Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.

Quote:

Bummer. I was hoping this player would handle BD-J (Java) discs as efficiently as the PS3. Maybe a future firmware upgrade will remedy this.

There was a 5x8 piece of paper in the box that mentioned Java firmware upgrade I think. Didn't bring to work so can't quote it, someone else may have and quote what it said.

Blu-Ray: 40
Yamaha RX-V663
Sony BDP-S350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM

It seems this player has HDMI 1.3, but why doesn't Sony specifically say that? Why do they just mention xv.YCC?

It also seems clear from all the posts other than this site that it doesn't output DTS HD/MS but will support True HD with firmware upgrade.
post #63 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shack2009 View Post

It seems this player has HDMI 1.3, but why doesn't Sony specifically say that? Why do they just mention xv.YCC?

It also seems clear from all the posts other than this site that it doesn't output DTS HD/MS but will support True HD with firmware upgrade.

It may be a matter of semantics.

For me, if the player decodes the newer codecs to LPCM, then the support is there. And in many posts in this forum, this seems to be the case.

For others, they may be looking for something that passes, say TrueHD, straight to a receiver that will do the encoding. So far, no HDDVD or BluRay player does that.

And in many other sites, they do not have the unit and are just going by releases from Sony about this player that are a bit outdated from what is actually shipping.

I'll know the answers to those questions in just a bit as my 300 is on the Fedex truck on the way to my house as I type this...

Lloyd
post #64 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone please check if this player still has the jagged edges when paused over HDMI like the previous Sonys?
post #65 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone get their order for the 300 from Crutchfield yet?

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #66 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably because its 1.3 lite. They would have to meet all the specs for 1.3 in order to be licensed for it and advertise it as such. I'd guess they're picking and choosing what 1.3 features to add to an earlier release. It is more interesting that they don't quote any spec. On a more benevolent take, perhaps its so new it hasn't qualified yet to the spec.

I think this is one for HDMI org. to get to the bottom of.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #67 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 42
uw69: I almost did this morning... But One C... has a better deal, if you order one very small item and the 300 you can get it for under $485 or less shipped.
post #68 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 AM

How do you upgrade firmware on this? No ethernet port right, is that a concern at all?
post #69 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Probably because its 1.3 lite. They would have to meet all the specs for 1.3 in order to be licensed for it and advertise it as such. I'd guess they're picking and choosing what 1.3 features to add to an earlier release. It is more interesting that they don't quote any spec. On a more benevolent take, perhaps its so new it hasn't qualified yet to the spec.

HDMI guidelines specify manufacturers should not advertise the specific version of HDMI used, but rather any desirable features (deep color, xvYCC, etc.). This is to avoid consumer dissatisfaction if a product does not support an HDMI-optional feature. For example, advertising HDMI 1.3 means nothing as far as a product supporting new audio codecs, deep color, xvYCC, etc.

There is no "1.3 lite". To get the HDMI logo you simply have to support the mandatory features, which are rather skimpy.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #70 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have read the entire thread and it sounds like the PS3 is still the most backwards compatible player on the market. I am glad I purchased a PS3 that I only use to play Blu-rays because the games are still better on the XBOX360.

I would be mad if I bought a Blu-ray player only to discover that it is not compatible with new features. I am glad that none of my HD DVD players have this problem.
post #71 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

uw69: I almost did this morning... But One C... has a better deal, if you order one very small item and the 300 you can get it for under $485 or less shipped.

That's a good deal. I used this e-coupon 3A706 for Crutchfield and got $20 off the $499.00 price. Free shipping, ending up being $479 total. I'm sure there are better deals out there........

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #72 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Geaux Tigers: Ah, the Toshibas had huge problems with load times etc.. There still doing firmware updates to fix the various problems they have. In most cases a player of this type can be upgraded with a firmware update to fix or reslove any issues.(This can be done via a CD also) As far as the Xbox 360 goes, you are right, they have more games and it is a pretty advanced gaming system, but the PS3 was released a year later, they have some catching up to do....
post #73 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Anyone suggest how this compares with the Samsung BDP1200. Is this Sony a better way to go? It's cheaper but are you losing anything execept a ethernet port?
post #74 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

HDMI guidelines specify manufacturers should not advertise the specific version of HDMI used, but rather any desirable features (deep color, xvYCC, etc.). This is to avoid consumer dissatisfaction if a product does not support an HDMI-optional feature. For example, advertising HDMI 1.3 means nothing as far as a product supporting new audio codecs, deep color, xvYCC, etc.

There is no "1.3 lite". To get the HDMI logo you simply have to support the mandatory features, which are rather skimpy.

Thanks for your reply. This is the first product I have seen that upon a quick scan of the manual does not reference the HDMI logo, or credit HDMI Org in any way. You may be right about what it takes to minimally qualify for the Great Seal of Acceptance but there is plenty of discussion in the HDMI forum wherein HDMI Org reps have bemoaned manufacturers doing what you suggest they do, promote the feature not the spec. I speak specifically about Toshiba's marketing use of the "full color support" feature that HDMI 1.3 brings to the XA2. Does the XA2 even support full color?

