What big BD announcement is happening tomorrow, if anything? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
See topic. Insiders/whoever have suggested that yesterday's two BD hardware releases, round of promotional deal start-ups, and the Blockbuster Video announcement were just the first wave of a BD "throat-cutting" assault they have planned beginning this week - the week that, apparently, marks the one year anniversay of the BD format launch.

They have suggested that we should all prepare for some very big news from the BDA camp tomorrow, the very day that officially marks the anniversary.

Some have suggested/hoped that the announcement of the Spider-man trilogy and Kill Bill, along with an additional firm late-summer/fall release schedule will be announced and perhaps be the least of what they reveal.

So anyway...what's your take on all this? Is something really gonna happen tomorrow or what? Who knows and who cares?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM

How about a revised release schedule for the rest of the year featuring the delayed fox titles, the missing Warner titles (including Matrix), all the Huge summer movies from Sony and Disney. This would be coupled with announcements of continued exclusivity from Disney and Fox.

THis would likely be enough to kill off HD DVD.

Better announcements would be for Universal to go neutral, another retailer dropping HD DVD, or some other clear format war ending gesture.

Personally I doubt it will be as good as any of this, but here is to hoping.
post #3 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Every good news for Blu-ray is good news for the HD world!

Go Blu!!!

Blu-ray is the way!
post #4 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Blu-Ray View Post

Every good news for Blu-ray is good news for the HD world!

Go Blu!!!

well when sony said they had big announcement for ps3 and it turned out to be taht agency game, was rather underwhelming. this might turn out to be something like that too. could even end up an announcement of some title we already know is coming out.
post #5 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
These are just wishful guesses:

1. Weinstein might announce support for Blu-ray. They have no new HD DVD releases scheduled, and their BB is their rental partner, so it makes a bit of sense. However, Weinstein is very mercurial so I would count on nothing.
2. PS3 price reduction. This is probably too early, I expect it in September.
3. My favorite is that Fox returns. They just had a full-page ad in homemediamagazine.com, declaring their exclusivity to Blu-ray, so perhaps something is up.
4. Wildest dream would be Universal. While I discount this almost completely, I wouldn't want to have Ken Graffeo's Christmas bonus plan!

I don't find the announcement of titles per se to be all that important, especially catalog. We are seeing that catalog titles just don't have the impact people would have hoped. We need something that changes the structure of the situation, not just more blue boxes.

I also keep wondering if Sony and Toshiba might be thinking about having another conversation but it is too soon for that.
post #6 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

I bet it may have something to do with Ps3 price reduction.
post #7 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

that's been denied many times by the Tretton guy. i can cite, if you want.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #8 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

1. Weinstein might announce support for Blu-ray. They have no new HD DVD releases scheduled, and their BB is their rental partner, so it makes a bit of sense. However, Weinstein is very mercurial so I would count on nothing.

i wonder if weinstein is staying with hd-dvd in spite of disney, if that's the case they likely wont switch sides until war is officially over.
Quote:

2. PS3 price reduction. This is probably too early, I expect it in September.

i don't think ps3 price drop would be considered a BD announcement.
Quote:

3. My favorite is that Fox returns. They just had a full-page ad in homemediamagazine.com, declaring their exclusivity to Blu-ray, so perhaps something is up.

a release date for predator and alien series would be sweet.
Quote:

4. Wildest dream would be Universal. While I discount this almost completely, I wouldn't want to have Ken Graffeo's Christmas bonus plan!

coupled with release dates for king kong and fearless =)

Quote:

I also keep wondering if Sony and Toshiba might be thinking about having another conversation but it is too soon for that.

i dont think this would be announced even if it does happen.
post #9 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If the PS3 lowers it price, I will take back my BDP-300 and buy another one.... I do like the BDP-300 it is very quite but the PS3 seems to be the best updated HD player out of any format and it does more....
post #10 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:41 AM

It would be nice if they would drop the price of the just release $500 player to $300 to compete with the lower cost HD DVD player. But in reality it will probably just be some new title announcement.
post #11 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM

With the S300 out I believe they will announce their next player. I also expect them to annnounce the date for Spiderman box set for October.

They might also announce the third party Chinese players.

But what you will get is Sony announcing the war is over........again.
post #12 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Devil View Post

But what you will get is Sony announcing the war is over........again.

