made by Sony]

Assuming that is so, then Sony's S300 will be doing exactly what SOME, but not all of the other BD players are doing. NONE of the BD players on the market today, nor the future ones that have been speculated about, will pass undecoded high bitrate codecs.

[I agree]

So if you think that the lack of undecoded pass through is important, then you need to rethink your choice to go to either BD or HDDVD because it appears that it will never happen and the light on your super-duper AVR for TrueHD or DTS-HD will probably never light up, at least not from a signal coming from your HDDVD or BD player.

[I never said that passing through undecoded pass through was important but if players will never pass material with high bitrates through then why are receivers being designedd to decode the codecs?]

As to why I did this. I hoped to simplify. In fact, the 300 does not do what the XA2 and many other machines do currently. It appears to me that as the 300 is currently configured, it will put out the same quality of audio from all of its outputs. DD and DTS via HDMI LPCM or DD and DTS via the SPDIF connector. Is there something I am still missing? Is there something else available via HDMI that you and I have not mentioned? Looks to me like Sony has just plain lied to us. I hate lies.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
post #746 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

[I never said that passing through undecoded pass through was important but if players will never pass material with high bitrates through then why are receivers being designedd to decode the codecs?]

As to why I did this. I hoped to simplify. In fact, the 300 does not do what the XA2 and many other machines do currently. It appears to me that as the 300 is currently configured, it will put out the same quality of audio from all of its outputs. DD and DTS via HDMI LPCM or DD and DTS via the SPDIF connector. Is there something I am still missing? Is there something else available via HDMI that you and I have not mentioned? Looks to me like Sony has just plain lied to us. I hate lies.

The only reason I can think of for some AVRs to have this decoding is to add $$$ to the cost, kind of like adding HDMI 1.3 for almost everything. More marketing than needed technology. Because unless they know something none of the rest of us do, no BD or HDDVD player is going to ever pass those undecoded to the AVR.

And I agree, my HDA2 does TrueHD just fine and the book says it will. Unlike the Sony book that STRONGLY IMPLIES, if not just lies, that the S300 does it too. In another thread/reply, I said and meant that if my ears were better and my AVR worse, this puppy would have gone back in the box and off to Sony.

But what happened is that Sony lost a further buy from me because of it. The Sony DG910 AVR was in the top 3 running for a new AVR. Instead I ended up trading and retrading a Harman Kardon AVR247 (great sound) and the Yamaha RV-X661 a couple of times and settling on the Yammy. The Sony never even got a trial run.

I even toyed with the idea of sending it back and getting a PS3. But I don't like the form factor for the PS3 and I don't play games.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #747 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,190
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Wow, this is really disgusting. Bear with me once again while I try to restate what some seem to understand but others can not believe.

As of 6/30/07, the only audio from a BR disc that comes out of the BDP-S300 via the S300's HDMI output is Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, or multichannel PCM (either decoded DD/DTS or a raw PCM track.) The 6 analog channels each carry an analog line level signal of each of the 5.1 DD and DTS signals included on BR discs. IMPORTANT: These are analog signals, not LPCM.

In the future, if Sony wants to remain in business and not lose all its credibility, Sony will provide updated firmware to its customers who purchased a BDP-S300. That improved firmware will make it possible for BR discs that have Dolby True HD or DTS HD encoded audio to output analog signals at line level from the HDMI and the 6 analog channels. This is how HD DVD players handle such material today.

Dolby True HD and DTS HD will never be available via the SPDIF o HDMI connections because Sony's chose to use older and less powerful decoder IC's that can not and will never stream these formats to a receiver or PrePro with Dolby True HD and DTS HD decoding capability. If you decide to keep this player, find a preamp or receiver with 6 analog/line level inputs. Purchasing equipment with decoding capability will be of no benefit to individual who seek to listen to material encoded with advanced codecs such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

NOTE: Corrected to reflect Gonk's comment. Is this correct now?

Art, I'm a bit confused. How will the Sony output 6 channels via analog? I don't have the Sony, but it doesn't appear to have the necessary analog outputs to do that. I'm sure I'm missing something here.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #748 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:39 PM
 
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Art, I'm a bit confused. How will the Sony output 6 channels via analog? I don't have the Sony, but it doesn't appear to have the necessary analog outputs to do that. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

5.1 is 6 at my house. Though, I would have to say that analog from this player is PCM, because that's what DAs convert from.
Slim GoodBooty is offline  
post #749 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lparsons21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Art, I'm a bit confused. How will the Sony output 6 channels via analog? I don't have the Sony, but it doesn't appear to have the necessary analog outputs to do that. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

It offers 5.1 analog out which is L/R/SL/SR/C + sub, for 6 outputs which are on the back.

Lloyd
lparsons21 is offline  
post #750 of 4494 Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks lparsons21 for your reply to Ken Ross,

I used to believe in Sony. I owned ProFeel 25' component TV's and still use an ESP9ES Pre/Pro from Sony. I have a PSX800 linear tracking TT and of course there is my 1971 KV-1500 TV that still puts out an amazing picture after 36 years of continuous service.

I began to see the decline in Sony when I purchase a 32" Flat Panel KDL-32 XBR950. Sony advertised that it had a QAM tuner capable of bringing in all unscrambled cable digital channels in addition to its ATSC and NTSC tuners for OTA Digital and analog stations. Unfortunately, Sony lied there too. The tuner they used was a QAM64 tuner not a QAM256 tuner. Every cable system in the US uses QAM 256. I was furious when Sony would not give me my money back or exchange it. Now they lie about this unit. The only way to syop this crap is to vote with our wallets. I will return mine. I urge others to do the same. I am tired of being ripped off.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off