Official Sony Bdp-300/301 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official Sony Bdp-300/301 Owners Thread

Blu-ray Players

ryoohki's Avatar ryoohki
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #91 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 3,411
Joined: Oct 2002
http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/P...30_series.html

There a PDF on Profile 1.1 with that chip serie

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/P...ray8634_br.pdf
whippersnapper's Avatar whippersnapper
05:26 PM Liked: 11
post #92 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,555
Joined: Jun 2007
[quote=lparsons21]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post


Yes, the BD player does have a 'bright room' setting, but I didn't know that at first. I adjusted the TV brightness up just a bit and it looked very good.

Then I found that you could change the video setting on the player by going to the system menu while playing a BD. There you could pick a few things, one being 'bright room'.

I selected that, readjusted the TV back to where it had initially been and all was good.

Let me add that the room is bright right now, so that makes sense. I'll fiddle with it again tonight just to see how it all looks under different light conditions.

I'll be glad when my other disks show up, Crank is starting to get boring! And you can only take so much, no strike that, I can take more of Amy Smart's boob!

" I can take more of Amy Smart's boob!" Well, it's tough work, but someone's gotta do it! Enjoy the new player.
rbrb's Avatar rbrb
05:29 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 367
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

I can't wait to get this player, but I want to be sure of one thing first: Is it able to display an image on "pause" without having what looks like comb lines around edges? My current Sony DVD player and the original Sony Blu-Ray player I saw on demo both have this problem when I try to view the 20th Century Fox logo on pause (connected with HDMI). The Samsung player didn't have this problem.

I really hope this issue was corrected by Sony for this player.

I know what you mean. I hate having to sit there watching the Fox logo on pause with this problem also.
cpcat's Avatar cpcat
05:34 PM Liked: 10
post #94 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 6,471
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack View Post

For those of you experiencing a "dark" picture, are you using HDMI or component?

From the OM, there are settings to configure the HDMI/DVI output to YCbCr, RGB(15-235), and RGBPC (0-255). Excellent, assuming it functions correctly.

Also, the "source direct" setting for HDMI outputs "whatever is on the disc" which according to the OM will output 480i for SD and 1080p24 for HD. Very nice.
SOCCERrebel5's Avatar SOCCERrebel5
05:54 PM Liked: 10
post #95 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2007
Can somebody please verify that the new player can decode Dolby TrueHD and output it via the 5.1 analog outs? I am also curious about everyone's epinion about the sound quality and support overall. Thanks!
lparsons21's Avatar lparsons21
06:03 PM Liked: 17
post #96 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

From the OM, there are settings to configure the HDMI/DVI output to YCbCr, RGB(15-235), and RGBPC (0-255). Excellent, assuming it functions correctly.

Also, the "source direct" setting for HDMI outputs "whatever is on the disc" which according to the OM will output 480i for SD and 1080p24 for HD. Very nice.

I was just getting ready to post. I had done the quick setup, which really doesn't address the HDMI output, and it defaults to YCbCr. Setting it to RGB(15-235), which is what most current tvs expect, solved the dark issue.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross
06:26 PM Liked: 1574
post #97 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 24,694
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Probably because its 1.3 lite. They would have to meet all the specs for 1.3 in order to be licensed for it and advertise it as such. I'd guess they're picking and choosing what 1.3 features to add to an earlier release. It is more interesting that they don't quote any spec. On a more benevolent take, perhaps its so new it hasn't qualified yet to the spec.

I think this is one for HDMI org. to get to the bottom of.

Crutchfield site is pretty specific, it does say it has 1.3.
shack2009's Avatar shack2009
06:52 PM Liked: 10
post #98 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 66
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

Here's a review I found online.
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...0_bl.html#more

"...which looked excellent sans a bit of macro-blocking in several of the scenes with explosions..."

Macro-blockling! How can this be?
foxfan's Avatar foxfan
07:04 PM Liked: 10
post #99 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,013
Joined: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb View Post

I know what you mean. I hate having to sit there watching the Fox logo on pause with this problem also.

A little sarcasm, eh?

FYI, I was just mentioning the Fox logo as an EXAMPLE to see a problem that was visible on any still image. However, you might be surprised to see the inside jokes that you see with the HD version of that logo on pause (such as "Murdoch's" and "Chernin's" written in small print in the Hollywood background).
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:05 PM Liked: 10
post #100 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shack2009 View Post

"...which looked excellent sans a bit of macro-blocking in several of the scenes with explosions..."

Macro-blockling! How can this be?

It's a feature of compressing the crap out of video. It's always present to some degree.
shack2009's Avatar shack2009
07:11 PM Liked: 10
post #101 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 66
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

It's a feature of compressing the crap out of video. It's always present to some degree.