I don't need to hear that again from Sony (and especially not from Fox in absentia).
post #13 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm, well...with Fox sidelined, many of the other studios/CEs acting so cautious lately, and the fact that there was already a big announcement from a non-BDA company this Monday (the Blockbuster thing)...I'd imagine that if anything IS really planned for tomorrow....that most/all of the announcements would be coming from only Sony, regarding the things that they directly control.

So things like the announcement of a new upcoming Sony stand-alone, the Spider-man trilogy, or some Sony-related price reductions (maybe dropping the price of Sony Pictures movie software?!) - seem like they would be the most likely things to happen.

I don't really imagine that non-Sony companies will have a great deal to say/announce. However, since there have been some serious rumblings about Target exclusivity and mass Chinese BD players - I wouldn't be completely shocked if one of those two things happened. And those are the kind of MAJOR things that would be worth calling a "throat-cutting" event or what have you.
post #14 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, TODAY it's been announced Starz Home Entertainment (formerly Anchor Bay) is going Blu-ray, and MGM has pledged about a dozen titles coming within a year's time (really, that's not a lot, but a start), including the Sergio Leone anthology box set. That makes me happy.

Hadn't heard the Target nugget before. Cool.

My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!
post #15 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

well when sony said they had big announcement for ps3 and it turned out to be taht agency game, was rather underwhelming. this might turn out to be something like that too. could even end up an announcement of some title we already know is coming out.

the agency is a great game. sony online for the ps3 is fantastic news. what did you think they were going to put a hddvd player in it/
post #16 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88 View Post

Well, TODAY it's been announced Starz Home Entertainment (formerly Anchor Bay) is going Blu-ray, and MGM has pledged about a dozen titles coming within a year's time (really, that's not a lot, but a start), including the Sergio Leone anthology box set.

Well, this is definitely some crazy s*** and nothing to sneeze at. I know if the same things had happened instead for the HD DVD camp, they would be trumpeting it like it was "world-beater" stuff. I didn't know any of this info. Interesting...
post #17 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma View Post

Well, this is definitely some crazy s*** and nothing to sneeze at. I know if the same things had happened instead for the HD DVD camp, they would be trumpeting it like it was "world-beater" stuff. I didn't know any of this info. Interesting...

Dude, drop the rhetoric already. It's freaking BORING having to wade through posts like yours just to find information.

Does anyone know if MGM announced a date for the Leone movies?

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #18 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

maybe they'll announce Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and other postponed titles.
post #19 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

New dates and a plethora of blockbusters and catalog announced titles with dates would be most likely, as well as things like the Target and StarzHD/AnchorBay announcements. If they want a nail in the coffin, the much desired Universal going neutral would be all it takes.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #20 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

If it is a reduction for the PS3, count on Microsoft dropping the 360 to $199 ASAP and Nintendo to drop the Wii to $199 ASAP. That would kill any possible PS3 sales, unless they are going to sell the PS3 for Less tham $300, which they would lose a few more billion dollars on it, no biggie.
post #21 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What I would like to see is all movie and format providers produce in both BD and HD DVD then let the manufactures of the players bring the best they have to the tables and let the consumer decide rather then letting who has the most movie studios behide them decide.Let the consumer decide not the Manuactures
post #22 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The PSP 2
LoL

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #23 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

If it is a reduction for the PS3, count on Microsoft dropping the 360 to $199 ASAP and Nintendo to drop the Wii to $199 ASAP. That would kill any possible PS3 sales, unless they are going to sell the PS3 for Less tham $300, which they would lose a few more billion dollars on it, no biggie.

There's no reason for Nintendo to drop their prices. They're making money hand over fist and can't make enough of them as it is. Supposedly, they're ramping up production. I guess if they make too many, then maybe they'd drop the price. Then those who already bought a PS3 or XBox with no intention of getting a Wii might spring.

post #24 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

What I would like to see is all movie and format providers produce in both BD and HD DVD then let the manufactures of the players bring the best they have to the tables and let the consumer decide rather then letting who has the most movie studios behide them decide.Let the consumer decide not the Manuactures

Three problems:

1.) Most people are stupid. So letting an uneducated public decide is not the best idea, sadly. Think how many people on this forum have questions. The public, by comparison, is completely clueless and needs to pay a CC employee to hook up their stuff. Even letting all the forum members educate the public would take years the formats just don't have.

