PS3 VS all other bluerays!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone-

Looking into a Ps3 for blueray playback and was wondering if I will see any issues using that as me primary Blueray playback as in picture quality/ load times ect.... I have a new Pioneer elite plasma and I hear I can now use 1080p/24 on that tv now with the PS3.

I was wondering why people buy regular bluerays when the ps3's are similar in price and you seem to get alot more!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

mr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riosrancho View Post

I was wondering why people buy regular bluerays when the ps3's are similar in price and you seem to get alot more!

My reasons for not getting a PS3 were
  • PS3 lacks Infrared Remote (can't be integrated into my Universal Remote)
  • PS3 lacks analog outputs

These two reasons made it a complete non-starter for my needs.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #3 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 72
riosrancho: Right now I own both.. To touch on SimpleTheaters remarks.

PS3:
- You can buy an infrared remote, and you can get a Universal to work with it. (if you don't know
what your doing though it is a pain)
- Now this one would be nice to have.. Analog outputs would be a plus for the PS3
- Can be noisy at times

+ Easy to upgrade to give better features future codecs and sound formats.
+ You can take an SD card right out of your camera and view pictures
+ Works as a network and a music server
+ Gaming system to only get better
+ upscaling DVDs so they look even better
+ High Def downloads for games and eventually movies..
+ Internet excess
+ PSP intergration is way cool.
+ etc...

Now the BDP-S300 Sorry didn't see the all other Blu-Ray players, but this is one I have and it is the easiest to compare.

- harder to access updates etc..
- doesn't do a lot of what the PS3 does
- decoding all sound formats still questionable
- if HD-DVD wins the war you got a great CD/DVD Player this could be a positive as well

+ Great fast movie player
+ Seems to decode all the sound formats I care about.
+ Good upscaling DVD Player
+ Great HD Blu-Ray play back
+ Good stand alone player that is quite.

I am sure I am missing something..... but then agains I just got this...
The big question is what do you need?
post #4 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

biggest difference is that ps3 has network access hence firmware updates are trivial. also ps3's processor is much faster than the one in the separates so ps3 is a lot more responsive. Infra red is doable like it was in ps2 via usb. ps3 will eventually become a universal digital media player (right now lots of codecs are missing) and it can access data from the san via ethernet. user interface in ps3 is better quality too.
post #5 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

The PS3 is the only player right now that can reliably and quickly load BD java menus like the one on the Pirates disks. Other players chug thru loading those and some just lock up at the site of them. Far all of it's shortcomings I still think it's the BD player to have right now. I have gotten very fond of down loading theatrical trailers in HD from the PS store as well. The new Transformers trailer is awesome.

Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D
post #6 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 PM

okay. i went by the Sony-Style store today (Santa Monica, CA). I want to get a Blu-Ray player and am deciding between a stand-alone and the PS3. Now I started talking to the sales rep there and he told me that if the price was the same (not sure of the model but the stand-alone for $499 and the 20GB PS3 $499) he would recommend getting the standalone player.

His reasons were (1) - it would run smoother/faster, (2) the PS3 would wear out faster then the stand-alone player, (3) the DVD upscaling wasn't as good in the PS3 because it was done in software not in hardware, and (4) he said something about how the stand-alone player would have the disc constantly spinning and provide a better picture - where the PS3 would have the disc stop and spin, stop and spin (also contributing to the wearing out quicker faster.

Now, I don't know much but it sounds to me like these are all bs reasons. Can anyone give any truth to these? The sales rep also did not know about the firmware update 1.8 and told me that as of today the PS3 DOES NOT upscale DVDs (which is just wrong). He also said that the first blu-ray player came out only 1 month before the PS3 (which i thought was in June 06 not Oct 06) - so it sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.
post #7 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam View Post

okay. i went by the Sony-Style store today (Santa Monica, CA). I want to get a Blu-Ray player and am deciding between a stand-alone and the PS3. Now I started talking to the sales rep there and he told me that if the price was the same (not sure of the model but the stand-alone for $499 and the 20GB PS3 $499) he would recommend getting the standalone player.

His reasons were (1) - it would run smoother/faster, (2) the PS3 would wear out faster then the stand-alone player, (3) the DVD upscaling wasn't as good in the PS3 because it was done in software not in hardware, and (4) he said something about how the stand-alone player would have the disc constantly spinning and provide a better picture - where the PS3 would have the disc stop and spin, stop and spin (also contributing to the wearing out quicker faster.

Now, I don't know much but it sounds to me like these are all bs reasons. Can anyone give any truth to these? The sales rep also did not know about the firmware update 1.8 and told me that as of today the PS3 DOES NOT upscale DVDs (which is just wrong). He also said that the first blu-ray player came out only 1 month before the PS3 (which i thought was in June 06 not Oct 06) - so it sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Guy is clueless.
post #8 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

rfisher: No problems loading the Pirates on the 300 yet, only played the 2nd movie though.

desmond212: Not totally clueless (but pretty close) ; ) , it depends on the motor there using in the PS3, I bet it is a decent one, sure it might wear out faster (than a stand alone) if your using it constantly with the games and movies.. Not sure what motors are being used in stand alone or the PS3, and the 1.8 upgrade allows you do upscale DVDs so he is majorly clueless on this of course.
post #9 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I found the PS3 very noisy and the interface clumsy (lack of traditional remote and menus). Outside of those two issues it was great.
post #10 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
i thought implementing ps3 to a IR universal remote requires getting a logitech harmony remote and even then there are some functions missing and slow responses.

if there's a solution (the usb mentioned) that could allow my sony universal remote to work with ps3, please share the info.
post #11 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Liked: 13
For some, the lack of analog inputs is irrelevant. For others, it is a "would have been nice".