I thought BR had such a fast bit rate you would never see this? Are some players better than others? Or is it more about the disk? MPEG4 or something
SOCCERrebel5's Avatar SOCCERrebel5
07:14 PM Liked: 10
post #102 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2007
I've heard that several players are having trouble loading and playing POTC. The review that was posted (via a link) also mentions it. I'm a little confused. My understanding was that Java was really only used when trying to perform functions such as PIP, not straightforward playback. Presuming this player is profile 1.0 rather than 1.1, would that mean that any BD with advanced menus and such (like POTC) will not be played quickly and smoothly even if only trying to play the main feature??
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:15 PM Liked: 10
post #103 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shack2009 View Post

I thought BR had such a fast bit rate you would never see this? Are some players better than others?

I've mentioned it before. Actually, BD seems to suffer fro it more than HDDVD. It isn't cable/sat type macroblocking though. It's quick and small nd most people most likely don't even notice it. As these are the kinds of scenes that are known to have it, I'm sure that serious efforts were made to put the breaks on it. Maybe the bitrates that some BDs have just can't be sucked off of a disc at the present time.
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:16 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

I've heard that several players are having trouble loading and playing POTC. The review that was posted (via a link) also mentions it. I'm a little confused. My understanding was that Java was really only used when trying to perform functions such as PIP, not straightforward playback. Presuming this player is profile 1.0 rather than 1.1, would that mean that any BD with advanced menus and such (like POTC) will not be played quickly and smoothly even if only trying to play the main feature??

The Pirates discs are BD-J from start to finish.
SOCCERrebel5's Avatar SOCCERrebel5
07:25 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2007
So basically it doesn't matter how great the player's picture quality and audio quality are. If Sony cannot do a firmwire update that makes the player profile 1.1 there will be many BD's in the future that the player will have difficulty with. That really sucks. I thought I had finally found the player that I was going to purchase. Any input on this is welcome.
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:29 PM Liked: 10
post #106 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

So basically it doesn't matter how great the player's picture quality and audio quality are. If Sony cannot do a firmwire update that makes the player profile 1.1 there will be many BD's in the future that the player will have difficulty with. That really sucks. I thought I had finally found the player that I was going to purchase. Any input on this is welcome.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe that this is the future of BD. They may never get this right on a machine that normal folks can afford. It would be better for all if Sony was t fix this now, if it can be fixed.
ryoohki's Avatar ryoohki
07:30 PM Liked: 10
post #107 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 3,411
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by shack2009 View Post

"...which looked excellent sans a bit of macro-blocking in several of the scenes with explosions..."

Macro-blockling! How can this be?

SANS = French for ,without , Not, never, NADA in that case

Traduction :

Witch looked excelent without macro blocking in several of the scense with explosions...
ryoohki's Avatar ryoohki
07:32 PM Liked: 10
post #108 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 3,411
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

I've mentioned it before. Actually, BD seems to suffer fro it more than HDDVD. It isn't cable/sat type macroblocking though. It's quick and small nd most people most likely don't even notice it. As these are the kinds of scenes that are known to have it, I'm sure that serious efforts were made to put the breaks on it. Maybe the bitrates that some BDs have just can't be sucked off of a disc at the present time.

HD DVD have another problem, most notably in Warner BD disc, it's called Posterization and it's there on most of their release..
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:34 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

SANS = French for ,without , Not, never, NADA in that case

Traduction :

Witch looked excelent without macro blocking in several of the scense with explosions...

Not that I actually understood your post, but what I think you said makes no sense in the context of that sentence.
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
07:36 PM Liked: 10
post #110 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

HD DVD have another problem, most notably in Warner BD disc, it's called Posterization and it's there on most of their release..

I see that and banding on lots of high bandwidth BDs as well. Either they can't get rid of it or won't. It is early in the formats, but not really early in the decoding.
lparsons21's Avatar lparsons21
07:38 PM Liked: 17
post #111 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

So basically it doesn't matter how great the player's picture quality and audio quality are. If Sony cannot do a firmwire update that makes the player profile 1.1 there will be many BD's in the future that the player will have difficulty with. That really sucks. I thought I had finally found the player that I was going to purchase. Any input on this is welcome.

So the latest hot movie on BluRay is not so hot in terms of performance? Then why put it out in a form that current players will all have problems with?

The S300 is 2nd generation, not the 'newest technology'. I would expect that the 2nd gen products wouludn't have the same problems that the 1st gen do.
shinksma's Avatar shinksma
07:41 PM Liked: 16
post #112 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 2,859
Joined: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

SANS = French for ,without , Not, never, NADA in that case

Traduction :

Witch looked excelent without macro blocking in several of the scense with explosions...

Though your translation is technically correct, I don't believe it is the intent of the review. English speakers tend to abuse the true meaning of foreign phrases.

I think what they were trying to say was "which looked excellent except for a little macro blocking in several of the scenes with explosions..."

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma
SOCCERrebel5's Avatar SOCCERrebel5
07:45 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

So the latest hot movie on BluRay is not so hot in terms of performance? Then why put it out in a form that current players will all have problems with?

The S300 is 2nd generation, not the 'newest technology'. I would expect that the 2nd gen products wouludn't have the same problems that the 1st gen do.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, so please take no offense if I assume incorrectly...