2.) As evidenced by WB there is a strong temptation to produce content catering to the lowest denominator. I.e. if you optimize everything for HD DVD and just put the same exact files on a BD, one format never has a chance to outshine the other. The way it is now we get Sony and Disney pushing things to their limit on BD. Not sure they'd do that if they had to have a version optimized for HD DVD as well. Time consuming. Paramount is sort of trying though. Once they come around to lossless audio, they might make a good model studio for the "everybody neutral" model, but I don't think it's practical.

3.) And even if the software were to draw even, looking at hardware, it's Toshiba vs. the World, since they've priced all the CE out of entering the game. They'd rather build BD players and make a few bucks off them...seeing as how they're not making money off each disc sold.

post #25 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88 View Post

Three problems:

1.) Most people are stupid. So letting an uneducated public decide is not the best idea, sadly. Think how many people on this forum have questions. The public, by comparison, is completely clueless and needs to pay a CC employee to hook up their stuff. Even letting all the forum members educate the public would take years the formats just don't have.

2.) As evidenced by WB there is a strong temptation to produce content catering to the lowest denominator. I.e. if you optimize everything for HD DVD and just put the same exact files on a BD, one format never has a chance to outshine the other. The way it is now we get Sony and Disney pushing things to their limit on BD. Not sure they'd do that if they had to have a version optimized for HD DVD as well. Time consuming. Paramount is sort of trying though. Once they come around to lossless audio, they might make a good model studio for the "everybody neutral" model, but I don't think it's practical.

3.) And even if the software were to draw even, looking at hardware, it's Toshiba vs. the World, since they've priced all the CE out of entering the game. They'd rather build BD players and make a few bucks off them...seeing as how they're not making money off each disc sold.

1.) I would have to agree with the most people stupid quote look they did elect Bush again.

2.) Can be done

3.) Oh they are making money off the dvd
post #26 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sony has already announced that they have improved the Blu-ray diode manufacturing to decrease its cost by $100. Thus a $100 price reduction for the PS3 will happen soon.

What I think they should do is to reintroduce the 20GB and add 20GB to both their models. Then they can advertise increased capability and decreased price. That would be a $399 40Gb and $499 80GB.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick R
post #27 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

That would be a $399 40Gb and $499 80GB.

That sounds like an excellent plan for the holidays. I would love to buy an 80GB silver for the front room and move the 60GB black to the bedroom...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #28 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 02:20 PM

From the home office of the VMD Consortium...
The Top 5 Possible Big BD-related Announcements for Tomorrow:

5) The long-overdue firing of several key Sony Pictures personnel for having secretly replaced all "House of Flying Daggers" Blu-Rays with regular DVD discs.

4) Official thanks from Jason Statham for making his last sucky movie so successful after its theatrical release. In honor of the occasion he will air-kick several HD-DVD copies of Serenity.

3) "Movie Edition" PS3's which omit the SIXAXIS in favor of the media remote control, because, face it, no-one's playing games on these things.

2) Disney finally brings its animated classics to Blu-Ray, ostensibly starting off with The Little Mermaid, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Lion King just so dorks can go frame by frame and see the naughty subliminal stuff.

1) "Your Blu-Ray players are now ::snap:: obsolete. Introducing...VIO-RAY!"
post #29 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Of the many folks who buy a Blu-ray player tomorrow, 100 will be randomly selected from online product registrations and presented with one of Sony's new top of the line HDTVs.

By the way, I'm just making this up so don't pass it on as a rumor.
post #30 of 162 Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure that it won't be a PS3 announcement (wait for late Q3 for that), and I believe it has been mentioned that it will be "movie-related". I would guess that with the insider info that BD+ is ramping up for primeitime we will see Fox re-emerge and provide a release schedule, possibly with Disney as well. Probably they will do it with a few key release titles (Cars, Aliens movies) etc.

What I would LIKE to see (not that the above wouldn't be nice) is Warner announce that they really (no, I mean really) are going to catch up the BD releases before the holidays. Specifically the Matrix movies, Batman Begins, and V for Vendetta.

Be a Reality fanboy.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page