For SimpleTheater, myself, and many others, it is a non-starter. I am not willing to give up lossless audio, and I do not intend to upgrade an 18 month old receiver just to get hdmi.

Viver e nao ter a vergonha de ser feliz
post #12 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I know it entails using something from the PS2 and that's all I know.
post #13 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone-

Looking into a Ps3 for blueray playback and was wondering if I will see any issues using that as me primary Blueray playback as in picture quality/ load times ect.... I have a new Pioneer elite plasma and I hear I can now use 1080p/24 on that tv now with the PS3.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

one word, noise! As in the PS3 sounds like a hair dryer once it gets warm. I sold my PS3 and am patiently waiting for my Sony BDP300 to arrive
post #14 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

i thought implementing ps3 to a IR universal remote requires getting a logitech harmony remote and even then there are some functions missing and slow responses.

if there's a solution (the usb mentioned) that could allow my sony universal remote to work with ps3, please share the info.

http://www.remotecentral.com/article...ir-remote2.htm
post #15 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The PS3 is awesome. Id suggest buying it over a standalone for the ton of extra features it has. (Picture slideshow, MP3s, steaming, download trailers, download free demo games, access the internet, WiFi)

The IR problem is annoying. But other than that, its awesome.
post #16 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

I think it comes down to whether you like the complete PS3 feature set or not. If you like to play games, download HD trailers, stream content from your PC, need a Photo or MP3 player, or am concerned about futureproofing via firmware upgrades, then the PS3 is the way to go. If not, then a stand-alone player might be your best bet.
post #17 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

also should be mentioned is that if you can leave the ps3 in an open air area standing on its side, u should not have any noise problems. most ppl with noise problems have their ps3's in a not very well ventilated area.
post #18 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!! thanks for all the ideas!!! I dabble in gaming...but the movies are my bread and butter. My components are in a different room than my TV . Is that an issue because of the remote? I now have a remote antenna that works my sat and current dvd player.

Thanks Folks!!

mr
post #19 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow!! thanks for all the ideas!!! I dabble in gaming...but the movies are my bread and butter. My components are in a different room than my TV . Is that an issue because of the remote? I now have a remote antenna that works my sat and current dvd player.

Thanks Folks!!

not sure what the range is for blu-ray and whether or not it can be detected through walls.
post #20 of 81 Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Folks!!

if you do the ir setup for ps3 it will work.
post #21 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 04:53 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've been shown this before. It's a cute workaround, but its far from a solution. You still lack significant functionality - a lot of which is the advanced blu-ray capabilities that were never available on DVD, like the pop-up menu function.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
post #22 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

not sure what the range is for blu-ray and whether or not it can be detected through walls.

My PS3 is in a closet that is adjacent to our living room and it works fine.
post #23 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond212
http://www.remotecentral.com/articl...-ir-remote2.htm

Quote:
"I've been shown this before. It's a cute workaround, but its far from a solution. You still lack significant functionality - a lot of which is the advanced blu-ray capabilities that were never available on DVD, like the pop-up menu function."

I've been using this remote work around for months now...no proplem with pop-up menus at all.

Lee
post #24 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bombard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond212
http://www.remotecentral.com/articl...-ir-remote2.htm

Quote:
"I've been shown this before. It's a cute workaround, but its far from a solution. You still lack significant functionality - a lot of which is the advanced blu-ray capabilities that were never available on DVD, like the pop-up menu function."

I've been using this remote work around for months now...no proplem with pop-up menus at all.

Lee

same here.
post #25 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never heard my 20G PS3 spinning unless i'm unplugging something from the back.

I don't mind using the controller as the remote. In the dark, I never hunt for buttons, and I've never had to point it anywhere, unlike IR. But i also don't mind 5 remotes sitting around.
post #26 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks Folks!!

I was in the same boat as you a while ago and purchased a PS3 at a good price with trade in on PS2. I have tried the SONY original player and exchanged that for the SAMSUNG1200. I can honestly tell you that I truly regret selling my PS3 and wish I kept it. I don't see a huge difference in PQ and my PS3 had never been updated to 1.8, just a slightly better pic on the SAMSUNG. If you can live with having more than one remote the PS3 with bluetooth can be located in the other room because it can be noisy at times. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the PS3 and save alit of time and money going back and forth between players. Best of all I know that every disk I throw at it would probably play with out any glitches at all. I miss my PS3 it was a great BR player...
post #27 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Sax
Advanced Member

I have the 20g PS3, and I'am very happy with. I can't even hear mine, even after watching a 2 hour movie, my fan never kicks on.
post #28 of 81 Old 06-16-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I love my PS3. I can hardly hear it. My JVC TV is louder. I use it as my CD player, DVD player, BD player, occasional game player, and SACD player. SACD is awesome!! I bought a H/K AVR 745 and I am in HT heaven. I bought the 20GB PS3 for $499 shipped from amazon.
post #29 of 81 Old 06-17-2007, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Well since I have the PS3 now and the BDP-300, I must say both are very good. But the PS3 still seems to be quicker at reading any disc I throw at it. The PS3 will stay in my main HT room and the BDP-S300 will be moved upstairs..... Picture quality on both is great..
post #30 of 81 Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi everyone-

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I cannot recommend it because:

- noisy
- gets extremly hot (and the BR discs get hot as well)
- no infra-red remote only Bluetooth

It seems there is a way to make it work with an infrared remote but I don't know how successful it is.

Other than that, it is pretty fast and it works fine.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page