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #75 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Geaux Tigers: Ah, the Toshibas had huge problems with load times etc.. There still doing firmware updates to fix the various problems they have. In most cases a player of this type can be upgraded with a firmware update to fix or reslove any issues.(This can be done via a CD also) As far as the Xbox 360 goes, you are right, they have more games and it is a pretty advanced gaming system, but the PS3 was released a year later, they have some catching up to do....

Garman,

The load times on the 1st Gen HD DVD players were slow. However, what I am referring to is the ability to use advanced features such as java on Blu-ray players. It is my understanding that the 1st Gen Blu-ray players can not be updated to make them compatible with new features like java on Blu-ray. However, the 1st Gen HD DVD players are compatible with the advanced features on HD DVD. I have been pleased with Toshiba's software updates for their HD DVD players.

The PS3 is a very good Blu-ray player. Sony had done a good job of updating the software and I have been pleased with my purchase. The PS3 has played every Blu-ray I have thrown its way. At first it sometimes had freezing problems but that was fixed through software upgrades. The HD DVD players also had this problem before software upgrades. The PS3 appears so far to be very future proof and I am therefore pleased with my purchase. My only knock against the PS3 is Sony's failure to include an IR sensor so the unit could be controlled by a universal remote. Hopefully, someone will find a good solution to this problem.

I hope the Sony BDP-300 is a good machine for those that buy it. It appears from what I have read so far that the PS3 is still a better buy.

I wish that we did not have two competing HD formats. Apparently, there was not enough sand to go around in the sand box. The only good thing from this is lower hardware and software prices for consumers. I believe we will have two competing formats for the foreseeable future. It would be nice if the studios would produce their movies in both formats to truly allow the consumers to decide. I would rather have a good universal player but at current prices and performance features that is a poor buy currently for consumers.
post #76 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

How do you upgrade firmware on this? No ethernet port right, is that a concern at all?

Sony has been releasing firmware for the BDP-S1 on their website for download. As long as you can download it and burn it to DVD, then there should be no concern.
post #77 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM

OK, so who's going to be the first to take a picture of the insides of one of these??
post #78 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not opening this up yet!

Mine finally showed up a few minutes ago, here is what I've looked at and checked :

1. 5.1 Analog outs are there
2. I can't check TrueHD and such until I get my other discs in, but 6.1 LPCM works fine
3. Picture is great, but darker than my other equipment, both SD and BluRay
4. SD playback is as good as my Tosh HDA2 and is wonderful
5. Pause stops with a great still

Overall, exactly as I expected, which is to say wonderful.

As soon as my other disks get here, I'll be able to check and ensure TrueHD and other codecs. Crank just has 6.1 LPCM and DTS-EX.

Lloyd
post #79 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_S View Post

OK, so who's going to be the first to take a picture of the insides of one of these??

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10775263

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
post #80 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=lparsons21]I'm not opening this up yet!

This statement concerns me. Could you elaborate?
post #81 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Now to find a preamp that has and HDMI loop-through. My Optoma HD81 has a loop out to run through a Pre/Pro or Receiver. Need to find a cheap unit with these characteristics.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #82 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=cdnscg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I'm not opening this up yet!

This statement concerns me. Could you elaborate?

The default video brightness was not as bright as it is from my HDDVD player nor my Sat HD receiver. During play I was able to change it to 'bright' and that was better.

But it wasn't real dark, just darker by a bit without that change.

Lloyd
post #83 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you experiencing a "dark" picture, are you using HDMI or component?

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
post #84 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

For those of you experiencing a "dark" picture, are you using HDMI or component?

I'm using HDMI.

Lloyd
post #85 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using HDMI.

Thanks...let us take a peek at it...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
post #86 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=lparsons21]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

The default video brightness was not as bright as it is from my HDDVD player nor my Sat HD receiver. During play I was able to change it to 'bright' and that was better.

But it wasn't real dark, just darker by a bit without that change.

Does the BD player have a 'bright' setting, or did you adjust your tv?
post #87 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=cdnscg]
Quote:

Does the BD player have a 'bright' setting, or did you adjust your tv?

Yes, the BD player does have a 'bright room' setting, but I didn't know that at first. I adjusted the TV brightness up just a bit and it looked very good.

Then I found that you could change the video setting on the player by going to the system menu while playing a BD. There you could pick a few things, one being 'bright room'.

I selected that, readjusted the TV back to where it had initially been and all was good.

Let me add that the room is bright right now, so that makes sense. I'll fiddle with it again tonight just to see how it all looks under different light conditions.

I'll be glad when my other disks show up, Crank is starting to get boring! And you can only take so much, no strike that, I can take more of Amy Smart's boob!

Lloyd
post #88 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM

You're just teasing....!!

The picture isn't high enough resolution to make out the revision of the Sigma chip... please, just throw us a bone, is it the right one for DTS-HD MA and (other hardware permitting) profile 1.1??
post #89 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

"Sigma Designs SMP8634LF"
post #90 of 4494 Old 06-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's a review I found online.
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...0_bl.html#more

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page