While I completely agree that any BD, especially the really popular titles like POTC, should perform superbly on any BD player and that a 2nd generation player like the S300 should handle it all flawlessly, that does not change the fact that many people have reportly trouble loading titles like POTC. The samsung 1200, and now the s300 as well. Both of these may be upgradable to fix this problem, I don't know.
lparsons21's Avatar lparsons21
07:52 PM Liked: 17
post #114 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCCERrebel5 View Post

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, so please take no offense if I assume incorrectly...

While I completely agree that any BD, especially the really popular titles like POTC, should perform superbly on any BD player and that a 2nd generation player like the S300 should handle it all flawlessly, that does not change the fact that many people have reportly trouble loading titles like POTC. The samsung 1200, and now the s300 as well. Both of these may be upgradable to fix this problem, I don't know.

We are saying the same thing. All BD titles should run great on ALL BD players, especially 2nd Generation players. There is literally no valid excuse for this to be a non-issue. Is it because the specification isn't finalized? Is it because all that BD-J really doesn't work well? Is it because the mfgs and the studios don't communicate well?

Movies produced today should be supported by players mfg'd today PERIOD. This shouldn't have to be said, it is what makes sense.

/rant on
Unfortunately, these kinds of problems are all over CE these days. From BD players with BD-J problems, to HDDVD players having problems with some disks after frequent use, to AVR equipment described one way but really not doing what their own manuals say, heck even what their own tech support says.

Meanwhile, they are all lined up to take our money.
/rant off
shinksma's Avatar shinksma
07:53 PM Liked: 16
post #115 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 2,859
Joined: Oct 2006
My suspicion about why heavy Java-oriented titles like POTC are problematic is that standalone players simply do not have the horsepower to process the Java code. Java can really bog down a non-optimized platform, and my bet is that the PS3 is optimized for it (perhaps due to the gaming architecture) but the other players are just overwhelmed by the not-quite streamlined Java code.

This is strongly IMHO, in fact it is highly speculative, since I have no inside info on what is really happening inside the units, so YMMV,

shinksma
SOCCERrebel5's Avatar SOCCERrebel5
07:54 PM Liked: 10
post #116 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 2007
People have stated that the S300 supports all of the advanced audio (TrueHD, DD+, and DTS-HD) via PCM. Can somebody who owns the player please check to see if these are also supported through the 5.1 analog outs and how good the sound quality is? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
whippersnapper's Avatar whippersnapper
07:57 PM Liked: 11
post #117 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,555
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

So the latest hot movie on BluRay is not so hot in terms of performance? Then why put it out in a form that current players will all have problems with?

The S300 is 2nd generation, not the 'newest technology'. I would expect that the 2nd gen products wouludn't have the same problems that the 1st gen do.

I came to this thread (and will be back in the future) to get feedback from S300 owners. I know it's very early so you're in the vanguard of owners. So I appreciate your continued input. I also notice that there appear to be a lot of folks who have come here just to "blow smoke". Hopefully I'll be able to differentiate between the real "owners" and the smoke blowers. From what I've been able to piece together, I think you make a good move getting this player.
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar Slim GoodBooty
08:02 PM Liked: 10
post #118 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 4,179
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

I came to this thread (and will be back in the future) to get feedback from S300 owners. I know it's very early so you're in the vanguard of owners. So I appreciate your continued input. I also notice that there appear to be a lot of folks who have come here just to "blow smoke". Hopefully I'll be able to differentiate between the real "owners" and the smoke blowers. From what I've been able to piece together, I think you make a good move getting this player.

I'm not unhappy to have one, but I am concerned about the POTC thing.
lparsons21's Avatar lparsons21
08:07 PM Liked: 17
post #119 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

My suspicion about why heavy Java-oriented titles like POTC are problematic is that standalone players simply do not have the horsepower to process the Java code. Java can really bog down a non-optimized platform, and my bet is that the PS3 is optimized for it (perhaps due to the gaming architecture) but the other players are just overwhelmed by the not-quite streamlined Java code.

This is strongly IMHO, in fact it is highly speculative, since I have no inside info on what is really happening inside the units, so YMMV,

shinksma

From interpreting the different reports, I think you are spot on. But it doesn't matter why, it matters that it is! If we as consumers of these products expect it to change we have to be very vociferous to the mfgs and studios about their products performance.

I'm already doing that with another mfg and with an online video rental service. We are just about at the point where I'm gonna keep my money!
lparsons21's Avatar lparsons21
08:10 PM Liked: 17
post #120 of 4494
06-14-2007 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

I'm not unhappy to have one, but I am concerned about the POTC thing.

I'm with you!

Tonight just happens to be the night I'm feeling frustrated. I want HiDef DVDs to succeed, whichever wins the war. It won't happen if the technology doesn't get more stable. While J6P might not read here, he does read or listen elsewhere. How impressed do you think he's gonna be when POTC or other demo doesn't work very well?

I'll tell you how. The plastic will stay in his wallet.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3